Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Pronouncing "BPAL" and scent names!

I apologize if this is covered somewhere, but can someone tell me how to pronounce Xiuhtecuhtli? I'm just curious! Thanks! :P

um, chai girl, could you give a phonetic reprodution of the japanese for "evil slut bitch?"  i generally don't curse, but i would love to know for emergencies  :P

Hm. I know 'onna no baka' is stupid bitch...lemme research the evil slut part. >)

Kono Kusoyarou! - Fuck you, or literally, you are shit.

kuso yarou - loosely equivalent to 'you asshole'

zakennayo - again, loosely, fuck off.

and then the standards,

kuso/shimitta - damn/shit

A really good site, don't know if it's accurate though...

And another site

Edited by Amber

the sound is hard to describe, but it's like you were going to say son - ee, but you stop just before pronouncing the ee.

that is hard to describe, but you did a good job!

my family is Hungarian and my mom guesses Szepasszony is pronounced:

zhea-pash-ohn with the emphasis on the first syllable.

thats not entirely correct but I'll get her to repeat it and edit this later. I'm a bad girl and didnt learn much of my home language. :P

Edited by Mitzy

OK, so I have finally fallen completely in love. It's perfect for me. I ordered a 10 ml bottle a day after trying it. Everyone else loves it on me too. The only problem: people ask me what it is, and I CAN'T TELL THEM!!!

So help me. How in the world do you say: Xiutecuhtli?

:P :D

First, I'd like to thank Jenmaha for the Sheherezade and comments about transliteration. I've been pronouncing it wrong, and am happy to learn the correct way. The transliteration problem is true of Russian words, and it gets very frustrating, especially about Moscow. None of the pronunciations people use for this word are correct in English because the spelling is not at all phonetic or even correctly transliterated (in *none* of the transliteration methods). It's really pronounced musk-VAH. So when people get all worked up about saying "It's Moscoh in Russia and Moscow in Iowa" it frustrates me. When speaking English, I normally pronounce it "Moscow" because that at least is truer to English phonetics...

As for Oneiroi, this isn't French, so the end would be 'oy' and not 'wa'. I'm guessing it's Greek. It looks like I've been pronouncing it wrong, though, because I've been doing a dipthong of eh+ee for the ei (basically, the 'ay' in day, but with more of an ee at the end). It seems that -oi (sound) is a common plural ending for Greek words... aren't the Fates something like the Moeiroi?

Okay, apologies for my linguistics rant...

Shoot, I should have put this at the other thread:

in the 'tle' is that what it looks like in the real word, as in 'tlee'? Or is it the 'tle' at the end of 'little'? I'm assuming the former, but am still curious as I would like to have it right...

Shoot, I should have put this at the other thread:

in the 'tle' is that what it looks like in the real word, as in 'tlee'?  Or is it the 'tle' at the end of 'little'?  I'm assuming the former, but am still curious as I would like to have it right...

In Spanish, "i" is like eeeeeeeeeeeh, like "weeeeee."

So the ending is "tlee" because it's "tli."

And for my two cents (hah I typed "scents"), I disagree with the suggested pronunciation of Xiutecuhtli.

I think it's Seeyou-teh-COO-tlee. Not certain where she-wa-te-KWA-tle comes from.

Xiu = Seeyou. X is like an "S" sound in Spanish, and "iu" is the dipthong of -eeyou. I could be wrong since this is Mexican and not Spanish, but still

Edited by tart

And for my two cents (hah I typed "scents"), I disagree with the suggested pronunciation of Xiutecuhtli.

I think it's Seeyou-teh-COO-tlee. Not certain where she-wa-te-KWA-tle comes from.

Xiu = Seeyou. X is like an "S" sound in Spanish, and "iu" is the dipthong of -eeyou. I could be wrong since this is Mexican and not Spanish, but still

The reason "Xiutecuhtli" doesn't follow the usual Spanish pronunciation guidelines is because the word origin isn't Spanish, it comes from the native language of the Aztecs, prior to their being conquered by Cortez and his fellow Spaniards.

ETA: here is a good page containing info on how to pronounce Aztec words -- at the bottom there is a table showing pronunciations for quite a few Aztec names, including Xiutecuhtli.

Edited by hadaverde

I'm just really glad someone knows...some of Beth's names are tongue-twisters!

Edited by VelvetSky

Just looking at Baobhan Sith and description on Andrabells link.

In irish folklore we have the Bean Si or Bean Siog pronounced ban-shee.

The fairy woman who is usually connected to some certain Irish families and appears ( combing her hair)or is heard wailing just before a family member dies.

Perhaps this is the scottish version?Its similar. Scottish Galic is similar to Gealic or our language- Geailge.

For the record, as a native Irish person I would pronounce Lughanasadh as lu-na-sa (the Irish word for August) . Samhain is saow-in ( Irish for October)

The reason "Xiutecuhtli" doesn't follow the usual Spanish pronunciation guidelines is because the word origin isn't Spanish, it comes from the native language of the Aztecs, prior to their being conquered by Cortez and his fellow Spaniards.

Ahh, that's what I thought. Xiutecuhtli, Xochimilco, all of these crazy words. Thanks for responding!

the sound is hard to describe, but it's like you were going to say son - ee, but you stop just before pronouncing the ee.

that is hard to describe, but you did a good job!

my family is Hungarian and my mom guesses Szepasszony is pronounced:

zhea-pash-ohn with the emphasis on the first syllable.

thats not entirely correct but I'll get her to repeat it and edit this later. I'm a bad girl and didnt learn much of my home language. :P

My family is Hungarian, too! :D

Continuing on the pronunciation:

There may be a dialectic difference between pronouncing the consonant sz as versus [zh]...if there is, I'd love to hear about it! (I'm a lingusitics major, can you tell?)

sheh -pa-zon- ae

is how I would have pronounced it...does that sound right???

A linguistics major..how cool Morrighana! What languages are you studying?Are you a Virgo by the way.. :D I can be very picky about that kind of thing to ...its a Virgo thing :P

Velvet Sky,I also love pronouncition and hearing different launguages spoken.

Im off to the West of Ireland (if the weather improves!) in September and hopefully will get to brush up on my Irish. I used to be fluent but am very rusty due to under use. My sister and I sometimes speak Irish together at home for fun but also to keep as much of it as we can.

Do you study or speak Gaelic? Thats the Scottish version isint it?

btw took a peep in your jounal...too funny about those silver lamé trousers! :D

Adam ant was my first pin up! :D

Skallywag, I don't study or speak Gaelic, just love the sound of the words...so poetic!

How fantastic that you're going to Ireland, you must be jumping out of your skin with anticipation!!!

hahaaa...thanks for peeking in at my Journal (stop by anytime!). Aren't those pants hysterical? As for Adam Ant, he was quite dishy back in the day wasn't he, and the only person who could get away with a coat like that!

Actually I live here :D ..but on the east coast, so Im heading west for 2 weeks and I cant wait!

Adam Ant was my hero! :D but I was abot 14 at the time

I would have worn those pants in a heartbeat back then!!

:P

sheh -pa-zon- ae

is how I would have pronounced it...does that sound right???

A linguistics major..how cool Morrighana! What languages are you studying?Are you a Virgo by the way.. :D  I can be very picky about that kind of thing to ...its a Virgo thing :P

Nah, I'm a Pisces. I probably have some Virgo in my chart somewhere, though.

I'm currently studying German, and hope to do French as well, but my degree will focus on English, I think. :D

As far as Szepasszony:

It would be: Say - pass - son. The ssz is simply a double sz, so you don't add an English-esque z sound there, but you do repeat the s sound. The ny is one character...the sound is hard to describe, but it's like you were going to say son - ee, but you stop just before pronouncing the ee.

You were close, though!

I really should know this...but I really don't. Which syllable is accented in Tintagel? Is it TIN-tagel or tinTAgel?

It's one of those names I've read many times but never heard anyone say out loud. This had tripped me up many times in my life, since as a child I read much more than I talked (it's a toss-up these days... :D) My personal favorite was when, at about age 7, I told my mom I was feeling mel-ANCH-oly. Kind of like "anchovie." :P But I digress. Right. Tintagel?

tin-TA-gel. The TA is like tat, and the g is pronounced like a j, as in jello. :P

(I thought for the longest time that it was TIN-tah-jell...)

Edited to clarify!

Edited by clover

Clover, I thought you might answer this one! Just a hunch. :D (Yay for Arthurian obsessions!!!) Allrighty, of course I was saying it exactly wrong. Although not as wrong as when I first read about the Greek pantheon as a child and pronounced "Persephone" as though it ended like "telephone." :P