Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Silvertree

Shub-Niggurath

The lust incense of a corrupted Astarte. A blend of ritual herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices.

In the imp, it's all ginger...and I love ginger, so I'm happy!

Wet on me...the ginger is still there, along with lemon and herbs - very fresh smelling. I'm enjoying this one.

Dry down...gingersnaps!But with some seriously dark notes in there too. Yummy! I'm hungry now. Think this is going to be a big bottle one!

In The Bottle

Spicey and gingery. Smells like gingernuts in the imp

On Application

Buttery ginger. Not fresh ginger but dried ginger powder. Yum

Dry Down

The buttery note dies back about 10 minutes into the drydown to leave an awesome ginger cookie scent. I've been slathered in Pickled Imp today which is all cinnamon cookie so it's nice to smell the difference. This doesn't have the vanilla in it so it dries down to a dry dusty ginger. Really awesome. :P

Rating (0-5)

I'm a fan of all the notes in this scent and am excited to try it! Sniffing the bottle a hideously thick cookie batter smells goes up my nose. There'snothing foody in it, maybe the ginger is the problem? Not too sure I want to put this on myself but I'll give it a try anyway.

Once on the cookies get up my nose wherever I put my arm! I can smell the ginger in the form of ginger beer, yummy but not with the cookies. as others have said it smells of buttery ginger snaps. I love eating these but am not too keen on smelling like them.

I'm not letting this dry as I want to wash it off. it's giving me a headache and it's just too buttery/sugary/gingery. shame.

EDIT: washing with soap and water and I can still smell it, must be long lasting haha!

Edited by puddingirl

a frimp....not something i would have tried by description.

smells interestring and spicy in the imp, soooo, i try it...

and i smell just like freshly baked cinnamon rolls! and really good homemade ones too. hahahaha! i find this really funny, for some reason. it smells warm, it smells delectably spicy, sweet, but not overly so, and with something -musky?- desparately trying to be heards under the clamor of spice. spices, i amp them, but this is not at all overpowering.

i have it on for a good while before i even check the lab description or reviews...ginger huh? i still get cinnamon. but now i can guess that the herbs and resins were the underlying scents that never made it quite to the fore, no even after the spices fade somewhat. i guess they just got tired of trying.

while it is a beautiful scent and exceptionally well blended, it won't be one i try again, as i like to smell like whores, harems, & magic, not baked goods. ;-)

Edited by butcherbaby

In Bottle - This is very much a spicy ginger, and the actual color of the oil is beautiful. A very peachy-amber sort of shade that definitely matches the fragrance.

Wet on Skin, First Applied - Suddenly, butter joins the fray. A buttery, but still spicy ginger, with some cinnamon and various cooking spice scents. Still lovely!

Dry, on Skin - We've arrived at dark and foreboding gingersnaps, and I couldn't be more pleased! It strikes just the perfect balance between foody (in a more 'gourmand' way, not just piles of vaguely sugared butter, like some other foody fragrances end up being on me) and a spicier resin background. On me, I doubt anyone's going to mistake this for the smell of baking. Maybe the scent that lingers a few hours after baking, if the cookies are left to cool in the open air, but even then there is something that lingers in the background that keeps it from being a plate of gingerbread men. I love it! I'd recommend it to anybody who enjoys bakery/sweet fragrances, but doesn't necessarily want everyone nearby to start expecting cookies to soon follow when they enter the room. The spices and the darker, resinous background keeps it smelling like a delicious perfume, and not just something delicious to eat.

To me, this is a spicier, more cinnamon/cassia version of Gingerbread Poppet, which is a good thing, like a bolder, sexier cousin. It is not as foody, however, with more of a "kick", and kind of reminds me of Saw Scaled Viper, as well. I really get the ginger here, and I'm betting this only gets better with age.

On me, this becomes a lovely spicey amber. But my disapointment that this did not stay ginger snaps, like it was in the bottle and on me for 15 minutes or so, will never go away. Never. Ever. I love Lovecraft but the thought of smelling of "satanic ginger snaps" got me to buy a 5ml of this unsniffed. I kept slathering on more every 30 min.s or so to keep smelling like ginger snaps. After a week and a half or so of being nearly saturated in this stuff, totally fed up I decided to use it as a room scent and I also poured some in the bottom of the garbage cans in my house.

And OMG, our garbage cans always smell heavenly when they get emptied. The amber is aging so well, I am kicking myself for not saving that bottle to age it some first before giving up on it. With age, this is a gorgeous rich spiced amber. I will invest on a bottle to age sooner or later.

This was a lab frimp.

In the imp and wet: gingersnaps with, um, clove and nutmeg, I think. Maybe a little pepper.

Drydown: wow. Satanic gingersnaps.

This stays buttery and foody on me.

If you like this try: Gingerbread Poppet, Pickled Imp, MVJBA (more of a stretch).

Once this dries on me, it's the most delicious gingersnaps ever with an extra hit of ginger. Very nice.

The long-term wear, though, makes it ever-darker and after about three hours it's definitely got more of the corrupted incense I was anticipating when I read the description. It's dark, malevolent, and almost burnt with just a little bit of sweet left. You can't bury your nose in it anymore.

Very cool. I don't know if I NEED a bottle, but I'm very curious to see how my imp ages.

Something nice is baking. Gingerbread? Nice spices, maybe nutmeg. Wow, does this ever throw! I barely notice what's on the other wrist.

Nom nom spicy gingersnaps! There's also a hint of something rounder, almost like oatmeal cookies tossed in the batch. And pepper. I think I have a new fall/winter scent!

Spicy, warm, foody lemon ginger, just perfect. Even better than my loved Saw Scaled viper, I can`t wait to layer them and see this mega ginger boost! And the color of the oil is lovely, which is a plus.

Oh, Shub, Shub, Shub... if I'd known you were going to be this good, I'd have ordered a bottle ages ago.

Got this as a frimp from Maidenhell - thank you very much.

Goes on like gingerbread, then gradually gets darker and hotter and nastier in all the best kinds of ways. Sexy gingerbread indeed. I'm going to have to get a bottle of this for sure. Umf. :P

This is an unbelievably epic scent. :D I LOVES IT. As in contender (with Mme. Moriarty) for absolute favorite Bpal ever. When I first got it, I liked it more in the imp than I liked it on me because it was this gorgeous, rich, spicy gingersnap scent in the bottle and when it hit my skin any hint of sweetness or foodiness disappeared and it turned into pure spice. (Which was nice, but not great.) Then it aged for a couple of weeks and blended a little better and hoooooo yessssss. It's so delicious. It hovers on the border between foody and not foody. (Not that it stops me wanting to go all zombie on my arm.) What else can I say? If you like ginger and you like evil goat deities, then try some!!! :P

mmmm....the perfect non-foody foody scent. :D

This is just delicious spicy sexiness. It says "Come closer, you know you want a taste". :P

This is easily one of my favorite scents. :D

Evil gingerbread, that's just :P.

After two hours on my skin only the lingering scent of gingerbread remains, no evilness whatsoever. Veeeery foody and makes me long for the upcoming Christmas markets with their stalls bursting with sugar-coated nuts, chocolate-fruits and warm mugs of spiced berry wine. A lovely scent and with serious staying power too: I applied a teensy drop to my wrist yesterday evening and still get faint wisps 24hrs (and one shower) later. Perfect for the season too - I will wear this one a lot, I'm sure!

I totally agree with the satanic gingersnaps comments. This is ginger, but not in the warm-cookies-from-the-oven-that-Nana-spent-all-day-baking kind of way. This is the hi-you-met-me-in-Vixen-and-now-I'm-all-grown-up-let-me-show-you-what-I-learned-while-I-was-away kind of ginger. This is a "Please ravage me" scent. This is a "Thanks for picking me up, but now that you're here, you didn't REALLY want to leave my apartment" scent. This is a "Don't make plans for the next 24 hours" scent. Ginger and spices and all manner of things dirty and naughty. Delicious.

As everyone else has said... ginger, a hint of lemon, a touch of cinnamon... it smells truly delicious. If this was the smell of cookies baking, my mouth would be watering. However, it's me that smells like baked goods... the scent itself is divine but it's not the way I want to smell. Foody scents just aren't me.

This would make a great house scent! It makes me think of a Mitch Hedberg quote: “I like cinnamon rolls; that's why I wish they would sell cinnamon roll incense, 'cause I don't always have time to make a pan. I'd rather light a stick and have my roommates wake up with false hopes.” Making your house smell like Shub would definitely taunt your housemates. :P

In sum: It's the yummiest foody BPAL I've ever smelled, but alas its too foody for me. I'm giving it to a Lovecraft-loving friend instead.

Lots of the lemony citrus that overwhelmed Nyarlathotep for me. Here it works really well and dies down when it's completely overwhelmed by a rich, dark Snake-oil-sexy smell that is incredible!! This is a top ten for me :P Lasts and lasts too with great throw!

imp: wow. gingery incense.

wet: no wonder everybody loves this scent. it's like iced gingersnap incense. i will need a bottle of this.

dry: this never seems to fade. lovely spicy, peppery ginger goodness.

I got a decant of Shub from a swap. I know there's been discussions comparing the original Shub with the newer/resurrected one. I don't detect any lemon in this, so it must be an older/aged decant. That being said, it's divine... spicy, gingery, a little peppery. It makes me feel like a dangerous broad. Also, it smells like how I WANTED Gingerbread Poppet to smell (more spicy, intense, less, um, frosted).

I just placed a big lab order three days ago, and now I wish I had waited so I could get a bottle of this. Yeah, I don't think I can wait. I'm ordering this tonight.

Of all the BPAL scents I've tried this is the one that changes LEAST from imp to dry on the skin. Gingersnaps, delicious and warm, from start to finish many hours later. Not much else to say: I don't really get any other resins or herbs, just spicy ginger cookies. Not that I'm really complaining: I love ginger. This scent reminds me of curling up under a blanket with a mug of hot tea and fresh ginger things. I put some Shub my neck and that I could smell it wafting up throughout the day. Very foody, very spicy. It's a great scent to have around during the dead of winter and around the holidays. I'll hold on to my imp for sure, but it's too foody for me to wear on a daily basis.

EDIT: I've worn this a few times since my initial review and I've found that Shub is particularly susceptible to changes in my skin chemistry throughout the month. Sometimes it's gingersnaps, sometimes it's dry spices and ginger, with a prominent, dark resinous note that really ties it all together. Mmmm.

Edited by tajana

I have a huge weakness for ginger in both savory foods and baking sooo....

this is totally a favorite.

Smells like the most heavenly spicy gingerbread or gingerbread cookies, not too sweet (yes), with an undercurrent of... darkness. D: The resin reminds me of Schwarzer Mond (08), a little. WHICH IS A VERY GOOD THING.

I find most foody blends hard to wear, but I have no trouble with this one! ;D

By the time I became a BPAL addict, Shub was no longer available for purchase and it was THE scent on everyone's lips. I got a chance to try it and fell in love.

Then it became a GC scent and I purchased a bottle from a forumite who was disgusted at the lemon presence. But Sarada assured me the lemon would fade and I trusted her.

Then I let it age. For about two years.

I put it on last night and, no surprise, Sarada was right. No lemon. Just the most rich, loamy gingerbread scent imaginable. No sweetness, like Gingerbread Poppet. It's like a Gingerbread Forest.

I went under the covers and just inhaled my wrists and was able to be surrounded by the Gingerbread Forest. I was and am totally captivated.

Aged Shub= Enchanted, Addictive Gingerbread Forest. No sweetness. Gingerbread for Adults.

Edited by tarotgirl

I've only worn this a couple of times since I bought a bottle at Bat's Day. Today it smelled weird on me; faintly nutty. After reading some of the other reviews, I realize the ginger might not be working with my skin chemistry.

Edited by Orla