Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Gingerbread thickened with molasses and patchouli, spiced with Snake oil, and frosted with sugared vanilla bean.

Edited by Jenjin

I was excited and a bit worried to get this one. The description online mentions a muskiness, (which I am not a fan of) but had to have it. When I first sniffed it, I got a huge blast of musk with a drop of S.O. in there somewhere! I let it rest a couple days and then gave it a try. It is so amazing! The musk is there but it is in the background. I think it adds to the gingerbread and molasses. This stayed on me all day and I kept getting whiffs of it! The vanilla keeps it a bit tame, but this is a bit more on the strong side and I think it will get richer the longer it sits. Very happy I got a bottle!

Edited by Numanoid

I slathered this one, and definitely had a moment of "oops, that was a mistake" when all I could smell was the patchouli but the gingerbread has become much more pronounced and the sugared vanilla bean is in there. Altogether, it's almost effervescent, incredibly beautiful, spicy and warm. A very comforting scent--if I went to hug someone who was wearing this, I would probably find myself pressing in closer. 

I am not a huge Snake Oil fan, but this is a lovely variant, and I am thrilled I picked it up. I think this will age very nicely and be even better next year.

If you remember and love original Snake Oil, this should bring a smile to your face, as it does for me. Ah. There you are! Original Snake Oil with a touch of gingerbread. There is thankfully no crazy red musk vibe here (as there has been in the Snow Snake variations) and I very much enjoyed my first wear of this. 

Eta how I love reading reviews after mine and how wildly different we all are! Unless there's a variation or mispour...

Edited by HerbGirl

Wet, this is very heavy on the patchouli and Snake Oil musk. As it dries, the gingerbread spices take over and the vanilla peeks out more. I like BPAL's gingerbread note, and that's the same gingerbread here. It's not just a blast of cinnamon and nutmeg, which turns into the same boring disaster on my skin. The molasses grounds the spices, making it smell like an actual cookie.

Snake Oil goes very well with the gingerbread, but right now the Snake Oil is a bit too raw and unbalanced for this to be a favorite for me. I think in a few months, this will be incredible, especially if the vanilla gets stronger.

Freshly applied: a blast of ginger and patchouli, and then Snake Oil with a touch of molasses right behind it. All I smell is the spice; I don't really get any cookie/pastry out of this until much later into the drydown stage. At that point, it's basically Snake Oil with extra ginger and a little molasses.

I do get the red musk - with the caveat that I amp red musk in general - but it subsides fairly quickly. The patchouli is still quite present, though,

This is one that I'm going to have to put away and test every six months for a couple of years and see what changes - I have a dodgy relationship with Snake Oil in general, and have found that if I'm gonna like it, it needs at least two years of age.

I really love my 2013 Gingerbread Snake and even though the description is different this time, I knew I needed at least one bottle of this! So as a comparison, trying to think of this without the aging factor of my 2013, this version is heavier on the Snake Oil. I get a lot of gorgeous Snake Oil, with a bit of gingerbread showing up on the drydown. The OG is much more gingery, and if I recall correctly, was also heavier on the initial blast of ginger. This is gorgeous and I'm certain it will age well too. If you love Snake Oil and gingerbread, you will love this. Even though I still have some backup bottles of the 2013, I will definitely order at least one more bottle of this before Yules come down.

This snek is stronk! The oil itself is an alarming opaque orange, the color of the label. The musk is indeed prominent right from the start, which is lovely if you are a fan of the SO musk, as I am. Throw in dark sticky molasses and gingerbread spice, and well, it's a delight all the day long. 

Gingerbread Cabin enters the battlefield tapped unless you control three or more other Forests. And as it happens, you do have in your possession many forests, woodlands, and thickets across the wilds of Eldraine. All redolent with resinous pine snap and earthy blankets of fallen leaves beneath verdant canopies of fir. So untapped it is then, in which case, when Gingerbread Cabin enters the battlefield untapped,  a Food Token is created. I have no idea what the Food Token does, I only remember seeing the Grimms fairy tale-inspired commercials for this particular MtG set, but I imagine it smells like this: a warm, cozy gingerbread house drizzled in vanilla bean glaze, its spicy walls mingling with the patchouli’s woody whisper, lying in wait under a sky of cinnamon stars and clove-studded moons.

It's been a long time since I've smelled fresh Snake Oil in any form (like, mine is the bottom third of a 10ml bottle long), and so I can't really say if the sort of cherry cola vibe I'm getting from this is mostly that or if it's the gingerbread being weird. This is a very sort of bright and aggressive perfume right now--I don't get any of the notes strongly on an individual level except a bit of patchouli, once the initial sort of cherry fizziness dies down. It doesn't last super long on me either. I don't get a lot of spice, or vanilla. It's not bad, just not very interesting. I'm basically going to tuck it away for at least a year and see how it goes. 

I can barely smell the Snake Oil in this. I have Gingerbread Snake and this Snek is different: the patchouli and musk are most prominent, and the gingerbread smells like almost pure cinnamon to me. Which means that this blend smells very much like Gingerbread Sin to my nose. In fact, if I hadn’t known this was a Snake Oil blend, I would have guessed it was a new version of Gingerbread Sin. If you need more Gingerbread Sin or have wanted to try it, give Gingerbread Snek a try. I’ll be interested to see if the two blends continue to smell so similar once this one ages. 

Edited by lucycat

I’m getting rootbeer Snake Oil, oddly enough…. Take a root beer, remove the fizz and replace with musk, maybe an extra shot of vanilla, sure.
Not sure what to think, what to do, so I’m going to stash this bottle for while. May time heal all wonkiness, and transform this soda into gingerbread. 

Can confirm, this is not Gingerbread Snake Oil but a gingerbready patch seasoned with a bit of SO. 🧡  In the bottle the oil is an opaque yellowish-orange as opposed to the deeper, reddish-chestnut tint of the classic Snake Oil. On the skin, I get a gingery patchouli musk that leans airy as opposed to sticky. The frosted vanilla bean wafts and weaves, still a little shy and not at the forefront. The ginger itself is lively, like chewing into a piece of crystallized ginger and does so without smelling medicinal or soapy. If you were hoping for a Snake Oil blend with a bit of ginger on the side, this is the inverse. The patchouli isn’t gnarly, it plays deliciously well with the rootier qualities of the ginger. This is more of a ginger-musk patch blend than a molasses heavy baked good, the spice doesn’t feel too fiery to me. I’m looking forward to seeing this bottle age, will probably revisit and wear next year like with most SO variants. It does tend to separate and settle so make sure to swirl the bottle prior to application. Throw med, longevity ~6hrs

Oh no

The first comparison that comes to mind is Gingerbread Sin. Same dry but decadent red musk and patchouli with gingerbread. But this has a sweet molasses edge with vanilla frosting. It's a bit cola like,  which I'm absolutely a sucker for. Like rootbeer but deeper, more complex. And there are cookies. Candied ginger. This is the dark foodie blend of my dreams. I want to snuggle under a blanket with this. A cold weather blend for sure.

This is amazing. This is the best Snake Oil blend I've tried in a while. It might be too strong for some situations but otherwise I love it.

Edited by patina

This is an instant love for me. I'm wearing it right now, and I smell like Cottagecore. Someone who got tired of the city, and bought an Alpaca farm in the woods. Romping the countryside with velvet fur hounds, filling my blog with perfect photos highlighting the Queen Anne Victorian gingerbread houses I create, all while writing a book about Dark Academia. Occasionally I ride my leather lined Fiat convertible back to the city and invite lovers to my wild woods for a nuzzle beside the fire ( and to nosh gingerbread). It's good, it's VERY good and after some years it will be iconic. 

Edited by Jenjin

To my nose, this is A LOT of Snake Oil & red musk with the tiniest hint of gingerbread. I'm not mad at it, because I like all of those things, but if you're looking for a **gingerbread** scent, this isn't for you. 

Maybe I'm becoming immune to red musk after testing Wooden Alchemical Lab but this is much less red musk on me. I definitely get it in the bottle, but on it quickly becomes a dry, earthy-patchy Gingerbread.  I get a little of the SO vibe in the background but this is hella gingerbread on me.  I think my skin amps those types of notes, because every gingerbread-adjacent scent I've ever tried always turns into Totally Not Evil Bakery Witch Living In a Gingerbread Cottage on me.  (No children were harmed in the making of this review.)

I've given Gingerbread Snek plenty of time to rest and I've worn it several times now and it just doesn't smell right to me.  I should love this, but it turns very sour and dry.  For the gingerbread part, I only smell sharp, dry spices (like an intensely sharp cinnamon and nutmeg more than ginger), and I'm not getting anything that I normally associate with Snake Oil.  There's an earthy, woody, sour, patchouli-ish note that dries down like pencil shavings and there's a dirty, sweaty, quality to it that really bothers me, but neither of those components smell like the patchouli or musk that I associate with Snake Oil.

Pencil shavings, sweaty musk, and sharp, dry, powdered spice. 

Edited by Little Bird