Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Strength :: Endurance :: The Physical Body
Fertility :: Prosperity :: Money :: Solidity
Commitment :: Responsibility :: Practicality
Wisdom :: Patience :: Perserverance
Greed :: Materialism

On first application, this is earthy and green and sweet. I smell loam and eucalyptus, but it's blended well enough that I doubt myself. Is there patchouli as well?

The dirt note gets stronger over time, but it never loses the greeness, either. This is sweeter than I would expect of a forest blend, but I don't know how else to describe it. There's something ancient-smelling behind it as well. Fascinating. Edited by Shollin

In the bottle: aftershave and soil - a very fresh, masculine scent I can't pinpoint with a dab of earth.

Wet: Same as in the bottle, but the earth note comes out and becomes rather salty. There's a tobbacco scent to this, as well as some mushrooms, at the back.

Drydown: The aftershavey smells comes back, I'm suspecting it's vetiver. It smells rooty and dark, but still clean, with hints of tobacco. A mushroomy, salty dirt scent wafts back and forth over the vetiver.

Overall: It's Graveyard Dirt's salty brother. It's very evocative and makes me think of some kind of a salty swamp. It's oceanic and earthy at the same time. Interesting, but I prefer Graveyard Dirt straight. Gnome smells sort of sweaty and dirty rather than clean, despite the fresh note, it's a bit stifling, like a really hot swamp by the seaside. People describe it as smelling of dustbins, and there's a bit of that. Oops.

I'm terrible at notes, but the overall feel from this scent is soil. Fresh, damp soil. Not from a garden, but from deep in a forest. And it's not dirt on the surface-- it's the dirt that you reach after digging a few feet, where the sun doesn't hit and you'd find old roots and lots of bugs. Really lovely.

Earth in a bottle. Gnome is a fabulous take on the scent of wet soil. It grows subtle and becomes ... romanticized ... that's the first word that comes to mind. I like gnome as far as earth scents go. It's fresh.

Gnome is an incredibly dank and earthen scent. I smell wet soil, as if it’s been dug up from beneath the surface of a garden. That’s about all I smell – dirt and earth. It reminds me of the reason I don’t like gardening – I don’t like the smell of dirt and I don’t like worms. This makes me think of both. It has way too much throw for my comfort, and it lasts and lasts and lasts. I had to wash this one off.

Gnome-

In Bottle: Hmm, musky male cologne. I get no earth off this at all.

Wet: Menthol in the middle of this masculine musk--wow, interesting!

Dry: I'm afraid this got kind of sour-unwashed-old man on me. Not going to work.

Overall: Not for me.

This is one of those scents that I don't quite "get" because I would never willingly smell like this. That being said, the husband loves it! He says he loves smelling like dirt :D This is indeed one of those rotting earth scents; and I really can picture a dirty little earth gnome smelling like this. I'm sure there must be some vetiver in there, and a note that smells like rotting leaves. It is very strong indeed; so strong that I have trouble washing it off my wrist! If you are like my hubbie and you like smelling like icky things, this is the one for you! :P

GNOME

In Bottle: Herbal and earthy

On Skin: Most the elementals are herbal and earthy on me, two catagorys I don’t really go for. But I still like to try all the scents, so here we go… I get a very strong earthy dirt note. It smells like dusty earth though, not moist at all. It is also slightly resinous which makes me believe there is patchouli in this blend. Maybe a bit of vetiver as well. So to sum up this scent quickly, earth and a bit of a medicinal herb. Not my type of scent at all so I must swap it. Strong throw and long wearlength.

Wet and earthy. Not wearable for me, but very evocative of the characteristics it represents.

On the bottle it smells earthy indeed! gritty, a little bit woody, very brown, and a little bit spicy. It reminds me a bit of Alone, but it is not so desolate.

On, wet, it is very similar to Samhainophobia, the same kind of greenish vetiver. And wet, decomposing leaves. It might have a bit of patchouli too, and perhaps moss. As it dries down the little sharpeness goes away, and it becomes a very deep, low note scent.

This is SOIL in a bottle! moist, deciduous forest soil, with all the rotting leaves. I love that smell, and this is the scent that aproximates it the most from all those I have tried. Awesome, and it is spot on for the concept!

Maybe you have to be an earth sign, but I love Gnome. It has a buttload of vetiver and a sweet, resiny top note. I am also a fan of Beth's dirt notes so I'd put Gnome as sharper than Death Cap, and darker than Destroying Angel.

The short little man really should get more love.

In the imp, it smells like dirt, but when I put it on, it smelled strongly of eucalyptus. As it's drying the earthiness is coming out more, but it's still doing that nose-tingly eucalyptus thing. Because of that, it smells cold to me.

Gnome is all earth and pine. Patchouli! Of course this is a perfect representation of the elemental, but I personally have trouble staying grounded and this scent does strange things to me! Whenever I wear it I flush warm and my cheeks get hot and I start to feel really "off".

I am keeping my decant with plans to use it in some other form than on my skin.

In bottle: Pine and earth.

On me: Ooooh. More earth than pine, and something incensey and musky. Dark. Something sharp and green in that earth.

I'm selling my bottle, so I thought I should do a review before it goes! Gnome is a lovely earthy-pine scent when it's wet. It's definitely darker than Destroying Angel, but like Angel it has a floral aspect to it which comes out more and more as it dries.

Mostly dry to bone-dry - just a touch of pine but more floral-resiny now. Funny that something so "dirty" on others should turn out so floral on me! It mellows out very quickly on my skin, so this leads me to believe it won't hang around long. When I huff it, I find it calming and soothing. Quite nice, give Gnome a chance.

My imp of gnome was a special gift brought to me by Chumwick, so I knew it was ahem a "special" scent. Well, it was indeed dark and earthy,and I dabbed it on expecting it to turn a tad less dark. THE EARTH part that other people mention seemed to amp up on me, and even though I used a tiny drop it was the kind of "spilled an entire bottle on self" darkness feeling. It did remind me of dark rooms and head shops of my youth, but it felt too dark to wear comfortably, so despite being a special gift it has now found a loving home with a forumite who after receiving my imp ordered a bottle.

On me it was too patchouli/vetiver for comfy wearing:(

Oh man. This has got to be the dirtiest BPAL I've tried so far. It definitely has patchouli in it. On wet, it smelled like moist earth, the kind that grows things. Good, solid, wet dirt. It had this green vibe going on.

Now that it's dried, the patchouli is more distinctive, and not quite as 'dirty'. It is still a very 'earthy' kind of scent.

If you like dirt, patchouli and growing flowers, this is for you. It really does remind me to playing in a garden.

I found an old stash of imps with a tiny amount of this, an on my skin it's glorious: dark, earthy (in the sense of soil and the more general sense), cool like somewhere under the earth, rooty and resinous with a hint of leaf-mould like rot. It's *very* masculine. Partner compared it to the best of Shanghai Tunnel without the ozone/aquatic that killed that on me. I would LOVE to get my hands on a bottle, but suspect that's pretty much impossible these days. :s One for the wishlist...