Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
filigree_shadow

Wolf's Heart

Grants courage under extreme conditions, helps overcome fear of death, and strengthens the fortitude of artists and businessmen, enabling them to further their goals.

At the moment I can only comment on the scent. It's definitely different from the GC Wolf's Heart. I'm pretty sure it also has dragon's blood in it, but it's more herby than the GC version. Maybe a tiny bit of lemon or white musk or something like that. It smells golden, warm, comforting, and peaceful. It has a similar feel to it as Lionheart.

I got this bottle intending to wear it to bed. I often have anxiety attacks when it's dark because I start thinking about being dead... which is why the "helps overcome fear of death" description appealed to me. Here's a link to my review for the GC Wolf's Heart, which explains a little more about my problem.

I will be back to edit this post after I have some information to report about Wolf's Heart's usefulness.

ETA on 7/12: Last night I fell asleep with no anxiety at all. It was wonderful. I practically fell asleep when my head hit the pillow. And to tell the truth, by the time I went to bed last night I had forgotten that I used Wolf's Heart, so I doubt it was a placebo effect.
ETA again on 7/19: I have now enjoyed a full week of anxiety-free bedtime. Maybe by the time my Wolf's Heart bottle is gone I will no longer have the bedtime/darkness trigger for that anxiety. I hope so. Getting to sleep this week has been very nice.

NOTE: This review topic is for the Twilight Alchemy Lab oil. If you're looking for the BPAL Bewitching Brew of the same name, those reviews are here. --Shollin

I tried out Wolf's Heart after reading filigree_shadow's review of how it helped in getting to sleep. I suffer from post traumatic stress disorder that causes me to have some issues with insomnia. I've been prescribed all sorts of sleep medications and none of them have worked (though some of them caused me to have hallucinations, which in turn made me even more anxious). I have serious problems with hypervigilance. On a bad night (like the last two weeks), every little noise or shadow causes me to feel threatened and anxious.

Wolf's Heart smells rather pleasant and happy to me. Sort of like watered down orange juice and an herbal, almost metallic note. It almost smells a bit like eucalyptus on me at times as well, with a soapy edge. This isn't something that I'd wear as a perfume with the sole purpose of making myself smell appealing, but it isn't an awful smell either.

And I did manage to fall to sleep the night that I wore this. A very deep sleep for a few hours. Though I'm not sure if it was from the feeling of comfort that Wolf's Heart gave me or the fact that I'm just flatout exhausted from not sleeping well for weeks beforehand. I woke up after four hours during the middle of a thunderstorm feeling pretty hysterical, but I managed to fall back to sleep after the wind calmed down.

I'll try this out over a few more nights and see if it helps me to have some anxiety-free sleep as well...

Wolf's Heart is a funny blend. I love the way it smells and I think it's useful and effective. But yet I couldn't tell you anything that it's done for me.

Everything in the description is good for me. I'm a writer and I often need courage to persevere through blocks and rejections and terrible experiences in workshops. I also go through extreme circumstances.

I like anoiniting a Hand of Hermes conjure bag with it. I also like to rub some Wolf's Heart over my own heart.

Things usually get better after I use it, but I can't quite place my finger on what it's done for me.

Wolf's Heart smells and feels very peaceful and uplifting to me - slightly fruity, sweet and herbal; I agree with Liitle Bird that the smell is reminiscent of orange juice.

As a first-time business owner, I can use all the fortitude I can get, and it sounded like this blend would be perfect for that. I wear a tiny dab on my chakra points when I need to overcome the occasional entrepreneurial panic episode. Most of the time though, I use it to anoint my computer or my phone when I need to send a tough email or make a difficult phone call.

So far it has worked quite well - I do tend to be fairly resolute anyway, but Wolf's Heart gives me that extra kick in the rear when I'm up against a difficult or uncomfortable situation. I find it easier to focus my intent and work up my nerve when I use it.

More specifically, it seems to help me see how the request, offer or inquiry I am about to make is entirely legitimate (for instance if I need to phone a client who is stalling or who owes me money, or if I want to approach someone who's more established in my field than I am), and how standing my ground will ultimately benefit all parties involved. It helps me set and uphold healthy boundaries, and gives me confidence that I am acting in both my and my clients' best interest.

So far, I am very happy with this oil :smile:

Scent:

Wolf's Heart has a sweet, grassy smell on my skin - I'm guessing some combination of resins produces that. The grassy note becomes less discernable after the oil has been on my skin a while.

Overall, I'd say the scent is mild and more pleasant than some TALs I have as well as probably less noticeable to others near me than, say, Determination, which possesses a strong, dark scent.

Use:

I apply WH when I feel I need extra fortitude, determination, and patience to continue writing for a while. I usually use this in conjunction with other TALs, but I feel it's a good blend for anyone determined to pursue creative career-related goals to at least try a decant of. I know I'm glad I have a decant of it even though I, like a previous poster, find it difficult to pinpoint what WH has done for me. Mostly, I think it has a similar effect on me to Determination except 1) WH has a somewhat broader scope in what it can be used for, and 2) WH has the added bonus of being a good oil to apply when you're going to be facing very stressful situations. I feel it's in a similar vein to Fortitude (a small batch TAL) in that regard for its fortitude-boosting qualities.

Edited by Court Analyst/Strategist

Wolf's Heart starts out smelling like spices and incense, and then turns to honeysuckle or linden (I can't really tell these two notes apart). It smells amazing, frankly.

I've used it a couple of times when trying to work up the nerve to have difficult conversations. Both times, I did manage to take the leap I needed: the first time, I was able to stand up for myself when placed in a difficult situation at work, and the second time, I was able to overcome my nervousness to make a phone call I was stressing about. That second time, I didn't manage to reach the person, but I count it a victory that I was able to call at all, because I'd been freaking out about the prospect. Definitely keeping this puppy around.

Wolf's Heart smells sort of piney at the beginning to me, but then it has dried down to spices and a touch of linden.

I needed a little boost today, and Wolf's Heart was just the ticket. Will edit this review with more details later.

ETA: Wolf's Heart for the win. Because sometimes having courage is really hard. Really hard.

Edited by zankoku_zen

I relied heavily on Wolf's Heart as an aromatherapy-esque helper during my cross-country move (3000 miles with four cats and a U-haul that popped four tires along the way, so I needed the help!) I find it incredibly useful for driving, appointments, any situation where my anxiety might cause a problem.