Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Alice Aforethought

Fenris Wolf

Fenris Wolf: Diabolus.

The raw, untamable power of chaos. Rosewood, amber, red musk and a dribble of red sandalwood.

This is a very masculine combination, dry, spicy and fairly dark but with some rounding, warmer notes in there too.

When it first goes on, it's got a hint of fine, very dark chocolate about it - the snap of the bar when it is first unwrapped. But then the warm, woody floral and the solid power come out, and this one lingers for a long time

I can see the chaos in there - there's an unpredictable streak with the surprise of the mellow notes in that dark polished surface.

This is a beautiful, very sensual scent on my SO, and I might just get some for me, too...

I also think that this is more of a masculine scent I smell mostly the musk and the amber. I used the imp on my son. It smells good though. :P

This goes on heady and sweet, and even a little floral.

It quickly tempers out to a woody and slightly piney scent as it dries. After 2 hours the wood fades into the background and the musk makes an appearance. I'm left with an understated, slighly masculine, elegant, handsome, dignified aura. Like a gentleman werewolf.

This smells good on me and I think I'll keep the imp, but in general I prefer strictly woody scents like Loup Garou that don't have dark musk in them.

I rather like this one :P It's sweet, strong, and has a definite depth of character. "Gentleman werewolf" is the perfect description. It doesn't have much staying power on me, but it has enough, and reapplications are worth it! Amber and musk are wonderful together.

Wet, all the notes are perfectly showing their beauty: the rosewood in it's sweet rosy wood glory, the spicy resinous amber, sweet red musk and the soft woody sweetness of sandalwood balancing it out. In this stage, I'm ever so slightly reminded of Snake Oil, but Fenris is totally without the round sugary slightly syrupy feel Snake Oil has. As it begins to dry down, it becomes a slightly dusty and warm rosewood complimented mostly by the sweetness of the musk. It’s just gorgeous and makes me think of a huge highly polished dining table with high-backed chairs in an old but well-kept house. The sun is shining through the window and warming the wood. Finally, it becomes a dry, slightly sweet rosewood. I don’t find it overly masculine, but it would be nice on a man (in fact, I do find it nice as I tried it on mine) if not a bit sweet, which would very probably add to its allure! I very much like Fenris Wolf...it wraps itself around me in an oh so very elegant, sometimes serene, yet undeniably sensual way.

Fenris Wolf is absolutely gorgeous! Its a warm, resiny woodsy sexy scent which sweetens as it wears. Its similar to Golden Priapus, but where that was medicinal and golden/green, Fenris is darker, warmer (furrier?!) and reddish in my mind.

A brief mental picture (ignore if you don't like this kind of rambling! :D ):

I'm in a forest and I've met this forest dwelling man and he's sheltering an injured or young wild forest animal (stoat? fox?) in between a leather waistcoat and his bare skin and I'm leaning in to say hello to it and I get a whiff of wild animal and skin and forest... Its a warm, wild and fiercely loving scent.

I got an imp for my boyfriend to try - its easily the best of the bunch I chose for him and I'll definately be ordering a big bottle. I will wear it myself too - & I think it will also make a great warming autumn/winter bath when the 5ml arrives or meditate with it & I'll make journeys back to that forest and see what i find because it's bringing back memories I don't think were made in this life ...

I love it when my imagination's triggered like this :P

Again, one of those scents that*s difficult to describe - very warm on my boy, and really makes me want to nibble him (probably the amber and cedar doing that). It suits him quite well, and is...a cozy smell, for lack of a better word. Again, if I can convince him to wear this, I*ll be happy. :P

Kethry

My lords and lovelies, you haven't overlooked the wolf have you?

This is a good cross of belladonna with de Sade, leather and greeenery. a great male, but still green scent. the smell of fall, all the dying trees, and a bit of burning, but a whif of green under all.

One of my favorites, I'm suprised there isn't a better review.

The fennris wolf eats the sun, eventually....

This is definitely a "warm and wild" scent, as the other reviewed stated. I bought this for my husband and also tried it myself. On first sniff it is like a powerful incense and reminds me of Cathedral because it is so richly woodsy and resiny , but the dry down is considerably different - much edgier. It is incredibly long lasting, probably because of the amber. I woke up this morning with a faint and lovely hint of it still on my wrists

This is great! It is Spellbound, but without the roses and with some pine. Just beautiful.

Dark and incensy, almost like an old dark wood paneled church, in a pine forest.

I put some on my husband, then I put some on me, and it smells wonderful on both of us. He says we can't smell the same though, so I'll just wear Spellbound.

He wants a big bottle! I told him I'm always happy to plan an order for him :P

I bought an imp of Fenris Wolf for my boyfriend to try.

He never got the imp, and he may not even get the 5ml I ordered a week later!

I didn't really smell the pine on Fenris, or any "green" or mossy notes at all, for that matter. I think I missed the initial "bite" it was supposed to have and skipped straight to mellow, elegant loveliness. I smelled red musk, rosewood, and sandalwood.

Violentkitten was right...Fenris sweetens as it dries down. It goes on as a kind of dry, golden-y wood and sweetens to a better-than-skin smell. It's very light and I needed to reapply in the middle of the day. When it sweetens up, it does so in a way that's not cloying, foody, or flowery-it's this subtle touch of femininity in the middle of warm enveloping dry notes.

Golden wood- I think that about sums it up. Fenris absolutely glows off your skin and makes your whole body feel a few degrees warmer. It combines to smell like exactly what you wish your real skin did.

In a way, it reminded me very much of Scherezade, except without the saffron and spices. They both capture that non-perfume,edible-skin feel that you just can't find at Sephora .

My only complaint is that it is too faint to do anything but slather. Get two imps, at least :P

Whoa- this smells just like Czernobog, except a little stronger and more earthy, and a little less spicy. Could almost be gender-neutral, but is leaning a bit towards masculine. I think I'll give it to Hypothermya's boyfriend...I'm sure she'll appreciate it. :P

-Rae

I bought this imp to be a stocking stuffer for my boyfriend, but I had to go and give it a try to make sure I'll like him smelling like this. If I didn't, I'd pass it on to my roommate.

On me, this sort of "dirt" smell predominated everything else while wet, but Fenris Wolf managed to dry out to be something quite pleasant to the nose within a matter of a minute or two. The smell is woodsy, sweeter than I thought. It actually works well as a unisex scent once the initial man-dirt smell goes away, or at least on me anyway. Very sexy.

I don't have the imp of Loup Garou anymore, but in comparison, I prefer Fenris to Loup. Loup smelled like Vicks on me, whereas Fenris is the inside of the bark. Musk works well on me, and I'm hoping that it will work equally well on the boy.

This one's definitely going in my boyfriend's stocking. If he likes it enough, which I hope, I'll be willing to buy him a bottle of this for Valentine's Day.

-doreen

Edited to add: The fragrance has gone absolutely amber on me. In my opinion, this is a good thing, as Beth's amber really rocks my world, however some of you may have different reactions to it. This was the sweetness that I found in Fenris Wolf that I mentioned before.

Edited by feline.by.design

Amber seems to be one of the scents most suceptible to changing as it ages.

When I first got Fenris Wolf, probably just under a year ago, it was very masculine and very harsh. Now it's still got all of those harsher notes, but the amber has gone very very honey sweet. It makes fo an odd smell, like sweet tree bark, maybe?

My friend gave me her imp of Fenris because it didn't agree with her....DAMN am I glad that she did, because this is wonderful! :P

This blend is very exotic and mysterious. The rosewood and musk create this deep, sweet base that is gloriously sexy. The amber adds a soft, dusty whisper and the sandalwood a perfect crispness. I can see myself reaching for the Fenris when I am in the mood to go out prowling at night :D

Of all of the 'masculine' blends that I have tried [and I have tried many because I tend to enjoy traditionally "masculine" notes], Fenris Wolf has got to be on the top of the list, right up there with Severin. I know a lot of us BPAL girls wear Severin, and I plan on ordering a bottle of Fenris for myself as well. Severin is the perfect crisp, clean masculine scent and Fenris is the perfect dark, primal and mysteriously sexy masculine scent. Don't be afraid to give it a try, especially if you gravitate towards musks or woodsy scents!

Edited by Theravada

I applied this without checking the description first so had no idea what to expect. In the vial and immediately on my skin this was sweet which I hadn't expected from the name. The sweetness became woody, almost herbal. There was a green-ness there but it was faded and yellowing rather than sharp.

Before an hour had passed the scent was beginning to fade and before the 3 hour mark there seemed to be nothing left at all although I'd applied it heavily. It was much later in the day that I realised a faint muskiness had developed.

I was very attracted to this in its woody phase but the fragrance is just too short lived to warrant buying again.

In the Bottle: A warm sandalwood.

On Me: Behind that warm sandalwood, every now and then there is a whiff of a resiny scent that really sweetens this base up. Right now its very warm, closing in fact, a deep sultry scent that, whereas it isn't too powerful, still tends to cling to your body and weighs it down or closes it in.

The wood is opressingly close, like trees so close that they begin to have branches that permenantly fuse together or fur so thick that you lose your hand when you run your fingers through it. Its dense, so dense that you lose yourself in it. There is a tiny bit of a citrus scent in here as well.

All in all a gorgeous scent that I will have to get a bigger bottle for when I run out of the imp.

Woodsy and almost smokey and a little musky. This is wild and feral, darkly so, like a wolf slinking through dark forest. Defintly masculine despite the slight sweetness of sandalwood and the fullness that the ambers give to this. This was decidedly not me, but might be more in line with what one of my friends was looking for so I'll pass it onto him.

Since I gave a bit of a thumbs down on my first BPAL review, I'll flip the tone and review this one.

I originally got Fenris in a group of imps Christmas 03. This one I added to the list because of the name.

I was pleasantly suprised that this was my favorite on all of my samples as the descriptive notes themselves were not too exotic or complex.

What I really like about Fenris is the woodsy quality without an overload of cedar, which just overbears just about anything its mixed with.

Wet, its does, as I may have read elsewhere, smell almost of chocolate. As it dries, the sandalwood/resinous scent becomes more and more prominent and warm. I have never smelled rosewood raw, but I'll guess this is what lend the chocolate sensation. The amber in this sweetens, but the woods keep the amber from forming a "playdoh" cloying sweetness that I often get with amber. It does have a lot of similarities with Czernobog, but I prefer Fenris to the former by FAR. Ultimately a nice masculine mix that altogether reminds me a bit of M7 by YSL.

Thumbs up from the Wulfe.

fenris wolf; i first mistyped fenris woof after taking a big noseful of this from my wrist and flopping my paws on the keyboard. HOLY moly is this mossy! wow! for the first time i can say "Moss! that's what that smells like!" odd, since it's not part of the description. :D if i were warmer, there would be more musk wafting, wouldn't there.. cold blooded people need wafting perfumes too! :weep: i'm smelling a warm dark slightly spiced wood, and it's really interesting! i haven't had an oil yet that smelled so very much like a specific object in nature.

boyscent. a bit more evergreen tang noticeable as it goes through drydown, and a warmth built into it starts to emerge. i will wear this and be boyish, it's woody and dark and deep, and i don't think it knows its own strength. after half an hour i lean in to sniff and it's woody, and that's about all. maybe i should be running around and warming it up, seeing what a little body heat and natural musk could do to help bring up the oil to wafting temperature.

hm, on me it's spicy wet cracked open live wood, on a man this might be a rather scary smell. i snort my wrist again.. no, on a man this might be the cuddle stuff of dreams. bizarre, i can't make up my mind. i'm having very sexually ambivilent responses to this one. :P

i hope Wolf Moon is similar...

ah.. and now i read the desc and .. look at all the red/brown ingredients! and i really thought this sniffed moss green and wet dark brown and everything about deep woods and fallen logs. odd! it's a keeper, definitely. and it's also a "make my brother" try it, too.

[oh, and if you are slightly bored with the gentle wood scent, and want to try to add something to the mix, DO NOT choose Wolf's Heart. short story; you will smell like BBQ sauce.]

Edited by Unseelie

In the imp, this smelled like a slightly more male Belladonna. Same "oomph" to it, but less floral and deeper.

On, it retains the same quality, but gets a heck of a lot manlier. It smells pretty mossy on me :P and I HATE mossy scents, so that wasn't a good thing. I smell some amber I think, which warms it up, and woody notes too..but there's definitely something earthy and almost slightly spicy mixed in. It's definitely masculine to me..the throw has something musky-manly that I traditionally associate with cologne.

I'd like this on a guy but I'm still not terribly crazy about it. The whole "spicy moss" thing is slightly icky to me.

This is *the* wolf scent to me!

I am so glad I was finally able to swap for it.

It makes me think of being curled up next to a wolf, warm in a den, which is somehow glowing with a golden light.

Beautiful!

I got this one specifically for my man. And on him it's dreamy.

In the bottle it smells safe like a spring time in the forest. But on Matt it takes a darker turn and is deep and earthy, with a little bit of sprce underneather. Like the wolf stalking and lusting after Little Red Ridding Hood at night. Matt loves this scent and I love it on him. Out of all the scents he has this is his number once choise and is the one he wears most often.

wow....when wet this smelled completely pine, or evergreen of some sort

dry it becomes very beautiful, rosewood steps up the evergreen smell is gone amber, musk they all just blend beautifully simply lovely blend!

With Fenris Wolf I think I have tried all of the amber and red musk scents currently available -- a combination that I am very fond of. Spellbound has it, plus roses -- Sin has it, plus cinnamon (I forget if it technically has musk, but it has the same strong amber and warm smell at least), Scherezade seems to have it as well, with a bit of dry spiciness. Fenris Wolf shares something in common with all of these, though on me the amber and musk really dominate.

Actually, after it dries a little Fenris Wolf smells exactly like Sin. It doesn't have cinnamon in it, yet there's still a slight spice that comes out when it is dry. I think the amber must really take over on me, and it becomes sweet, golden and slightly spicy (where is that coming from??). There is darker, woody component which I recognized as sandalwood but it is never distinct, it is obscured by the amber glaze.

This is a great scent for me, as I like this family of scents, but it is so similar to Sin that I don't think I would need a separate bottle of this. A little woodier, a little less spicy, but overall it's a lovely sharp woody amber. I would say that if you were torn between this an Sin, get Sin if you want a shot of cinnamon and get Fenris Wolf if you don't!