Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Pronouncing "BPAL" and scent names!

Is "Mi-Go" pronounced "Mee-Go" or "My-Go"? Anyone know?

(FYI-I have always pronounced BPAL as BEE-pal, looks like that is the common pronounciation).

I thought it was Mee-Go when I first looked at it.

(I do Bee-pal too.)

Agree on the Mee-Go, but I always spell B-P-A-L out, yet my bf does the Bee-pal. How is it that he got it right when he cringes every time I let out a "SQUEE!!!" because he knows it just cost him a big chunk of change? :P

hmmm i say my-go :P like in my brain goes in a cannister

i say bee-pal also

Edited by shelldoo

I'm strange... in my head I pronounce it that way, but if I am talking to someone about it, they are either "Black Phoenix" or "the lab". I don't call it BPAL out loud.

See... I told you I'm strange. :P

I'm strange... in my head I pronounce it that way, but if I am talking to someone about it, they are either "Black Phoenix" or "the lab". I don't call it BPAL out loud.

I hadn't really thought about it before, but that's what I do too. Weird.

I'm having trouble with Nuit. The French word for night is spelled the same and pronounced noo-wee, and the alternate spelling for the Egyptian goddess, with which I am more familiar, is Nut and pronounced Noot. I keep trying to pronounce the oil Noo-it, but then I feel like I'm speaking bad French. Then I pronounce it Noo-wee in my head and I feel like I'm dishonoring the Goddess. It scrambles my brain and makes me want to take a Sharpy to my 5 ml so I can have the spelling I'm used to! :P

I'm your strange sister, then. The few times I've talked with someone who knows what I'm talking about, it's "the lab"; in my head it's "BEE-paul." I feel silly saying "the lab" to people who aren't into it, though, so I usually just avoid it unless I get a compliment. My boyfriend just says "those scents" and leaves it at that.

I've heard one person at an Egyptian lecture on mythology pronounce it 'New-it'. I've heard that's an occult spelling for Nut. I prefer it because it sounds less like a kind of food (no offence to the great sky goddess!!!) and is spelt the same way as the French word Nuit, which my mum calls it with the French pronounciation (she's French).

It's not the only time BPAL have favoured a more occult/arcane spelling of an Egyptian deity's name for their oils, there's also Ahathoor...an alternative spelling for Hathor, which I have never seen used anywhere else.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I think "B-P-A-L" - I "pronounce" all the letters in my head. I've never said it out loud, but I would undoubtedly say "Black Phoenix." I usually just say "the little goth company where I get hand-blended perfume oils" and leave it at that.

Moving on - how does one pronounce Dunwich? Is it "Dun-witch"? Or is it "Dun-itch" (like Greenwich)? Or is it something else altogether?

also - I don't think this one has been covered - what about 'Brisingamen'? I keep saying it (in my head) as "b-rising-amen", which I'm fairly sure can't be right.

also - I don't think this one has been covered - what about 'Brisingamen'? I keep saying it (in my head) as "b-rising-amen", which I'm fairly sure can't be right.

I always pronounce it as "Bree-SING-ahmun" in my own head...

I'm sort of similar - I've been mentally pronouncing it "Brih-sin-GAH-mun."

Anyone know how to correctly pronounce "Goneril"? I've been saying it as "GON-eril" (short o), unless it's "GON-eril" (long o).

It's not the long, complicated names that tie me up, but the short ones. Except Tzadikim Nistarim, but that a whole different ball of wax.

I'm sort of similar - I've been mentally pronouncing it "Brih-sin-GAH-mun."

that is how i say it also :D

Goneril i say gon (short o) uh reel

it reminds me of gonnoreah which isn't good, but probably where i pronounce it from :P

the other that gives me weird vibes is maasbakes, i always think masterbates, i dunno why my brain does phsyco things like that

I say "BPAL" (pronounced bee-pal) if I'm amongst fellow addicts, but call it "Black Phoenix" if I'm talking to someone who's not been exposed to the wonderment yet. :P

I also tend to use "BPAL" when discussing the product, and "The Lab" when discussing the people who create it, or the physical entity.

---

As for pronunciations, I usually have no clue (though I knew Oisin instantly, because that was my landlord's son's name when I lived in Galway - I spent a lot of time yelling that name, as he still had keys to the house we were staying in, and forgot that he didn't live there anymore every time he had too much to drink).

I've been pronouncing Nuit as "nweet." I pronounced Brinsingamen as "bri-SING-uh-mun" until recently, when a friend who's much better versed in Norse mythology said it was more like "bris-ing-YAH-mun" - but I really have no clue how accurate that is.

How do you pronounce these names:

Oisin (I say it Oy-zin...rhymes with raisin...though I'm pretty sure that's not how it's pronounced!)

Oisin is pronounced oh-SHEEN.  It's Gaelic.

:D

I made Mr. Gin try some Oisin the other day, and then he teased me when I mumbled the name (something between Poison and Joaquin). :D

I don't call it BPAL out loud, either. Except maybe once to another (BPAL) addict. To others, it's always Black Phoenix. :P

I am pretty sure it is LA nawn shee

leanan sidhe or however the lab spells it, but

what about Hetairae

hi-TAR-ee?