Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A chill, crystalline nocturnal perfume: moonflower with oriental poppy, fairy lily, orris and night gladiolus.

This is a very soft, white blend. In fact, of all of the blends I've tried, this is the only one that I would classify as white. It's soft, sweet, floral, but with the dry undertone of the orris to give it balance. I like it well enough (again, Beth makes me like flowers, and damn it, I'm not a girly girl!), but I don't know how often I'll wear it. Edited by Shollin

On first application this is a light, cool floral. It's sharp and clean and delicate, with barely any throw. Definitely an evening scent. I think I detect the lily, and the sweetness of the moonflower, but this is so well-balanced I can't really distinguish individual notes.

Although this scent is a little powdery, it's also wonderfully fresh and sweet. I don't think this is a scent for me, but it is a lovely one.

N.B. - I jot down my first impressions without looking at the official description.

In the vial: Mmm, sweet white florals.

Wet: White florals, maybe some violets, and an aquatic note.

Drydown: More exotic florals rising up now, maybe jasmine or gardenia. And there's a powdery note I associate with violets, or it could be amber or sandalwood. The aquatic twines in and out of the other notes.

Dry: Now it's mostly aquatic, with that powdery base. An odd but very pretty combination. It has faded quite a bit in the past two hours though. I like this one, but I suspect it will have to go into a lotion to have any throw on me.

Kim

This smells like a white flower, with a hint of warmth, but the warmth is only caught close to my skin. This has absolutely no throw, so I imagine this to be an evening scent, put in the shallows where your new lover will graze.

Mmm, I like this. I thought I was getting tired of florals already, but this does have quite a bit of appeal.

In the Bottle: Fantastic. The moonflower I’m assuming is the top note and smoothes out the other scents harmoniously. High hopes for this one.

Wet: Smells exactly like it did in the bottle. Soft, feathery and enchanting. I love it.

Drydown: I did right by ordering a big bottle of this. It maintains it’s celestially soft nature all the way through.

Another great Poe inspired scent. The cool white florals are definitely subtle, nobody is overwhelming in there. Moonflower is the major note I pick up. It reminds me intensely of a scent I wore about 10 years ago called Chinese Musk, which (contrary to the name) was very unmusky.

This is less "me" than some BPAL smells, but I still am liking it a lot. The delicacy of the blend is really nice- I will definitely be able to wear this working customer service and not worry about annoying people with strong perfume. Not much throw, someone would have to be really close to you to smell it.

I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5.

EDIT: I bought this one lab-fresh in... January? Now, in April, it has aged some. Boy, has it improved. While I liked it before, I ended up not wearing it much- I guess I felt it was a little wimpy, honestly, it had some stiff competition, there are so many amazing BPAL oils. Now, it has developed quite a bit more depth and simply... changed. I am having a hard time explaining exactly how, but it smells significantly different than it did bright-and-shiny-new. Better. Definitely better. I suspect the orris has come out to play a bit more. The lily is a bit creamier smelling, and more noticeable I think, too. While before it could have masqueraded as a single-note moonflower to me, it has definitely become more than that with some time to mellow.

It still isn't an overwhelming, heady floral- it is still absolutely dead on to it's description of being chill, white and crystalline, indeed star-like. But DEFINITELY give this a chance to age before making a decision about it. It really made an enormous difference for me, bumping it up from an enjoyable-but-seldom-used scent to one I reach for several times a week.

I'd change my rating to a 5 for the aged version. And I'll probably be hunting down an extra bottle or two, the first I've needed for the DiMV scents.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

As I've noted before, I'm crap at picking out floral notes, so I think of florals in terms of color. That said, to me, Evening Star is a beatiful white and soft lavender floral blend. If that top floral is moonflower, then it's safe to say I'm a moonflower fan.

This blend is sweet and subtle; it has staying power -- I can still smell it eight hours later -- while being light enough that I can wear it to work when I'm in the mood to smell girlie. Another great floral blend.

For a girl who doesn't like florals, I sure am enjoying a lot of the Lab's floral blends.

Evening Star is a very elegant scent. It's clean white floral. This scent is best suited for dancing to slow music in moonlit gardens. Very soft, very romantic, almost ethereal. Its got good throw too. Definitely a keeper (and if I can find it, a bottle).

ETA: Thanks to the extension of the DiMV (went down 2/2), I was able to purchase a bottle (yay!).

Edited by mandragora

First Impression: A slightly fruity breath of fresh air - like walking through an orchard.

Dries down to: A beautiful crystalline floral.

Additional Comments: I'm not familiar with the individual scents of the florals in this blend (although I've noticed that moonflower is in other blends I like) but this is absolutely gorgeous - a totally romantic oil. I'm so glad I was in time to order a bottle after testing the imp.

Lasted: Several hours

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

In the bottle: Yup, I got that soap vibe too. Beautiful scent, it's a little thicker smelling than I expected. A slight hint of something woody, maybe..

Wet, on skin: Basically, the same as in the bottle for me. It warmed up a bit on my skin, but still a beautiful, floral scent that had that unexpected hint of.. sandalwood? possibly even a smidge of pumpkin..

Dry, on skin: I didn't have very long to figure this part out, as this faded within twenty minutes of putting it on. I caught a faint hint of something unpleasant, but couldn't put a finger on what it was.

Overall, this smelled much the same on my skin as it did in the bottle. I was disappointed at how short a time it lasts. But hey, my boyfriend tried to eat me up while I was wearing it, so that makes it a keeper. :P

Another imp from the generous lj kamyra!

In the imp: Clean, white floral.

On Skin: Clean, pretty floral. It's very light and subtle. Very feminine.

On Drydown: Floral. Light. Pretty. Very ethereal. It makes me inhale deeply and just... enjoy. There is a slight herby note that I can't distinguish that prevents this from becoming too cloying.

Verdict: There is a very light and pretty floral. Very feminine without being overly sexual. It makes me feel pretty!

In Bottle: Soapy floral

On Skin: The lily stands out right away. Very white and regal. Very light but so feminine and beautiful! The throw is also very light, this isn’t a heady floral. The florals blend so well together that the only note I can actually pick out is the lily. This really is an evening scent, clean and soft. I like that it gives the feeling of that distant starlight. You can see it and it twinkles, but very faint… just like a star. I see this as a nice scent to wear to a intimate dinner date or while sitting on a porch swing looking up at the stars on a warm spring night. The staying power is quite short sadly…

This is a beautiful scent. Although I like florals, I often shy away from them because the scents can be overwhelming. This is nothing like that. It's a clear, lovely scent and its throw remains constant rather than growing louder with body heat and then retreating. The Evening Star is very sophisticated and cool. She is the kind of girl who stands back, quietly confident, knowing that you will come to her.

A light, feminine, enchanting floral. Definitely a white smell for me, the lilies are certainly on top. "Crystalline" is such a good descriptive word for this scent, it's smooth and fresh and clear. I can detect a bit of the moonflower, it gives it such an innocent, girly feel. I'm sad that my bottle leaked in shipping, because now I only have about %75 of a 5 ml, but I will enjoy this one. Possibly my favorite DimV scent thus far. :P

I don't know why it's taken me soooo long to review this one!! But it's in my top 3 favourite BPAL scents, it's that gorgeous!!

It smells cozy, yet elegant. Yet at the same time, you could wear this and cuddle up on a fuzzy robe in front of your tv. It's what I wear when I want to feel pretty and grown up and it never lets me down!! Put is this way - if BPAL existed when I got married 12 years ago, I'd have worn Evening Star that day!!!Now THAT'S love!!

Oh, how I wish I'd ordered more of this scent!!!! But it makes what I have all the more special!! :P

Edited by purplegirl

bottle:

light white florals

wet:

same - very nice (may be similar to midnight?) definitely smells "white"

dry:

not much change again! Very mild, I really like it.

overall:

another light floral that I like!

rating: 7/10

I managed to wrangle an imp of this, yay!

I tried this on for the first time tonight. I love it!

In the bottle it was chill and sedate. Fairly light and airy smelling.

In the wet stage it was definately stronger, very floral, but pleasing none the less.

When dry it is the perfumers epitome of serenity. It's floral without seeming overpoweringly floral. This coming from someone who typically hates floral scents...

Like a large percentage of BPAL scents this one last, and lasts and lasts on me. 6+ hours, a bath and i can still smell it. Impressive!

This is a nice airy floral but on me is too similar, on me, to Zorya to warrant a bottle.

In the bottle, this is tender and sweet - a shy scent whispering softly about it's beauty, telling itself how lovely it is and waiting for another to see it as well. Once out and wet on my skin, the poppy trickles along and sends vines of spicy floral trailing from wrist to elbow and tangles around my fingertips despite the fact that only a tiny amount was dabbed onto my iner arm. As it dries and warms, lily and orris and moonflower swirl up and through the poppy, leaving a base of timid gladiolus to ground them as they hover truly inches above my skin like a light silk sleeve that the breeze is lifted off my arm. Another whiff a moment later and the poppy and gladiolus have mixed, leaving me giddy and eager for nightfall. Still calm, but sophistcated, this twirls in and out of the mists of definition and demands I go put on my blue silk dress and those high heels that are classy and I hate, that I dot color over my eyes - silver and pale blue like moonshine through nigh-clouded sky and shine my lips with cool mints. This is flirtatious but tentative, sophisticated but withdrawn. Once dried and faded, there is a slight powdery scent to it, but not unpleasant. It's cool yet friendly, very clear and precise. Each floral is delicate but distinct and they mix like a heavenly night garden cocktail, just heady enough to make you consider asking somebody else to drive you home - just strong enough to let you consider handing over control for a bit, to be the passenger and the enjoyer.

Clear, light white florals and evening air, just like the descriptions says. This is cool, elegant, and understated - like a long black silk evening dress. Something about it says "eveningwear" to me, so I see Evening Star as a scent for formal cocktail/dinner parties rather than daywear.

evening star seems very elegant to me... a light bright floral. with a little "shimmer" in it? I guess I can't really explain it any more than that... just that it is beautiful!!! :P

Evening Star - I don’t understand. The Lab descriptions makes it sound so pretty, like it’s right up my alley. But I put it on, and it acquires a slimy aquatic scent. I think that when I’m not OTR I’ll try it again and see if it works better on me once my hormones balance out. There’s just no reason for this scent to smell so awful on me. Not one, as far as I can tell according to the Lab description. Such a huge disappointment. No, I’m not done with it. I am going to try it again in a few days.

i was gifted an imp of this in a swap and i (am ashamed to admit) i let it sit for a few weeks, because the description of it, and the notes, didn't sound like something that i would like.

*hangs her head in shame*

i tried it and this is beautiful.

this smells the way the glow of a beautiful, clear full moon feels on my skin.

the way everything looks *different* in that light -- even the backyard you know so well can look alien and interesting under moonlight. or creepy. just different.

i have white flower petals making love to my skin everywhere i've slathered myself, and an aura of *bliss*

yes, i know i'm melodramatic. (like some of y'all aren't just as bad!) but this is beautiful.

i must check my notes to see which angel first shared this oil with me.... whomever it was, i owe a tremendous thanks (with an eensy bit of frustration, being as how this is an LE)