Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dee

... His scent is soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods.

Smells like...Polo.

I did a search for rosewood in blends and found Dee.

Wet on skin - When first applied, it is subtle, slightly woodsy with a hint of resin. I keep checking on it, but it continues to be very faint.

Dry - It is starting to get stronger and the rosewood and the resins start to bloom. After about an hour, the notes begin to combine into a resiny/woodsy goodness with the parchment floating through. It is at this point in the development of Dee that I leave to go to sleep...................6 hours later, I move my hand across my face and am met with the most gorgeous sweet wood and resin scent. It is so beautiful and I think that it's the tonka combining with everything that gives it the sweet aroma. This is absolutely lovely and I have found another surprise love.

In the imp: it's very much an aftershave-ish sort of scent, with woods and incense and leather and that sharp cologne tinge.

On me, wet: oh wow, that's much creamier and softer on my skin - leather and rosewood and a papery scent, and the whole thing is sort of musky. Very nice indeed.

On me, dry: man, this still smells somewhat like an aftershave, but a leathery creamy papery rosewood incensey one. Very very nice indeed.

Verdict: I'm not sure how many sexy boy scents I *need*, and I seem to have hit a whole bunch of them recently. I'll almost certainly keep the imp around and try it on the SO to see how it works on him, but after slathering him in Theodosius I'm not sure he'll let me slather him in *another* scent soon...

Leather and wood and an underlying sweet warmth. Masculine. Creamy. The leather is the kind that is bound around books, not the kind in motorcycle jackets.

This is so what Rupert Giles on Buffy smells like. He's just been measuring out herbs for customers at the Magic Box. Now he's sitting down with a thick book of disturbing prophecy, in Latin. More books are piled up on the table in front of him, and on the shelves behind him.

Smells great on my husband, and fortunately he likes it. His personality doesn't entirely suit the scent. He's too fizzy and silly for it, somehow. But hey, I can deal with that slight mismatch.

Initial Impressions: I cannot stress how much I LOVE this fragrance. This was the first one I wanted to try on receiving my imps.

Bottle Impressions: Harsh, Leathery, Soapy. Cologne.

On the Skin: The Cologne notes are intensified briefly. The rosewood comes immediately to the front.

Dry: A more mellow scent. Suggestions of occult incenses, perfumes, and smoke. The entire scent intially suggests hardcovered books resting on rosewood tables while incense burns, and soft, sweet, oils anoint the Priest. The hints of masculinity bring the idea of John Dee to this scene.

Mature: The stronger scents fade into the background, revealing an absolutely intoxicating, strong, Tonka overtone. Tonka has a strong intoxicating and aphrodesiac effect on me, which sent my head into strange, sexy, places. This is the swoon of the Rite.

Several hours later: All of the rush has gone from the scent. It's now soft, powdery, and resigned. It's still subtly masculine, but the scent of paper, soft wood ashes, and a faint musk come to the surface.

Over all: This is the Essence of a Ritual. It starts out commanding, powerful, and potent. It swirls into heady, energetic, rush... and when it closes it is resigned, satisfied, and sweet.

Buyability: It is a very masculine fragrance, but I would buy a full-sized bottle for myself for personal use. Not something I'd wear out much (in public the subtle notes are lost, and it smells a lot like aftershave), but it is personally very appealing.

There must be pine in this as well as the rosewood, perhaps one of the "soft woods", becase all i get is a cologny wood/pine scent. grr. i want leather!!

Just...wow.

The quite-aged imp I tried through the GC Circle Swap absolutely blew me away. The leather is warm and spicy, and combines beautifully with the warm tonka and incense. It smells like the hot spicy aridness of the laurel woods in Merin, CA, where I hiked this August.

Fresh Dee is more obviously leather, and feels more masculine, but it's still beautiful. It's almost what I expected Coyote to smell like, only it doesn't evoke the idea of Coyote at all. This is very much a professor/magician/alchemist sort of scent. Like a hug from a favorite eccentric great-uncle sitting in a beat-up leather armchair.

So much love.

Dee sounded appealling but I avoided picking it up due to bad luck with these notes in the past. I'm getting the chance to try it now as a frimp from the lab!

In the imp: Something smells dark green and foresty and something else smells like an office.

On, wet: I get tonka, something vaguely evocative of "forest" to me, and something else... I struggle to identify a note for a few moments when I realize that, oh my gosh, it's LEATHER! The Highwayman instantly turned to motor oil on my skin so I didn't know I could wear leather this way. After a minute or two, it's a little sweeter (rosewood?) and the leather seems to be threatening to go bad.

On, dry: From a distance, I'm now getting an awesome forest from the woods, tonka, and incense. A close sniff reveals parchment and an almost motor-oily version of leather that makes me cough. There's less leather as the scent fades, but you lose the subtlety of the nice notes at the same time.

a men’s cologne with dominant woods and leather notes. smells dry and dusty at first, with something earty/mossy underneath. after about 20 minutes it has sweetened up quite a bit. it’s the same sweet woodsy scent of rosewood that is also found in ouija and séance, but the tonka makes it even sweeter here. i don’t ever really smell the incense.

On me this starts out as a soft leather blend. A nice leather like the one in Whip. After the initial drydown though, this becomes all woods on me. Drat this stupid skin chemistry and woods. >_< This one sounds so nice too.

My first thought on trying Dee (almost a year ago) was, "Oh! Library!" and while I was pretty delighted at the scent-memory it conjured up, I didn't really think I'd actually want to smell like a library all day long, so I sort of stored my imp away again and didn't think about it for a long, long time... today, though, I got out my oil burner and tried it out in that, and I find it absolutely perfect as a room scent. It still positively screams library at me, which is just the most delicious thing to associate with a scent, ever, and just having it wafting around in my room makes me happier and warmer. When I run out of this imp, I'm totally getting a bottle. :P

I recieved this as a Frimp in a Dark Moon decant circle. I didn't remember reading about the scent at all and as such, had no idea what it was supposed to smell like.

So... I tried it on.

At first... it smelled like my father. I swear, it smelled so much like a cologne he used to wear that it made me want to cry. I put this on and it was my father getting dressed to take me out to dinner.

This scent is a mans man who's going out for a nice fat steak dinner... and then... where ever the night takes him. Its the scent the Marlbro Man wears when he cleans up for a date.

So... finding this both comforting (becuase of the memories of my father) and sexy (because, well, its so incredibly manly...) I immediately attacked my husband (who was incredibly good natured about the whole thing considering he told me LONG ago that he was done with the smelly thing... just keep ordering him Wilde and leave him alone with the "testers")

And... :)... it smells the same on him... :D

My husband is now officially the sexiest man on the planet... and I'm going to stop writing this now

:D

and go attack my hubby :P

Scent: Dee

Bottle: Alcohol. Oh, and something faintly woodsy underneath, like a sandalwood. I can almost smell frankincense, too. But that alcohol scent overwhelms it.

Wet: The alcohol tones down a little, and the frankincense comes out much stronger. There's something sweet under that, but heck if I know what.

Lunch-time: Sandalwood, sandalwood, sandalwood. ^.^ Yellow sandalwood, at that. But nothing else. This one dies fast too.

Dinner-time: Looks like I didn't get to this. Or it died before I could.

Dee was a frimp that I was joyful about because I had been wanting to sniff, enticed by the reviews, so: thank you labbies!

Ahem. however, we didn't get along as well as I'd hoped. he didn't much like my boyfriend either. I got none of the yummy notes listed, just an acrid sort of cologne smell. Not good, and way too "masculine" smelling for either one of us. I was hoping for tonka and leather and parchment and incense, but we got alcohol soaked linen, both of us.

Anyway, I guess that this can all be chalked up to skin chemistry. I was sharing the BPAL love with some friends, and whipped out a couple that don't work so well on me but that I was hopeful might be better with other skins. and MAN were they. On my friend Daniel's skin this smelled *magnificent* - succulent and warm, yet strong and virile. I think the tonka base sweetened it up, but it was a delicious "man" smell on him and I was happy to finally smell what the fuss was about. Needless to say, the imp went home with him (and his girl was quite happy about that)! :P

I had ordered this as part of an imp pack intended to be gifted, but they sent me a frimp too. Let's see if this one is as good as it sounded.

In the bottle: Strong cologne smell. Sort of woodsy.

Wet: Still a strong woodsy cologne smell, now the overpowering cologne note is fading into something more smokey.

Dry: Mmmm. Spicy and a little dusty. It almost turns a little minty on my skin. I wonder how it will smell on my husband :P

I got an imp of this in a sale -- the notes intrigued me.

I really liked this in the bottle, but the notes are LIGHT on me. I smell the leather and the rosewood, but not much of the other notes at all. It dried-down very, very fast, and like Euterpe yesterday, my skin ATE it. What gives, skin?? After that, just an incense-y after-note was left on my skin. After an hour or so, that disappeared as well. Very beautiful (it smells academic!) in the imp, but my chemistry is having none of it!

For now, my "library" smell is still Magus! :P

Dee is very masculine on me. I smell like my boyfriend! I will definitely be giving this one to him - it's lovely!

The only note I can really pick out is the leather , but it's much warmer and spicier than just that. Rosewood? Bay?

The first sniff in the imo I get rosewood, leather, incence and a tinge of wood. On me smells rosey, maybe even the incense I can smell. I feel that it still smells masculine on me, but I like masculine smells so it's good. I can also smell the leather and parchement lightly just sitting in the background. I'm really loving this smell, might get a bottle.

straight sniff from bottle is light woods, incense and just the right touch of leather...once applied the rosewood becomes very apparent...really lovely

blend...i like it :P

the inspiration of this blend alone is enough for me to fall in love with it. reading the notes, i have my fingers crossed this can work on my and my skin doesn’t eat it all.

in the imp – so light, it’s almost nothing. just the faintest whiff of incense.

wet – all i can get is a very light incense. can this be for real? and incense note working on my skin?

dry-down – some leather coming through now, but the scent stays light, warm, with just a hint of dustiness. and the incense is still there, delicate and sweet. not overpowering, which is perfect. hmm, i may have to take this one out for a few more spins and see if a bottle is in my future. tell me dear John, what do the stars say for the likelihood of this?

Dee is unexpectedly sour-smelling to my nose when applied to my boy's skin. Neither of us liked it much; in particular I was expecting something much, much softer.

That's what I get for getting my hopes up... :P

First Sniff: Chemicals and vanilla. Very unpleasant.

On: No vanilla; lots of dusty bright florals.

Dry: Incense, florals, and just the ghost of an aromatic wood, if I concentrate while I sniff my wrist hard.

Long-Term: Just florals, and annoying ones. Not a keeper.

In the Imp: Leather and woods, a bit incensy. Masculine and a little sharp. Reminds me of men's cologne, but one that I actually like.

Wet: It softens instantly, although the leather and rosewood are still present they're softer and rounder.

Drydown: Leather and incense, with the rosewood in the background. Warm, round and smooth. Is that frankincense? I rather like frankincense so it's all good.

Initial Dry: The incense has become more subdued, leaving leather and the rosewood as the dominant notes. I don't like rose, but I think I may have to investigate rosewood some more as this is beautiful. The leather isn't strong, it's warm and comforting, like a well worn and much loved leather jacket is.

Later: There's a hint of tobacco smoke now, and yes, parchment! This is the main reason I bought this seeing I love old books, second hand bookshops and libraries purely because they smell so good. Has decent throw too, funnily enough I seem to get a tiny bit of pine in the throw but not when I sniff my wrist up close. Soft leather, rosewood, a hint of tobacco smoke, incense and parchment, and just a little tonka.

This is freaking amazing and I love this. It's masculine but not overly so, and I prefer gender neutral or somewhat masculine scents in any case. There is definitely a bottle of this in our future - I say our because my partner has already decided he wants a bottle for himself and he hasn't tried it on himself yet! If it smells as good on him as I hope it does, I'll buy him the bottle myself!