Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Pronouncing "BPAL" and scent names!

I always pronounce it as "Bree-SING-ahmun" in my own head...

I'm sort of similar - I've been mentally pronouncing it "Brih-sin-GAH-mun."

For me, this is one of those bastardized joke names...in my head, I pronounce it "brings 'em in"! :D

Right up there with "she has a pony"...:P

Anyone know how to correctly pronounce "Goneril"? I've been saying it as "GON-eril" (short o), unless it's "GON-eril" (long o).

I say it with a short o, but I have no idea if that's right. However, I just think of it as the STD one. You know. Gonorrhea. I might not know how to spell it, but I know how to say it! Sort of the opposite problem I have with Goneril.

As something of a Lovecraft aficionado (and an inveterate LARPer), here is the way we were taught to pronounce some of those:

R'lyeh -- RELL-yeh

Nyarlathotep -- ny-ar- (like the english 'are') LA (do-re-mi-la)-thuh-tep

:P Now just try yelling 'Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!' over and over... rofl.

Angelle

Hmm. I'm probably completely wrong here! (but then, I still say 'samhain' as 'samhain'!)

R'lyeh - 'ruh-lie-eh' (with a bit of a gap between the ruh and the lie)

Nyarlathotep - 'nuh-yar-le-toe-tepp' (only kind of slur the nuh and the yar together)

It probably doesn't help that most CoC games I've played have never once used the *names* of any of the beasties we meet... or where they live!

KUNSTKAMMER.  I have a naughty alternate name for that one, probably a lot of us do.

Okay,bear with me, I´m not used to this sort of thing, but I´ll give it a go (after all, I did four yrs of German when I was still in school :P)

Kunst, the u is pretty much pronounced like the English oo, like in "cool". Kammer is straight forward, almost the same as "camera", just drop the last a and you´re nearly there.. Only thing, if you want to be picky, the a in Kammer is more like the a in say, "after", instead of the first a in "camera"

My head is frying now. This is so not for me :D

Anyone know how to correctly pronounce "Goneril"? I've been saying it as "GON-eril" (short o), unless it's "GON-eril" (long o).

It's not the long, complicated names that tie me up, but the short ones. Except Tzadikim Nistarim, but that a whole different ball of wax.

The Aztec names mess with me! Anyway, it is the short o for Goneril. Although I am uncertain if this is correct for the original Elizibethan pronunciation, I have always heard it with the short O in modern nights.

Edited by judas_kiss

It's not the long, complicated names that tie me up, but the short ones. Except Tzadikim Nistarim, but that a whole different ball of wax.

When you hear someone who speaks fluent Hebrew pronounce this, it's beautiful! I gift my acupuncturist with imps and bottles occasionally since she's become a BPAL fan. When I took her a lot of imps including this one, she got so excited about it and told me all about them (I knew a little just from Beth's description). Of course I couldn't tell you right now how it was pronounced... :P I love to hear her recite the names of the Sephiroth too.

I just noticed this, and now I'm embarrassed...

Does anyone else avoid mentioning the name of certain scents just because you feel stupid trying to say them? :D

Samhain for example. I know the correct pronunciation, but in my head it's "Sam-hayne" not the correct real pronunciation, so when someone asks me what it's called I get all embarrassed because I feel stupid using the correct pronunciation for some reason. The same also goes for Oisin (in my head, it's Oy-sin)...I think my brain hates Gaelic names even though my family is Scottish/Irish. :P

So, yeah....I just call Samhain "my Haloween perfume" most of the time because I feel stupid saying it the right way. :D

EDIT: Apparently my brain hates English, too...

Edited by Penance

Oh honey, I honestly wouldn't worry about it...say it the way you want to. I know lots of people who say, 'Sam-hayne' and I don't think of them as being stupid, nor do I think most people do.

I think the only BPAL scents I really feel inhibited saying to people are the South/Central American ones like XIUHTECUHTLI. It just sounds so incredibly stupid coming out of my mouth because I know I'm screwing up the pronounciation big-time.

I just noticed this, and now I'm embarrassed...

Does anyone else avoid mentioning the name of certain scents just because you feel stupid trying to say them? :D

Samhain for example.  I know the correct pronunciation, but in my head it's "Sam-hayne" not the correct real pronunciation, so when someone asks me what it's called I get all embarrassed because I feel stupid using the correct pronunciation for some reason.  The same also goes for Oisin (in my head, it's Oy-sin)...I think my brain hates Gaelic names even though my family is Scottish/Irish. :P

So, yeah....I just call Samhain "my Haloween perfume" most of the time because I feel stupid saying it the right way. :D

EDIT: Apparently my brain hates English, too...

Vechernyaya and Utrennyaya anyone?

Every time I try to pronounce them I end up stuttering, so I've been reduced to calling them the morning and evening star.

Edited by e_miche

Oh honey, I honestly wouldn't worry about it...say it the way you want to.  I know lots of people who say, 'Sam-hayne' and I don't think of them as being stupid, nor do I think most people do.

I think the only BPAL scents I really feel inhibited saying to people are the South/Central American ones like XIUHTECUHTLI.  It just sounds so incredibly stupid coming out of my mouth because I know I'm screwing up the pronounciation big-time.

Thanks, hon. I needed that. :P

I guess I'm just worried someone's going to suddenly go all academic on me and start correcting my pronunciations or something. :D

And I know what you mean about those names sounding stupid. I've got the same problem. :D

As for Vechernyaya and Utrennyaya...I'm probably completely wrong, but I've been pronouncing them:

Vetch (like kvetch) - urn - yaya and You - tren - yaya

Of course, I reference above statements about my incorrect pronunciation, so take that with a grain of salt. :D

I always say Sam-hayne. I can't wrap my head around the other pronunciation and even when I've attended formal ritual observances of the holiday I say Sam-hayne.

I'm a stickler for getting my pronunciation right in German, French and Japanese but I can't seem to understand a lot of other systems so I just go with whatever I can say with the least awkwardness. :P

Whoo! You are my twin, aren't you, Sarada? :D

Seriously, that's exactly the way I deal with pronunciation. :D

I have so much trouble with the Gaelic names that it's not even funny. The only one I can pronounce without feeling stupid is Baobhan Sith and that's only because it sounds stupid being pronounced the way it's spelled, so I had to learn the right way. :D

I feel better about saying Sam-hayne, now. As long as I'm not the only one. :P

Edited by Penance

As for Vechernyaya and Utrennyaya...I'm probably completely wrong, but I've been pronouncing them:

Vetch (like kvetch) - urn - yaya and You - tren - yaya

I never would have thought of Vetch...The "yaya" parts are throwing me off. Reminds me of that Ya-ya Sisterhood book.

Vetch is the first thing that came to mind, but I could definitely be wrong. :D

I keep thinking Ya-Ya Sisterhood, too. :P

Aztec names are pretty damn hard...I have real problems with pronouncing/spelling the X oil too. Yup, I'll have to copy and paste it if I ask for an imp of it. Same with 'Bloody Bunnies' (you know the one), but it's not as tongue curdling as the X oil looks.

Is Tezcatlipoca (sp?) pronounced tez-cat-lih-poker? I say that, but I could be wrong...

Whoo!  You are my twin, aren't you, Sarada? :D

Seriously, that's exactly the way I deal with pronunciation. :D

I have so much trouble with the Gaelic names that it's not even funny.  The only one I can pronounce without feeling stupid is Baobhan Sith and that's only because it sounds stupid being pronounced the way it's spelled, so I had to learn the right way. :D

I feel better about saying Sam-hayne, now.  As long as I'm not the only one. :P

Yeah, I can't pronounce anything Celtic, Gaelic, Welsh, etc. which is really embarassing since that's my heritage (well, I know I'm English/Scottish/Welsh, at least). I just do my best to never have to say anything in any of those languages/dialects!

You and me both! My whole family is either Scottish or Irish with the exception of a small amount of Cherokee on my mom's side and a few pockets of random European nationalities on my dad's side, so I'm a bit embarrassed not to be able to pronounce all the pretty Gaelic names without sounding like an idiot. :P

At least for the Aztec ones I have an excuse. :D

[snip]

I have so much trouble with the Gaelic names that it's not even funny.  The only one I can pronounce without feeling stupid is Baobhan Sith and that's only because it sounds stupid being pronounced the way it's spelled, so I had to learn the right way. :P

[snip]

My head sees "Baobhan Sith" and thinks, Bah-o-bahn Sith. Isn't he one of the Dark Lords from Star Wars? :D

I don't talk about the oils "out loud" with many people, it's mostly here on the forum. But when I am talking in person and don't know how to pronounce the name I usually toss the imp at my hubby (ok, pass it gently. I do respect my preciouss) and say, "This one. I have no clue how to say it." The hubby is well-read enough that he can usually come up with a pronunciation.

My head sees "Baobhan Sith" and thinks, Bah-o-bahn Sith. Isn't he one of the Dark Lords from Star Wars? :D

LOL! I have that problem too! I say Ba-o-ban Sith too...I am also rusty withGaelic/Celtic names too. I need to stop saying 'leanne-an-sid' in my head whenever I see Leanan Sidhe! Samhain is similar-in my head, I say 'sam-hayne' as well.

And Aeval. Is it pronounced 'ah-eh-val'? or 'e-val', or something totally different?

I, on the other hand, have no probs with French names. I'm half French, so names like Grand Guignol don't bother me. :P (it's pronounced 'graahn gee-nyol', with the 'gee' having a hard G.)

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I believe I heard the History Channel pronounce it "heh - TIE - reh."

that's good to know. earlier this week, a co-worker asked me what perfume i was wearing today and i had to say: i don't know. . .can't pronounce it. starts with an 'H'.

he laughed at me. :P

*snork!*