Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Wolf's Heart

Grants courage under extreme conditions, helps overcome fear of death, and strengthens the fortitude of artists and businessmen, enabling them to further their goals.

Cloves stand out in this for me, but are blended with a subtle herbal scent that seems to have jasmine, as well. Pleasant, and unobtrusive, even with scents that I don't usually like.

So closely intertwined it's almost impossible to identify individual notes, but definitely uplifting.

NOTE: This review is for the BPAL Bewitching Brew. If you're looking for the Twilight Alchemy Lab oil of the same name, those reviews are here. --Shollin

Wolf's Heart smells warm and comforting. It brings to mind a feeling of safety and being protected by a devoted friend.

Whether it is the fragrance or the placebo effect, I feel stronger and more capable of making it through the day when I wear this scent.

Soapy and herby stands out first, but with a sweeter kick to it.

On me, this turns out a bit like candy-ish soapy herbs. The smell slightly reminds me of Dragon's blood (the resin not the Voodoo blend), but I"m not sure if it's actually in there.

Will comment on efectiveness later.

This is a nice, cozy bedtime scent. It's soft and comforting. I'm having trouble identifying the notes, though. It's like...some kind of soft, subtle, fluffy, jasmine-y floral and and slightly spicy clove. It's also a tinge fruity. It's like a warm, soft, fluffy blanket. I like it a lot, but I'm not sure how often I'll wear this...

Wolf's Heart was so much more floral than I expected. When I think of Wolves, I don't think of flowers.

As to the effect. Lately, I've been having alot of trouble with going to sleep. I'm always afraid that somebody's going to break into the house, etc. A bit crazyparanoid, I know. The Wolf's Heart really helped. I don't know if it was the placebo effect, or what, but I definitely did not feel afraid when I went to bed last night. And I got to sleep fairly quickly, which is almost unheard of for me.

I received this one as a freebie in my most recent order, and I was so, so pleased to be able to try this.

This one definitely is calming. It's spicy and floral, and mellows out to a sweet spicyness on my skin... like Tintagel without the cinnamon or juniper- whatever is so Christmasy about Tintagel.

I didn't realize this was a Voodoo blend when I put it on, but I have felt extremely creative and empowered today.

Wolf's Heart is absolutely lovely!

It's a warm, "cosy" scent.

Think of a warm mound of wolf pups sleeping soundly one on top of the other.

Alpha Male & Alpha Female standing guard close by.

Strong, steady....grounded but DO NOT provoke them for they are fierce as well.

Sleep safe my loves.

The lab gifted me with an imp of this in my last order, thank you :D

This reminds me a lot of both Red Devil and Queen, two other voodoo oils, although its effect is quite different. It seems to have dragon's blood, which I love. It also has that soft herbal note that is in many of the voodoo oils. It's a very grounding scent, makes me feel very peaceful and calm. :P

Edited by ChupaChup

Wolf's Heart smelled like a stronger, masculine version of Pride. It smells strongly of narcissus, which makes me as the wearer want to lift up my chin and stick out my chest. I've never really used a voodoo blend before, but I think this would work purely by scent association to bring out the "wolf's heart" in the wearer.

It is difficult to pick out individual notes in Wolf's Heart, but I CAN definitely tell that there is Dragon's Blood resin in there. It is "quieter" than straight Dragon's Blood, though, if that makes any sense. There are some mild herbs in the background, but they are indistinguishable, at least to my nose!

I can see how others have said this is a cozy scent--I get that feeling also. Never would have ordered it, but I am really, really glad the Lab sent me an imp with my last order. It's lovely!

Wolfs Heart - I love the bright red color! Overall first impression is sweet and musty.

On - mmm, this has to have Dragon's Blood, it's rich and ripe. The musty smell has developed into a muskiness that adds a nice layer of warmth. There's a hint of floral as well. I was expecting something a bit more fierce or feral but this is really nice - I may order a bottle :P

Wolf's Heart

Initial Impression

Very red oil, and from the scent of it, that's definitely dragon's blood. I also smell something a bit herbal, floral, and sharp.

Wearing It

The first thing to come out is the jasmine. There is definitely that lovely, mellifluous jasmine scent in here, mingling with the dragon's blood resin. There's another mystery floral in here that must be the narcissus that Tart mentioned. It's a lot more powerful, and less watery, of a floral. And really, that's wear the heart, er pardon the pun, of this scent comes from. That jasmine and the dragon's blood are more comforting, but the narcissus gives it strength.

Overall, this is a lot more floral than it is resiny. I could definitely see wearing this for an interview or some other area of my life where I would want some inner strength yet still wanted to smell nice/floraly.

On first sniff-eh. Mild. maybe cinnamon?

wet- soft sweet cinnamon. This'll go away in no time.

dry down-soft but stays, cannot describe except it would work on a man or woman.

then I went to class and had a surprise critique on my final project in Printmaking-I had to TALK about my project and field questions and listen to criticism(!)

And I did GREAT!! I actually got applause! And I am NOT a talker!

Was it the Wolf's Heart that strengthened me?

Hours later I can still smell softly, the cinnamony sweet but not too sweet.

This is a keeper.

I ordered this one in my Oct. 27 six-pack of impage based on the descriptions/reviews here ... I loved the idea of something warm and cozy and familiar.

BOTTLE: Yummy. Spicy and floral all at once, though no specific note is jumping out at me ... slightly sharp in a good way.

Applied liberally to wrists and somewhat sparingly to crooks of arm ...

WET: The floral part comes up pretty quickly upon application, offsetting the spice. But the two definitely play nicely together.

DRYDOWN: I put it on before I left for work (yes, Sunday morning after Christmas, working ...) and while I was driving I was getting frequent drifts of the floral from my wrists ... very VERY nice. But while I know most people here have said jasmine (and I love jasmine so Id be fine with that), for some reason I'm not getting the usual jasmine vibe ... it keeps making me think gardenias. It reminds me a lot of White Shoulders (my eighth grade scent :P ) but with a little more of a spicy kick ...

The more it dries down (about an hour after application right now) the more floral it becomes but that is fine with me ... I'll be interested to see if later drydown brings out the cinnamon or cloves (also fine with me ... in fact everything about this scent is just dandy!!!).

REVISITING AND RE-REVIEWING APRIL 2013:

I am test-driving the last two scents in my BPAL collection (well, at least until I get my April Fools decant imps AND the 20 imps/bottles just ordered today LOL) and, coincidentally due to alphabet, they're two of the first BPAL scents I ever tried -- Wolf's Heart and Wrath. This is from an imp I decanted from my own cobalt bottle of Wolf's Heart. I'm not sure if my nose has gotten to recognize notes differently, my body chemistry has changed, and/or a bottle aged for eight years smells/looks different. Or any/all of the above.

IN THE IMP: It is a bronze color rather than the bright red I am reading about, which could well be due to age. Though the cinnamon and dragon's blood are notable in the imp, it is less fiery than I remember and more deep and rounded and subtle.

Dabbed on wrist and in crook of arm.

WET: The first thing I notice is a very, very strong cola note ... this happens to be one of my favorite BPAL scents. And while I may be totally off base on this, it makes me wonder if there is opoponax in this blend, because I tend to associate that with being the "cola note." The dragon's blood and spices are one of the most amazing and complex spicy blends of anything I've ever smelled.

DRYDOWN: If possible, this is even better than it was when I first tried it. I am also wondering if there is amber in here ... I get what I call the "comforting linen closet" smell which I thought I had narrowed down to likely being amber. On drydown, this is not hot and cinnamony and it's not strongly dragon's blood ... it is like a perfect marriage where the partners draw from each one's best traits and become something even bigger and better than their parts.

OVERALL: I had forgotten how truly amazing this scent was, and I think it's even better than it used to be.

On a scale of 1-5, about an eleventy-million.

Edited by JazzieCazzie

This was received as a freebie from the Lab. Normally, I don't have much luck with the Voodoo Blends, as there seems to be a common element in all of them that flips my switch to "off" as soon as I try them.

Wolf's Heart, however, was a little different. The note that reminds me of the other Voodoo Oils I've tried is still there, especially in the beginning, but it doesn't seem as sweet. As it dries, it does get a little sweeter, becoming a very juicy floral, but not unbearably so.

The sweet note ebbs back into the background, revealing a spicy scent, like something from the nearby Indian spice store. Cloves and cinnamon have been mentioned in other reviews, and I would like to agree, though I want to say that there is something else that is far more exotic in this blend.

After twenty minutes, I've got a sweet blend with a little faint spicy kick to it. All in all, I like Wolf's Heart, and the added Voodoo Oil benefits are a plus. I can't see a man wearing this really, but I'm sure it would work for certain men out there. I don't know if I will get a larger bottle of this oil or not but I will definitely hang on to the imp.

-doreen

In bottle: Clean, sharp, masculine, fresh.

On me: sexy, subtle floral.

Swipped hubby's poker cash with it and BPAL High John and he came back a winner

This smells herbal, floral, yet very warm and round and at some points, slightly spicy. If that makes sense. Other reviewers are right, the dragon's blood is an easy note to pick out, but I'm having trouble with the others. It doesn't smell particularly strong on me- actually, it's pretty soft. I didn't get any of the voodoo effects but it did make me feel rather pleasant.

I received this as a freebie in my Yule order, and was happy to try it, as it was on my wishlist anyway!

It's bright red, which usually means some sort of Dragon's Blood, which is always a plus in my book. If there is Dragon's Blood in this blend, it's subtle.

Once it dries on my skin, it smells exactly like my favorite tea, Lady Londonderry. It's a sweet, jasmine-y tea scented blend.

I haven't tried it as a voodoo oil yet (I plan to this week), but I would have no problems wearing it as a perfume oil!

this seems to be a potentially lethally sexy evening scent! believe it or not... I didn't expect a voodoo blend to smell this good for non-ritual purposes... This, I'm sure, will do a better job even than Queen.

it's like a take on the smell of a natural jasmine bush - like a rare exotic flower. Something I always wanted to smell like. omg this is unique and I WILL wear it to salsa tomorrow.

First sniff: Yup – I can see this being a wolf scent. It’s deep and musky, with a tiny hint of sweetness. I’m guessing there’s dragon’s blood in here because of the colour.

Wearing: I’ve always had an affinity for wolves (and dragons), and I’m very glad this scent seems to work on me. :P It’s dark, spicy, makes my nose itch a bit – but wonderfully straightforwardly warm, nothing sensual about it, the warmth of den and fur.

I wish I could pick out individual note in this, but I can't at all. I thought anise, but I now think that's way off. There's a candy-sweetness, and floral notes. Black orchid? In any case, this is a comforting scent. My children have a fuzzy blue blanket--it's a pale blue, and the softest thing ever. Wolf's Heart is that blanket, in oil form.

The imp smells very herbal to me, almost medicinal and slightly like perfumer’s alcohol, strangely enough.

It’s much warmer on my wrist and the alcohol goes away (fortunately!). I definitely pick up the jasmine that others mentioned. That’s the strongest note for me. But it does have a kind of inexplicable spiciness behind it. I haven’t yet tried anything that contains Dragon’s Blood, so I don’t know if that’s what I’m picking up on or not.

It’s warm and sweet and floral without being overtly feminine. I don’t really know if I’d be able to wear it or not despite the fact that I like the scent, though I’m curious to test its voodoo properties. I’ll have to allow it to sit a while longer to see if it’s going to challenge my allergies as whiter flowers have a tendency to do.

As it fades, it becomes sweeter, almost to the degree of candy. I really enjoy this blend. And I’m surprised by how unassuming it is. While it starts off rather assertive, it fades gently and slowly. It’s so hard to place, scent-wise, yet very comforting. I’m definitely glad I have it on hand (literally :P ).

Jasmine, and something sweet and herbal. It was a giftie imp from the lab.

I like this, it starts out as a strong jasmine scent, but the jasmine fades and as it dries down I get a warm, sweet, and herbal scent. It is very comforting scent. I like it at bed time, it really makes me feel warm and protected. :P

Not going to push Somnus out of the bedtime slot, but it is a warm and comforting blend.

yup yup dragons blood, and apparently my skin loves dragon's blood cause it amps it up in every blend containing it, i think i detect carnation? possibly ? and something a bit spicy but i am not sure it is cloves....all in all nice.

at first: the lab included this as an extra. almost sweet, but with something edgy, almost smoky.

on: nice. i can't really pick out the notes, but this seems a tiny bit musky with a tinge of sweetness.

1 hour later: definitely musk, but with more of an edge to it.

2.5 hours later: still very warm and comforting, but more powdery now.

5 hours later: still a warm, powdery scent, but not as sweet.

overall: i love how comforting this is. i can definitely see how this would be good during stressful times.