Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Nonae Caprotina

The Nones of the Wild Fig, held on the 7th of July and celebrated only by women, is a festival of fertility honoring Juno Caprotina. Both goats and figs are sacred to Juno in this aspect, goats being notoriously randy, and figs being prolifically seedy. The milky sap of the fig tree also links to the concept of fertility, and to Juno as Mother Goddess.

The scent is of goat’s milk, ripe fig, and a hint of sweet myrrh.

Please note: no goats were milked in the process of creating this scent. It is an accord, and this scent is vegan.

This is a straightfoward scent as it smells like a combination of the stated notes.

A certain warm creaminess, a certain dark fruity lushness and a certain mysterious bite from the myrrh. Ultimately, the Fig is the predominant note.

For me, the Goat's milk is not like any other BPAL cream or milk scent. Less cloying and more pungent.

If I had to pick out another BPAL to compare the Goat Milk accord to, it'd be what I remember of the most recent Milk Moon.

This strikes me more as an autumn or cool weather perfume because even though it's fairly light for something that features "milk" and "fig" it's got more of a warming quality that draws one inward.

This isn't sweet at all. Definitely unisex.

Sort of reminds me of bath/skin products. Not because it smells clean or soapy in any way but because it comes across as a traditional high end Fig moisturizer and soap. Like how Coconut/Vanilla blends do the same for me at times. If I knew how to make soap, I'd use half of this in a batch of soap and the other half in some moisturizer. Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

Initial unsniffed impression: I'm not sure about the goat's milk, but I'm on a myrrh kick so I'm very intrigued by this.

In the bottle: Whoa, this baby smells strong! Very strongly goat's milk. It's amazing how much this really smells like goat's milk, they nailed it with this accord. It is, as Heavenlyrabbit says above, pungent. It's a great word to describe it. There is a hint of fig too, but the milk is superstrong.

Wet on skin: The milk immediately moves back a bit to let the fig through. It's ripe, plump, sugary fig. The myrrh comes forward now to give it a rich depth. I never can smell myrrh in bottles or imps, it's like a secret note that only appears when applied to my skin. This loses it's sour edge and comes together beautifully.

Drydown: Wow, this is gorgeous. It's warm and delicious. The fig is delightfully sugary and the myrrh is sweet and rich and hypnotic. Myrrh is my new favorite note. the milk note is not so prominent anymore, it just blends in and it all comes together so nicely.

Overall: Very happy with this. Definitely glad I bought my bottle. Once again myrrh comes throguh for me. I'm in love. :wub2: So far this update has been full of win.

This perfume oil has an unique scent. Upon opening the bottle, I was greeted with a strong milk scent. I am not sure what the milk scent is made of, but I was unsure how it would do on my skin.

I was pleasantly surprised though. The milk is very solid and not too buttery or sweet. It hangs on, the fig and myrrh stay in the back of it, but add a nice fresh note to the mixture. I have a hard time finding words to describe this scent. It is cream, like warm spicy fresh cream sitting in the summer sun, fresh milked with a fig tree hanging overhead. It also reminds me of a creamy cocktail, I am thinking a spicy White Russian. I also had a Milk lotion from H2O+ that has a similar scent, though without the spice and fruit.

I am not sure if it would be for everyone. I could see how some people might get spoiled milk, due to their skin chemistry. It is so unusual, I would suggest swapping for a sample first before buying a bottle. I tend to gravitate to the perfume oils that aren't usual or sweet, so this is perfect for me.

It lasts a long time. I put in on in the beginning of the evening and didn't go to bed until 3am and it was still very noticeable on my wrists and behind the ears. It does morph on me from strong milk to milk with fig, the sugar of the fig coming through after 3-4 hours of wear. It makes the milk smell deeper, the sugary fig, by 3-4 hours on me, the spicy myrrh is gone. Which is ok by me.

It reminds me a lot of Juno and Bacchus, or Pater Liber. I am very happy that BPAL makes a lot of perfume oils based on Roman ritual, because I use them both as perfume and in rituals around the festival day. It gives a deeper meaning to the oil. The artwork on the bottle is cute, it has a goat on it, bedecked in flowers.

I love the label art on this, but am less keen on the actual scent...

The most straightforward description I can come up with: Muddy butter swirled with dark, sticky fruit. Unfortunately, the butter smells almost like it's gone off, adding an oddly sour, almost rancid overtone. If it's my chemistry doing this, my nose is involved as well -- I get the same weird combination just sniffing the bottle as well as on my skin.

It's *possible* I should've just let the bottle sit longer after being in transit, so I'll try this again in another few days. I'm not real hopeful, though.

I have to echo the other reviewers and say this is heavy, buttery goat's milk. Unlike any other cream or milk note I've ever smelled from the lab. Barely sweetened and lightened by fig. The myrrh just comes out to warm up the fragrance but overall, it's the goat's milk that makes the scent.

I'm really unsure about it, honestly. I think I'll let it sit for a while and come beck and re-test.

I was so happy to get this one...finally a milk scent I can actually smell and that works with my skin chemistry. This is warm, frothy, slightly sour goat's milk straight from the goat...don't expect a sweet milk scent. It's very evocative and authentic. Very earthy. Once the milk settles down a bit, I can smell the fig, but it's very well behaved and very subtle...not too fruity or overly sticky sweet, but enough to balance out the sourness of the milk, making it perfect. I'm sure the myrrh is doing something, I just can't pin it down. I see this as a fall scent because for some strange reason, I think of ripe figs in the fall. Agree with the others that this is probably a cool weather scent, but I wore it today, which was hot, and once I warmed up, I was enveloped in this wonderful cloud of milky figness. I like unique and unusual scents, and this fits the bill. Has lots of throw on me and lasts a good long time. It won't be for everyone, but this is fast becoming one of my faves. Worth a try for those that like unique scents. Will update if I get any "I smell goat" comments.... :lol:

This is a fairly light scent on me, definitely a skin scent. It's sweet and ever so slightly sour, with a earthy fruit note. The milk note in it is very similar to the one in Ichabod Crane to me.. including the sourness. But where that one turns my stomach a little bit, this is a more straightforward scent-- fewer notes competing for your attention so you end up smelling like a freshly scrubbed baby :lol:

I got mostly the goat's milk (like a cream, only a musky edge to it), when I was hoping for more fig. It kind of made me smell like a cookie. Very soft, was much more foody than I was expecting. It's still nice, and I'd be interested to see how it smells on a guy.

I am just loving this. I got it mostly for the Goat theme; fig and myrrh are favorites, but I don't typically like milk scents. However, this isn't typical.

The fig and myrrh balance eachother wonderfully, almost as if they're a single note, and the milk adds just a gentle sweetness.

Throw is light to moderate, fading to close-to-skin by the end of the day.

I'm trying not to buy second bottles of stuff, but at the rate I'm using this one . . .

the day i got this in the post, of course i was compelled to try it instantly. however, it seemed too "fresh" somehow, and i decided i'd give it a little bit of time to blend itself together a bit. it's been about 8, 9 days, so i'm ready to do this for realz...

in the bottle: goat's milk and fig in equal measure. not the usual cream, this has the 'sour' note of goat's milk. i'm intrigued.

wet on skin: still with the mix of the two. i've yet to get any myrrh.

dry down: remind me somehow of soap. like, high quality, thrice milled french soap, smelling of garden plants, but without actually being soapy.

in all: light to medium throw, i get no myrrh, just a soft even mix of fig and goat's milk. i don't find that it smells like the most recent Milk Moon the way other folks have, but this is absolutely a summer scent- it would disappear in cold weather. i will love my bottle for all it's worth, but i don't think i'll be getting a backup or anything.

Okay.... I will come back and edit this into a real review in a day or so, but-- just to vent my excitement--

I bought a decant of Nonae Caprotina and also got the empty bottle. When I opened my package today and pulled out said empty bottle, I caught a whiff of the scent, and... Mother of God, I'm already in love. This is one of the most unique scents imaginable. If my skin chemistry destroys this, I will literally cry.

Alright, two days later after I've calmed down: Veeery interesting. This is the most bizarre perfume, but rarity is not the only thing that makes it good. It was a little sour for about two minutes when I first applied and I was crossing my fingers and gritting my teeth, hoping it wouldn't stay that way. It was a little like cheese and straw for a second there.

It has now, very quickly, started behaving. Soothing, natural milkiness that is just really breathtaking. I imagine soft grasses and oatmeal in the background of the goat's milk. It's a bit buttery, but not strongly foody or sweet. The fig (fleshy, rich, warm fig) is there in a supporting role. I can't say that I can pick out the myrrh, but there's a slight darkness to the overall scent that really grounds it. Nonae Caprotina is a super earthy and humble scent-- if you're all about glamour you pretty much already knew this wasn't for you. Also, a little goes a long way-- the scent is a clingy one and doesn't have a far throw, but I definitely don't want to overwhelm myself with it or it threatens me with that cheesy straw foolishness again. This is largely a dabbing scent, so it'll probably last me forever, but I still almost certainly need a bottle.

Edited by Aldercy

Inside the imp, reminds me of sour cream and fig.

On the skin, it's not quite as sour as it was inside the imp. I'm getting a creamy fig, slightly sweet.

As I suspected, this is not really a blend for me. I had to try a decant though just to satisfy myself that my assumption was correct. ;)

Goat's milk. Now there's something I never thought I'd want to smell like... still, it seemed interesting so I decided to try a decant. I'm so glad I did, this is delicious.

It's a creamy milk, slightly tangy but sweet. It's the main note for me, with a background of earthy figs. I don't get any myrrh out of this (which is a shame as I do love myrrh), just goat's milk and fig.

I don't need much of the oil, only a drop or so on each wrist. It has a fair throw, and great lasting power - 12 hours, so far.

Rich and creamy, sightly sweet, and a bit earthy - very comforting, really. A simply blend, but so well done. I'll definitely be buying a bottle of this.

Edit (4/5/10) This is still one of my favorites. It's really just perfect for a chilly or rainy day.

Edited by Gardenia

Now I always new that fig worked on my skin...but who knew goat's milk worked on me? :blink:

This is sweet and creamy goat's milk with a hint of fig. Who knew? Baaaaa!

This one scared me when I sniffed it straight from the bottle: sour and spoiled. But on the skin it's creamy, smooth, warm, slightly earthy and just pretty. It's a comforting scent. I think I'm going to wear this a lot when it's colder outside :D

Nonae Caprotina-

In Bottle: Milk perfume scent! Really smells a lot like Milk Moon 2005.

Wet: Very fragrantly milky. Again, like Milk Moon.

Dry: A little of the fig begins to bloom. Creamy; that milky scent I associate with perfumes that call themselves milk-scented lingers all the way through. I do like it.

Overall: Milky figgy yum!

I was alittle spooked by the reviews (sour...pungent) but was far too intrugued to pass it up. So, here goes:

Wet: Definitely milky, a bit reminiscent of the Milk Moons, but no sourness.

On and Dry: A really nice, milky scent, fresh and clean with the fig adding some fruity earthiness. It stays close to the skin, but lasts.

All in all, I like this so much I may need another bottle!

Ahh. The long awaited bottle of Nonae Caprotina.

In the bottle: Strong, heavy slighty nauseating rotten milk and myrrh. Oh noes! :ack:

Wet: The scent lightened up to the scent of warm milk- like when you heat it in the microwave. Oddly it smells like breast milk but I've heard goats milk does smell like that.

Dry: Hmm. Ohh that's really nice. I can smell the sweetness of the fig a little now, especially up close. The myrrh is beginning to come out a little making it warmer and a touch powdery. The fig is turning a little plasticy but the other scents do well to hold it together.

This is a little different than what I was expecting and sometimes the sourness is a little much, especially toward the beginning but I think it will be a wonderful fall scent. I will retest a few days from now when my hormonal conditions are more..favorable.

Edit: Ugh- I don't know if I can try this again... later this got overwhelmingly cloying and gave me a severe headache. And I hardly ever get headaches from bpal. It actually reminded me of thick, warm coconut milk which I had an adverse reaction to once. The bf said I smelled like squashed plums in the Bed Bath and Beyond store. Not sure what that means but I don't think its good. I wanted to love this so much :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

Edited by Yoginispirit

First whiff is strong warm goat's milk, but after a minute it weakens and gets sweeter. The myhrr comes in and a bit of fig. It's a barely there scent. I can't do milk notes, they go sour on me.

Edited by BuxomM

In the imp, this smells a little tinny, like baby throw up.

Wet, it turns into a warm, creamy fig, a little more complex than Strangler Fig (which I gave up because I prefer a little complexity). It's sweet, but not too sweet--the goat's milk takes care of that.

In the dry-down it goes through various phases. It mellows a bit and then gets a bit spicy and sweet at the end, like dried fruit.

ALL of the phases are wonderful, despite the imp smell. I think I need a bottle, but I'll try it at least once more to be sure.

Mmmm...goat's milk and fig. Just almost too sweet on my skin. The fig is yummy and earthy. I think I would enjoy this like I would a glass of milk at bedtime. Decant or bottle...probably decant will suffice.

straight sniff from imp reminds me very much of milk moon 2007....

once applied this is sooooooooo yummy...the fig is sweet and combined with the myrrh is

absolute perfection...soft, lovely and creamy...nicely done

On first whiff, this one doesn't smell like my boyfriend (which is sorta what I was hoping for, 'cause he uses goat-milk soap). It does smell like something sweet that my nose can't identify, plus a milk that isn't quite milk (must be goat milk).

I usually try scents without having the notes in front of me -- it occurred to me once I saw the notes listed here that of course, the fruit-like-but-not-quite-fruit note I'm smelling must be fig. What I smell on my skin is that, with a hint of something almost like sunblock, and that's just fine by me. The overall effect is lovely. I think I may need a bottle. :)