Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Macha

Queen of Clubs

A modern incarnation of the Queen of Pentacles, or Disks, the Queen of the Thrones of Earth. Nurturing, warm and kind, she is practical, quiet and domesticated, and yet still ambitious, and possessed of the sensual lushness of Mother Earth. Soft, deep earth notes with myrrh, amber, pomegranate, dark incense, red currant, rose and vanilla.

In the imp it's dirt and something sweet. It's a little sharp and green to my nose. On me, it's just dirt for about 15 minutes. I get sharp, earthy notes with little else, but there's something sweet and fruity in the backround. Currant, I think. After the initial sharp dirt phase, it's one of my favorites ever. Red currant and tangy pomegranate and vanilla. A little bit of spicy myrrh. I don't get any rose, and I'm not really complaining about that. It reminds me of a more grown-up Bordello.

I love it. :P Edited by Shollin

I just had to try this out the same time as the King of Clubs.

In the imp, sweet!!!

Wet on the back of one wrist, a refreshing burst of currant and pomegranite!! YUM. Compared to the KoC on the other wrist, the Queen has a lighter, sweeter scent. Almost dainty but still regal.

Drying down, the florals come out and balance the berry scent which is making me love this scent more and more. I've been wearing it for over 6 hours and I keep catching wafts of it that makes me smile, straighten my back, and sniff my wrist. Definately one of my top favorite LEs! :P

Graveyard Dirt, which a hint of spicy floral. Completely addictive: I wear this when I want to feel bold but grounded. Just marvelous! And unlike Hecate, the myrrh doesn't irritate my skin.

This is one I think I like. Maybe. It might be Too Much though- myrrh might be the culprit. And the fruitiness can be a difficult thing for me. But I like some of the notes... it just seems like it may be one I won't be able to cope with for a long period of time, and that I'll find myself washing off quickly. I'll give it a few more tries though. It sure is complex- just maybe too cloying.

For now, I'm giving it a 3 out of 5.

This is the same note of dirt I get in Nosferatu. Oh, how I love that note! It's not as prominant as here, and the sweetness is a more grown up darker sweetness. I can pick up the dirt here and there, but it's mainly a currant and slightly floral smell. Very nice!

In the bottle: Fruity and candyish.

Wet: rich fruit that is quickly joined by dirt and earth tones.

Dry down: the dirt softens a bit and blends with the fruit, which becomes sweet but not overpoweringly so. I can definitely smell the pomengranate and the red currant lurks a bit behind. Slowly an incense note comes into play, blending well with the other notes.

This is a really beautiful scent and I'm afraid that it's not a good thing that I'm loving it so much since it's hard to get a bottle of. This smells very sophisticated to me and I love the sweetness of the fruit interacting with the incense and myrrh. The rose never comes out for me, but I'm not really complaining about that. The earth scent fades out a bit and I do wish it had stayed because without it I smell the incense a lot more. The boy remarked that I smell like a headshop. :P

OHMIGOD OHMIGOD OHMIGOD!

yeah I am in love....this has the same notes I adore in Freak Show...sans the chocolate coating...good god this is awesome...will sell my soul for a bottle of this....

When I first sniffed this, I was like, yummy coconut wha? However, upon careful sniffing, I could smell the earthiness. Queen of Clubs remains sweetly earthy while the coconuts fades away in the first hour. I think I can pick up some amber, red currant, and vanilla the first few hours. Queen of Clubs just gets earthier with more incense over time. Overall, a nice scent, but...earthy scents really just aren't for me.

Earth notes don't tend to work on me, and as expcted, well...they don't. Something about the combination of eathy, fruit, and my skin turns things slightly off, like overripe fruit; not rotten, but not right. Fantastic in the bottle though. Ah well. It's already been swapped.

This one really broke my heart. It smelled like rich, dark plummy goodness in the bottle, and I completely missed the earth note. As soon as I tried it on my wrist, it turned to spoiling fruit. Not sexy. I would have *loved* this without the earthiness. :P

Edited by GypsyRoseRed

OH NOES! Two discontinued loves in one night! I thought I was safe with this one because of the myrrh, which usually ends up beings nauseatingly sharp-but-sweet on me.

But Queen of Clubs is divine -- wet and in the imp it smells like dark red berries and toasted coconut. Dry on my skin, it's berries and earth and vanilla and a little bit of spiciness that smells like tobacco.

I can't explain how much I love this scent. It's . . . "divine" covers it, I guess.

zombi versus persephone deathmatch!

This starts out rich earthy notes + bright fruits. Over time the fruit notes dissipate and the earth notes just simmer down until they finally disappear. My words cannot do this justice. It's soooo pretty and wonderful. One of my favorites. =)

In the imp: Deep, complex, and fruity.

Wet: A sweet, girly fruit.

Dry: Sweet, fake fruit. Fruit always does this on me.

An hour later: The sweetness has died down a bit, and now it's very nice. Fruity, earthy, and sexy.

On first sniff in the imp, I could smell the fruits and vanilla, with the myrrh faint in the background.

On, I found that the pomegranate jumped to the fore, very strongly at first; then after about 10 minutes, the other notes started coming out, not much, though.

After 45 minutes, the throw starts having other notes to it, and the incense is evident. Not much, but it's very, very nice.

I missed this initially, but that will change. Oh yes, that will change. :P

Queen of Clubs - My very first impression of Queen of Clubs is that it smells like dust and dirt. I’m guessing this is due to the incense in the blend. While it’s drying down, it smells distinctly like dust and dirt with just the tiniest hint of floral. Upon dry-down, it’s distinctly a creamy floral, but the myrrh interrupts the smoothness of the scent and gives it a slight bitter twang. I don’t smell any of the notes it contains that are my favorites – pomegranate, rose, red currant, or amber. They all completely disappear with my skin chemistry, apparently. It stays very close to my skin, but it seems to last for a good couple of hours before starting to fade.

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Dirt and roses.

Preconceived notions: If the dirt notes are anything like those in the King of Clubs, this probably won't work.

In the imp: Rose, vanilla and... earth. Yep, the same earth as in the King. This does not bode well.

On skin, wet: Roses and earth. Something else as well... maybe incense and vanilla? It kind of reminds me of Zombi, but with something else I just can't place.

On skin, dry: Ah, yes, Zombi. Zombi and currant. Very flat, dusty and dirty, and not at all my bag.

Conclusion/Notes: Alas, neither the King or Queen worked for me at all, but, given the "deep, dark earth" notes, it's really not a surprise.

In the Imp: I smell a number of things, though the first thing that hits me is the sweet-tart scent of the pomegranate, then the earth notes follow. My first thought was 'musky', but that must be the incense or amber. I don't catch the floral notes at all.

Initial Wet: The currant instantly appears in full force and goes rancid-sour on me, almost to the point of me wanting to scrub it all off. Underneath the sour, I can definitely catch the hints of the earths and the vanilla and that is very nice.

Initial Dry: The sour currant dies down and now the florals come out strongly. I love the rose and it seems like there must be another floral in there, or perhaps it's the pomegranate sweet coming through. I don't get any myrrh, but the amber is probably overpowering it

Drier Dry: As it seems to do, the currant has diminished to a soft berry-like sweetness. The vanilla is the most prominent scent followed by the amber. The rose seems to have almost vanished at this point. Overall, it's a soft, sweet scent, though not foody or floral sweet. It reminds me of a vanilla-spice incense I used to have.

Another scent I wish would just go from In the Imp to Drier Dry on me. Currant seems to be the initial wet to dry down bane for me. Strangely, I get very little myrrh out of this one (and I am in love with many myrrh scents). I am very sad that this did not work out on me the way I would have liked.

Another one to add my ever growing list of favorites. This is warm milky vanilla almond with an ever so slight peek of roses. GORGEOUS!

Oh, a rose scent where the rose does not amp on my skin and I can actually smell the other components. I can smell that earth note which is always so interesting and different. The myrrh is mingling with the earth and the currant and the rose is rather creamy because of the vanilla. The longer that this is on my skin, the more I can smell the vanilla which I really love. I only wish that this was a bit stronger because I really like it. Oh, well, it was an LE, anyway - too bad because I would have bought a bottle or two.

Nervous about the myrrh and amber, but it smells very good in the bottle. I smell the red currant pretty strongly. Something a little incensey, kind of like potpourri. I think that's the rose, vanilla, and myrrh working together. This would probably be a great cold-weather scent.

Queen of Clubs-

In Bottle: Grapes, wine, and earth. Mmm!

Wet: Earth dominates hugely. But powder-wine scent is there too. Wow, this is hugely complex.

Dry: Wow, when the earth dries down, this is one lovely scent! I often like earth in a lot of these blends, but at first the earth is too strong in this one. Once it dries down, though, this remains complex and lovely. There's wine and sweet powder and it's really nice.

Overall: I like a lot!

WET ON SKIN: ooh, a bit spicy! a bit of incense, rather sharp actually.

DRYING: oh, now the earth is coming out.. it softens considerably, the incense is still there but the rose is coming out. it's quite subtle, my skin kind of eats it but leaves a trail behind -- enough of one that I want to keep the bottle.

DRY: I get pomegranate (yum), myrrh, earth and just a little rose and vanilla.

VERDICT: very beautiful, unusual and elegant. I feel like a slightly-exotic lady, very self-possessed when I'm wearing this. Which is odd, because I'm really not a pentacles girl (swords are more my game). not one I'll wear a whole lot, but maybe it'll be a grounding influence for me.

Queen of Clubs is fruity-sweet without being cloying or candyish. I don't get a lot of dirt (schade!) or rose (yippee!) but the amber contributes to the overall sweetness. I'd also swear there was lotus in here - but there's a good reason I'm not a perfumer.

A very feminine oil, and well worth having.

I received this decant from a very generous colleague...:P

In the decant: Dirt! (Patchouli?) This is very earthy, and I only pick up on the barest hint of the fruits.

Wet: Pomengranate! Currant! The fruit comes out full force, but is balanced by the earth notes. This is very nice.

Drydown and wear: As many others have noted, one of the great things about this blend is that the rose truly just peeks out, allowing you to have a nice whiff, but not overwhelming you. This is just a lovely scent all-around, and I will treasure my decant.