Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A raven-haired Fairy Queen of Ireland. One of her eternal duties dictates that she must hold a midnight court every season and hear the pleas of married Irishwomen. The court serves only to determine whether or not husbands are adequately serving their wife’s sexual needs. A judicious yet powerfully sensual blend, a mingling of justice and sexuality: sage, sweet pea, bold pale musk and warm tonka.

Sensual indeed...I love this. On me it's mostly sweetpea, but there's the sage backing it up, keeping it from being too sweet or flowery, and the musk anchoring everything together. As it dries it gets a bit sharper and more herbal but there's still that sweet note to it. Edited by Shollin

Imp: Light herbal-ly. Pretty. I can smell the sage and the sweet pea.

On skin: sweet pea and more sweet pea.

Dry: The musk makes everything so beautiful! This smells "pink", if that makes sense. The tonka starts to make an appearance as well. This kind of reminds me of Herbal Essences shampoo as a sophisticated perfume.

Overall: Love it! This smells like twirling around under the bright spring sunlight in a flowy pink skirt.

Edited by circe_blue

Firstly, I'm not going to do the bottle/wet-on-skin/dry-down thing as I don't seem to get much of a change like most people.

Secondly, I'm utterly useless picking out notes, even after 4 years BPALing. And not having smelt tonka on its own as a single note, I couldn't be sure what the predominant wow, that's different from what I normally wear but I like it smell was. So I went a googling for a description for tonka and found:

sweet, hay-like smell, something like vanilla with a little cinnamon, clove, and almonds thrown in. ... in small amounts it makes a decent subsitute for musk. ... blends especially well with patchouli, sandalwood, rose, and lavender, and with citrus peels.
Sounds great and certainly something I should like. I am getting a vanilla-type smell, but more of a smooth warm/spicy vanilla blended with a sweet floral musk that packs a nice punch into the mix. It is a sweet blend, for sure.

Scent Age

3 years

Throw

Great (which for me is lots)

Staying power

<8 hours, I had to reapply before end of work.

Overall impression

Wonderfully smooth, sweet, floral musk.

I will buy a bottle.

Sniffed in imp: Light yellow oil. Sweet, powdery floral. Sweet pea and tonka jump out strongly. Faint hint of herbal, slightly soapy and mentholic sage. Feminine.

This would go to straight soapy powder on me.

In the imp: sage, sweet pea, herbs

Wet: tonka, musk, then another rush of sweet pea and sage

Dry: The sage adds an earthy quality to this, the tonka staying dominant for a while, warm and creamy sweet pea still there. Just a bit naughty--a sweat pea scent that is not frilly and girly. A bit softer than Leanan Sidhe. After an hour or so, the tonka gets a light vanilla tone. Overall still sensual and fresh.

A mix of ethereal and earth...this is a good daytime scent for me. Dignified and respectful.

Edited by mineralfairy

In the imp, very fresh and green. Seems like a great summertime scent. The sweet pea seems to dominate this for me, and wish that the musk came out more. While I like this, I'll probably just enjoy the imp.

Reminds me a bit of Tiki Queen and Pele--huh? I'm not sure why that's happening. Unfortunately, the sweet pea is turning into soap on me very quickly. I do get a hint of sage from this that's very appealing but otherwise...soap!

This is really nice - it's very balanced between the sweet pea and the sage in the imp, and when it dries down it's largely sweet pea with the other notes as a good supporting cast, which keep it from becoming too sweet or too soapy. The tonka and the musk make it slightly creamy and more noticeable; the sage keeps it from going too girly.

Overall, I like it for when I'm in the (rare) sweet pea mood - this would be good for spring/summer days.

I liked this one a lot more than I thought I was going to. I'm not normally a floral person, but the sage and musk made this passable on my skin. It was sweet and light. A really beautiful blend, although not one I'd wear regularly. I'd wear this if I was going to be around children, or at a family function.

i always thought the notes for this one sounded so appealing...i was excited to finally try it. unfortunately, this one ends up being bath & body works' sweet pea single note on me. i don't get the sage, the musk, the tonka...so sad. and i don't have much else to report. although i guess it's good to know for the future that i'm not too wild about sweet pea. it's just too gentle and...cutesy, or something. oh well.

This is a very pretty, feminine scent. The one note I can really pick out is sweet pea, but I definitely like the way it blends with the other notes. This one works much better on me than Juliet did. The scent stays close to the skin. I can't stop compulsively sniffing my arm. :P

In the imp: Very delicate. A bit sweet and herby. Smells exactly like my bodywash. And I think my bodywash smells pretty. :D

Wet: Smells like it does in the bottle. The green herbiness comes out a little more, but it's very delicate. Not a scent that would bother anyone. Definitely wouldn't give me a headache like a lot of scents do. And it's so refreshing and clean!

Dry: I can only smell faint traces of what I put in my hair when I move my head. I don't want to have to move my head back and forth all day to have to smell it. :D

Overall: I think this is absolutely gorgeous, but it fades way too quickly on me. As in, it fades within 10 minutes. :P

In the vial: Very sweet and light. I'm pretty sure that's the sweet pea.

On the skin: Musky yet with a hint of a watery note. I get the sage the more it dries down. It's a very summery light scent. Quite beautiful.

Musk brightened with tonka, sage and sweet pea.

It is fresh, crisp and clean smelling. I love the herbal element with sage and the sweetness

of tonka and sweet pea. A perfect combination.

Edited by Schmoozy

Sadly, Aeval is absolutely AW-ful on me. Death by rancid sweet pea dish soap. I'm about to go try to scrub it off my arm again, although I've already gone through one layer of skin. Blech :P I really wanted to like this one with the whole Ireland thing :D Not meant to be. Good to remember from now on that sweet pea = bad on me. Luckily one of my swap partners wants to try this :D

In the bottle: A sweet floral with a warm, more sophisticated base.

On me: Sweet and floral with musk in the background. Possibly tonka. I don't smell the sage.

1 hour+ later: A bit less floral and more musky. A very feminine and floral sort of sensual. I could see this being very good when I am going '20s glam.

ETA: I do think it's sort of a watery floral, like someone said above.

Edited by Gaidig

In the Imp

Light, crisp, and feminine. I’m getting a lot of sweet pea out of the imp.

On My Skin

Smells exactly like it did in the imp, I hope once the blend dries the tonka will come out a bit more.

After a Bit

This is a very light scent and doesn’t have a lot of throw. The sweet pea was the dominant scent and while the tonka was detectible, it didn’t really come out as much as I would have hoped.

Rating 1-5

Scent - 3.5 Throw - 2 Longevity – 2

Overall (not an average) – 3

Final thoughts

This may be a good blend to wear to work, it’s pretty light, nice smelling. I don’t think I’d get a bottle of this, but I will use up my imp.

I was a-diggin' through my imp bag to see what to put in my oil burner. :D (that's where they go when they breed too vigorously in my house.) It smelled like a clean, fruity nondescript scent, so it's in my oil burner now. But I decided to try it out on my skin.

When I first put it on, I didn't have the notes handy, and took a deep sniff. "Apple," I thought. "Apple and pear for sure."

:P

FAIL.

so apparently I can't pick out notes to save my life. What I'm assuming is the sweet pea is predominant, and is very sweet. Not cloyingly so, but this is very girly, very sweet, and very...not me, O Lover of Resins and Spice. It smells nice, and is scenting my house beautifully, but florals like this don't really do it for me.

drydown: soap. sneezy sneezy soap.

so, Aeval is not a winner for me, apparently. Thank God--the last thing I need is to buy more bottles! :D

I got this as a frimp from the lab.

Wet: Subtle, sharpish, and sort of perfumey, but good. Elegant. The sort of perfume my mother would wear - classy.

Dry: Unfortunately fades rather quickly on my skin, although a trace of the smell stays on, it's very hard to detect.

Overall: If it didn't fade so fast, I'd buy a bottle. I think I'll test it out on my mom and see how she wears it. I'll try it on myself again in a month and see if some aging or skin chemistry changes does anything for the staying power, too.

Delicate and floral - quite lovely, and a bit soapy. The musk and the tonka seem to be keeping it sweet without being too heady, like a floral sweetness. I can't say that I'm getting the sage directly, but I'm sure it's that tiny resinous note that's in there, adding a touch of refreshing sharpness.

This is lovely, but a bit too floral for me.

I love the smell of sweet pea- it reminds me of my grandmother's garden when I was a kid. However, I find that I don't enjoy smelling of sweet pea at all. Two hours into wearing it the musk is starting to show, but despite the tiniest of dabs, the scent is filling my nostrils and making them ache. I do like this scent in the imp though, so perhaps I can find some other use for it. But I'm going to wash it off from my skin.

I spent 10 minutes trying to remember what this smells like, but quickly perusing previous reviews quickly helped jog my mind: dish soap! Although, in all fairness, the best dish soap you ever smelled. Still, not something I would wear, but would be a nice way to scent a room or possibly paper, rugs, etc.

To start, I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. It's on of my favorites and I first tried it over a year ago!

In the imp: fresh, sweet, kind of has a watery feel to it. Not watered-down or sea-like, I mean more like fresh pond lilies, that kind of sweetness. Very feminine.

Wet on skin: The sweet pea is the strongest note here, but the musk is noticeable as well. Gorgeous, sweet and fresh. Intoxicating, reminds me of the spring and how it smells when it rains and the scent of all the new flowers is heavy on the air.

Drydown: Stays pretty true throughout, fades ever so slightly. The sweet pretty floral sweet pea scent reminds me of vacation, while the musk keeps it sexyand very feminine. Exquisitely sensual.

Overall: Like I stated above, it's a favorite of mine. When I'm in the mood for something fresh I pick this up. It's a very "me" kinda floral. I love the tale that is the inspiration for it as well.

Has anyone else noticed that Aeval smells very similar to Snow White? I can't be the only one. This smells like fresh from the Lab Snow White. With a dash of sparkly clean thrown in. I like this, and I'm surprised because I didn't think I would.