Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Wolf's Heart

Grants courage under extreme conditions, helps overcome fear of death, and strengthens the fortitude of artists and businessmen, enabling them to further their goals.

When I first smelled this in the imp (a frimp), I thought it was a delightful, sweet and sexy smell and I became more eager to try this one on than some of the scents I had recently ordered, so I tried it on last night.

in the imp: sweet, a faint musk and a high fruity note that I swear is cherry, but not cherry cough syrup, just sweet cherry.

wet on skin: a warmer version of the imp

drydown: I'm still smelling the cherry and something haughty, I don't get any florals, though I wouldn't be surprised if they were there. Perhaps the cherry that I'm smelling is me mistaking cloves for cherries. Was complimented on my smell by a friend. My husband didn't seem to notice the different smell, but I wasn't sitting close to him while I was wearing it right away.

It stayed strong all night, for a good 6 hours at least and when I woke up this morning, if I smelled deeply on my wrists, I could still smell it faintly, so it does last.

In the end, the scent is a nice one, but it doesn't suit me personally. I may try it out again later and at least keep it around as an imp, but if I find a good swap friend, it might end up in a swap. Definitely NOT on the big bottle list, but I'm not over-all disappointed.

i would guess that this contains jasmine, cinnamon, a touch of dragon’s blood, and hyssop maybe? there’s something “root beer” about it. it’s a strong scent. it’s sweet but not in a cloying way – in a warm, cheerful way, actually. just smelling it seems to elevate my mood.

In bottle: Dragon’s Blood

Wet: mild dbr, maybe cloves and something green/floral in the way back

Dry: dbr receeds, plants come forward.

Later: dbr tinged with something else still lingers 12 hours later.

Summary: While I wasn’t needing any particular courage this morning it did act as a good pick-me up (this first week of Daylight Savings Time). Purely as scent I like it a lot and will track down more when I’ve used up the imp.

Is this what dragon's blood smells like? Well, now I know. And I can definitely smell jasmine in there, too. My initial reaction to this was 'ugh', but as it dries down, and rounds out, I'm finding it's quite subtle and lovely. It's comforting, in a way, too, and might be a nice scent to wear to bed.

I'm especially glad to pick this up now for the 'helping to deal with death' part. My grandfather is on the final stage of life, and while I've grown stronger and am more accepting of death, I am hoping that this scent will lend its strength.

I wasn’t liking this so much after applying a rather liberal amount of it to test (silly me!) – it made me smell like the spices of an Indian food stop (which you understand, I’m all about the eating, rather than the wearing!). Turmeric or something but there was something underneath all of it that smelled most pleasing indeed. The musty spices faded pretty soon (I’ve tested so many BPAL scents and still am having trouble with that thing called patience! BPAL does wonderful morph things, after all!) and then I get something like orange blossom and sandalwood. My imp is near gone which kills me so I bought another as soon as the opportunity arose. This went from being very ack! to oh-so surprising in a wonderful way. That’ll teach me…I'm a convert to this, for sure!

Edited to add: I've tried it and can vouch for its reputation of easing heartbreak. I feel more 'solid' and strong when I wear this and it seems to do a world of good in terms of my mood (excellent news for someone who is afflicted with severe depression). I think I may need to invest in a bottle.

Edited by mspixieears

Wet: I immediately thought of my grandfather's roses.

Drying: No -- not roses, but a closely related, very positive scent memory -- what is it? It's... it's my great-aunt's lilacs! Same positive, sunny association, just the house next door! As it dries -- whoa, lilacs still. Goddamnit, I already claimed I didn't like florals! How can I like a scent that's a floral? I hate florals! (Well, except Crow Moon. And the Raven. And the poppy in Mi-Go Brain Canister. Etc.) But it just smells so good!

Drydown: As the lilacs fade a bit, as if in the sun (although my skin is still very strongly grabbing hold of this note), the spices come out and give that mustiness some people have mentioned. This is a big, gentle wolf, lying around protectively -- a well-mannered beast that wouldn't so much as startle my great-aunt.

Woo-woo: I have no idea whether it was the oil, or the intention, or the placebo effect of having recently found Anthelion very useful. I'm just sayin' -- not too long after I applied this to my wrists and the crooks of my elbows, I phoned a bookstore I've been meaning to call; reintroduced myself; and reiterated that I was a local poet with a new book, and would be delighted to come do a reading. The woman I spoke to was receptive and promised to call back tomorrow. Then, I arranged for a ride to a meeting of a writers' group that my boss started -- an act that flew in the face of my off-and-on social anxiety. Artists, business, goals? :P

In the imp: Spicy and musky

On Skin: Spicy and musky, there is a patchouli/sandalwoody/earthy sort of feel to it.

On Drydown: I get a floral sort of peeking out, perhaps a lilac? I'm not sure. There's something almost sweet about it too... and perhaps slightly fruity, perhaps cherry?

Verdict: This is an odd duck, to my nose. It's warm and spicy and musky, and although this isn't usually something I go for, this isn't as overbearing as other types on my skin. As for the woo-woo, I'm not sure I find this pleasant enough a smell to actually wear it for the effects.

This is a warm, red, spiced type of scent. I am immediately reminded of a dragon's blood blend. There is a cinnamon - esque undertone; with a sort of throbbing, pulsating hotness. The spices are nicely balanced by a powdery floral note, that to me smells like night blooming jasmine.

This is very pretty!! It has medium throw and I predict it will be long lasting.

Wet: Dragon's Blood.

Drydown: Dragon's Blood with herbs.

Dry: Faint dragon's blood with herbs.

My rating: 2/5. I don't really like how this smells --I think I'm not a fan of dragon's blood. And I have the TAL version, so I don't really need this for the magical purposes either. In its favor, it doesn't morph on my skin really, just does a fading act.

I bought a bottle of this at Christmas for Hubby after LOVING the imp I got---but the bottle is JASMINE JASMINE JASMINNNNNNNNE!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :D :D

:)

Why is the imp sooo nice and the bottle soooo not? The imp is all Dragon's Blood and warmth. The bottle, the dreaded Jazmynzzzz.!

In imp, this is spicy and warm, but not overpowering - there's a real lightness to it that I don't often find with spicy scents.

Once I put it on, my newbie nose fails me - I smell something lemony/citrus-y over a light cinnamon-ish scent - and is there musk in the background? Whatever's there, it's very soft, despite the spiciness.

Once it's dry, I can't identify any individual scents; it's warm and really beautiful.

As to the woo-woo: This isn't the fighting, bravado sort of courage -it's the sort of courage where you're confident of your stance and are quietly strong. I wore it to work on a day where I felt like I was going to be chewed out - it did make me feel better, and not only did I not get scolded, my boss actually complimented me on the scent! Excellent.

I am sharing much of this post with my review of Lionheart (the TAL) for reasons that should be obvious.

I received Wolf's Heart as a frimp two years ago and used it once with little effect, but yesterday I was truly blessed to have this oil. Two months ago I made a major mistake and left my two dogs in the car while I ran to a meeting, not realizing how hot it was outside, and I received a summons to court for cruelty to animals. If you know me at all, you know how completely devoted to my dogs I am, how every other day of my life I conduct myself in the most animal-friendly way you can imagine. So this case has been hugely emotionally distressing. Yesterday was my arraignment, and I needed a huge boost in courage. I wore Wolf's Heart to boost my courage and Lionheart for the positive aspect (having forgotten it also boosts courage). I made an X over my heart with Wolf's Heart and swiped some Lionheart above it, then wore Wolf's Heart on my wrists and swiped Lionheart on my forehead. (I am not magically trained at all, those just seemed like good places to put the oils- by my heart and where I could smell them.) As I applied the oils, I repeated to myself that I was asking for courage, and almost immediately I was completely calm. I was even humming to myself as I walked around the house getting ready. As I drove to the courthouse I marveled at myself. As I waited, I mostly smelled Lionheart, but with some of the spiciness from Wolf's Heart. It sort of wreathed around me. I was worried that the scent would bother other people, but they could probably use the positive energy and courage, too. I did get a little nervous as my name was called, but even then it was ok. As it turned out, the assistant district attorney present thought the criminal charge was excessive and is going behind his hard-line coworker's back to knock the charge down to a civil charge. Whether the courage came more from Wolf's Heart or Lionheart I don't know, probably both. I think that Lionheart gave me some positive energy he must have picked up on. I guess when I really needed these oils, they gave me a major boost.

As far as what Wolf's Heart smells like, it first faded into my skin, then reappeared as a faintly spicy (I see why cinnamon's been speculated, and it makes me think of that but I'm not sure that it is) scent with a tinge of floral and at the tail end of a breath, I could smell the cherry others have mentioned. Wolf's Heart wasn't particularly strong, it seemed to be on the edges of the cloud of Lionheart, peeping in occasionally to say, yes, I'm here, don't worry.

Origin: Frimp from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I've never encountered this one before. The fierce red which might be dragon's blood has me leery. On the other hand, this might be a helpful blend right now.

In the Bottle: Floral with spicy undertones.

Wet: Rather sharp herby florals. I think I can smell jasmine in there.

Drydown: This stays very close to the skin on me, a quiet floral with just a touch of heat in it from spices.

Verdict: It's something I can wear, so I may try and use it for its intended purposes.

Bottle: Jasmine, I think.

Wet: Jasmine is doom on me. I smell something spicy as well, either cloves or cinnamon.

Drydown: Floral and spicy are such an odd combination, but it almost works on me. Almost.

3.0 outta 5

imp: this smells like a slightly spicy, slightly floral dragon's blood scent.

wet: sort of a dragon's blood incense, not burning incense, but when you open the package of incense and take a sniff.

dry: this dries to a sweet, floral dragon's blood. it's a bit richer and full-bodied than usual dragon's blood. very nice.

Well, I had a big gig the other night. I went on stage as a guest singer with a headline act and while I love singing with my band and have no collywobbles at all, this was completely out of my comfort zone. After my Castitas bath, my heart all a-flutter, I looked at my imp stash and picked up the first one that caught my eye. Wolf's Heart glowed red and stood out beyond all the others so I put a tiny amount on my microphone hand, heart chakra and throat chakra. I was worried as the throw was HUGE, and not that pleasant: acrid jasmine, burnt spice, oddness.

But... it may well have worked. Instead of feeling nervous and heartbeaty as I had been all day, as soon as I put in on I was calm, composed and, while I had a strange floating sensation and the thought that everything in the world was surreal, when I got on stage I nailed it. I was relaxed and strident and confident and it was all rather wonderful. I had loads of compliments, offers of further gigs and hob-nobbed with celeb types. Surreal indeed. Wolf's Heart. I've always loved wolves.

I have not tested any effects of this scent so far, just the smell.

In imp: Strong, kind of acrid and unpleasant.

Wet on skin: Maintains a lot of that sharp, almost herby scent. I don't get the dragon's blood if it's there (thank goodness).

Drying: Rounds out a bit, and becomes much nicer. Which is good, because I wasn't sure how long I could wear it if it smelled like the above. The jasmine is out though.

Later: Faded to nearly a pure jasmine-musk scent, very soft. I don't hate jasmine, but I don't like to wear it unless I'm in the right mood, and that would likely not correlate to when I needed courage. I have other jasmine scents I like better too, like Nyx.

I wonder if I could use this scent to focus my intent and manifest courage like I would another ritual oil. I mean, I'm sure I could use it with intent, and then use it in small amounts so as to avoid the scent, but I'm just not getting the same feel from it I get from those other blends. And this scent doesn't at all remind me of a wolf's brave heart. Maybe it's the strength represented by tiny white jasmine flowers though... there are few scents that strike fear into the hearts of so many on the forum! :P

I've had a history of anxiety, specially before bed since I was a child, which led to medication.

Placebo or not, this is the true alternative medication for me....seriously.

I sleep well at night as the scent wafts from the pulse points of my body destracting my thoughts and in the day it comforts me.

The biggest test for this bottle of wolf's heart shall be during study period and exam but as I sit here typing, I'm wearing it hehe and I feel everything's gonna be just fine.

In the bottle: Spicy, herbal.

On me, wet: In its initial stages this has a cherry-cough-syrup-in-an-evergreen-forest quality to it that I find oddly endearing. I feel fairly certain that there's some Dragon's Blood in this (both from the scent and from the reddish color), and maybe just a tinge of musk.

On me, dry: an herbal, sweet, just-barely-musky Dragon's Blood. Medium strength and throw.

As far as its intended purpose goes, I feel like Wolf's Heart is brilliant. It might be that, at this point, I've developed positive associations with the scent, but I find it comforting and encouraging, and when wearing it I feel strong and secure. In March I spent a week with my mom in the hospital, and I wore Wolf's Heart to bed every night. I still didn't sleep terribly well, but the oil made me feel better about things, and more secure in my self. It's one that I intend always to have a bottle of around.

in the imp/wet : dragon's blood.

dry: spicey and more dragon's blood.

i wore this an entire day and it actually gave me a headache.

Hmm. I kind of like this. To me it's a rather benign, spicy dragon's blood/jasmine scent. It's nice, but I don't loooove the way it smells. Of course, this blend is meant to be used for a reason, not just as a general perfume.

So I tested this when I went to go take a practice LSAT. Did it help? It definitely didn't hurt, and I think maybe it helped give me a bit of a boost. I'm retesting it now under non-stress conditions and it's kind of giving me a headache.

Basically, I think I will hold onto this imp and use it occasionally for when I might need a little confidence boost, but I know I wouldn't need a bottle of this.

I received this as a frimp from the lab awhile ago but was saving it for when I knew I'd need some extra courage. Today was the day.

I got lots of Dragon's Blood resin from this, not sure what else, maybe a bit of florals. Definately not the cloves a lot of folks are mentioning- I tend to amp cloves and immediately channel baked ham when it's a scent note. It was pretty and comforting, but not that noteworthy.

The cool thing, though, was that when I was applying the oil from the imp to the cotton pad for my scent locket, (I slathered and locketed today as it's pretty hot and muggy, hence smelly, weather and could use the extra boost) the oil formed the shape of a heart! That brightened my morning a bit.

As to giving courage, no full-blown panic attack, but I think I still screwed up the works. Is there a blend for facing consequences or end results, out there? I might need that for the next few years!

Mmm... I like this blend. I'm getting the dragon's blood that other reviewers have mentioned with hints of florals and herbs. Unlike some of the other voodoo blends I've tried, the herbs in Wolf's Heart don't go crazy-strong on my skin, so this one is much more wearable. I love the concept of this scent and I've considering trying the TAL blend of the same name as well (I'm a writer who's just beginning to send things out to publishers, my ego can be a bit fragile so I could certainly use some courage!).

Scentwise there's nothing about this that screams "You need to buy a bottle!" But I enjoy my imp and will replace it when I eventually use it up (I'm not a slatherer, so that could be a long time).

First Sniff: Pleasant; light and a tiny bit flowery.

Wet: Same as the first sniff. It seems to fade quickly though.

Dry: Light and airy, it fades to an even softern scent as it dries. Some of the spices seemed to come out later though. There's a pleasant undertone of something I can't yet recognize, I assume it's the Dragon's Blood others have mentioned, and I thought that gave it the comforting smell.

My Reaction: It's light and flowery and not overpowering at all. It's very feminine, however it did not make me think of wolves at all. It smells comforting and warm and even happy to me and I liked it.

In the bottle is smells like alcohol. Wet it takes on a woodsy musky scent. When it dries it's musk and floral, but the floral is just a bit over powering.