Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UltraViolet

Y'ha-nthlei

A great undersea metropolis located below Devil's Reef. A swirling, lightless, effervescent scent: the deepest marine notes with bergamot, eucalyptus and foamy ambergris.

this is very aquatic with a fruity sweetness to it. not sure what note is doing that. it reminds me of shampoo a bit and is too sweet for my personal tastes, so it's off to swaps.

In the imp: Citrusy and fresh

On Skin: Fresh and breezy, sea-like, with a hint of citrus

Drydown: Kinda reminds me to Irish Spring, and kinda reminds me to bathroom sanitizer. :P

Verdict: It's a very fresh and clean smelling aquatic. I can see this being perhaps more for masculine tastes than my own.

imp : very men's Cologne like. However it did not occur to me until I started to slather this on that perhaps this is a man's scent. lol

wet : no sweet notes in this at all for me! My skin has caught the eucalyptus and marine notes and is running strong with it.

dry : On my this is a sibling to Hurricane, the same watery notes are in this as that with a few changes here and there. To me this is definitely a dark scent but without the dark water Hurricane had - this is blue, blue tropical water with something dark living beneath it. Absolutely perfect for any kind of deep sea creature or ocean monster tail - whatever's lurking here isn't out to cause trouble but you know its not something you should go and look to disturb.

over all : I can see myself wearing this while lounging on some sort of tropical beach with a semi stormy sky. I think I'll be enjoying my imp from time to time but I don't need a big bottle of this but oh what a gorgeous scent this would be on a man! The very thought makes me go week in the knees, so maybe I'll save a bit of this for when I get a hubby of my own. :P

Y'ha-Nthlei is like what soap smells like in heaven. There is something so undoubtedly fresh about this blend that the comparisons to soap spring to mind, as so many soaps have an ozone or marine scent to them. But Y'ha-Nthlei is so much better than that. I smell the marine notes (and a touch of ozone, but just a touch), the unmistakable fresh tang of bergamot, cool eucalyptus and the yummy ambergris/grey amber. It's like the moment when you go under water and the wave seals over the top of your head.

I don't reach for aquatics that often, but I really enjoyed testing this one out.

Frimp from the lab, and I am surprised (and grateful) for it! I am genuinely confused on this scent; I like the fresh, aquatic base of it, and am delighted that ambergris works on me as I did not expect it to at all. And yet something of it smells like a saltine cracker to me. I have a vague sensation that I'll never reach for this. Ever. And yet I'd feel terrible sending it off without giving it a chance, because it IS nice, and fresh, and deliciously cool.

On the other hand, my brother said he liked it, and this is a kid that runs screaming at the scent of incense, soap, shampoo... you name it. He is Anti-Perfume. I am so unsure! And yet I recommend it anyway, it's a wonderful experience, even if you don't end up keeping it.

I got this as a frimp with a decant circle, and it's my favorite from the group.

Wet, it's a very very clean scent (but with nothing floral). Wet, it's the scent the ocean has when it's still warm but the air above it is cold - if that makes any sense.

As it dries, it goes to dish detergent on me (although I was loading the dishwasher at the time, so maybe my nose was filling in the scent there or something).. but once it gets past that point the detergent smell fades and a light aquatic takes over.

I've been wearing it for about a half hour now though, and unless I stick my nose to my wrist I can barely smell anything.. and what I can smell I can't identify (possibly the ambergris, since I have no clue how that smells), although there's still a tiny hint of aquatic there.

That all said, I'm on the tail-end of my menstrual cycle so I'll wait a week or two to see if there are any changes.

Mmmm. I would never have ordered this, but it came nestled with the imps, taunting me.

"No!" I cried "I can't wear aquatics - they're boring and all smell like Lysol!"

"But ssssssweety, you ssso love the sssctentss of sssspray disssinfectantssss!"

(Not sure why Y'ha-Nthlei hisses, but hiss it does.)

So I tried it. In the imp, it smelled of Lysol. Which, truth to be told, is a pleasant smell, though I don't want to wear it. It was too fresh, too . . . clean. In a perjorative sense.

Wet, I could smell a greeness, with a citrus/mint tang backing it up. Like if there were some strange, Deep Ones-approved party punch called Sargasso Mojitos. Must be the bergamont and eucalyptus. The eucalyptus, incidentally, isn't that strong, mentol-y note I expected. It's clean but subtle - not disinfectant-y.

Then, on the drydown, out comes . . . it smells earthy, no not earthy, silty. Still cool, but kind of rich. Is this the 'foamy ambergris'? It's sexy and sets off the citrus and leafiness perfectly. This smells like the aquatic mammal equivalent of The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover - Sexy, related to food (well, whale food), and dangerous.

I feel like a sexy mermaid, a killer nymph, a naiad femme fatale. Fresh but not too clean. Big bottle listed!

(Unfortunately, this scent dissipates quickly. I only have the slightest residue of ambergris and bergamot, the eucalyptus and water having fled. I like it enough, though, that it's still on the big bottle list.)

Edited by KikuPeach

In the vial: the sea. It's all blue-green sea after the rain.

On the skin: It's very light, I can get a hint of eucalyptus. On the drydown the ambergis comes out, it's almost blue-green with the golden sunlight on it. I've had such bad luck with most of Arkham I was beginning to give up hope but this one likes me!

Clean, cold, and bracing. For once the eucalyptus doesn't trample over all the other scents (not that I don't like Eurcalyptus, but Jabberwocky knocked me down and stole my lunch money). A faint sweetness, but nothing overpowering. This is really lovely. I may need a bottle.

On me, Y'ha-Nthlei is a salty aquatic, somewhat green and a little fruity. It's very close to Selkie. I like this a lot and I can see myself wearing it often during the summer.

In Vial: sweet water, the eucalyptus gives it a freshness.

Wet: Smells like clean laundry but sweeter. Definately invokes the image of things underwater. Gives the feeling of being cooled by water, or cool water rushing over you.

Drydown: Smells like refreshing water and honeydew melon only a tad sweeter. Very refreshing. Literally makes me feel cool on the inside. Really like this scent.

Frimped from the lab!!

Salty-sweet with cool undertones (probably the Eucalyptus). It's got a great throw to it!! Somebody said "clean laundry" and I agree completely. It's very nice, but makes me sneeze (it's pretty strong) :P

I Think I'll share the love and frimp this one out. It's very nice to test, but I wouldn't reach for it.

a frimp from the lab i am most grateful for. yet another unexpected hit from the ambergris library...i'm beginning to think it's a favorite note. i don't really get the whole eucalyptus thing. this ends up being a slightly sweet, creamy aquatic, definitely a little cool (unlike, say, a warm aquatic like bayou). i love these surprise blends that stay hidden behind the bpal curtains, letting all those LE's take the limelight...but then they pop out and take the cake, hehe like i said elsewhere in the forum, y'ha-nthlei reminds me a lot of selkie, and this is very much a good thing. i don't think it's too masculine...i'd call this one androgynous.

i'm dreading the stifling heat that will consume LA this summer, and i believe y'ha-nthlei (i love typing that) will help keep me cool and refreshed. definitely using up the imp and likely will be getting a bottle. yum.

Edited by eatingthesea

This flew completely under my radar for ages - the word "aquatic" was enough for me to skip right over it... Having had good luck recently with Selkie & Dream of the Fisherman's Wife, though, when this came into my hands, I decided it was worth a shot...

In the imp, it's delicious - sweet, cool water bubbling over clean round stones. Once on, the eucalyptus is a bit brash, nudging things dangerously close to Ocean Fresh laundry soap... a few minutes to dry, and it calms down a bit. I get little hints of the bergamot & ambergris, pale yellow & lavender-tinted flashes on the surface of an ever-deepening tidepool...

Um. Why am I smelling mayonnaise? :D The aquatics are thickening into an oily tang underneath the sparkling top notes, giving the distinct feel of candied flowers on a thin smear of mayo. Um. I need to wash this off. NOW. :P

Edited by tartchef

Frimped to me by Tartchef!

Initial thoughts: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY LOVECRAFT!

Also: Marine is good. Not so sure on the eucalyptus front, but bergamot and ambergris are big big loves.

In the imp: This is the only oil I have that is actually totally clear. Weird. Smell wise, it’s a clean, fresh, wet floral with a barest hint of eucalyptus.

On the wrist, wet: Faint. It’s a bit like wet, clean shampoo, actually. Not exactly soap, but the tangy aquatic from the marine and the eucalyptus is very much like a really nice shampoo.

On the wrist, wet, but MORE: Okay, now I’ve doused myself in it instead of just dabbing it on, I get the bergamot and the eucalyptus. Wet, clean, clear bergamot and eucalyptus. Don’t really get the ambergris, but there’s a soft touch that stops it from being sharp and bitter which is probably my favourite little note lurking in there.

Ten minutes or so later: Fresh, wet, green bergamot. It’s pleasant, but ever so slightly reminiscent of shampoo. I’ll wear the rest of the imp for certain, but I don’t think this is going into the bottles pile just yet.

Several hours later: Wait… why does this smell different?

It’s the ambergris. It takes it’s time – boy does it take it’s time! – but when it finally makes a show it gives a soft, golden incense tinge that takes the edge off the marine bergamot. This is much more me. A bottle may appear sometime in the future, but I’m in no great rush.

Tl;Dr: Weak, so apply liberally. Very fresh, wet, green bergamot with a hint of eucalyptus. The ambergris turns up after a few hours.

imp: a sweet, clean aquatic with a hint of bergamot.

wet: this is exactly what i would love my laundry to smell like. this smells crisp and clean, sweet aquatics with light bergamot and eucalyptus.

dry: this dries to more of an aquatic/grass scent. still, very much what i would like my laundry to smell like... i must contrive a way to make it so.

In the bottle:

Straight up ozone-y water smell that I really can't stand.

Wet:

Still ozone-y, but not quite as sharp. It makes my nose feel a little bit colder which is nice.

Dry:

It's mellowing even more, which makes me happy. There's something warm behind it all... perhaps the ambergris? It's still mainly aquatic, though. Overall I think I'll stick with peppermint scents to cool me off in the summer.

First on: Sharply citrussy, with an almost grassy character. Certainly something herbal going on.

Aha! Bergamot explains the citrus, and I suppose the I was reading eucalyptus as grassy. I can read this as "marine" now that I know what to epect, but man... this is really far out of my scent preferences. It is kind of foreboding, though, which is as it should be. Now that it's drying down, the notes are becoming less distinct, and the scent altogether is actually much nicer than I thought starting out. Still, not something I'd reach for much. It might be really nice on a guy. Actually... this might be kind of phenomenal on a guy. *eyes glaze over*

Further into drydown this is achieving a slightly soapy quality that I also get from The Black Swan in later stages. I think the marine accord must be responsible. It's not a bad thing, though. I also suspect that the ambergris is settling in for its shift, as there's something smoother about the whole business now.

Overall: not a scent I see myself wanting to wear often, but I would totally dig this on a dude.

In The Bottle

Cool and slightly bitter aquatic

On Application

Does feel dark and deep.

Dry Down

Aquatics can often turn sharply floral on me but this is holding as a salty, deep aquatic. One of the best aquatics I have tried so far.

Rating (0-5)

It starts out really lovely. This is an aquatic I could love, and it may possibly be because of the bergamot. I didn't get much eucalyptus.

The bergamot didn't hold on. It's still nice enough, for an aquatic. I'm not sure that I love it anymore though.

Amusingly, the ambergris isn't killing the scent this time....maybe it needs to be *foamy* ambergris to work on me?

Oh ho ho, color me surprised. I love this! This totally reminds me of something I can't place from childhood. Sweet, oceanic, crisp and clean...this is a great aquatic! I think I'm going to give ambergris a chance.

Not sure about as a perfume, but I might scent some shampoo with this bad boy. Interesting, nice throw and a ticklish combination! My nose is loving this!

Sad Edit: Ok, the ambergris went wonky and this turned ugly FAST! *CRIES* 2/5

Edited by writergal969

In bottle/imp: Citrus and salt.

Immediately on skin: This is clean and soapy. But salty too. It smells like a very sharp version of the scent of Irish Spring soap to me (my husband uses it so I know the smell well). It’s a very sharp, clean scent, and definitely effervescent in a foamy way. I can pick out the bergamot as a light citrus note, but everything else blends together completely.

After a little while: The crisp feel of this dies down just a little, but this still has that soapy, clean feel. It’s very oceanesque, but is a lot more soapy than salty.

Overall Impressions: This smells *exactly* like Irish Spring soap to me. It’s clean, slightly salty, and soapy. It’s an ocean scent, but moreso it’s an ocean-scented soap scent. This one’s very unisex, and even edging into masculine for me.

I need to come to terms with the fact that aquatics=soap on me. Not that this is a bad smelling soap but soap none the less. Its a refreshing citrus soap that I think would work great as a body wash (or a bath oil!) but as for a daily wear, its just not me

Watery ozone in the imp, that gives it that aquatic note. Probably some lotus too.

Wet on the skin, it's stronger, though there's also a warm note of something …weedy? Woody? It almost smells like it's going to go off at this stage. I'll hope that my nose is playing tricks on me. When I'm not up on top of the scent, it has a cool edge, which is a neat trick. Aha. Must come from the eucalyptus.

Continuing to dry down, citrus-y bergamot makes its appearance. This is an okay scent. Not stunning, not making me huff my wrists every two seconds. Not something I hate, but not thrilling enough to keep.