Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Pronouncing "BPAL" and scent names!

One of the Hebrew speakers would be wiser, but I will do my best on Qliphoth:

Q is, I believe, a pharyngeal, but if you are a native speaker of English, pharyngeals will probably be hard (they are at the very back, deep in the throat, near the pharynx) So I think if you pronounce the Q as a 'k', no one would be yelling at you. The Hebrew letter given in the review thread have q corresponding to the letter known as 'kuf' - the one that looks like the logo for Mac OS 10 PowerPoint. In all my years of Hebrew study (and I took first grade completely in Hebrew), I have never been able to hear the difference between that and a k.

I could not find a Hebrew spelling of Qliphoth in the Review threads, so I would guess that the 'ph' could be either a 'f' (as in 'telephone') or an aspirated 'p' - the 'p' at the beginnings of words like 'pot' (hold your hand against your lips and say 'pot' and then 'spot'; you will feel a breath of air on 'pot' because that 'p' is 'aspirated' while the 'p' in 'spot' is not).

As for the 'oth' bit - that is the Hebrew feminine plural marker, unless I am mistaken (one Qlipha, two Qliphoth? I know phonetics, not Kabbalah, and if I am wrong here, someone who knows better please point this out), and in modern Hebrew, it usually shounds pretty much like 'ot' - like in 'not', not 'moth'. Now Hebrew pronunciation, like that of every other language, changes with time and dialect.

But in summary, I think that if you say "My next order includes some Klee-fot," you would not have murderous spirits chasing after you for murdering their names - I hope.

As for the individual Qliphoth - I would treat all the 'a's like 'father', all the 'e's like 'bet', all the 'i's like 'ee', and the 'iel' endings just like in the name 'Daniel' ('iel' means 'of God'), and q like k, since, as we said before, passing for a fluent Ancient Hebrew speaker is beyond the scope of this forum.*

What puzzles me is the difference between 'gh' and 'g' in the names: they are both gimmel, so there must be a difference that escapes me, but 'gh' seems to occur word-initially, and 'g' everywhere else, so I would guess they are allophones (sound different, but are actually the same sound in different contexts) and I personally would pronounce them both 'g' in 'get'.

Since I am a linguist, not a Kabbalist, I may be wrong, but on the other hand, if I mispronounce the names of evil powers, it may not attract their attention.

So I would stop my aid there, Galen. Hope it helped some, and wiser people can take it up where I left off.

*Sorry for the tone of that - proofreading too many syntax papers today, and their language creeps into mine :-).

thanks, indicolite! :P

Qleefot it is.

As for the individual Qliphoth - I would treat all the 'a's like 'father', all the 'e's like 'bet', all the 'i's like 'ee', and the 'iel' endings just like in the name 'Daniel' ('iel' means 'of God'), and q like k

thanks! that's really useful - I find that the vowels are always the hardest thing to get right in another language...

passing for a fluent Ancient Hebrew speaker is beyond the scope of this forum.*

true. :D As an Arabic speaker, I can tell the difference between what you're describing as k and q and I can fully appreciate why it's so difficult to describe the difference in sounds... Funnily enough, in Arabic the letters would be Qaf (pronounced almost Qof) and Kaf (pronounced almost Kef).

What puzzles me is the difference between 'gh' and 'g' in the names: they are both gimmel, so there must be a difference that escapes me, but 'gh' seems to occur word-initially, and 'g' everywhere else, so I would guess they are allophones (sound different, but are actually the same sound in different contexts) and I personally would pronounce them both 'g' in 'get'.

Interesting. In Arabic transliteration 'gh' tends to signify a more guttural resonant letter that doesn't sound much like g at all pronounced ghain- although I don't know whether this is a shared letter between the two alphabets, they are very close on many letters...

Apologies if I've come over all geeky in return...

Is Lampades supposed to sound fancy? Or is it like lamps + lemonade = lampades?

Wouldn't it be lamp-ADS in English?

As in the various other nymph types: dryad, naiad, maenad, etc - dry-AD, n-eye-AD, may-n-AD?

Wikipedia says Λαμπαδησ ... but I don't speak Greek.

I can't find an online pronunciation for Lampades, though!

Is Lampades supposed to sound fancy? Or is it like lamps + lemonade = lampades?

Wouldn't it be lamp-ADS in English?

As in the various other nymph types: dryad, naiad, maenad, etc - dry-AD, n-eye-AD, may-n-AD?

Wikipedia says Λαμπαδησ ... but I don't speak Greek.

I can't find an online pronunciation for Lampades, though!

well, based on that Greek it should be lamb-PAD-ays (long a in the last syll. only, in other words.)

How is 'Sudha Segara' pronounced?

the dh I make with my tongue at the back of my teeth, but unlike a th that involves the tiop of my tongue, this I use the flat of my tongue, if that makes sense. su(th with flat of tongue)-ah SE-gar-ah (all short As)

On Samhain:

I've seen it spelled 'Samhuinn' in Scotland; not sure how to pronounce that, though. It's usually pronounced 'sow-in' or 'sow-en' in Irish. A good percentage of the neo-pagan people in NJ pronounce it 'Sam-hain', however, which makes my right eye twitch occasionally. :P

'sow-in' (in Ireland)

'sow-een' (in Wales)

'sav-en' (in Scotland)

So pronounciation will depend on the area.

Sam Hane. Sounds like a car salesman. :D

well, based on that Greek it should be lamb-PAD-ays (long a in the last syll. only, in other words.)

Thanks for that!

PS - Do you know how the other nymph types are meant to be pronounced?

Thanks for that!

PS - Do you know how the other nymph types are meant to be pronounced?

I knew thsoe semesters of ancient Greek would come in handy. :P

I'll need to look up the greek to be 100% positive on a couple, but I think I know these all well enough to spout off:

THE MUSES

CALLIOPE cah-LI-o-pee (long I, long last E)

CLIO cl-I-oh (sometimes I have heard this also as cl-EE-oh) (long I, long O)

ERATO air-AH-tow (long O)

EUTERPE you-TER-pee (long U sound, long last E)

MELPOMENE mel-pah-men-ee (long last E)

POLYHYMNIA polly-HIM-nyah

TERPSICHORE terp-SIH-cor-ee (long last E)

THALEIA thah-LAY-ah

URANIA you-RAY-nya (long A)

::|:| - - - - - || - - - - - |:|::

THE GRATIÆ GRAY-tee-eye (long A)

EUPHROSYNE you-FRAH-sin-ee (long U sound)

THALIA THA-lee-ah

AGLAEA ag-LIE-ah

::|:| - - - - - || - - - - - |:|::

THE KINDLY ONES

ALECTO ah-LEC-tow

MEGAERA meg-EYE-rah

TISIPHONE tih-SIH-fon-ee (long last E)

So after reading this thread, would it be accurate to say 'samhain' is pronounced just like the word 'sound' but with a silent 'd' on the end? Or does there need to be more of a break in there, making it 2 syllables?

Darbla

The 'ou' of sound is the right vowel. In my experience, people usually pronounce it as two syllables, 'sow' like a female pig, and 'when'.

Ok, all laughing aside, how do you pronounce "Aeval"?

In my head I hear (say) "Ay-vull" but I doubt this is correct. The only thing I have found online has been variations of it: Aebhel and Aibell. So is the "V" a "B" sound? Sorta like Abel? *cornfused*

So how in the world is it pronouced??

I know that 'bh' is pronounced like a 'v' in Celtic names, so I'm fairly certain it's a 'v' sound. Beyond that, I don't know.

Ae would probably be more like the Italian e or i, in my experience, although I very well could be wrong.

So after reading this thread, would it be accurate to say 'samhain' is pronounced just like the word 'sound' but with a silent 'd' on the end? Or does there need to be more of a break in there, making it 2 syllables?

Darbla

It'll vary a little depending on whether you're talking to a native welsh speaker, irish gaelic, or scots gaelic..but sow-en or sow-een are both possibilities.

Ae would probably be more like the Italian e or i, in my experience, although I very well could be wrong.

Eek I don't know how an Italian e or i is pronounced LOL

I know that 'bh' is pronounced like a 'v' in Celtic names, so I'm fairly certain it's a 'v' sound. Beyond that, I don't know.

Thank you!!

an Italian 'e' is sort of like 'ay' as in 'May', without closing all the way to the ee sound. Italian 'i' is just ee.

an Italian 'e' is sort of like 'ay' as in 'May', without closing all the way to the ee sound. Italian 'i' is just ee.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up!

Now I'm wondering if the "val" part of aeval is pronounced "vull" or like it's spelled, pronounced like it would be short for Valerie. And then, what if it's pronouced similar to Evil LOL maybe that's fitting.

ETA: ok, so "ae" is like "ae" in Gaelic, so it is "ay" in a sense...

should I be following this site:

http://www.contemporarypoetry.com/brain/lang/irish1.html

or is it:

http://www.mythome.org/celticnames.html

they both say different things..

Edited by Midnight Aeval

Also, when you look up Gaelic pronounciations, do remember that Scots Gaelic and Irish Gaelic are pronounced slightly differently.

Hello I have a few too, they might have been sorted already but this thread is rather long...

Nyarlothotep

Centzon Totochtin

Tushnamatay

?????????

Edited by ouch!

ooh hold on a min, i'm still a bit lost.....

How does this work? I still can't find them.

Sorry to be a pain!

Well, if you click on the links I posted, it should take you right to the post in which the correct pronounciation is written.

I'll still copy-paste for you. :P

Nyarlathotep: ny-ar- (like the english 'are') LA (do-re-mi-la)-thuh-tep.

Centzon Totochtin: sen - tson - to - TOKH - teen , with the "ts" being the same as the sound in pizza.

Tushnamatay: tush - na - mah - Tay

Well, if you click on the links I posted, it should take you right to the post in which the correct pronounciation is written.

I'll still copy-paste for you. :P

Nyarlathotep: ny-ar- (like the english 'are') LA (do-re-mi-la)-thuh-tep.

Centzon Totochtin: sen - tson - to - TOKH - teen , with the "ts" being the same as the sound in pizza.

Tushnamatay: tush - na - mah - Tay

Oh my gosh, I've just realised it was my own inpatience that was causing me not to find them..... I was clicking on the name and then dragging the page dow quickly to scan for a highlighted word.

I just tried again and waited a moment and it does indeed take me right to it!!!! Thanks so much for your help, I'm such a dumb ass!

And now my questions are answered,

MERLU YOU ARE A LEG END!!!