Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A diasporic take on an ancestral dessert: braided chocolate rye bread with a sliver of almond paste filling.

This smells like an upscale yet old school bakery. A bit 'bready', a bit of chocolate frosting and the almond paste isn't a marzipan note to me...more like a frosting note? I wish I could be more accurately descriptive. I might just go to the amazing little bakery around the corner and pick up something decadent because this is making me drool, lol. If you like bready pastries, this might be up your alley. I love it.

I'm always amazed that chocolate perfumes can smell so different from one another! I have several, and each is unique. This one is truly a chocolate babka- smells a bit bready with decadent chocolate. Very small amount of almond, but it seems to blend in with the chocolate. This is realistic. Happy to have this in my collection!

This starts off smelling like marzipan coated with dark chocolate on me and gets less chocolate-y over time. The almond paste loses some intensity as time goes on, too, and eventually, it settles into a very light almond scent with a bit of chocolate breadiness.

I have never had any kind of babka (heresy, I know! I need to rectify this), so I can't compare this to the real thing. I do think it is nice, but I wish it were stronger on me.

I've never had a babka, so I can't compare it to that. However, I love almond horns and that is what this perfume makes me think of. There's a lot of toasty almond in this covered with dark chocolate. There is a bready component, which also makes me think of a chocolate croissant covered in almonds. Sometimes almond notes smell more like bitter almond than the actual nut, but this definitely smells like a lightly roasted sliced almond. It's very nice!

This smells like a chocolate croissant to me. A nice bakery chocolate. Sweet and fluffy pastry and not yeasty. Very nice. 

TIL rye is sneaky. Stealthy tip-toed bread.

Chocolate babka goes like this: chocolate marzipan, chocolate marzipan, chocolate marzipan... RYE. 

Well, the chocolate is still present. But in a burst of scattering crumbs and crust-flakes, rye jumps out from behind marzipan and stands in front of it, relegating it to obscurity.

So, sort of kinda chocolatey rye now.

I love braided bread and chocolate desserts (delicious and beautiful to look at) and this smells like a flaky croissant, just slightly buttery, with melty chocolate filling and a little bit of cinnamon coming through on my skin.  I can't pick out anything almond-y exactly, but I do smell a hint of rye bread in the drydown, and this is a lovely, strong, bready pastry and chocolate scent.

Chocolate Babka, Syrnyk, and Nightingale are all beautiful, unique gourmands.

This is very chocolate-y on me! I'm not really getting anything bread-y; it's just thick, syrupy chocolate, almost like there's some honey in there as well. My skin amps chocolate though, so that could be drowning out the almond and bread notes. It's yummy and decadent but I was hoping for more bread.

Oooh chocolatey rye bread! It goes on more chocolate at first, then a light but distinct rye bread scent joins in. The almond is not loud at all, but brings a subtle sweetness. I like this more than I thought I would. 

Wet, Chocolate Babka is a whole lot of chocolate -covered marzipan (one of my favorite sweets!). As it dries down, a distinctive rye note emerges, and eventually the almond fades so it's a chocolatey rye.  This has pretty good throw (rare on me) for the first couple hours at least.  Really nice and now I want to taste chocolate babka!