Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

The Song of the Carp

Bolts of deep blue silk with Laotian oud, hinoki wood, blue chamomile, rose absolute, Indian jasmine, sea salt, and patchouli. 

wow - blue chamomile and strong patchouli right off the bat here, with a very fresh backdrop of springtime by the seaside. 

the patchouli is kind of dominating this one right now, but it is extremely fresh from bpal, so i am very interested to see how this one ages and smells in a few weeks, or even in the next few days. 

this actually really strongly reminds me of Antares by Alkemia:

Spoiler

Notes listed in Antares by Alkemia: A perfumed ode to the night sky of the Sonoran and Chihuahuan Deserts and Antares, a mesmerizingly beautiful orange star also known as the 'Eye of the Scorpion.' Queen of the Night, Dried Wild Roses, Mandarin, Nicotania, Oakmosses, Cactus, Juniper, Acacia buds, Fir Resin, Clary Sage, Cedar Needles, Labdanum, Guaiac Wood, Germander, and White Patchouli lightly bathed in dewy Water Musk.

i think the patchouli in Song of the Carp must also be a "white patchouli" - and it wouldnt surprise me if queen of the night or nicotiana or something akin to the "water musk" were hidden in this blend as well.

overall: fresh & sharp - springtime - very sophisticated

a blend that feels like white patchouli & clean/sheer white florals. watery & musky.

as a person who doesnt actively love either patchouli OR florals, this is actually a win.

the florals are delicate and in the background, masked by the watery/musky/overall sharpness of the entire blend and the patchouli. 

i can't say that it's what i was expecting, but honestly i am pleasantly surprised! i'd definitely recommend trying this one out if you are curious.

I let this sit for a while...all I could smell in the bottle was JASMINE.

The story remains the same. In the bottle it is all JASMINE. I decided to go for it anyhow...

I can tell there are notes behind the JASMINE but it is mostly JASMINE, and not the night blooming/sambac sort that I love, either. If I try reeeeeeally really hard, I can smell chamomile and rose. I truly wish any other note was the star of this show and I am hoping, with time, that the JASMINE will settle down. 

30 minutes in, I'm smelling a very blue scent that reminds me of silk, lol (yay for imagery!) and now I am curious if the oud here is of the poudh vaniety or if the Jasmine is to blame...cannot tell.

Oddly enough, I kind of like this. 

I just read the first review and had a chuckle - how different we all are! Fascinating. I wish I got patchouli and chamomile, which is why I went for a bottle and not a decant. I have hope.

Another 30 minutes has passed and I can detect the salt. I have been thinking how this might layer really nicely with It Wasn't Just a Phase, which is one of my favorites. Still no patchouli yet!

4 hours on...I can barely smell it but what I can smell is a lovely shade of blue chamomile. Extremely complex wearing perfume and I am so glad I have a bottle. I can't wait to see how this smells in a year or two.

Eta (24 July '22) this has smoothed out and is fantastic. It's the same jasmine but it blurs much quicker now. Silky, salty blue is the imagery. Very nice.

Edited by HerbGirl

If you enjoyed the Laotian oud of Leave Her, Johnny, you might want to check this one out - it's a cooler cousin that still has oceanic appeal. I am getting that lovely oud note alongside rose, jasmine and salt (the jasmine is being nice for me) over hinoki and patch - not sure about the silk or chamomile notes, but this scent does feel blue in color.

As with Johnny, this one has a nice amount of throw and staying power. 

On first sniff I get rose and oud, and then the patchouli immediately bursts forth as well. I love how the oud sweetens and amplifies the patchouli! I’m not picking out any jasmine, chamomile or sea salt. Rose and patchouli suits me just fine. This is a beautiful, feminine floral blend, great for any occasion.

When I sniffed this right out of the mail, I was 100% sure I'd made a horrible mistake. All I got was indole, indole, indole! It's been sitting for about a month now and has been slowly but surely calming down, at least to the point that I can start to call the scent a little 'blue.' Can't really pick out any other notes—maaaaaybe a little chamomile or oud—and it's still pretty indolic wet on skin. Not totally convinced on this one yet, but I'm curious to see what happens as it settles further. Just have to decide if I have the patience! I'll probably give it another few weeks at least and a few more tests before I decide to destash, but if it stays as is, I'm definitely leaning that direction. Wish it played little nicer on my skin!

EDIT: Okay, it's calming down a LOT with more wear. Still not sure if I'd be willing to put up with the indolic opening stage, though.

Edited by zipegs

this starts with the 'blue silk', oud, chamomile and sea salt i believe. it's kind of aquatic but not in the typical way. i am finding it difficult to describe, but must say that this oud is one of the better i've tried in bpal scents-not as barnyard as some others have been on me. i find this cool but also earthy. i get more woods, patchouli and florals as time goes on. it's very unique, and i can't recall smelling anything quite like this. it has a bit of a vintage vibe and i also think it's fairly unisex. once it dries down it's like florals and woods and somehow reminds me of dior's poison without the tuberose but jasmine--it has that similar feel. very opulent and vintage smelling. this one is a unique stunner if you ask me.

Edited by theseagrows

Silky blue musk, soft blue chamomile, jasmine, and rose.

More jasmine is coming out on my skin than rose, but they are playing together reasonably well for two such divas. The blue "silk" musk and chamomile are a little more potent for me than the flowers. Especially the musk. It's really kind of a lot.

Musky musk is musking all over the place on me lately. The musk is a little too much for me in this one.

Such an interesting scent. The blue musk and salt gives a fresh, seaside vibe. The deeper notes of oud, patch, and hinoki with the florals has a really classic perfume vibe, and the salty ocean air adds such a unique element. A really smooth scent with no one element really sticking out to me. 

wow. 

fresh on the skin the oud comes off strong, but it dissipates literally within 5 seconds. 

it settles into this gloriously blue green vibe, smooth as silk. it toes the line between dirty funk (oud, patch, salt) and clean (green chamomile) really well. this is such an interesting blend, and one that is totally wearable and not just atmospheric. 

going to be looking out for a bottle! 

Resins, oudh, and blue musk. This one is moody, funky, and definitely in the melacholic blue musk realm. Medium throw and wear length.