Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Pronouncing "BPAL" and scent names!

My dear husband, who is clueless on some things calls it b-paul or "the perfume thingy" . I say b-pal or black phoenix but mostly I refer to it as "The Preciousss".

I still say Bee-Pal and refer to it as The Lab online. I don't know why, but I feel weird saying Bee-Pal even though it's the only thing I really refer to The Lab as when I'm actually talking about it...it just sounds awkward to me and I have no idea why. I'm finding myself referring to just Beth half the time just because it's easier. :P

My husband keeps insisting that Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab sounds like a goth-industrial band name (and has asked me jokingly when they're going to tour).

Hahaha :P

I used to pronounce it B-P-A-L and then I saw this thread a while back, and Bee-Pal sounded catchier so I switched without meaning to. Bee-Pal it is in my head and to others who are addicted. It's "Black Phoenix" to the people who at least know what I'm talking about and "that perfume oil place" to people who don't.

I get corrected ALOT because I pronounce it how it is spelled. Then again I have a habit of pronouncing alot of words how they are spelled. :P I feel weird using an accent I don't normally use and especially if I'm not in(or from) the country where it originated from.

I get corrected ALOT because I pronounce it how it is spelled. Then again I have a habit of pronouncing alot of words how they are spelled.  :D  I feel weird using an accent I don't normally use and especially if I'm not in(or from) the country where it originated from.

i think that's the same with "siobahn." i have always heard pronounced "shah-vahn." but what do i know :P

Not sure what you're referring to here, but if it's Chypre, the correct pronunciation is Shee-pra. Not Ky-per. Not Ky-pruh.

I'm of the mind to combine the two, maybe? ky-pruh?  Or maybe Ky-purr?

i've heard it pronounced "KY-per", like hyper.

Edited by VelvetSky

Laura and I have a bad habit of just renaming scents that we - well, actually mostly I - don't know how to pronounce. I found golden priapus a bit of a mouthful, (no pun intended) so between us it's referred to, the base peasants that we are, as "golden cock." Also, Chiroptera is always referred to as 'chiropractor.' I'm not sure why...

Golden Priapus is also frequently just "g.p" as it's easier.

I imagine the lab is reading this, and hating me! All the effort they go into aking beautiful names, only for them to be referred to in such crass manners!

Laura and I have a bad habit of just renaming scents that we - well, actually mostly I - don't know how to pronounce. I found golden priapus a bit of a mouthful, (no pun intended) so between us it's referred to, the base peasants that we are, as "golden cock."  Also, Chiroptera is always referred to as 'chiropractor.' I'm not sure why...

Golden Priapus is also frequently just "g.p" as it's easier.

I imagine the lab is reading this, and hating me! All the effort they go into making beautiful names, only for them to be referred to in such crass manners!

My mum laughed when she overheard me telling you on the phone: 'I'm wearing Golden Cock to the pub!' :D

I have a feeling that I'm really going to like Xiuchtecuhtli when it arrives- but I won't be able to tell people what I'm wearing! I can't even spell it- I just cut n'pasted that. When I try to write it, it ends up something like this: Xuihtechluchtlihecuhtliechuli. :P :D

Edited by Pookstrell

here's how you pronounce xiuhtecuhtli, pookie:

she wa te KWA tle !

i think it's rather fun to pronounce. the other day, i was talking to my grandpa about having ordered this scent, and i wound up pronouncing it, "she-tech-uhhhh.. i don't remember how to say it," and he managed to pronounce it PERFECTLY! i just looked at him, blinked, and said, "wow, you're good."

here's how you pronounce xiuhtecuhtli, pookie:

she wa te KWA tle !

i think it's rather fun to pronounce. the other day, i was talking to my grandpa about having ordered this scent, and i wound up pronouncing it, "she-tech-uhhhh.. i don't remember how to say it," and he managed to pronounce it PERFECTLY! i just looked at him, blinked, and said, "wow, you're good."

I'm sure pirate be will be able to pronounce that, (anglo japanese boy)

But I'm going to refer to it as She-Ra. That's a heads up for you Laura!!!

And I gave my mom some Hamadryad and she calls it "the hammy nymph things." :P

:D

Too funny! The only one's I've given my mom have been easy to pronounce: Formula 54 and Old London.

Knowing her, she'd have a horrible time with anything even remotely unfamiliar. When she was little, she saw a doll in a catalogue with "real humm-in hair". We still make fun of her about that one. :D

I use 'the lab' too for most mental correspondence

Also Saint-germain is 'the saint'

and fennris wolf, is 'wolf'

belladonna, is, always, the green lady.

here ends the shorthand lesson ;)

Some things I've thought of, but am not sure about (I love this post - I've forgotten how much I love this post!)

Note on the way I'm using the letter "a"

a = ah - not like in "can" but like "father"

kh = loch, Bach...

Lampades - lam - PA - days, sort of like lam - Padres, without th "r".

And then for some with my Slavic, Czech-learning bias:

Tenochtitlan = ten- okh - TEET - lan

Centzon Totochtin = sen - tson - to - TOKH - teen , with the "ts" being the same as the sound in pizza.

And I admit, I've been pronouncing Nyarlathotep wrong:

Nyar comes out as a Spanish n tilda followed by ar - like in yard without the "i" in "in" - the rest is fine though. I don't think I'm going to change in order to pronounce it correctly, because I hate the "eye" sound, and really like the n tilda sound.

For some reason, I've been pronouncing Ulalume as yoo - LA - loo - may, but considering the rhyming reasons Shollin brought up, I think I'll start pronouncing it according to French phonetic rules, which is basically oo - la - LOOM, but the oo isn't really exactly that. I can't describe the French "u" in writing - you have to experience it.

I should note that I automatically pronounce things out very precisely (though Xiuhtecuhtli was hard until I found this post!), if not correctly, which means I usually do get the spellings right.

Oh, and while I do say Bee-Pal with Brian (since he's on here too) to everyone else it is the Alchemy Lab. Or, for the total newb, "well, all my perfume comes from this one woman in California who is an alchemist..." :P

Nocnitsa anyone? I can't find it anywhere. :D

Sorry if it's already been covered here, but I didn't see it and I'm too tired for a more exhaustive search. :P

Another pronunciation question:

Do you guys say HAZ No Hanna or HASS No Hanna? I've never been able to decide how it's supposed to be pronounced. I'm guesssing the first one, but since there's no real context to take it in I keep wondering.

ETA: I mean HAZ as in "She has a big butt" and HASS as in "Hasselhoff" in case that wasn't clear. :P

Edited by Penance

Phew... hopefully now I'll be able to pronounce all the wonderful things I've ordered, once they arrive!

I study Scots Gaelic, so that's one domain I'm okay with... although the Lab seems to use more Irish-type spelling for scent names. I had to double-check "Leanan Sidhe" about ten times, because I was wanting to spell it "Leannan" as it would be in Scots Gaelic. :P