Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Northernminx

White Rabbit

Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

In the imp and on me, White Rabbit smells like "BLLLLAAAAAACCKKK TEEEEAAAAAAA!" Not BLACK TEA or black tea or even black tea. It screams its presence. Which, if you had a passion for the stuff, could be awesome. It was just too strong for me, though. The linen only showed up with a whisper about two hours after application. Sadly, I never got any honey or vanilla at all.

Edited to add the official description.

Edited by Victory

A million thanks to whomever suggested this as a GC substitute for Milk Moon! I get an almost identical sweet creaminess from each of them, although White Rabbit does seem to have a soft hint of lemon in place of Milk Moon's peppermint. :P Lovely!

I'm so sad! I wanted to like this so much, and I've seen so many nice things written about it, but it just did not work on me.

I got the creaminess, and the tea-ness, but underneath it all? BANDAIDS.

Yes, it smelled like bandages on me. Creamy, sweet, tea-tinged bandages. And the scent only got stronger as it dried. I guess that's the linen. Ha. Oh well.

Edited by obliviate

Frimp luvn' :D

In the bottle: black tea, more specifically Earl Grey, with cram and honey and a little pepper. I can really smell the pepper in the bottle.

Wet: Earl Grey with cream and honey. The citrus note that I smell is the bergamot that flavors Earl Grey. That is really strong right now. The pepper is gone.

Dry down: Earl Grey with cream and honey, but my body amps anything percieved as citrus. The bergamot is really dancing out front right now. Honey is still there, and ginger has made a small supporting role.

30 minutes: Earl Grey, cream, honey, this stays true. Ginger, goes away again, pepper never comes back. It just seems to morph into a more sophisticated version of itself.

Over an hour: Earl Grey , cream, honey, and some element that brings the whole scent together. It is the linen I think. It makes it a sophisticated wonderful, scent.

Conclusion: I am definitely buying a bigger bottle in the future. Probably for Spring. This is a cool, refreshing, lovely scent.

Rating on my skin, this is a 5.

ETA: Because if I wrote "this stays true" one more time in regards to the actual oil, I would l have to smack myself. :P

Edited by atropos

I was looking forward to White Rabbit the most out of my first little order of imps.

I was not disappointed!

In the bottle, it's a lovely, creamy strong tea with a hint of lemon and sweetness. I am really picturing a whiteness, a sense of Englishness. A lovable, homely scent that's different and altogether endlessly intriguing.

On my skin the notes blend nicely and it sits well. There's a bit of green in it, it's all white kid gloves and flat manicured lawns and cast iron dining garden settings.

I love my tea and I love this scent!!! :P

i think i'm just not good with sweet scents. instead of smelling like tea with honey, this smells like someone forgot which substance they were supposed to be spooning into what container.

it smells like a jar of honey with a spoonful of tea in it. very nice, if you like honey - kind of like a spicier version of lush's honey products. not my thing, though.

This smells a little like laundry on first application, crisp and clean. As it dries, however, a note of tea creeps in, with a bit of lemon and ginger. It's not foody, but almost. I can smell the vanilla, but this isn't a sweet scent on me, and I don't get honey at all.

It's a fascinating scent, and I like it, but I can't see myself wearing it very much.

In the bottle: Black tea, vanilla, old-fashioned violet laundry soap. The laundry soap is probably meant to stand for the 'linen' scent.

On me: Tea. Yay, tea! Also, CURDLED FRICKIN' MILK. Boo. And the violets have turned to a faint black licorice smell. What bad craziness is going on here? The only reason I'm not washing it off right now is that I'm hoping the milk burns off. BLEARCH PLARTH BLOO.

Dry: Sweet black tea and a whiff of 'linen', i.e. violet soap flakes. The vanilla and milk both seem to have gone. It's much more palatable now, but I don't think it's me. I'm not going to wear it when I've got other tea scents that don't have to pass through the Hell of Funky Dairy on their way to smelling good.

Lobster Rating

Better than: stapling your thumb by mistake

Edited by Uploaded Lobster

This is amazing.

I love tea scents, but I haven't had much luck with them recently (Dorian was a mess on me).

This is the most unique BPAL I have tried. I wasn't sure what the linen note would be like, but it's just wonderful. Everything blends together in this so well. It also lasts a decent amount of time on the skin. Very nice.

I just got my new batch of imps from the lab (remarkably quickly, too :P ) and had to try White Rabbit right off the bat. I've wanted to try this scent since I started perusing the BPAL site.

Unfortunately, it doesn't like me. I don't get sweet, creamy tea with honey, ginger and pepper. I get wet cardboard and bandaids, both in the imp and on skin. Wow, is this ever not for me. I think it might be the honey crossed with the pepper. Honey seems to go all wacky on my skin. Bye bye, bunny - off to the swaps box for you.

Ugh. I got this one as a frimp though I'd never ever ever desired it, so I guess I can chalk it up to "c'est la vie." At first it was bright lemon--quite like Holiday Moon, actually--with a creamy undertone, but literally seconds after hitting my skin it was milk. Like whole milk, with all the butterfat.

I hate milk. I can't stand the smell of it, the taste of it, the feel of it on my tongue. Any milk with more than 2% butterfat makes me sick, and I can only drink what's left over when it's so cold it shocks the teeth.

If you're looking for milk, this is definitely it. It's the all-milk-all-the-time party station. But as for me, milk=retching. There's a very pretty spicy flower (like carnation, though there's no carnation in it--maybe ginger+pepper+honey?), but the buttery milk smell makes my stomach hurt. This is obviously a case of chemistry/quality/ingredients not being a problem--I just can't stand milk.

My roommate had an imp of this months ago. I used it ONCE, and was hooked. Finally got my bottle of it recently.

Bottle: The tea, ginger, and linen smell absolutely gorgeous. Very clean, but pretty.

Wet: The pepper comes out to join the tea and ginger, but the linen has disappeared. Spicy and clean.

Drydown: The linen comes back, and its just a very lovely blend. Very professional, something I would definitely wear in the office.

Scent in bottle: Ginger, honey, and pepper, with a hint of cool vanilla. Mmmmmm... I was a bit worried about the vanilla, but it's not overly sweet.

Scent on me:

Wet-- I smell sort of like a cookie. No pepper anymore, just a sort of vague gingery sweetness. Not bad, per se, but I'm going to start chewing on my wrist if I keep smelling like this.

Dry-- There's the tea! I really like this scent now...it's dried to a warm, sweet spiciness with some sort of sharp tannins in the back, and it's lost its food character. I'm still not actually sure if I want me to smell like this, though.

More Dry -- Ok, it's done this thing on me...I can't identify any element that's individually something I dislike, but it's indescribably unpleasant. Make it go away . . .

Such saddness :-( Normally ginger and honey do glorious things on me. Maybe it's the linen or tea that's turning so weird? It's too foody to work as a room scent for me.

Imp

This smells like a spill in my kitchen. First something strong mixed with pepper dashed over milk or cream. My impression is foody, yet a clash of two dominate food notes.

Wet

The milk/cream scent is unnerving. It throws me for such a suprise. I do not really smell much more other than creamy and soft, hidden ginger.

I have tried tea scents before from BPAL, but this one is far much stronger and far much darker.

Dry

I did not make it this far. I had this on for about 10 minutes before I had to wash it off. When I first received the imp, something in it made me feel sick. I WAS sick so I shrugged it off. I have been feeling like I am going to vomit for the last 10 minutes and it is from the smell.

This does not agree with me at all. Pity because it sounded so good.

I like this a lot. I smell the pepper and the less sweet notes in the bottle more than on my skin, but it's lovely on my skin too. No linen on drydown or while dry, but after it's dry I can smell the honey, vanilla, pepper, and tea. Not the ginger so much. I layered it with Dragon's Milk since I like that a lot too but it was a bit sweet. That turned out nicely - those two share some notes and on my skin they complimented each other well.

It definitely smells like a tea party with crisp white linen tablecloths and a variety of spicy and sweet smells.

Hmmm, interesting. It's a very unusual scent, even by BPAL standards. And there really is something in it that smells like clean laundry -- not sure what that could be! Mostly, though, it's kind of a dry herbal tea scent with just a bit of sweetness, and a touch of spice.

I haven't entirely sorted out whether I like tea as a scent. I love tea to drink and have a cup everpresent on my desk pretty much all day and night. But as a scent on me, it just seems a little... odd. Not sure why.

The one thing I kept thinking while sniffing this one was that it was probably a scent I would like to smell on my clothes or sheets more than on me. It's kind of like if you gave your laundry a final rinse with ginger tea.

It also fades down fairly quickly, though the remaining soft, barely-there scent is quite nice and lingers for a while at that low level.

All in all, not bad, and enough different than any of my other scents that I don't think I want to swap it away just yet even though I'm not sure it's really "me". The only thing that I've ever smelled that's been at all similar was Sudha Segara and I think I like this a little bit better than that.

I guess the Rabbit and I need to get a little bit better acquainted before any final decisions are made.

Grade: B or B-, not sure.

Why I tried it: I like tea scents and love honey and some of the other notes.

In the bottle and wet: OMG Latex? Kink fans rejoice.

Drying down: No seriously, this smells like a dental dam. And while I hate dentists, I have some good associations with dental dams. Be that as it may, I don't want to smell like one.

Dry, later: Still smells like latex. Not a keeper.

The second I put White Rabbit on my skin, it smelled like sour milk.

After a half hour, it was sour milk and pepper. And yeast. Yeast. At that point I washed it off before I started smelling like an abandoned bakery.

Honestly, I really wanted to love White Rabbit. I love tea scents, and the idea of smelling like clean sheets is so unique and charming! Unfortunately was not meant to be. Either there was something seriously wrong with this batch, or there is something seriously wrong with the way that the lab's milk note interacts with my skin.

In the bottle: The black pepper comes right out. I can smell something sweet behind it, but the pepper is distracting.

On, wet: White Rabbit smells like tea and black pepper. Isn't that something? I'm not sure how I feel about this combo.

Dry: Powder, linen, and I'm getting apricots on the drydown. Odd.

White Rabbit is an eccentric oil. I can see this working best on warm spring days. Like a previous reviewer, though, I think I'll have to consider this a little more before forming an opinion.

***EDIT*** Well, I've considered it! There were so many rave reviews for this oil that I wanted to give it a chance but the pepper just never blended with the other notes and the end result was a discordant and distracting scent. I ended up trashing two imps of this stuff. It's probably a personal chemistry thing, though.

Edited by Precis

This is Dorian's lighter little brother. Initially, it smells almost the same, although not quite as sugary-sweet as Dorian. On, the sweetness fades back a little and mingles delightfully with the clean linen scent, which gives an almost floral balance to the foodiness of the tea/honey/vanilla. I'm loving this one. It doesn't have a lot of throw, though. I may have to invest in an atomizer for it if I make a big bottle purchase, which seems likely. A pity the ginger and pepper aren't making themselves more evident on me. I had hoped for something chai-like. I've heard Baghdad smells like chai. I'll have to try that next order.

Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

In the imp: Something floral, although I can't place it. Something sweet and creamy, and sharp tea.

On: WOW! My skin amp'ed the sweet stuff (I think it was the honey, because at this point I have yet to smell the vanilla), to a very loud level, and then mellowed out within a minute.

Five minutes later: The vanilla comes through (nice choice, Beth), it's not the gaggy vanilla that seems to plague cheap candles. This is like sticking your face into a jar of vanilla beans. yum!

The honey is soft in the backround, finished by mellow tea, and a sharp note of white pepper.

I really didn't want to like this blend, but I do. It makes me feel twitchy, so I think I'll reserve it for those days I can't seem to wake up.

Verdict: I wanna bottle!

This came as an frimp from the lab and as much as I don't need another tea/vanilla scent. But, it truly is:

This is Dorian's lighter little brother.

And since I just adore Dorian a bottle of White Rabbit will make its way into my possession.

In the Imp - Vanilla, tea, and light floral back note

On my Skin Wet - Ginger and black tea with a little vanilla

On my skin Dry - Creamy vanilla tea with linen

This is too fruity/floral for me even though fruits and florals aren't listed :P It is also a bit sweet and headache making on me.

I *can* smell tea if I push my nose to my wrist, but its sweet milky tea and I like my tea black and fragrant. I also get a hint of the pepper. I can't however smell the linen which is a shame.

White Rabbit certainly isn't unpleasant, but its really not me which is a shame as I liked the concept!

Off to swaps Mr Rabbit.