Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Peacocks

Asian pear, white musk, bamboo pulp, violet, ambergris, sugar cane, night-blooming jasmine, plum, freesia, and moss.

I was so attracted to the art on this bottle, with the gorgeous, ghostly white peacocks glowing among dark greenery. And it's called Peacocks! I pretty much had to have it. The scent grabbed me even though I didn't know what was in it when I first sniffed it -- it's sweet, but the impression I get is vivid green and blue. I absolutely can't stop sniffing this.

The sweet fruitiness of the pear is wrapped in the distinctive fresh pale green crunch of bamboo. If you liked Holiday Moon or Dragon Moon or any of the other blends that have bamboo in them, this has that same note -- but the bright glowing green sweetness reminds me of something otherworldly like Shoggoth as well.

The strongest similarity I would say though is to Black Moon. If Black Moon had a stronger pear note, and was slightly sweeter and layered with bamboo, I think it would come close to Peacocks. Even though night-blooming jasmine and freesia have been headache culprits around here, I'm just completely digging this with all of its eerie ghostlike glowing. I think that the white musk and ambergris make all of those lighter elements behave themselves. So glad I got this one, since looking at the notes I might have passed on it if I hadn't been so captivated by the artwork.

In the bottle this smells a bit like Fire Pig - which is a great omen for me, since I adore Fire Pig.

Wet it's a tart, fresh sweetness, I think that's the pear, backed by jasmine.

It doesn't morph much when dry though more of the sugar comes out.

All in all this is a really lovely blend.

straight sniff from imp is pear and jasmine...

i am in complete concurrence with the similarity to black moon...this

just has a lot more pear...decent throw too....

unfortunately i get none of the violet note which is a fav for me...

while it is pretty i think it would be better suited for others :P

In bottle/imp: Ripe, fresh pears and bamboo with almost a peachy feel to it.

Immediately on skin: The pear in this is very strong, but blended with the other notes to create something crisp, juicy, and quite green with a light sugary floral undertone. The white musk and ambergris add a slight powdery musk to the blend.

After a few minutes: This is very pretty. It smells like peach is the main note, though… not pear. The fruitiness has died down, and the musk and sugar cane have come out more. The blend is now fruity, but with a warm muskiness and soft flowers. The freesia is the only evident floral note to me, but it is nice and light and blends well with the other scents.

Overall Impressions: This is a very pleasant fruity blend with a touch of flowers and musk. It would be great in the summer and warmer weather. Peacocks is beautifully blended in a way that takes away some of the complexity of the scent, but it’s still very feminine, fruity, and cheerful.

In the imp: whoa. Dripping with sugar. Instant toothache.

Wet: Sweet. Floral. Juicy.

Dry: Less sweet. Florals come out. Smells chartreuse green. (the color of bamboo)

I am loving this one! It's sunny and cheerful and 100% girly.

Sniffing from the bottle: Sweet and crisp with a light background of soft flowers. I love asian pears, and I definitely get that sweet green juicy crispness from this scent.

Upon application: It does that strange foody/curry thing that certain flowers do on me sometimes. I can never quite figure out what notes it is that do that.

After a few minutes: Unfortunately this starts to go a bit funky on me. I'm not sure why, but I'm starting to smell like tropical fruit life savers.

Conclusion: This had great potential at first sniff, but sadly my skin chemistry did this one in. Not for me.

This blend initially DOES remind me of Fire Pig but only in the first 3 minutes of wear (from imp to wet on wrists).

After that, it takes on a whole body all its own. This is a juicy and bright fragrance without being 'high-pitched', which is what I reference floral or fruit blends that I just can't wear.

I agree with Sarada that something indeed does GLOW in this. This is a bottle purchase for me after wearing the imp and will revere itself from other blends I reserve "for Spring only" wear. I think in its initial phase it does have a similarity to 51 but whatever is in this blend.....sprouts roots and wings and just goes beyond anything in comparison.

It really is a BEAUTY (30ml, please?!)! :P

This is a sweet and crisp scent. It is light and both fruity and sensual. This sort of brings to mind a lovely medley of colors: glowing white, green, lime green, pink, cobalt...

The pear is by far the dominant note in this and it has a juicy green bite to it. The bamboo pulp brightens things and the jasmine adds a sensual sweetness. The freesia and plum are lovely. I smell the freesia as a soft, bright blue spring color. The combination of the ambergris, sugar, and violets adds a sort of dusky, powdery aspect to this.

I find this to be a juicy, bright, glowing, feminine fragrance.

i got an empty bottle of this from a decant circle :P not really my type of scent, it's very sweet and fruity but with a crystalline aquaticness to it. sniffing the bottle, the pear is very strong. the pear and freesia are the strongest notes on my skin, and i do agree this reminds me of a black moon, but it's more sugary. the white musk adds a nice softness to the background. it is very pretty, just not really my style.

Edited by theseagrows

I can see the comparisons to Fire Pig -- this has the same asian vibe with the sweet juicy fruit. Unfortunately, I was hoping for the asian pear and have got NO pear at all. I think the most predominant notes for me are sugar and violets.

I feel like if you wanted to like Fire Pig and didn't, you should give Peacocks a shot.

OMGosh! Another hit for me!!

I have never tried Fire Pig so I didn't have anything to compare this too. Peacocks is beautiful and so uplifting it almost glows!

I cannot even begin to describe the notes but from wet to completely dried down, Peacocks is a fruity, citrus, floral, energetic blend! I am not able to smell the violet and the sugar but the plum and pear are there and well blened with teh florals. The moss, ambergris, and sugar cane give it a stable base. While this does last a while on me, it still doesn't last a long time - maybe about 1/2 hour before it starts to fade to a citrus/skin scent. After another 1/2 hour it is completely gone. Bummer! I still think I would be willing to purchase a bottle of this anyway!

Great Job Beth!!!

This is like a juicier, more saturated, refined version of Pixie Stix. That sugar cane is DEFINITELY adding some sucrose to the experience of Peacocks.

I love pear, but wasn't expecting to really dig this scent - I guess I tend to dismiss anything with numerous light floral notes. However, what I get from this is a burst of sweet fruit with a balancing undertone of the musk and ambergris, plus a little flourish of flowers. Actually, I think the freesia is what's giving a slight sparkle to the pear (and plum?) - that's almost citrusy. I always loved smelling freesia when I worked in a flower shop through high school, so this is a good note for me. I am definitely hanging on to this decant for the spring.

Wish the lab had the artwork for this up on the site!

ETA: Wearing this today again - in my scent locket after several hours I keep getting whiffs of the coconut. That note wasn't as obvious to me before, but I'm noticing now that it lends a nice fruity creaminess to the whole profile of this blend. So good!

Edited by dorothy humbird

In the imp, I get all pear - swoon. I'm such a sucker for fruity scents.

On my skin, it's still all pear up front - so delicious and true to life.

But when it dries, the pear is all gone - it's musk and jasmine. Not bad, but definitely a change from the first phase.

This is a so bright.. so cheerful so.. beaming. It is crisp and.. tart and.. it makes me smile. I actually cannot pick out any note by itself really. Peacocks isn't exceptionally floral.. or really overwhelmingly fruity. It has that.. clean scent that I get from a lot of blends with ozoney notes.. without the sometimes.. piercing nature of them. I smell like the happiest girl on the most beautiful warm sunny spring day. Full of life, energy and brightness.. this would be a great scent for when I need to get stuff done! I am pleased as could be with this blend.. truly just wonderful.

PEACOCKS

In Bottle: Floral and fruity

On Skin: I smell the bamboo pulp right away. I also smell something lemon like. I don’t smell the plum sadly, one of my favorite notes… but the pear does start to come through about 5 minutes into wearing it. The violet is a soft purple, complimented by the jasmine. This scent is actually very subtle… I expected it to be a bit more… *loud* I guess, just because peacocks are very flamboyant. But it is very pretty. Overall an Asian scent in feel, with light blues and greens in tone. Sweet, fun and playful while still being a gorgeous scent. Light throw and short to medium wearlength on me.

This smells lovely! I was a bit worried about the jasmine, but it's fine. Lends a kind of perfumey aspect to the scent, but it doesn't shout JASMINE. I love the freesia and moss combination -- smells like a nice fresh garden flower, and I think the pear, plum and white musk are lightening up the scent. It smells bright, which is a nice combination with the earthy moss and ambergris.

Think fruity light floral with moss and bamboo. Reminds me very slightly of some of the Asian lunacy blends, a little bit of Budding Moon.

I like this one!

In Vial: light scent of sweet candy pear

Wet: Stronger pear with a bit of tart. I smell lemon.

Drydown: This is very sweet like pear candy might be but also is a tiny bit tangy. There is a bit of floral mixed with the sweetness and pear.

Evoking Color: pear green

Peacocks - Oh my gosh, this is so pretty. I have to say it's one of the prettiest BPAL blends I've come across in a long time. It's sweet and floral, yet it's not high-pitched and loud. It's soft and musky and just so damn pretty! The strongest notes are the pear, violet, sugar cane, and what I think is the moss note. The violet doesn't smell powdery as it usually does on my skin and the pear doesn't make this an uber-sweet floral as it usually does on my skin, and the sugar cane doesn't turn to plastic, as it usually does. Everything blends together in absolute perfect harmony to create a scent that is stunningly beautiful, crisp, sweet, floral, and so amazingly pretty. I applied this at 8 a.m. and by 11 a.m. it was fairly faint on my skin, but it's now 3 p.m. and I can still very, very faintly smell it on my skin. It won't get me through a day, but it's got better-than-average wear length on me, which makes me really happy, since most scents that I adore disappear so quickly on me! I want a full bottle. Or two.

In the vial: very sweet floral.

Wet on skin: This scent smells like it has lotus flower in it, although I don't recall lotus as an ingredient. This is a very sweet tropical floral scent. Where is the moss?

Dry: This scent is not what I expected, but it is a great scent for those who enjoy sweet floral scents.

Peacocks

In the imp: sweet floral pear. Very sweet and bright.

Wet on skin: something gets a little bit sharp, but not in a bad way. Smells bright and fruity and floral.

Dry on skin: lemon? Why on earth am I smelling verbena? That, along with the jasmine and fruitiness, reminds me of Vampire Tears. This is a little softer and less biting (ha!) than VT. I smell bamboo, lots of bamboo, and sweet sugar cane, and also a gentle plum note and some mossy white musk. It’s a very pretty floral, the jasmine is of the nice variety, it is a cool white-purple scent to my nose, with an almost Asian feel thanks to the bamboo. It’s not over-sweet though.

After a while: when the odd verbena note goes away, the scent becomes so beautiful! I thought it was going to become a nice but a bit meh fruity-floral scent, but this is exquisite. It’s mainly white musk, moss and bamboo with a little violet, but the jasmine, freesia, pear and sugar cane just enhance this soft downy whiteness with a wonderfully well balanced mix of fruits, flowers and gentle skin-scent. It’s sweet but not cloying at all, a little powdery in the nicest way, and subtly flowery but not heady. Everything is just so well blended here. I swear there’s a hidden vanilla note in here because I keep catching wafts of vanilla, and I have no idea why but when I smell my wrist, this mystery vanilla seems to be coming from the Peacocks.

The beautiful sweet musk stage doesn’t last long and then the scent seems to disappear, leaving a trace of moss and bamboo and musk behind as it leaves…but I miss the sweet warm sugar stage!

Verdict: this is a surprise hit! I knew it would be either gorgeous or so-so on me, but this was even more beautiful than expected. An oddly lemony beginning then turns into a fruity floral with fresh bamboo. It’s lovely but it’s not screaming ‘I want more’. But then the scent turns into the loveliest fragrance of soft white musk and moss with touched by a well blended scent of flowers, plum, pear, and white sugar. It’s even got something warm and vanilla-like to it. It’s a delightful and delicate scent and lasts for a good long time, though that endearing sweetness does leave after a few hours, with the mossy musk remaining. This is a very well-mixed collection of notes, a perfect floral-fruity musk. I may get a bottle once my decant is done.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes-this is gorgeously pretty. Maybe I’ll get a bottle some day.

If you like this, try: Vampire Tears, Habu, White Phoenix, Belle au Bois Dormant, Thalia

MMMmmmmm. I just got this today from a fellow forum member (Rivki8699, thank you!) and I just love this. Tart and almost "tangy" citrusy, yet sweet, and sugary! There's also a green musk like note to this as well. If you love fruity florals (with the fruit being more dominant) then this baby is for you!

Pear is one of my favorite things to eat and one of my favorite real-life smells, but it always seems to lose something in its transition to perfume. Peacocks has a sort of candied, perfumey-musky pear to it. The bamboo also pops out and seems to constantly linger in the background, smelling crisp and slightly lemony on my skin (sort of like a mix of green musk, sharp green tea, and lemon - that's what bamboo notes smell like to me). In the drydown, the jasmine starts to make its presence known, but it's surprisingly well behaved. I tend to be a jasmine hater, but it's rather soft smelling in Peacocks. The white musk seems to be very nice in this blend as well, creamy and almost vanilla-esque. I never really pick out any mossy or earthy notes, just clean, crisp, sweet notes.

I actually don't mind the sweet, musky pear and creamy white musk in this. I think that they keep the jasmine and bamboo from being overwhelmingly sharp on me. The other florals seem to add a perfumey vibe. Overall, this is a nice, Asian-inspired fruity-floral that smells crisp, sweet, and clean on my skin.

This isn't for me, but I have a hard time wearing bpal's Asian-inspired blends. They're a little too clean and crisp for my tastes. Still, Peacocks is very pretty, and my boy did like this on me.

In the decant: Very sweet, almost candy like, with the greenness of bamboo.

On: Quite similar to how it smelled in the imp, although the candy quality goes away, which I prefer since it was almost *too* sweet. Now it's predominantly bamboo - not getting pear at all, or the violet which I'd really like. I'm wavering between thinking this smells pretty and thinking it smells like a cleaning products variant on my skin - not the lemon kind, but one that gets labeled with something like "Orchard Rain"

Dry: Kind of pretty, but too sweet for my preferences.

In the bottle: Sweet, slightly heady, fruity floral. Definitely pear, sugar cane, and jasmine coming through.

Wet: Softer, but much the same. The freesia and violet are quickly emerging, and they're lovely. The musk is coming out majorly too. I almost find white musk a bit astringent. Despite being light in shade, it's powerful.

Dry: (yuzu? lime?), but it's being overpowered by the heady jasmine and what I think is ambergris (amps on me like crazy and makes me feel a bit ill). I can also smell a hint of the bamboo pulp, which is a lovely light aquatic-woody note.

Summary: Overall, this is just too sweet. I think it's time for me to wash off based on sweetness + that headiness; I fear a headache.

The notes sounded SO amazing and it had such promise, but evil things took over. :P

Wet this is such a bright, fruity scent. The pear is quite strong but there’s the greenness and succulence of bamboo too.

This is so gorgeous. I don’t normally like fruity scents but I quite like this one. It also reminds me of Black Moon but with loads of pear and sugar. It has qualities of Hungry Ghost Moon and perhaps more so of Tamamo-no-mae. The bamboo is still quite prominent here, perhaps rice flower too. White , jasmine and moss too. There's something almost creamy here, so perhaps that is rice flower. This is a very Asian-themed scent to me. This is absolutely gorgeous and I would love to have a bottle of this scent.

eta: after this has been on a few hours this is very sweet and sugary. it's not maple syrup sweet, nor granular white sugar sweet. it's somwhere in between with a touch of caramel and fruit. delicious!

Edited by cranberry