Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin with cocoa, hazelnut and walnut.

Pumpkin with cocoa is such a delicious combination! The cocoa in this blend is not milky sweet like Bliss or Velvet but rather more subdued like fine baking chocolate. A good thing as the pumpkin is sweet enough in my opinion. I can't really smell the hazelnut or walnut outright but they add a bit of something underneath that make this a well rounded oil. This also strikes me as a gourmand scent as opposed to something foody. The combination enhances the notes but is well balanced so it's not cloying in the least. Simply wonderful!

post-57-1133858173.png

Preconceived notions: Cocoa is generally not a good note for me - it tends to smell dry and stale, rather than rich and creamy. But maybe the other notes will save it?

In the bottle: Buttery chocolate - but it somehow doesn't smell like real chocolate to my nose.

On: The chocolate is richer than the Lab's other chocolate blends have been on my skin, but still doesn't smell real. At first, chocolate is the only note I can smell, but a buttery/nutty aroma begins to emerge as the oil dries down. To my nose, the pumpkin is overpowered and I can't smell it at all - and sadly, the buttery note does what buttery notes usually do with my chemistry - it becomes dry and stale-smelling, and a bit cloyingly sweet.

Sadly, this is the only Pumkin Patch scent that doesn't work for me - but 4 out of 5 ain't bad!

This is really the coziest of all for me. The cocoa makes the pumpkin seem less buttery & a little sweeter. It smells like the MOST perfect pumpkin chocolate soufflee! I am in utter love & will treasure this little baby forever!

BTW: just a little spice in here, not very much at all. Perfection of pumpkin!

Mmm... this is hot cocoa and pumpkin, all whirled together, reminding me of grabbing a cup of hot spiced cocoa, standing on a porch and watching the wind whip through what's left of the leaves on the trees...

Starts off very much 'cocoa!' with a warm undercurrent, a touch sharp and definitely a blend of nuts. The pumpkin makes another appearance, adding a slightly earthy base to the blend. After it dries down a bit, the nuts assert themselves more and remind me of shortcake dipped in milk chocolate. Mmm!

Wow - this came out beautifully. It's quite a bit softer than I expected, very close to the skin.

It starts out as the buttery pumpkin note I smell in all of the Patch, but I can also smell sweet cocoa - it actually smells a lot like the early stages of 13, to me.

It just gets softer as it dries; the nuts don't really come forward, but I can tell they're there because the cocoa doesn't turn super sweet. This just settles in closer and closer to the skin, making it a very warm and comforting scent.

I was worried that this one would be nauseatingly sweet on me, but it's so good. I've been so pleasantly surprised with The Pumpkin Patch. I figured that they would be mostly novelty scents, but they are so wearable and wonderful.

This one smells like pumpkin pie thoroughly dusted with rich dark cocoa powder. It's more of a bitter dark chocolate than a too sweet chocolate, and it mixes with the sweet pumpkin perfectly. I don't smell the walnut or hazelnut really, but the cocoa gets a bit stronger in the drydown.

This is another love for me.

This is a delicious, gourmand mix of cocoa and pumpkin with some nuttiness hovering over.

Fantastic, tons of throw, and it's been going strong for 4 hours now. Also elicited a compliment from the boyfriend.

Thumbs up!

in the bottle: chocolate yumminess

wet; pumpkin appear seemingly out of no where

as it dries it is chocolate covered pumkin. yummy and decadent

Another great pumpkin blend. The cocoa is strong in the bottle, but once on the skin it recedes and I get mostly the hazelnut/walnut combo with a subdued pumpkin note that almost smells baked. It dries down to a very soft and hazy pumpkin pie on my skin.

This one is a "morpher" on me as well, in the opposite direction of #1.

On first application I do get a very rich chocolate, but also something sharp and bitter...and not in a cocoa or dark chocolate way. To be honest, very wet this was a bit unpleasant and I was apprehensive.

And then it began to dry. The pumpkin blooms and chases whatever sharpness started this off screaming into the night - the warm squashy foodiness is deepened by some very high-class ganache. If it were sophisticated chocolate pumpkins alone I might well still love it, but the hazelnut appears next and it's the kicker. It's what really brings depth to this blend for me; the nuttiness completes it and adds occasional whiffs of what almost smells like caramel but not quite. It's not a sweet blend, but a rich one, with flashes of sweet.

This dries down into the softest, most gorgeous deep terra-cotta colored blanket of scent. There is alot of throw to #2 for me and it's very long lasting, but the very end may be my favorite stage of all. It becomes a close skin scent, powdery in a velvet cocoa-powder way that leaves my nose and heart glowing. I love this.

Wet - pumpkin and cocoa. I wasn't sure if I would like this or not, but so far, yum!

Dry - Well if I was slightly disappointed with Pumpkin Patch 1, this more than makes up for it. This is dark, rich cocoa, with a little pumpkin mixed in. Very foody; it reminds me of the smell of baking fall treats. This may be my favorite chocolate scent yet! I'm not a huge fan of either hazlenut or walnut, but in here they just add a slightly nutty note. Oh I know what this is now, pumpkin brownies, fresh from the oven. Love this one!!

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 5.

I tried PP #2 fearing Bliss or Gluttoney...how happy I was to find a slightly buttery pumpkin dusted with semi-sweet cocoa powder! I don't really get a nuttiness here (thank goodness), and the cocoa is by far the best, most sophisticated chocolate note I've ever encountered, so I'm happy. The pumpkin does smell particularly "fruity" in this blend, though...hmmm...

I am still sick, but I can smell today! I will edit if any dramatic changes occur when I am well again.

Pumpkin Patch 2 is the first of the Patch that I've tried. I chose it because it seemed really comforting, and I am in the middle of a terrible cold and had to go out this afternoon. It was the perfect choice, I think!

It started out buttery-smelling, but the butter dies down quickly and then things are really great. I smell the cocoa, and it's very smooth and warm over the slightly fruity, slightly buttery pumpkin. It makes me think of hot chocolate and baking. My nose is a little weak, but I'm pretty sure there's a gentle nuttiness as well - the hazlenut is the one I'm most familar with, so that's mostly what I pick up. It smells like all things warm and cozy and autumnal. I love love love it, and will wear it whenever I need to feel warm and safe in the cold fall and winter. It's delicious!

PPatch 2 strikes the perfect note between fruit and chocolate -- in fact, it's not even *fruit*. it's...

it's so hard to describe this one! foody, but not cloying. sweet but not sugary. rich but not overwhelming.

in some blends, the sweetness is so much that it seems to have fingers and hands with which to choke you. Gluttony is like that for me. just WAY too much! but here... it's sweet without making my teeth ache. it's chocolate but not powder, but not bar either. the nuts are there, but they just ground it, acting as a supporting base.

it's comforting, yet sexy too. there's a toffeeness to it, but it's like if my skin were a toffee, rather than just a toffee candy.

i really can't describe this one, other than to say you won't be getting my bottle in the swaps! :P

n.

Cocoa dusted pumpkin, with roasting nuts in the background. This is the blend of an autumn evening. Sitting around carving pumpkins on the porch. Eating roasted pumpkin seeds and drinking hot cocoa.

The pumpkin in this blend reminds me the most of the pumpkin in Jack. It isn't as buttery as Jack though. :P

Gorgeous blend, cozy and comforting.

Oh. My. God. This is SO YUMMEH. :D

It smells like a rich, velvety, smooth cup of hot pumpkin spice mocha. The pumpkin note is very true -- very distinct, sweet, and almost light. The cocoa and hazelnut are grounding, and, surprisingly, they almost cut the sweetness of the pumpkin just enough to make the whole blend cozy and foody without being overwhelming or headachy.

Yum.

:P

I got my order last night and went to bed wearing this. IT IS SO YUMMY! I want to say its my favorite (I'll get back to ya on that one) but I havent tried the other pumpkin patch smells yet. It starts off as this buttery pumkin nut and then it just cozies up with the cocoa and really makes me want to not only wear this but it gives me some creative ideas for my next hot chocolate! I love it. Nothing in this gets too overpowering but it lasts and lasts. Just make sure you have a soft pillow or blanky (or lover ) to curl up with this because it really is perfect for those nights when its cold out and your warm in. MMM

This is my favorite of the patch, its so warm and sweet. Love it!! :P

Edited by Nadirah

Pumpkin Patch 2

Once again, my PP disclaimer: I got a set of decant imps for a pumpkin crazy friend (he got both my old and new formulation Jack imps after I figured out I couldn't stand them) but I have been given permission to test before I deliver. I am not a fan of pumpkin, but PP1 proved that I can grow to love it.

Plus, in my continuing effort to educate my nose, what better way than to go through a series of blends that have at least one note in common?

So, on with the experiment!

In the bottle: Very assertive butter/nut note that I also get from Gluttony and Bliss. Gluttony is more aggressive/scary, and Bliss is more milk chocolately than this, but they are what came to mind for similarity.

Wet/drydown: Thankfully, the butter recedes and all but disappears. The nuts are really lovely--toasted and subtle but definitely there as a grounding note. The cocoa is very light, dry, and more of a slightly gritty dusting on top rather than a huge honking bar in the middle.

But the pumpkin. Yikes! I thought in PP1 that the over-sweet girly cosmetic fragrance I was picking up was due to the spiced apple, but noooo. It's the pumpkin! This is too too sweet cloying fruitiness.

Later: This has been on for a little over an hour. The waft is tremendous. I'm still getting crazy sweetness, but as per PP1's late evening surprise, I'll update in a few hours.

ETA: several hours later, this was an almost gone, next-to-skin powdery cocoa. Nice, but not remarkable. This one had medium to low staying power on me. The Mr. said "This smells like bandaids"! :P

Edited by darkitysnark

Oh god, this sounded like absolute heaven.

I think lovers of Bliss will be really into it, because that's just what it smelled like on me.

Sniffing the imp I smelled pumpkin, but with a warm nutmeg/almost egg nog tone. Definitely nutty and sweet.

On my skin I got really artificial pumpkin, like a Yankee Candle, plus a fake chocolate smell.

As this dried it was pure fake chocolate, just dominating and squashing away any trace of pumpkin.

Arghhhh.

It smelled like... hmmm like cheap chocolate cake frosting. Kind of watery, kinda synthetic and gross.

To sweet for me, and too brash. Not enough punkin'

This is a funny one, it kind-of layers.

All around me there is a cloud of thouroughly Jack-smelling pumpkin, but if I sniff my wrist directly, there's very little pumpkin, and it smells a lot like gourmet pumpkin cocoa mix... there's a kind of dry-ness to it.

OMG--this is it! This is the chocolate scent I've been looking for!

Wet, this is a rich dark chocolate smell with a hint of walnuts. It smells like very high quality fudge, but there's another dimension to it that I can't articulate. It's wonderful, though.

By noon the pumpkin started peeping out. I read Beth's pumpkin note as being a bit buttery and that went very well with the chocolate and the nuts.

Dry, there's still a bit of pumpkin and chocolate with hazelnut floating over all.

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! :P

This one is definitely the most buttery and foody of the bunch. I can smell the chocolate when I sniff it in the bottle, but that note doesn't come out as much on my skin. This just ends up soft, sweet, and a touch spicy on me. It is probably the most pumpkin-y on me as well.

In the bottle this one is my favorite of the pumpkin patch. It's chocolatey, sweet goodness. On my skin though it goes through a really bad burning plastic phase and then comes back around to the chocolate later. Not a ton of pumpkin here. But the nutty chocolate phase is really nice.

Wet, this is a sweet buttery cocoa, a stage I do not like-- maybe because it smells too foody in the wrong way. However, I recognize that cocoa usually smells this way when wet, on me. I can smell the hazelnut at this point, and it's really nice.

After a half hour of drying, the cocoa has almost completely faded, and the oil smells rich and nutty and well-blended. It kind of reminds me of the base notes of Samhain (although not as much as the pumpkin with five woods and ivy does). I *really* like the hazelnut note!

I think I'm going to pass this one on because the initial cocoa weirdness is too strange for me. But I hope we see more non-foody hazelnut blends... :P

117454264.jpg

Here's my not too good picture of what the bottle looks like. http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL202/154131...4/117455265.jpg

In the bottle

In the bottle is what makes me think this is going to be my favorite of the Pumpkin Patch blends...lightly toasted hazelnut, cocoa and pumpkin in the background. Wow. This might just make up for "Spooky".

On

Naturally it doesn't smell as good on my skin as it did in the bottle, but at least it does so immediately. That said, Pumpkin Patch #2-Pumpkin, Cocoa, Hazelnut and Walnut blend will now be my foody chocolate BPAL blend of choice moving forward, straying completely from the previous Bliss/Vice/Morocco trinity.

30 minutes

It does go through a chalky phase on my skin as it starts to dry. BPAL's "Morocco" and "Spooky" both do this on me also. Spooky does this in spades for me so that it's just acrid and smokey smelling. Pumpkin Patch #2 gets almost dry, dark and smokey but it is able to stay a nice yummy smelling blend on my skin. The pumpkin actually comes out a bit more for me when it's dry. Go figure, it's a nice surprise.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Foody

Summary

This smells like a 4 star "pastry designer's" dessert in the bottle.

As it dries it turns somewhat more chalky smelling on me then the pumpkin comes back and smells more like toasted, sweet pumpkin seeds (almost like a caramlized pumpkin sugar that one takes off the boiler right before the "burn" stage) and cocoa and nuts. Not a spicy pumpkin blend at all but definitely rich, dark and warm.

The scent lasts a bit longer than the average BPAL blend.

Purchase again?

Yes. If I ran out I would buy another 5ml.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet