Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
paperdoll

Forbidden Fruit

As light and innocent as your first time should have been. The fresh scent of lotus hidden behind lightly scented flowers, amber, and citrus.

This was a freebie from the Lab...thank you SO much! :P

In the bottle this smelled like fruity lipgloss. It was the last of 16 imps that I tried because I thought for sure that I wouldn't like it...

WRONG! Although it did go on fruity, like berries and various fruit candies, after 5 minutes I smell nothing but lotus, which I adore. I don't smell amber at all but this scent has great throw (which I also love). This scent is lovely on me and it's a keeper....I feel a big bottle coming on....

I'm finding that I really do like lotus. I wasn't sure before. Is there Jasmine in this also? just a little? And maybe something a teensy bit orangey. Very beautiful soft girly kind of scent. I really like this. I would consider this a spring scent.

The lotus note predominates in the wet phase of Forbidden Fruit. The sweetness of this note eventually gives way to the citrus notes, and then finally to the 'light florals', whatever they may be. I think that jasmine must be a component because the final drydown has a soapiness to it that's reminiscent of jasmine, although there are traces of the lotus and citrus notes. Forbidden Fruit is not for me, alas.

This was a gift imp from the Lab. (Thank you.)

This was indeed both sweet and light. Unfortunately, it was also slightly "plasticy" on me when wet. I am not sure which note(s) causes that to happen. This scent was complex and not easily described. As it dried, the plastic disappeared and a bit of orange came through the floral. I think I can distinguish lotus after enjoying it some much in Undertow. I like it here as well, though it is not prominent on my skin. As it dried, the scent of jasmine came forward and remained most prominent to the end.

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab! :D

Preconceive notions:

Sadly, this one's not looking promising right from the start: lotus either turns into bubblegum or sour milk on me, amber almost always turns into sour milk and I don't normally like florals or citrus unless it's grapefruit or blood orange. I'll still give this the chance it deserves, though!

First sniff:

Wow, that's actually not bad, really. I'm not sure it's me, but it's not bad. I smell amber nad a sort of general citrus with a hint of soft flowers in the background. This is definitely innocent smelling, which may be why it's probably not for me. :P

Wet on skin:

Amber, as usual, leaps to the surface as soon as Forbidden Fruit hits my skin, but the citrus and lotus are right behind it. No sour milk, which is good, but so far Forbidden Fruit isn't really up my alley. It's almost bubblegum sweet (the lotus, no doubt) but with a heavy dose of amber and a burst of citrus, as well.

Dry down:

I smell like bubblegum. Bazooka Joe, to be exact, complete with that powder that's on it when you open the wrapper. I hate bubblegum, as anyone who knows about my hatred for Jailbait is aware of. This is definitely not me by any stretch of the imagination.

The bottom line:

Forbidden Fruit and I are not destined to be friends. On me, it turns into pure, powdery bubblegum, which makes me very sad and somewhat queasy. :D

Ick. This is a blend in the same family as Tamora and Glitter, which totally nauseate me.

Something is choking me. Sickly sweet and light. Light as in notes, not actually a light fragrance because this is throttling me. While definitely not quite as bad as Glitter was, because this doesn't actually smell like ultra-concentrated pixi stix, this has a similar effect. It still smells like candy, though- painfully sweet citrus-flavored candy. It doesn't smell particularly floral on me.

Ugh I need to wash this off, I feel seriously ill :P

Edited by luxuria

I wanted to like this, really I tried but it was not to be...

From start to finish all I get is bubblegum bubblegum bubblegum :P

This could be good on someone who likes very sweet scents or on someone very young.

To all those people who got bubblegum: How I wish I were you. I like bubblegum! However, not too sure about Forbidden Fruit.

In the bottle: Even in the bottle, this smelled weird to me. Slightly "off", if you will. Do I smell citrus? Something sweet? Petroleum jelly? What?

On me/drydown: A little better. It turns into a warm floral on me, which is nice. Excpet that something "off" remains on my skin. I'm not sure if it's the lotus or something else, but one of the notes does not agree with me.

After 30 minutes: It faded a lot, so the little I can smell is really nice now. Unfortunately, this was not a winner for me. I so wanted to like it. I think I'll try out my new swap of Blood Lotus to see if lotus is the offender, or if it's something else entirely.

At first this one's almost equal parts fruit and floral. I was a bit apprehensive about the floral segment since it was mostly rose, but it quickly faded away. I couldn't pick out any specific fruit; the candy sweetness of the lotus was predominant.

I'm still not sure how much I like this one. It's nice and pretty, but it's a somewhat bland prettiness. It's also a very young scent, which doesn't seem quite right for me.

In the bottle and initially, this is all Lotus on me - for some reason, Lotus is all "diaper" to me. Maybe my mom used a strange, lotus scented diaper - but I can't escape the association. After about a half an hour, the lotus fades back and the amber warms up - this becomes a slightly tart, warm, but very light floral - the first half hour is very sickening to me, though - and after that, though it is pleasant - it's not exceptional. As far as staying power - it only lasts for a couple of hours before fading out completely. For a lotus lover, this would be a fantastic blend, though!

Forbidden Fruit. I'm so glad that is just a name, because it will not be forbidden on my skin. It is a delicious scent that starts off with sweet citrus and lotus. As it dried down, the light floral notes came through. Then it dried to a soft amber. I am in love.

In the bottle: It smells like sweet sticky bubble gum. Mmm

First on: Bubble gum with hints of citrus, lotus and violets

After a few minutes: The Lotus and violet scent is predominant now

After 20 minutes: Now it's smelling like wax and fading very quickly.

It's a shame that this one doesn't agree with me, I really enjoyed the first few minutes with it.

weird i thought this was all honeysuckles, i was so expecting honeysuckle reviews :P i am unsure of what lotus smells like is it similar to honeysuckle?

that is the only smell i get from this no fruits, no amber, just that honeysuckle type smell and alas i am not a huge floral fan so off to swaps w/ her

eta i went and sniffed my lotus single note and it is kinda bubblegummy so i have no clue where or what the honeysuclish smell is

Edited by shelldoo

ACK. My body chemistry does HORRIBLE things to this scent. Maybe it's the lotus. Anyway, it twists this scent so it is sweet but has that funky kind of off smell that paperwhite narcissi have. Must wash off.

Forbidden Fruit

Preconceived Notions: Ooh. I like the sound of this!

In the vial: Apples, at first, then ylang ylang

On me:

At first, the original, “in the vial” scent strengthens to an almost overpowering sensual overload of fruit, honey, sweetness and heady bliss, then it gradually recedes, with the ylang ylang coming on strong. This is slightly sweeter than I normally like, but it is luscious and divine nonetheless. “Forbidden Fruit” is an apt name.

Over time: More fruits come out along with a soft smoky (musk?) ylang ylang. Otherwise, not much change, though it does get softer and sweeter as time wears on.

Overall: Very intoxicating. It’s a keeper.

Forbidden fruit.

Wet/in vial: sloghtly over-ripe berries with a plastic-chemical undertone. Lotus? I smell sweet, pungent too sweet.

dry down: berries but not real berries-lipgloss berries.

hours later: just the berries-but artificial berries. Like... the lipgloss and perfume I'd have worn while experiencing forbidden fruit at age 14.

Forbidden Fruit smells almost like single-note lotus to me. There is a whisper of fruit -- is it peach? -- but it almost seems like an afterthought. I like lotus very much, but there are other lotus blends that I prefer (like Muse and Paris), so Forbidden Fruit does not stand out as special to me.

However, if one is looking for a good way to get acquainted with lotus, this might be a good place to start, as fruit is quite complimentary to the tart sweetness of lotus.

Forbidden Fruit:

Wet: .. Juicy Fruit gum?!

Drydown: description is accurate: white flowers, amber and citrus. Very well blended.

Longterm Wear: Potential big bottle here. :P This is a great scent!

the lotus and citrus fruit are the most prominent notes on me. this reminds me somewhat of the sarah michael's tiger lily scent (but that could be because of the jergen's glow lotion i'm wearing too).

Forbidden Fruit bends sinister for me, unfortunately.

Just like my actual first, it seems inviting and fun initially, then takes me to a place I don't want to be.

Sour and bitter. I just can't wear this one.

and the amber sings: "oops, i did it again! played with your nose, got lost in the pain!"

cause it did, you know.

however, a friend of mine who has a much better relationship with amber than i do declares it to be a wonderful warm floral with just a tiny tad bit of citrus-y goodness.

do you see what i could have had if it weren't for the amber?!

I really like Forbidden Fruit. It's the first scent that I consider almost heady tropical floral that I found with bpal and I love it. Thick, soft, velvety, heady petals of a lotus flower. Sweetened by amber, very lovely. This is a wonderful scent to fall asleep to as if you are on vacation somewhere tropical. Nice. I'm really so taken up with the lotus and amber, I don't get fruit from this. And I am glad :-)

It smelled like bubblegummy fruit.... it was all bubblegum, reminded me of Jailbait in that respect. At first (sniffing in the imp) I thought it was interesting, light, fruity, soft... and when I applied it to my skin it turned into powder on me with a faint hint of Bubble Gum. Not my thing. :P

Forbidden Fruit: I got this as an extra imp from someone, I had been dying to try it.

In the Vial: Lotus and Apple maybe? It's something Fruity and Juicy...

Wet: Lotus and Citrus... I could swear it's Lotus and Apple, but I'm not quite sure... I can smell the Citrus though...

Dry: Lotus, Mixed with Apple, and Citrus. So very sweet, Fruity, and Citrusy all at once... Yummy!

Conclusion: It's very nice but I think I like some of the other Lotus blends more... Undertow, for instance, Or Black Lotus, but I will use up the imp of it!

first impressions: forbidden fruit smells like juicy fruit gum. not how tes wants to be thought of. juicy, yes. edible, yes. but, no. no thank you.

the lotus is very strong. almost overripe smelling. i couldn't get much else because of the lotus. never could pick out the amber, looooooong after the dry down.

simply typing (which gives you an idea of how far away my wrists are from my nose) the lotus is overpowering every other scent.

this one will be swapped.