Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Villain

A classic Victorian men’s cologne: a lavender fougere, with hints of lilac, lime, and citrus musk.

Once again I should trust my instincts...

Wet - lavender, and a soapy lavender at that

Dry - over the years I have grown to loathe lavender and I am not quite sure why. Maybe it is because it turns into shaving cream on me? And that's what this one turns into - men's shaving cream. I would love to try this out on the DH but I dislike it so much on me that I think I would have a hard time smelling it on him with a clean slate.

Swap-o-rama on this.

this one changes a whole lot at first..

from lavender baby shampoo (i use baby shampoo to remove my makeup... so that's a smell i know well).... to flea shampoo (the good smelling kind, but still. Hartz flea shampoo) and finally to aerosol shaving cream (Barbasol, i think. in the red and white can)

so i smell like i scrubbed my face clean, then washed and shaved the cat.

:P

I bought this one for me because lavender as a rule quite likes me. I dabbed some on before I scampered off for work...

And I realized I smelled like my Dad. I'm not quite sure what in it smelled like my Dad, but it must have been some sort of scent memory. This is not to say it smells bad, because it didn't, but it smelled manly...my Dad is a manly man (a Contractor).

So at this point I decided well - I must try it on the husband but ONLY if it doesn't make him smell like Dad because eww. And on him, it totally doesn't smell anything like it does on me. Apparently body chemistry is genetic :P

I'm unable to pick out any of the notes individually when I smelled this on me. On my Hubby I get a definite citrusey lavender. Very good smelling. And clean.

Villain makes me smell like my dad too! It smells very similar to this mug of Old Spice solid shaving cream he used to use. I loved to sit in the bathroom while he whipped up some shaving cream and put on his "clown face." Ah memories.

This is definately a masculine scent, but still very soft and spicy. I never would have guessed Villain would smell like Old Spice based on the description. Glad I got a frimp. I'd buy a bottle for my dad, but I somehow doubt he would wear it.

Surprisingly, I actually like this. I read "lime and citrus" and shuddered in horror, but this is actually a very clean, fresh scent. Definitely has a masculine quality to it, but the overall effect is "hot guy scent on my sheets," not "rugged Cowboy." I get mostly the lavendar and lilac here, and yet somehow it's still masculine. Touch of lime, and not really musky at all.

In the imp: Fiesty lavender and citrus.

On me: Classic victorian men's cologne. Too masculine for me. Niceish, tho ^^

ETA: Have had to wash it off. Nice scent, but I got tired of smelling like a man and put on something more feminine :P

Edited by SeaLady

In the imp: heavy on the lavender, mild on the citrus musk...didn't get any obvious lilac or lime from it.

wet: hard to describe...I was instantly transported back to childhood, sitting in a smokey bar watching and listening to my dad play his bass with paino and drum set accompaniment. It is, indeed, a masculine scent that reminds me of another day and age...appropriate for "a classic Victorian men's cologne."

dry: more citrus musk...evenly blended with the lavender. Not floral at all...in fact, more musky than I would have imagined at first. A keeper, but only for special occassions.

There is a hint of commercial cologne in Villain. Fortunately, though, it doesn't give me the image of a teenaged boy who swiped a bottle out of his dad's bathroom cabinet so he could pull girls on his first visit to a nightclub.

Villain is very proper, very well-dressed, very Victorian upper-class. He may be suave and devilishly charming, he may just be very pompous. :P

It is a very sexy scent for a man. I wish I knew someone who could do it justice. And maybe wear a tailored jacket with ruffled sleeves and polished boots to go with it. :D

Villain does lean more to the masculine, although it's not too musky, so it could work for a woman, too. Maybe a more androgynous woman, I think.

Reading these descriptions, I would almost wonder whether I've got the same perfume, except that the notes line up perfectly. I got mine secondhand, so maybe it's aged or has something else in it. Anyhow, it's TOO girly for my man, and suits me perfectly.

In the bottle:

Oh wow. That's good. I definitely smell the lavender and I think I smell the lilac, as well as citrus. Definitely lime as an "aftertaste," maybe a hint of musk. It smells good in a sweet, fresh way... not floral fresh, though, and not really fruit fresh either. It's hard to describe.

Wet:

Citrus. Lemon-pledge, just a little bit. And also definitely the florals.

Dry down on me:

I think I like this, but I have to admit that it's weird. I can definitely pick out the lime. And the lavender. It's very pleasant, but something about it does feel a little bit insidious. I think it's the musk, plus dissonance between the lime and lavender (seriously, do you expect those scents to go together?), or maybe I'm just being led on by the name...

Dry down on the boy:

It's mostly lavender and light musk on the boy. I hardly smell the lime at all. It's not exactly girly, but it's close.

Final thoughts:

I think I like this one a lot. Even though it's a "masculine" scent, I think it's definitely able to be feminine/girly. Actually, I have a hunch that this will become one of my favorites... :P

My husband has a 10ml and about 8 imps of this, so I probably ought to review it. :P

In the bottle: Lavender.

Wet: A rather strong and clean-smelling lavender.

Dry: To my nose, a decidedly masculine lavender. On my skin the lavender is overwhelming and slightly powdery. On my husband, it's gorgeous. He smells clean and lovely when he wears this. Kind of polished and refined. He gets a little bit more citrus out of it than I do, but although I don't usually care for citrus scents on my own skin, he can wear them just fine.

Villain reminds me just a bit of Wilde -- another scent my husband likes a lot. They both smell a little old-fashioned and proper to me, quite gentlemanly. This is not a rugged outdoorsman scent. But my husband is not a rugged outdoorsman AT ALL (he is the type of guy who admires a nice frock coat and would like to have one), so scents like this suit him very well.

I like lavender, and lilacs. Actually, I really like all of the notes in here, so it sounded like a definite winner. Instead I got violent, floor-cleaning citrus. I hoped that if it went citrusy on me, that it would smell really limey - I used to have some lime oil air freshener that I loved and would spray on my hair :P but it just went sort of generic Pledge on me. I didn't really notice any changes with time, though after about an hour I got crabby and scrubbed it off.

In vial: Lavender for sure, and a musky note. Some citrus fruit, maybe the lime.

Wet on skin: Masculine floral. It's not what I was expecting. Some citrus, but not a lot.

Dry: Argh. This turned to soap! *cries* And it had such promise too.

This has been a bit of a disappointment for me- it's really delectable and sexy on one of my female friends, and I was looking forward to trying it.

On me, it's pleasant enough- a really good blend of the lavender, musk and citrus notes- but it fades very quickly and has next to no throw.

Not a swapper, but I'll use up the imp on work days and I doubt I'll get another...

I thought I'd hate this one because I can't stand lavender! I ordered it to try it on my boy ... I guess I need a 5ml of this and if he does not like it - I do!

Okay it is lavender - but somehow not like the others which give me a headache and makes me want to puke ... no it is so nice! It has a sweet base to it, nothing candylike, just a bit creamy. I'm lucky I don't detect any citrus! Can't smell any lilac either.

It surly is masculine ... well or unisex - I'm not sure about that. I tend to like masculine scents on me (by the way, guys do also like them ... everytime I wear one I get compliments by them) and somehow that makes me think that they can't be very masculine.

Anyway: Big surprise that I love this one!!

In the imp: light, airy musk-and-citrus-and-lavender. Yum!

On me, wet: lots of lavender and a sort of old-spice-ish musk, very masculine but a bit too like a traditional aftershave for my tastes.

On me, dry: This totally stays a traditional middle-aged-male cologne - something my father would wear. This smells like Smut did on me, actually.

Verdict: I might try it on the SO first, but I don't think it's a keeper. Bah, and those notes all should work great on me.

I have heard that Beth was sort of thinking about Lucius Malfoy when she formulated this, and what with my thing for Jason Isaacs and all, I knew I had to try it. So I put this on my want list long, long ago before I knew that lavender and I Do Not Mix, and now I'm apprehensive about trying it. If I hate it, it will spoil the smell of yummy evil sexiness for me forever.

Nothing like pressure, is there?

This is a strongly herbal lavender in the bottle, rounded out with a rich, juicy dose of lime and a gentle but firm musk that is truly arresting. This is quite sexy, very poised, and definitely trouble in black boots. It's also refined and old-fashioned.

On, oh, my. I hope this doesn't go rancid, because it's very sexy indeed. The musk and lilac give it a real unexpected softness even as the lime and lavender keep it clean and sharp. It's manly and strong, but it's not loud or brash. He's a villain, yes, but he doesn't go dashing around the hallways with a bullwhip at three a.m. or anything. Evil, but he doesn't get his hands dirty. He spends the day orchestrating wicked plans, in the evening he writes letters and reads, and he canes the crap out of whoever the hell he likes in his spare time. Evil, yes, but a devoted family man. A villain with depth.

Call me suckered, this one's a heartbreaker. Steady, strong, and a real ladykiller.

In the bottle: leather and lavender? I don't smell the lime, though I suspect that it is the note giving this a crispness.

Wet: lavender fouge (did I spell that right?) :D This is definitely a Victorian Men's cologne. Love this!

Dry down: Victorian Men's cologne. It is so well blended I can't seperate the notes, and the lavender is dominant. It is not so dominant that it is a single note lavender. There is definitely other notes in, it just all goes together so well. And I am watching Masterpiece Theater with a British Victorian period piece. So this is perfect! :)

30 minutes: same as it ever was. :P It is very consistant, doesn't morph and is quite lovely.

Conclusion: as a girl who likes to wear "masculine" scents. I like this very much. Imp will be used. Big bottle? Hmmm, so many other scents I love more. But I will not swap away any imps I get of this. This is a Victorian male villian with depth, as Naamah posted. So dead on. :D

Rating 1-5: on my skin this is a 4.

Edited by atropos

Wonderful and clean smelling and light enough I can get away with it for work. I love it, the lavender really comes out on me and a few other notes that I can detect but love.

Definitely my 'going to work' scent! 5ml (probably 10ml lol) bottle territory!

Villain-

In Bottle: Spicy. OH. This is a much more delicious take on lavender than I am used to! I wonder if it'll hold up on my skin?

Wet: Just a little bit powdery, and definitely masculine and spicy but without the "insect repellent" smell of men's cologne. Oh, my. There's a very wicked man in leather gloves menacing me, I can smell it in this scent.

Dry: Oh, geez, this will be one of those highly specialized scents, as in, not something I'll wear often, but I really will have to keep this around because, god, i would love to be consensually molested by this scent, I really would. The spice and the powder--I'm not sure I can separate the citrus (lime) in this but it's there, and this is easily my favorite lavender blend of BPAL to date.

Overall: Specialized but I love.

Yep. A very "sharp and spicy" mens cologne that's a bit powdery to my nose on the drydown. Not bad. It's nice. It's just a little too...well...traditional.

Edited by Archaic Smile

Lavender domintated both in the bottle and wet on my skin. Once it was dry it started to throw Old Spice. Ugh.

A faintly spicy, sort of creamy, men's cologne... the citrus brightens it a little, which is nice. Sadly, it just feels too masculine & heavy on me, and I'm not entirely fond of the lavender.

Oh well, the Lab is still awesome for frimping it to me :P

Villain is manly, yet sexy. It is lime and lavender goodness on me. I like it, but it is a little too masculine for my taste

Yes, classic soapy cologne. It's not bad, and it would be nice on someone else. I just would not want to soapiness on me all day.

This is the smell of lavendar and pine needles roasting in a campfire. Very evergreeny, but burnt evergreen, and slightly acrid; the sweet-ish lavendar on top doesn't contest with the acridity, though. A nice scent. Whereas Vicomte de Valmont smelled like a sleazeball 18th century guy to me, this smells like lovely, dashingly handsome and adventurous 18th century man (who likes to hang out in burning evergreen trees...?) Not a favorite but still intriguing and fresh.

Edited by lianri