Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Juke Joint

A bawdy, gleefully wicked and unruly scent: Kentucky Bourbon, sugar and a sprig of mint.

Frimp! Thank you labbies :P

Imp: wheew! alcohol
Wet: something vanilla-ish emerges. I guess it's the sugar, but I wasn't aware that this was sugar, and thought immediately of vanilla. I also agree with the "Snake Oil light" comparisons at this stage!
Dry: well, it's very pretty, but I found it was gone after about an hour (max) Edited by Shollin

Juke joint to me is the wallflower sibling of spooky...it's nice enough, but not nearly as impressive. I had high hopes for the boozy mintiness, but it's just boring on my skin somehow. I chalk it up to my weird skin chemistry, and will put this one up for swaps.

Makes me want to go to the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland or sit on the veranda. It's a bit softer than I expected, but I like it very much. The subtle hint of mint was a pleasant surprise.

Given my obsession with mint, I'm surprised that it took me this long to try Juke Joint.

Wet: mint! Fresh mint, like a mint plant. A bit nondescript at this stage.

Drydown: OMG, bad. Bad bad. Heavy powdery deodorant smell.

I have no idea why this turned on my skin the way it did. Bourbon usually works well on me. This is the nasty powder funk I usually get from amber.

Oh well.

I'll edit in a proper review later, but I just had to mention this...

I have had some kind of freak plague cold all week. I read on here somewhere (damned if I can remember WHERE though...cold's affecting more than my respiratory system!) that mint smelled really nice when you're sick.

Well, my nose couldn't tell you what's in Juke Joint beyond mint MINT MINT, but it sure is making me feel better. I feel lucky to have ordered this in my last Lab imp pack! =D

ADDED 3/27/09:

Wet: Mint!

First on: Super strong mint and alcohol.

Dry: Mint and sugar. Great for colds, not so much for perfume.

In the imp: Minty

On Skin: Mint julep! Wow. I had one when I was in college during a Southern Cooking night that my roommates and I held and the drink HAD to be mint juleps. This smells just like my mint julep did!

On Drydown: Alcoholy.

Verdict: Wow... the Lab basically bottled up a mint julep. I'm not so fond of the drydown since it's like a warm ambery alcoholic smell on me... but I'm amazed at how it represents the life of a drink olfactory wise. Bravo Lab! If I enjoyed the drydown a little more, I would definitely keep the imp.

In the vial: Creme de Menthe Torani syrup

On my skin: Heady, too heady. The booze note is super sweet and sickening.

Verdict: The booze aspect is overwhelming and makes me feel light-headed and the mint is too sweet sweet sweet.

I loved the idea of this scent, and I wanted it to work me.

In the bottle, this smells exactly like it's description -- booze with a little bit of mint. On my skin, the mint comes out first and strongest with an base of whiskey. I love it when it's wet. It's gorgeous, fun, and more than a little inappropriate smelling.

Unfortunately, when it's dry, I smell like baby powder. It's slightly sweet, slightly minty baby powder, but it's till baby powder.

Bottle: Very minty, fizzy and sweet and first sniff- then comes the bourbon. Wooahhh, bourbon.

Wet: Ooh, I like this. It's clean and spicy. That sounds a little contradictory, but it is. It smells oddly woody on me.

Dry: When the bourbon comes out, it really comes out (as all boozey notes do on me) and unfortunately this is more, "I just drunkenly spilled a bottle of bourbon on myself" than "elegant perfume with an unconventional but well-done hint of bourbon."

Overall: If Juke Joint smelled like it does on me on a boy, I would like this better. I keep thinking I smell cedar or something and that confuses me. Ok. It really does smell like cedar to me!

In the bottle:

It's exactly like the description says. The mint is really strong, but that's not a bad thing!

On skin wet:

Very minty, with a hint of bourbon in the background.

Dried down:

The mint has completely died, and all I can smell is something akin to talcum powder, with a small boozy edge to it.

This was a frimp I received with my order. After reading the description, I was excited to try it out.

Initial Impression: Definitely a mint julep!

On Wet: Very minty. There's a hint of sweetness in the background, but overall I'm smelling mint.

On Dry: More sweet now, still minty, the bourbon's kicking in a bit. This seems almost masculine.

Final Impression: This scent brings to mind an old library or men's club room. Wood paneling, big leather chairs, and pipe smoke. Those are the elements I'm smelling now: wood, sweet smoke, a hint of leather. There's an itty bit of mint hovering there in the background too. A very sweet, but very masculine smell. Very sexy. I love this and feel like a sexy bitch wearing it. I'll definitely buy the 5ml.

Rating (on a scale of 1-5): A very sexy 4.

In imp: Scarlett just threw her julep in my face.

Wet: ... and to recover from the mortification, I'm just going to chug mine, and I don't care that the mint stalk is going right up my sweet little nose.

Drydown: Once the very, very realistic alcoholic-drink aura burns off, there's a stage of consistent, full sweetness, and then a stage of ambery powder, as if I had washed my face, changed my dress, and reached for the talc. Some people are bummed by this metamorphosis, but on the other side of the coin, it makes it possible to wear a bit of this scent to work if you like without being mistaken for someone severely in need of counseling. The bourbon is sweet and clear; the booziness is much less heavy and aggressive than that in Baron Samedi, for example. It's a nice scent that makes its point and then doesn't hang around too heavily -- the first stage really was almost literally intoxicating, and you also don't want to be pulled over slathered with eau de mint julep and then have to explain your perfume!

Another freebie. This scent is very evocative for me. I don't know if it's the name influencing me, but I feel like I could dance until 2 AM in this. If only it would last until then! Perhaps I'll just stick it into my purse.

In the bottle, I get mint chip ice cream with a little vodka on top.

On skin? Damn. How hot do I smell with this on? The boozy note really comes out, but not so much that it seems like I've already been to the bar. This is a great confidence booster scent. That hot girl at the bar? I can get her number. Twice. And then make out with her boyfriend. :P It lasts about four hours on, which is kind of short for me, but I don't mind with this scent.

Mint julep! And it's a very delicious smelling one, I might add, though I feel like my breath should smell heavily of alcohol when I sniff my wrist and then exhale. The bourbon does fade after awhile, leaving sugared mint.

Absolutely Mint Julep.

Love the way this starts off! Boozy mint!

Unfortunately my skin seems to dislike this one, as the bourbon vanishes and the mint goes wrong. I'm not left with a particularly nice smell at all - it's like mint gone floral powder. :P

Dang. I wanted to like this one.

Juke Joint left me cold at first and then grew on me to the point where I had to have a bottle! It's slightly sweet and Southern Comforting. I'd love a little more mint, though, please!

First sniff: This one starts off with light green mint leaves and a little soul (must be the bourbon note I'm smelling).

Wearing: This morphed. A lot. First few minutes it turned from the green mint to a heady pink musk. Once this settled, out came something deeper, an almost herbal smell. Took me a while to figure it out, but it was a sugary aniseed. Then shifted to a distinctive champhor like scent. But through all these stages, it stayed mellow. No note jumped out too far, it stayed pretty well balanced through all this. All in all, this is one mellow cool cat.

Unfortunately it didn't last quite as long as I would have liked, but this just means I get to put more on :P

Rum soapy. Fading fast. Not much point to that one on me. A slight amount of smoke rising up, but not enough to make it worthwhile.

Another frimp from the lab in my Pirate Moon order :P and again something I never would have tried by myself.

In the imp - Sweet with an almost cocoa front note

Wet - Sweet and boozy! The alcohol note dominates, slightly softened by the sugar with the barest hint of mint if I huff my wrist. It fades to a pleasant enough skin scent but I can't see myself reaching for it on purpose.

I'm glad to have had the chance to try it but it's off to swaps so someone can *hic* love it more :D

In the imp, and when first applied, Juke Joint is a sweet and refreshing mint but unfortunately the drydown on me is kind of like I spilled bourbon on myself. Kind of grotty. The initial burst of scent is lovely though.

this was the scent that motivated me to try BPAL.

in the vial, oh my GOD. bourbon, mint, and i pick up touches of wet wood and smoke. it reminds me of a honkytonk so much. i love it.

wet-yes yes!

5 minutes later- straight up powder.

:P

i'm trying it on clothes, and giving it a shot in a scent locket before i put it on my swap list.

Bottle: Sweet Bourbon

Wet: Very minty! I've never had a mint julep, but this smells like mint booze.

Drydown: The mint is very herbal, very straight on mint. I'm getting less of the booze than I'd like, but I'm glad I don't smell like I fell asleep in a bar.

3.0 outta 5

Juke Joint confuses me. It does start a little minty, but turns quickly into something sweet, crisp, and herbal. Herbal? *boggles* I have no idea what my skin chemistry is doing to this. I don't really get a boozy scent out of it, maybe a little undertone but that's it.

That said, I like it, and my husband likes it. "It smells clean," he says. That means he likes it. *wry grin* So I'll be keeping my imp, but remaining puzzled about what my skin is actually picking up.

Wow, this is one of the weirdest BPAL experiences yet. In the bottle, very minty. Wet on my skin, mint and bourbon. And then my body chemistry starts doing the jitterbug with it and it comes out this intoxicating warm patchouli/amber/bourbon smell that's just...wow. No mint on dry down. When I first smelled it I thought, oh no, I'm going to have to wash it off, the hubby hates patchouli, but he looked and me and said, oh no, don't wash it off. It's very, very hot. So. May have to get a bottle. :P