Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Clove discussion! including bitter clove and clove cigarettes

So, I tried it out today (right after I read the forum, in fact), and put on The Smiling Spider and swiped some Snake Oil on over it. At first, I wasn't sure how well they were doing together on me, but then the clove really came out in a way that pleased me. :D

*nods* good stuff, isn't it? i generally put the snake oil on first and then the spider on top...that seems to give a bit more clovey goodness. it's become my default my boyfriend is coming to spend the night scent (that or scherezade...) :P

Pickled Imp. Not as much if you only do a dab or two, but when I slather a bit more, I get a tobacco sort of note (which might be the vanilla), and clove, with cinnamon of course, but it's not red-hots cinnamon. I've put off doing the LE thing, because I didn't want to love something that had a planned time it would be gone, and now I went and did it. I could happily wear Pickled Imp for the rest of my life, and it's going to be gone soon :P

Clemence! Granted, there's a good whack of patchouli to wade through at first, but I'm finding that it dies down quickly to a complementary note, letting the clove really shine. If you amp patch or carnation, Clemence might not be a "pure" enough clove scent for you, but she's getting me all nostalgic for my high school goth-club days...

Hello everyone!

I am specifically trying to find a scent that smells like the beautiful smell of clove cigarettes. That sweet yet spicy clove smell. I find that this scent is so hard to find. I have, over the years, collected many candles and types of incense that all promised to smell like cloves but the smells are often different, a little too sweet or a little too over the top spicy.

I guess I am looking for the nice initial smell of a clove cigarette in a scent (before it smells like smoke...). Anyone have any BPAL suggestions?

Ooh, I LOVE the smell (and taste) of clove cigarettes! It's so comforting :P

Sadly, I don't smoke anymore, so I'm also looking for the perfect clove scent.

I've heard that The Smiling Spider is a great clove scent, but unfortunately it doesn't work too well on me (still keeping it, though, in case my skin chemistry decides to magically change!)

I decided to merge the separate threads on clove scents and clove cigarette scents due to the extensive overlap of discussion between the two of them. Enjoy your clovey scents for fall, everyone :P

My ex used to smoke cloves, and I loved the smell. I've only gotten that in three blends, Blood and Blood Kiss, which was minor, and Harvest Moon, where the clove was almost drowned out by the wine.

Are there any blends that are really clove-y?

Bumping this as I've been wearing Clemence a lot lately and I love the clove note. The combination of tea, carnation and cloves is just so warm and lovely - I can't get enough of it. Anyone who loves clove scents and hasn't tried this, get thee to the Carnival!

Oh look, it's me again. ;)

This might seem like a really odd rec for the clove thread, but Red Rose (from the Trading Post set of roses) has such an incredible clove note. Oddly, I don't think you necessarily have to be a rose lover to love this scent. My mother in law had tried Rose Red in the past and didn't care for it, finding it too boldly "rosy" (she does like Alice) - however, she really liked the scent of Red Rose. The rose note is subtle, the clove is dominant when wet and as it dries, it becomes a more gentle spice that blends with the amber and musk. If you were on the fence about trying it before it's gone (or just going ahead and ordering the set :P ), I'm the enabler who would push you over the edge.

Velvet Bandito. OMG, this is almost pure clove on me. I love it! The Smiling Spider is a GC equivalent of Velvet Bandito, all clove and spices. MMMM. You can't get more pure clove than that.

Hello! I'm new around here, and I'm looking for a recommendation.

One of my mom's favorite scents is that of the clove cigarettes she smoked when she was young and wild ("But you should never smoke those! They're so bad for you!"). I would love to get her a perfume that reminds her of clove cigarettes, but there's a catch: she can't STAND sweet smells. Nothing too floral or fruity. She didn't wear perfumes at all for ages, because so many scents smelled too sweet to her, but she recently started wearing Jo Malone.

I've been looking through clove scents. Heitairae caught my eye, but I'm nervous about the sweet fig.

Sooo....help!

Three Witches: Warm cinnamon, husky clove and white pepper.

Pickled Imp: Cinnamon, clove, vanilla, and pine sap.

I used to smoke cloves, and I would say that pickled imp is the closest to the aroma... Three witches is a lil on the drier side and its gorgeous, but I think the vanilla in the P.I. makes it dead on for me....and I wouldnt really call it sweet.

I adore clove scents...I'll be watching this thread myself!!

I heartily second tragedy's recommendation of Pickled Imp - the cinnamon and clove together are divine with the slight sweetness of the vanilla.

Also, if you can hunt some down.. Velvet Bandito reminded me very much of clove cigarettes - Dust, tumbleweeds, cedar, and tobacco - even though clove isn't a listed note! It may be harder to find since it was a limited edition blend that came out in April this year, but a good search through the sales section of the forum might do the trick, I'd say it's worth buying a decant to try :smile:

I would get her a bottle of The Smiling Spider, for sure. It has lots of clove and no fruity-floral sweetness. A lot of people have said it smells like clove cigarettes to them as well. It's probably my favorite clove scent, and it ages really well.

I would get her a bottle of The Smiling Spider, for sure. It has lots of clove and no fruity-floral sweetness. A lot of people have said it smells like clove cigarettes to them as well. It's probably my favorite clove scent, and it ages really well.

Gee thanks Little Bird, like I need another scent to obsess over :lol:

That sounds awesome from the reviews, especially the "smells like clove cigarettes taste" part... I'm definately going to try to snag some myself, and cant believe I missed seeing it before!

Hetairae is a gorgeous scent and I do get lots of clove from it, but it is also pretty sweet from the fig and honey. And I may be an oddball, but Pickled Imp definitely falls in the "sweet" category on my skin - like all BPAL scents, YMMV (your mom's mileage may vary ;) ) but I thought I'd mention my experience. It seems like clove is in more BPAL scents with sweet and fruity notes than dry, tobacco-y or spicy ones, but there are a few - Malice and Dracul are two that came to mind.

The Smiling Spider definitely gets mentioned most often as the scent that's most like clove cigarettes.

Thank you all so much! It sounds like Smiling Spider is the way to go, though I'll keep my eyes open for samples of the others floating around. Y'all are veritable superheroes of scent.

Can someone reccomend a scent for those who missed Count Dracula and are unlikely to ever get their hands on any? (Specifically a Clove + Leather scent.) I've tried layering The Smiling Spider with the last bit of a (precioussss) De Sade imp and it's :thud:

I know about Perversion. I like Perversion, but that's actually more of a wine scent to me. Something just dark and leather-clovey is what I'm looking for. (tobacco, black musk, or reisens are welcome to appear too.)

Edited by patina

Can someone reccomend a scent for those who missed Count Dracula and are unlikely to ever get their hands on any? (Specifically a Clove + Leather scent.) I've tried layering The Smiling Spider with the last bit of a (precioussss) De Sade imp and it's :thud:

I know about Perversion. I like Perversion, but that's actually more of a wine scent to me. Something just dark and leather-clovey is what I'm looking for. (tobacco, black musk, or reisens are welcome to appear too.)

Dracul. It's pretty good (but it's no Smiling Spider. ;) ) No leather, but your clove, tobacco and black musk are present:

DRACUL

Named in honor of Vlad III, Tepes, of the Order of the Dragon. Black musk, tobacco, fir, balsam of peru, cumin, bitter clove, crushed mint, and orange blossom.

Something just dark and leather-clovey is what I'm looking for. (tobacco, black musk, or reisens are welcome to appear too.)

Not sure about the leather, but Port-Au-Prince had quite a strong clove scent on me. And no better time to buy it than right now, with wonderful BPAL donating the proceeds to disaster relief in Haiti.

It's quite a rich, masculine scent - didn't suit me personally, but it would be lovely on the right person.