Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Pronouncing "BPAL" and scent names!

So can we get a pronunciation of Leanan Sidhe by chance? I stink at Gaelic pronunciation in spite of my heritage. :P

There's a particular scent that I'd love try that I haven't yet, but the spelling of it was a bit of puzzling to me. Aizen-Myoo. I thought it would sound like "aizen-myu", but it just still looked weird to me. When I looked it up online, it's actually prounounced as "Aizen-Myo-o".

i may be slightly off center here, but everytime i see the SWAP FORUM - or any mention of swaps - for some odd reason i always read it as SWAMP.

SWAMP FORUM anyone?

:P

short o.

actually, i don't know. i pronounce it like a hybrid between a short o, as in "obtuse," and an o as in "ou," like "ouch."

i'm probably wrong though.

Edited by diabolique

So I have to ask.. in the pronounciation of Samhain as "Sow-en", is it a long or short O?

short o.

actually, i don't know. i pronounce it like a hybrid between a short o, as in "obtuse," and an o as in "ou," like "ouch."

i'm probably wrong though.

Not wrong at all!

It's *exactly* the sound as in "ouch"... or "how", or sow (female pig), etc.

Not like "low"

More detail for anmorata:

Think of it as ah + oo only really fast. Though, if you practice too much, people might start thinking you're a dog *grins*

Because in "Samhain", the concensus is that "mh" = "w". "w" = "oo" only faster, and the vowel before the "w" is "a". But it goes so fast that all you get is "sow".

Hmmm, what is the correct pronunciation of vetiver? I always say it in my mind like it's frech "vet-i-vay", but I'm not sure that's right. Anyone?

dictionary.com says vebreve.giftprime.gifschwa.gif -vschwa.gifr

so veht'ih-vahr

eh as in pet, ih as in edible, ah as in about

(i :P the dictionarysearch extension)

Hesperides - Hes-pair-uh-dees

Lampades - Lam-pah-days

Hamadryad - Ham-uh-dry-uhd

Of course, there are different variations to each of those words, depending on where you're learning your Greek mythology :P

I'm glad I'm not the only one who says Bee-Pal as the pronounciation! :P seems I'm with the majority!

Chypre is, I think, pronounced 'Chee-pruh' I know that in French, the name 'Chypre' means Cyprus, not sure if that's linked to the perfume or what.

How do you pronounce these names:

Oisin (I say it Oy-zin...rhymes with raisin...though I'm pretty sure that's not how it's pronounced!)

Aeval

Yggdrasil

here's how you pronounce xiuhtecuhtli, pookie:

she wa te KWA tle !

i think it's rather fun to pronounce. the other day, i was talking to my grandpa about having ordered this scent, and i wound up pronouncing it, "she-tech-uhhhh.. i don't remember how to say it," and he managed to pronounce it PERFECTLY! i just looked at him, blinked, and said, "wow, you're good."

I'm sure pirate be will be able to pronounce that, (anglo japanese boy)

But I'm going to refer to it as She-Ra. That's a heads up for you Laura!!!

I'm not sure how well a Japanese person could read xiuhtecuhtli considering it has letters and syllables that the Japanese language doesn't. I'm not sure though.

How does one go about pronouncing "Tzadikim Nistarim"? That "tza" sound is probably going to kill my poor tongue.

The emphasis would go: Tsa DEE keem Nees TA reem. The "tza" sound has a soft "s" rather than a hard "z"; it's like the "ts" in "tse-tse". :P

Gosh darn it, I have no idea how to say Tenochtitlan.

Someone please help me so I don't make myself look like an idiot in front of pkwench by stammering into a twisted tongue at dinner again? PLEEEEASE? :P :D

I think this is how it's pronounced:

Ten-NOCH (with a ch like cheese) tit-LAN. That's how someone on a travel documentary said it anyway.

Ten-NOCH (with a ch like cheese) tit-LAN. That's how someone on a travel documentary said it anyway.

lol in our house it's *techno chittlin* for that very reason!

lol in our house it's *techno chittlin* for that very reason!

:P

I love it! :D

That's even better than Grandmother of Goats. :D

From Encyclopedia Mythica:

the Hesperides:

hes-pair'-i-deez

...and I pronounce it Bee-Pal too. My husband keeps insisting that Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab sounds like a goth-industrial band name (and has asked me jokingly when they're going to tour).

They actually toured in San Diego last weekend...their music wasn't very good but they smelled fantastic! :P