Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
clephan

Kumiho

Nine-tailed fox demon of Korean lore who transforms into the visage of an irresistible beauty in order to seduce men and lead them to their doom. A sharp, biting blend of crisp white tea and ginger.

This smells extremely citrusy on me, like grapefruit or lemon. The sharpness of ginger is vaguely noticeable, but the citrus really outdoes all other notes. It’s very clean, almost soapy. If you like a fresh, simple, lemony scent, I’d recommend this. But the end result is too much like “lemon Pledge” on me.

This was pretty much love at first sniff.. it's in the same family (in my opinion) as Severin and Dorian.. a lovely crisp, tea based scent. It smells exactly like something in my past, but I can't put my finger on it for the life of me and it makes me a bit crazy every time I put this on :lol: I'm not a huge ginger fan (in fact I tend to avoid it even in foods, and would not have picked this for myself), but do NOT be afraid of the ginger here! This is beautiful bright citrus tea. I know it says white tea.. but this is like bergamot on steroids. It's Severin without the leather. It's just gorgeous! :wub2:

In the bottle – Fresh, bright and lemony

Wet on me – To me it still smells pretty lemony, but now I can smell the tea, and also freshly cut grass

Dry on me – Faint lemon

Overall – It’s a nice enough blend, but it doesn’t really excite me

Imp: White tea? Check. Ginger? Double check. Spicy clean.

Wet: No surprise. Just like in the imp

Drydown: Very very sharp. I like the ginger well enough, and there's plenty of sweetness. but it's just not lighting my world on fire.

Overall: I like a nice clean scent with the best of them, but this is just very bitey. It's by no means bad, just a little forgettable.

Oh Kumiho, how I've neglected you... you were one of my first BPAL loves, and yet it's taken me years to get around to declaring it! Crisp & cool & clean & bitter, with a delicately sweet nip of ginger, you are what helps me stay sane on the hottest, muggiest of summer nights. Why haven't I invested in a bottle until now? What took me so long? Never leave me, my lovely demon.... :wub2:

A favourite of mine- a warm, lovely, simple and crisp scent.

Initial Impression: Clean, crisp, tea scent.

Wet: White tea, with subtle hints of ginger. Rather sweet without being cloying.

Dry: A mingling of white tea and ginger. Subtle, bittersweet and fresh.

It's also what I categorise as a "white" scent". Not too spicy (Thankfully, I was actually expecting ginger overload, and I'm not to fond of that) or powdery.

Lasts quite long on me too without being overpowering. It's sharper than Aizen-Myoo and Embalming Fluid (My other favourites) for sure, though. Would get a full-sized bottle once my financial situation allows (Getting a full-size of Embalming Fluid) :P

Wonderful. :wub2:

Today is one of the first really sunny, yet crisp and slightly windy days. The sky looks wiped clean and everything is so bright! When I sniffed my new imps and decants this morning to decide which to wear, I instantly decided for Kumiho. It's fits the weather perfectly and is giving me an extra-spring-time-new-things-kick today.

I'm not sure how often I'd wear a scent this bright and high-pitched, but I do enjoy it immensely today. It's indeed slightly bitter (wonderful), and somehow I had been thinking there was jasmine in here, although it was a weird thought since BPAL jas doesn't work on me at all, and this does.

I'll have to see how much wear I get out of my imp and consider the option of a bottle later.

Kumiho hates me. Lovely and gingery tea in the imp, horribly wrong "basic H" on my skin. It took less than 10 minutes to turn. While it smells clean, it smells of soap... like I forgot to wash after lathering. No good for my warm chemistry. This will go to another home.

Yummy. Extremely reminiscent of Embalming Fluid, but a lot stronger on the citrus and a very noticeable whack of ginger. I think I'm going to switch out EF for this on my bottle wishlist, as I always wished EF was stronger - this is a great summery scent.

This was a frimp from a generous swapper. I'm glad I tried this one because it's not my usual style. Sweet and refreshing , but very faint on my skin. Green tea is always a no-go, but white tea and be don't seem to do so badly.

This is one of those BPAL blends I've been wanting to smell since I started here a bajillion years ago (Okay, so not quite that long...) I should have just thrown this baby into my shopping cart waaay back when because it is AMAZING! This is so bright, crisp, juicy, sweetly tart...everything that's wonderful and refreshing about sweetened zingy ginger and tea. I love this and can see it becoming a summer staple for me.

:wub2:

This would be a perfect scent for a hot day. Very light, crisp and a bit tart. The ginger adds just enough kick to keep this one interesting.

I'll use up the imp and decide wether or not I wear it enough to get a bottle once it's finished off.

Rating (1-5) - 3.8

:(

Another dud for me.

I can see why some people would like this, though.

In the imp it was so BRIGHT and SHARP, like a blinding white light. Not me at all, but I thought I'd give it a go anyhow.

On my skin it smells like washing up liquid. I put this on my wrists and I smell like I've just done the dishes.

Some people love that smell, but not me. I'm sure it retains more of it's original scent on other people anyhow and smells fresh and clean without smelling like dish-soap.

Hopefully I can find this one a loving home, because it's not even something I'd use for the novelty since I can smell like this whenever I want by doing the dishes by hand.

Oh my. I just fell in LOVE with this scent. It was so lovely.

In the bottle: It smells very sharp and tangy. Smells very citrusy.

On my skin: It was just a lovely scent. On my skin, it was a toned-down citrus and I could smell a whiff of ginger. It smelled very clean and fresh - like a windy, cool summer morning.

Unfortunately, the scent didn't last long enough. It disappeared in a matter of hours... But I guess reapplying it would be worth it because it smells beautiful!

This does exactly what it says on the tin: tea and ginger! During the first half hour I find it a bit sharp, but then it transforms and softens and I feel like I have a cloud surrounding me, and it's very seductive and insinuating... It has a good throw in the beginning, but when it gets to my favourite part it wears quite close to the skin, but I think that plays to the sensual aspect of it. As they say: it whispers so you have to lean in closer. ;)

Mmm, this is a very fresh spring-like blend. It kind of reminds me of Embalming Fluid, but without the lemon. At first, I thought that this blend had lemon, it's so fresh and light, but I peeked at the notes. Maybe my brain is broken and the EF association just made me think there was lemon in here. Then again, I could really swear it was there...At any rate, this is a lovely fresh, cooling oil. OK, I'm going to say it, lemonny with a touch of tea and ginger. I'll enjoy the imp, but it's too much like EF to warrant a bottle. Would be great in an oil burner.

In the bottle it's a gingery floral smell. On my skin it's a gentle ginger with just a bit of spice and crispness to it, but the flower smell mostly fades. I'm quite fond of it, though one of my coworkers noticed it and was wondering what "that flowery perfume-y smell" was and indicated it wasn't that great of a scent, so I'm not sure if it's really right for me.

A *really* delicious tea-and-ginger smell. I wish so much that it lasted more than a few minutes on me! *cry*

Imp: oooo pretty.

Wet on me: prettier! Ginger and Tea and pretty on me!

Drying Down: Prettiest! still such a delicate gorgeous blend of the white tea and ginger. WOW!

Dry: Prettiestestesteses I am seriously swooning over this. I feel feminine and girlie but strong at the same time. This dances under my nose. And it has been dancing beautifully for a few hours now. This makes me want to dance at dusk with the faeries! Totally bottle worthy!

This is extremely gorgeous. It's it's in the scent family of Sudha Sigara, Shanghai, and Embalming Fluid, but ultimately crisper, whiter, clearer, than any of them. Love.

Dainty smelling ginger....a gentle ginger with a kiss of lemon....but sadly, I amp lemon and this goes all cleaning fluid-ish on me. Poopie. Back to the ginger drawing board.....

This is very different to the nine-tails Kitsune-Tsuki perfume, though from the description of Kumiho, they are the same mythological beast. This is a sharp, pungent, ginger scent in the vial. On my skin it becomes very soft, with a touch of ginger, that is just a little bit sweet. It fades very quickly to an ever so faint, sweet breath of nothing.

I originally bought an imp of Kumiho to try to see if I could find a longer-wearing replacement for Baobhan Sith. That ended up being a bit of a fail, hehe. They both had very similar notes, but Kumiho faded on me within an hour, which was too bad since it smelled great.

In the imp, Kumiho smells fresh and oddly floral, a very soft, white scent. Going on, though, you can smell the ginger popping through, giving it a bit of a bite. After a few minutes the ginger fades and you're left with a soft, light tea scent that smells delicious.

Unfortunately, there's no throw and it wears away too quickly. I might have to buy a huge bottle of this and drench myself, or find a way to make the scent last longer.

One aspect of this scent that I love is that on my skin it smells exactly the way it's described; white tea and ginger. Don't get me wrong, I love the way all of these BPAL oils morph on my skin; it's very unpredictable, and you don't know what you'll end up with. But it's also nice to occasionally reach for one that does what it says it will do :D

Got Kumiho per a recommendation from my love of Baobhan Sith. This scent is very clean and soft/fresh, but I miss the juicy grapefruit, the roundness of scent.

I'm layering this with Aizen-Myoo to give it dimension on my skin.

Nothing offensive about the scents at all.

This is my holy grail scent. I love it and it's what made me order from BPAL in the first place.

In the bottle, wet, and dry it smells the same -- a very sharp white tea with ginger and lemon. It's biting, crisp, clean, and perfect for work or conservative type situations. I find that any major throw lasts only about thirty minutes and then it stays very close to my skin after that. I have no problems with this as I tend to be very light handed when applying fragrance (as in one to two drops, tops), so if you prefer a stronger throw, you'll have to reapply. It's great during warmer weather but I find that it works as a great pick me up anytime of the year.