Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Cake Smash

Red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting against a backdrop of Snake Oil, Dorian, and Doc Constantine!

At first I smelled the cake, much like Beaver Moon 05, which didn't work on me. Then the cake faded really fast and I was left with a somewhat sour underlying scent which I imagine is the Dorian and Snake Oil and Doc Constantine mix. In fact, I'm smelling the pine in Doc Constantine that I usually get, so it's like cake with pine underneath :ack:

Cake Smash

Bottle: OMG CREAM CHEESE ICING. I am so happy.

Wet: Cream cheese and chocolate and spice. Yum.

Fifteen minutes: Cream cheese, chocolate, and creamy spice. Maybe that's the dorian amber I'm getting, that creamy vanilla? Much more complex than just EAT YOUR ARM.

Thirty minutes: Lots and lots of spice, could get soapy, but all is tempered by a creamy, sweet, musky amber-vanilla. A little bit of chocolate and a big fat melty base of butter. Decent throw, still! Not quite as foody as it is fresh, thank goodness.

Fourty-five minutes: Is that the cream cheese coming back? Somewhere deep under the baked goodness, I think the butter is turning to cream cheese. Bits of butter / cream cheese sweetness keep wafting up to me.

Cannot. Stop. Huffing. Arm.

Hour: Still sweet creamy cream cheesey frosting goodness. I'm sure there's more serious perfume notes in there somewhere, but all I'm getting is the best birthday party ever with a decent throw. The amber / golden / white muskiness is definitely present at this point, but all the sugar is keeping it from being too dour.

Now the question--2 bottles or 3?

Ohhh- I like!

At first it is this YUMMY, realistic, nommable cake with cream cheese frosting (as everyone else says). Makes my mouth water.

After a few moments, I can smell the snake oil/dorian/constantine mix developing from underneath it and totally confusing my nose. It smells sharp and piney mostly.

But THEN, only about ten minutes later, I get whiffs of vanilla cake. When I sniff my arm I get strange spiciness that doesn't really remind me of snake oil (unless its only a drop becase SO goes medicinal on me and this does not) or Dorian and it doesn't smell like pine either so I'm not sure what this is but it almost smells like gingerbread and wood shavings. Maybe it is the DC.

But from a distance this is still beautiful, vanilla cake and while not strong, the wafts come from the strangest angles lol. I swear it smells like its near my face but my arm is actually down or I'll think its something I tried on my other arm. A very strange, sneaky scent. I'll have to see how this wears on a full day's trial. I'm worried the wood shavings will take over but as long as that stays close to my skin I don't mind.

If it does then I'll keep my decant and use it in a locket :yum:

Ok, so I knew this scent and I were meant to be. Oh yes. This is lovely, lovely cake. With a hint of Dorian and Snake Oil. That's really all I need to say. I need another bottle...or two.

This is a nicer version of Beaver Moon 2005! BM '05 made my stomach turn after a while. Cake Smash has the same, super delicious cake and cream cheese notes but with a background of "something else" (which is the Snake Oil, Dorian and Doc Constantine) to make it more wearable for me. There's a nice gentle hint of spice on the dry down from the Dorian. So pretty!

This is a foody dream scent...sweet and delicious without being cloying and obnoxious. I wasn't expecting to love this one as much as I do. :wub2:

This one is a huge morpher on me. And it's wonderful! I should preface this with the note that I do NOT generally go for foody scents. I don't like smelling like anything one would eat, it just doesn't appeal.

On first applying Cake Smash, I get a woosh of frosting and cupcakes a la Beaverversary/Beaver Moon 05. It settles quite quickly and almost immediately all trace of food is gone and all I can smell is Doc Constantine. After about 45 minutes to an hour, Snake Oil comes out in full force, and soon after takes on a bit of a foody tinge. Except it's not JUST Snake Oil, and I can still smell the Doc. About 3 hours in Dorian shows up. It's a really great mix of the three scents on me, with the sweetness of the Snake Oil complementing the ruggedness of the Doc, tempered with the smoothness of Dorian. The red velvet cupcakes and frosting aren't overly pronounced here, with the exception of the very beginning. I really like this, a lot actually. More than I ever thought I was going to. I may need to hunt down a bottle, I can see this being a comfort scent.

I love red velvet cake, and this isn't just any red velvet cake, it's the red velvet cake. This blend takes foody to a whole new sexy height! You definitely get the delicious cake and gobs of cream cheese frosting (drooling yet?) but the harmoniously mixed backdrop of Dorian, Doc Constantine and Snake Oil make it not just tempting in a food-craving sense but also very enticing. If you're going out on a date and you want him to wish he could eat you alive, this is THE scent to wear! :wub2:

I've been collecting BPAL for about a year and a half now, and this is the first scent of which I absolutely NEED to buy a second bottle. I can't even describe it perfectly -- it really is the scent of walking into a bakery stocked with freshly baked red velvet cupcakes, layered with crisply sweet cream cheese icing. I can't stop sniffing myself... I'm pretty sure that my co-worker thinks I'm insane.

That is some serious yummy yummy cake. Eventually the sugar fades down and the other scents come through. Nice!

In the bottle: CAAAAKE. Reminds me a lot of Huesos de Santos. I also get a hint of cream cheese frosting too.

On, wet: whoa-aa, I'm not sure how to describe this. There's cake, but that's far from all. It's sweet and chocolatey, but also... incense-y? I could swear there's a little tobacco lurking in here.

On, dry: cake and the memory of incense. Really beautiful.

Throw: good! It's not overwhelmingly strong, but still far from faint.

Duration: not as long as some BPALs. I get about 3 hours of the main scent, then about 6 hours of a faint after-scent. Still good.

Overall thoughts: Lilith Victoria was a total surprise smash hit for me-- it's probably my second favorite BPAL of all time, after Sleepy Moon. I'm not sure how much of what I like in LV is the combination of Snake Oil and Dorian (neither of which I've tried plain), but I was willing to take a gamble on Cake Smash in the hopes that it would be a similar success.

And I'm pleased to say that it IS just as successful for me. :) This has a similar base to LV (surprise!) but is more foodie and, I swear, incensey on me.

I can imagine this would be like what the cake smashing smelled like!

I do get all of the seperate scents, the cake, the cream cheese frosting, dorian predominately on the throw, snake oil adding spicy and a slight bit of doc constantine.

Its lovely... Its lilith victoria for foodies, and while Im not a foodie person (hubby is, thats why I got this) this is one I can definately love!!!

Very nice!!

My only gripe is it fades super-fast.. I will definately be making this into a spray ;D

Edited by tragedy

Delicious, decadent vanilla cake and cream cheese, just like Beaver Moon. The precious complimentary notes dance and swirl within the wonderful cake goodness - a lovely way to add complexity to the scent. I can't say that I pick out Dorian or Snake Oil noticeably, but there is something more going on here than just Beaver Moon goodness, and it's fabulous. Somehow deeper, darker, and more addictive.

I :evol: the way that Beth does this cake note - it doesn't gross me out with cloying fake plastic icky yuck like many vanilla/cake blends tend to do.

It's been on for 5 hours and still has great throw. Yum!

Shoots straight up towards the top of my Favorite BPAL's list!

5 out of 5

I wasn't sure about this one at first because Dorian always turns to sugary plastic on me, and I have not tried Doc Constantine before. I'm glad I gave it a shot, because OMGCAKE!

In the vial: CAKE CAKE CAKE (and frosting)

Wet: CAKE AND FROSTING OMG

Drydown: Starting to get the SO, Dorian, and DC peeking through the sugar

Dry: Lovely blend of the perfumes and the cake/frosting scent. Decent throw, and lasts really well.

I really like this, though I can't see myself wearing it all the time. I'm thinking that one decant will do me just fine :).

Well hello Beaver'versary! I had high hopes for this one to be a non-foody foody with the Snake Oil and Dorian, but sadly all I get is something pretty similar to Beaver'versary, but with less cream cheese. I sure hope the other notes come with a bit of time. Overall, this blend is far to sweeet for me. :(

Hallelujah, a scent with Snake Oil that isn't all Snake Oil! When I read the notes I was really concerned since Snake Oil is really unfortunate on me and drowns out other notes in a blend, but it doesn't show up at all. All I smell in the bottle, wet, and dry, is the cream cheese frosting. I agree, it is very much like Beaver'Versary. For about five seconds after I apply the scent to my skin I smell what must be the Doc Constantine, but it's almost immediately swallowed up. The cream cheese frosting is delish (I for one hope the SO, Dorian and DC don't ever show up in my bottle) and I'm very pleased. I think I may like this a teeny bit more than Beavery'Versary, but since I do have the Beaver, I don't need a second bottle of this.

Well, thanks to the One BPAL a day for the month thread, I decided to do more than just sniff the bottle of this...and I'm glad I did.

This started out very REDVELVETCAKECREAMCHEESEFROSTING! on me, but that stage didn't last long... On drydown, it's not at all the foody scent I was expecting, and not cloyingly sweet (as I also feared). I definitely get incense...like the smell of a room after someone has burned incense, not like sniffing a stick of it. The cake is very lightly mingled in with that, and adds just a touch of sweetness. I am actually a bit sad I never skin tested this before today...it's so lovely, and I'm not allowed to wear it for the rest of the month. :sad:

I really love this. I don't usually go for foodie, but I had to get this because it's the Bean's 1st birthday and my favorite cake is red velvet.

So, the initial impression that I get after applying is a sort of dusty earthy cake with the frosting, but then the Snake Oil, Dorian and Doc Constantine begin to enter the picture. I would have been perfectly happy with just the red velvet cake, but I just love how the other scents mingle with one another. It ends up to be not so foody, but as a rather complex Snake Oil with a touch of cocoa.

I'm short on money these days, so I had considered settling for only a decant of this, but I am so glad that I sprang for a full bottle. I just love it, as I seem to love all of the Snake Oil blends.

The bottle is too cute! I was excited just by that. The scent itself really is lovely. Cake, without being grossly overwhelming. At first it was very sugar sweet frosting then it soften a bit and became cake mixed with a cream cheese and lemon icing. I don't know why lemon...but I swear it was very soft in the background. A lot of scent have been turning lemon on me, but not sour lemon, more a sweet sugared lemon so I really like that.(is that Dorian, I don't know much about it but isnt that a tea scent?) The staying power of the scent is very good to which I like, most things my skin tends to eat them, but not this! :D I am glad this is a part of my collection and will be wearing often.

To me, this is the quintessential birthday scent!

Wet, it smelled very much like sugary icing. Not something I'd particularly like to eat, but a totally nostalgic scent, nevertheless.

Dry, it instantly became a perfect replica of YELLOW CAKE BATTER! How exciting! It reminds me of the dilemma I have every time I make a cake--cook it or eat the batter! It smells super yummy and lasts a really long time...it left me wishing I'd ordered more!

At first, it smelled like Eat Me without the currants/raspberry glaze. Then it turned into Snake Oil and I guess Doc Constantine + a little cream cheese frosting, that vanilla powdery-tangy subtle sweetness...plus some dirt. I get the same earthy scent as I did with Beaver'versary, except this time it's not taking over, thankfully--it eventually dries down. I think there's a slight bit of--cassia? in this? I guess to simulate the cream cheese frosting, but I tend to amp spices and while the spice isn't apparent, the fume hurts my nose a bit.

Mostly earthy, a deep vanilla, chocolate cake combo with something spicy/sour/creamy tickling my nose at the top. More like raw cake dough than anything else.

It's...all right, but either the blend itself is kind of wonky or it's not playing super well with my chemistry. I think it'd get better with aging, but at this point, I wish I just had a bottle of Eat Me instead.

Edited by cinderfallen

Oh, WOW. This is rich and sweet and cakey and warm. It's not super-creamy, but usually cream ends up plastic on me, so that's good. The Snake Oil lends a nice spiciness to the blend, but I can't really separate anything else out. I really like this, though--I'll definitely have to hunt a bottle down now.

I like Dorian. I do not like Snake Oil. I have never smelled Doc Constantine. But I love me some foodie scents, I do I do.

However, Cake Smash was amazingly strong on me, and from just the tiniest of drops. It's a delicious scent, I can smell that, but it did a great job of giving me a headache, and even after scrubbing twice with water, salt, soap, and a nail brush, the scent is just as true on my arm as it was when I tried it on.

I love the bottle art and think Lilith is an absolute doll - I wanted to keep this one so badly! Alas, it was not meant to be.

This scent is awesome. Not much to add to what's been said. It smells like cake-my friend commented on that before she knew the name of it. I can definitely smell Dorian in it, which is great because that's one of my favorite scents. I think Cake Smash will also be great for layering, and I'm going to try some tonight. If cake appeals to you, or you're a Dorian fan, don't hesitate to try this. I'm sure it will age well, as a bonus.

Cake Smash is pure deliciousness. On the surface, it's pure cream cheese frosting and sugary goodness, but there's a warmth and spiciness beneath that grounds the scent enough to keep it from giving me the sinus equivalent of a toothache. Up close, it has that herbs-and-tobacco Snake Oil thing going (which might also be the Doc Constantine, although I've never smelled that one), but as soon as you get farther out what wafts around is vanilla and cream cheese and cake, and it's pure magic. I find myself reaching for it every time I'm in the mood for something comforting, and I'm just sorry I never ordered another bottle while they were still available. I have a feeling I'll use every last drop.

Also, the bottle art is absolutely adorable. What a cutie!

This is amazing. It's definitely cake with cream cheese frosting, but I can definitely smell Dorian in there! :thud:

It's smooth and warm and spicy and I'm having trouble pulling out individual notes, but I can say for certain that I absolutely LOVE IT.

I must hunt down a bottle of this. Now. :love!: