Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
astrid

Polyhymnia

... Orris root, white sage, rowan bark and red sandalwood, with myrrh, rosemary, lemon balm and honeysuckle.

I got this as a frimp in a swap, and loved the description. Alas, lemony/herbal scents very rarely work on me. :P Polyhymnia smelled lovely in the bottle - crisp herbed citrus - but on me turned to Lemon Pledge. Phooey.

Edited by Shollin

For a moment I was afraid of a lemon cleaning fluid scent, but then this changed into a gorgeous mix of white flowers, lemon and deep spices. It's a little more of a baby-powdery scent than I would normally pick to wear, but the woody notes blend well and anchor it into my skin, forming an eminently wearable, refreshing, uplifting whole. It even has throw! It's just breathtaking for Spring or Summer. I think this is a beautiful scent of simple elegance, and I'm so happy it came to me - I'm going to have to get the full bottle of this one, I think. I'm in love.

ETA - I got the full bottle, and I love it, especially in the Summer. My skin amps the myrrh like crazy, which I just love.

Edited by LadyMedb

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Lemon and rotting herbs.

In the imp: Lemon balm, rosemary and wicked, wicked sage.

On skin, wet: Lemon balm and sage. A strong scent already, this one.

On skin, dry: Lemon! and that awful sage. Sage is a note I just can't get along with (Sage is also an ex-boyfriend I just can't get along with, heh), and lemon almost always turns plastic and soapy on me. A sharp, plastic lemon covered in rotting herbs.

Conclusion/Notes: Yeah... not gonna happen. I thought 'well, maybe it'll be a mostly-honeysuckle scent' and was thusly wrong. Those that like lemon and/or (probably more 'and' than 'or') sage will love this, I'm sure.

Wow is this lovely right off the bat!

I smell the lemon balm right away and there is something slightly astringent underneath, I think it's the rosemary. And then the sage. There are other scents that I can't pick out but I know they are there. This is a very clean smell. The lemon is refreshing and nothing like cleaning supplies. This is a very subtle scent when it is on my skin. It becomes more herbal the longer I wear it and the lemon takes a back seat to the other ingredients. Yum!!!

Edited by Eunice_Branca

This is one of my absolute favorites. Lemon balm (melisa) is one of my favorite herbs. And myrrh, possibly my favorite note.

All these noble herbs, the exquisite lemon balm, a hint of wood, and the myrhh giving it a golden shine... exceptional!

I can't say much more. I just love it.

i smell lemon Pledge, and it is one of my favorite smells! hehe... i smell the honeysuckle a bit, but mostly just sweet sweet Pledge. *snifffffffffff* :P

bottle:

lemony herbal

wet:

lemony and herbal! Nice

dry:

getting a little soapy, not bad but soapy…. Sigh, like shanghai, there's something in this that doesn't like me.

overall:

an herbal soap.

rating: 4/10

All I really get out of this is lemon balm sweetened with some honeysuckle. I like lemon balm but it is such a bully note on me that it makes every scent with it smell the same.

Polyhymnia – This is lemon, lemon, lemon! Then suddenly, I detect a soft floral, and something very faint, but very dry in the background. This blend is nothing like I expected it to be based on the bright lemon scent in the bottle, and also based on my poor luck with most of the other scents in the “Muses” line. About 15-20 minutes after application, sandalwood and myrrh become noticeable. This is also when the lemon begins to fade significantly. It is not long after that the rosemary is faintly evident – there doesn’t seem to be more than the tiniest drop of it in the blend, but any more and it would be too strong. The rosemary compliments the other scents surprisingly well. This scent is lovely. I’ve become really enchanted by this fragrance, despite the fact that from the notes listed, it’s not something I’d find myself drawn to. It’s fairly light on the skin, and sometimes, I think it’s completely faded because I can’t smell it even when I’m sniffing directly on my skin. Then suddenly, out of nowhere, I’ll catch a strong waft of the scent. It seems to fade in and out, and I really like that unexpected, surprising aspect of it. It’s a very fresh and clean scent, and most definitely enchanting.

First sniff: *cower* I’m sorry, Lady! I didn’t order you with your sisters at the Muses’ debut, because it sounded like you wouldn’t love me as much as they would… and you’ve obviously developed a grudge, because several months later you’re trying to beat me to death with lemon peels!

Wearing: Very high-pitched insistent lemon. It reminds me of the soprano frozen lemon of Yuki-Onna. The orris and rosemary are what kept me away from Poly back in November, but lemon is definitely the villain here.

In bottle: Sage, with a small hint of orris

On skin, wet: Lemon balm!

On skin, dry: Sage lemon balm!

Conclusion: Ick.

Rating: 0/5

My first impression is of a York peppermint patty. Not even joking.

On my skin, this turns rather lemony. I can't pick anything else out.

a gift from a forumite, who has my gratitude and blessings :P

I figured a poet--though not necessarily of sacred poetry (unless you believe all poetry partakes of the sacred, which I do believe)--would do well to wear Polyhymnia now and again.

First slash of oil on skin is: Lemon verbena. The purest lemon verbena I've yet smelled (but I'm new at this still). Some of the lab's lemon scents are lemon geranium, and some are balm, and I suppose there are pure lemon peel scents out there waiting for me to discover them, but this one is lemon verbena, a plant I much like.

And it is soft verbena on my skin for a long time. That's okay. Nice to have a lovely verbena scent.

And then--oh, an hour or two in, what's this? something both sweet and woody--and I'm not sure. It is a soft scent, but wafts up now and again and surprises me.

Just like inspiration. Remarkable. Clever, clever Beth.

(edited because I just went and sought out the lab description. Lemon balm?? no way. Still smells like lemon verbena, which has a sweet edge (maybe it is the orris influence). And it is still remarkable.)

Edited by jarvenpa

straight sniff from imp is lemon and sandalwood.... :P !!!

once applied the lemon amps up with honey and myrrh...oh so elegant!!!!

i love the earthy notes of sage and orris root

this blend is very complex and quite unique...it is questionable as to whether or

not i need a big bottle...but i will enjoy my imp immensely :D

This is a very beautiful clear lemon balm. I think I will like it as much as Calliope. Other, herbal scents are showing up in little hints, and hint of myrrh and orris appeared about ten minutes after drying, but the lemon dominates. It clears your mind.

As a mathematician, I find the Muse of Geometry the most appropriate of the muses for those aspects of my life. I think I will wear her often. I may need a large bottle.

As long as my algebra classmates like lemon balm in the morning...

Imp: I can smell the citrus first off, it smells like a fizzy orange spicy softdrink. There's a hint of resin/woods in the back that's soft and light, surprising for a resin or wood for me. The endnotes are like Pledge's lemon stuff.

Wet: A citrusy-lemon and a dirty, woodsy, dusty scent. The sandalwood and myrrh behave and add a soft edge.

Dry: This dried VERY nicely and is a very nice and gorgeous blend. Sophisticated, not like church incense like I was kindof expecting.

Category: Floral Lemon Resin

Rating: 4/5; simply gorgeous

Overall: I would definately wear this again. I'm lucky with this batch of scents. It's somewhat sexy and sophisticated and fun. Polyhymnia isn't exactly my first thought for images on this blend, but oh well, I really do like it anyways. I can see writing poems about the gods and goddesses while wearing this blend, it's wistful.

In the imp: This smells very lemony, though I can detect the honeysuckle as well.

Wet: Very strong lemon, but I have faith that other notes will emerge, as lemon comes on strong and then plays nicely on drydown.

Drydown and wear: I was correct. This is a lovely, soft and "eloquent" blend. To my great horror, I decapitated the imp (my second one in three months), so I will have to replace it.

Ohhhh, yum! This stuff is good. It's lemony floral but not a grab-your-nose-and-run lemon. It's understated, warm and (thanks to the sandalwood) glowy. I never expected to love sage as much as I do, but none of the lab's sage blends has failed for me yet. Must get more!

It took me a couple of minutes to identify the hauntingly familiar scent that lay across my wrists, then it came to me -- Lemon Pez. Sugary, crisp, ever-so-sweet candy lemon. Delicious!

In the imp: Citrus? Vaguely... After a few sniffs I can identify the lemon balm and the myrrh. Hooray for the former and boo for the latter. Myrrh never works on me, but the promise of lemon balm and honeysuckle was too tempting to ignore. Here's hoping the myrrh gets lost in translation. Fruity, sweet, innocent.

On the wrist, wet: Getting the lemon balm and honeysuckle, this blend is fruity and floral all at once. Alas the myrrh is still very much present and threatening to turn this entire thing into a powdery mess.

On the wrist, dry: The myrrh has completely taken over and turned this into powder. *sigh*

Final Analysis: Alas, the lemon balm and honeysuckle were not tough enough to win the battle against myrrh, sandalwood and my body chemistry. Off to the swaps.

ETA: Grammar error.

ETA2: I didn't add the grammar error, I subtracted it.

Edited by Miseraya

Polyhymnia is an oil I burn when I sit down to write sometimes. On my skin, the lemon balm is too strong, but in my oil burner it smells fantastic. It smells like lemon and herbs and is remarkably uplifting and refreshing.

Got this as a freebie in my last order: thanks, y'all!

Lemony, but a thick, rich, warm, honeyed lemony.

Imagine that scents are people, in this case Goth chicks: if Embalming Fluid is the skinny Goth chick, all kole-eyed shyness and Ankh-bedecked collarbones and sharp knees poking out of torn fishnets, then Polyhymnia is the pluscious scream queen, curves clad in yards of velvet, with a sly knowing smile and cleavage for days.

Fab on its own, Polymymia his makes a good blender, a sweet note to lighten more aggressive scents.

I've emptied my imp...and I tried so hard to be stingy. I'll no doubt end up ordering more, like the damn sniff junkie I've become.

In vial: lemon balm dominates. I get a touch of rosemary, but everything else is completely overwhelmed by the lemon balm.

Wet on skin: Still dominated by lemon balm, but the sage is starting to peak through, as is the sandalwood. There's a bit of a honey sweetness to it (the honeysuckle?).

Dry: Pure lemon balm and honey. It's nice, but not for me.

Edited by phedre