Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
sarahjay

'red' scents

hello - I think the new 'living flame' LE scent sounds lovely - but I'm not entirely sure what a 'red' scent might smell like....

cinamon maybe - what else?

so I thought maybe some of you could tell me what else you think smells 'red' and then I could go & read the reviews

thanks muchly :P

i normally think it's the combination of notes rather than one note (like cinnamon) that gives a scent its "color."

some blends with definite red vibes:

bordello (more of a maroon)

lust

dragon's heart (dark, polished-wood red)

dragon's milk (candied red)

lampades

blood

blood rose

harlot

lady macbeth

blood countess (smoky, blackened red)

bloodlust

lilith

rage

the red queen

cheshire cat

Three Witches, Wrath, and Dragon's Heart are all firey red scents to me. Inferno is a duller red, and Siren is kind of a golden orange-red.

Edited to add Kabuki and Blood as bright red scents.

Edited by pekeana

I'm thinking that it would either be something in the dragon's blood, spicy or fruity realm or a combination of all three.

Some of the ones I've tried that I would classify like that are the Dragon's Blood fragrances, anything else with "Blood" in the name, Lilith, Bordello, Jester, (those three are berry-riffic), Three Witches, Wrath, (for spicy)....and the deeper darker rose smells (Spellbound, Black Rose...). I personally tend to think of Scherezade and Sin and Lust as red smells but as much darker ones, more like dried blood than vibrant, pulsing red. I tend to personally prefer those that I think of as "dried blood"...I am thinking that Living Flame is might wind up having something more spicy and fruity going on, but who knows! :P

A red scent might possibly include:

dragon's blood

cinnamon

cherry

rose

currants

red wine/merlot

I'm sure there are other things that might be commonly found in a red scent, but most of the red scents I've seen listed in this thread contain one or more of those ingredients.

Other things that might be seen in a red blend:

red patchouli

red sandalwood

clove

raspberry

cranberry

Thus, I am torn about ordering The Living Flame. If it is a spicy, resin scent then I ought to love it. If it's a fruity, rosey scent then I'm bound to hate it.

Thus, I am torn about ordering The Living Flame. If it is a spicy, resin scent then I ought to love it. If it's a fruity, rosey scent then I'm bound to hate it.

That's exactly what I was thinking... I hope it's not rosey! I figured there are enough people who would take a rosey scent off my hands, though... my curiosity got the best of me. :P

Like others I tend to think of two categories of "red" scents. First, the resin/dragon's blood/spicy category. Second, the bright red berries category. I'm generally far more pleased with the latter category, so I'm still totally undecided about The Living Flame, as the name seems to lend itself better to the former category.

good that someone mentioned Venice is red, definitely - berries and rose...

how about Persephone (roses and pomagranate)?

I am hoping against hope that Living Flame has dragon's blood in it, because I LOVES ME DRAGON'S BLOOD. And also that it doesn't have cherries in it, because anything with cherries in it makes me smell like a bottle of cough medicene exploded on me.

Or bitter almond. Eeck.

~Diamond~

to my nose, persephone is pink. . .

when i think of red, i think of the blood scents (blood kiss, blood amber) and the dragon's blood.

now, maybe that's just my blood = red connotation :P but the scents smell red to me. . .

to my nose, persephone is pink. . .

when i think of red, i think of the blood scents (blood kiss, blood amber) and the dragon's blood. 

now, maybe that's just my blood = red connotation  :P  but the scents smell red to me. . .

No, I agree. Blood Kiss is very smoky, deep red. Blood Rose, although it didn't really agree with me, is a very red red scent.

I would add Eris to the list. There's something about the floral/fruit mixed with the martial spices that seem very, very red to me.

Personally, I'm still trying to decide whether to order the Living Flame. My skin loves Dragon's Blood, but I don't like overly sweet scents. But in lieu of cinnamon, it does seem to be the most likely red scent in a blend.

Hollywood Babylon makes me think of a fruity red and I envision a perfect strawberry swollen with juice. It becomes more and more swollen with it's own perfection until it bursts and continues to thrive in it's own growing puddle of sweet succulence. Such a deep, dark, sweet and juicy red for me. Love this one!

Edited by HappyLoveJoy

Sign in to follow this