Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Marshmallows, Gumdrops, and Peppermint Canes

No anise on me for those worried. In fact, not really any spice at all! Maybe a tiny bit if clove if I really search but it blends in behind the peppermint. Lots of peppermint and clouds of marshmallow. Gumdrops in the background adding extra sweetness. I'm excited about a peppermint forward perfume, it's refreshing somehow and the marshmallow compliments it well. 

agreed with @wolf_truffles about no anise, i definitely am not smelling any - but i can detect a little bit of clove, and cinnamon. 

there’s a LOT of gumdrops for me, a bit of peppermint, not much marshmallow. it smells kinda like red hots and gumdrops had a baby, and 85% of the dna comes purely from the gumdrops.  😂 

i think i like it? i’ll definitely test again in a few days and see if the spices calm down on me, as i was hoping for much more marshmallowy gumdrops 💘💫

On me this was a really nice marshmallow mint scent. I didn’t get any clove or anise. Maybe it would come out with some aging. Only bummer was the throw wasn’t very big, and my skin seemed to eat it up sadly. Ended up swapping it. 

Clove and cinnamon with a drop of something bright in the bottle; can’t tell if it’s the peppermint or the gumdrop. Goes on a dry spices with a wee splash of wet gumdrop. Both notes are good but they don’t blend; they are clearly co-existing, and they aren’t happy about it either.

The spices start to fade as it dries, and the gumdrop/artificial jelly note comes forward, but it’s turning stale, or maybe that’s the spices beating the gumdrop back, I’m not sure. Once it's dry, it's completely about the spices, and the Lab's “the spice rack exploded” blends never appeal to me.

No marshmallow, no vanilla, no anise. No peppermint! I was kinda hoping for “Lick It plus Gumdrops.” @kaileycatface I think it's hilarious that we got exactly opposite impressions. Skin chemistry is so weird.

Edited by Soupy Twist

Wow. WOW. This was a whim of a decant, but it has knocked my socks off. Old-fashioned candy store is such a great description for Marshmallows, Gumdrops, & Peppermint Canes's overall vibe right out of the gate. All sorts of things you would smell from a shop in the 1880s. This is not a modern kind of sugary candy store, oh no. This takes it way back to a more sober, less corn syrupy time.

The notes that swirl high in this atmospheric melange are an effervescent mint, the cinnamon and clove of the spices, and a floofy marshmallow that I recognize from Marshmallow & Black Plum duet, my favorite scent from 2021. This marshmallow is really special. It has a sweetness that originates in mallow root rather than in sugar crystals, which gives it that extra POOF on the skin instead of going to a syrupy place. It is exquisitely balanced by the spices, which harmonize on a dark wavelength that is reading super old-timey to me. Like back in the day when they would put anise and cinnamon and different spices in candies and you would scoop them out from a glass jar with a scoop and even the sweetest candies weren't very.

In case you're scared of the anise, I think here it is very subdued compared with some other blends, but I can still pick it up, so it is present and accounted for, just not a screamer! I smell more cinnamon and clove, with that beguiling drop of anise to add a bit of sass. I'm not a peppermint-in-perfume fan, but here it adds to the atmosphere perfectly; peppermint candies belong in this spicy, old-fashioned shop. Gumdrops is the least apparent note, just a hint of sweet gummy fruitiness sprinkled in. (Like a more spicy Marshmallow & Black Plum. Delicious!)

I didn't even expect to really dig this blend, but holy cow, I've been wearing it all the time ever since I got it. It's got this weird wonderful cozy vibe that is inexplicably comforting. I am absolutely grabbing a full bottle of Marshmallows, Gumdrops, & Peppermint Canes as a totally unique scent in my collection.
Edited by starbrow

Marshmallows, Gumdrops and Peppermint Canes. Hey! I put off testing this because it was one of the first Yules I saw being destashed on the regular. But, it is *nice*.  I definitely can smell background spices, but as a cinnamon amper, they are not causing any issues here,  I do not smell the marshmallow per se, but the overall experience is poofy candy. I agree with @starbrow who said it was like a 1980s candy shop. My grandfather owned a little country grocer with wooden floors and candy in barrels called “Sunny South Market”. I am also reminded of Vermont Country Store, a mail order company in the North East that specializes in vintage brands of candies. Its a pleasant jumble, but some might find that part disconcerting as the accords  do not meld, but more fight for dominance… I like that, because it feels as if each candy is individually representing, instead of a melting pot of scent. Loving the peppermint here, its so sweet, like a soft peppermint stick. Not much anise on my skin, but definitely some warmth, like what you would find in gumdrops spice drops!  So fun! Perfectly wearable on me, not overly gourmand, just nostalgic.

On 12/29/2021 at 10:59 AM, wolf_truffles said:

No anise on me for those worried. In fact, not really any spice at all! Maybe a tiny bit if clove if I really search but it blends in behind the peppermint. Lots of peppermint and clouds of marshmallow. Gumdrops in the background adding extra sweetness. I'm excited about a peppermint forward perfume, it's refreshing somehow and the marshmallow compliments it well. 

If you want even more peppermint, seek out any and all of the Lick It variations -- all strong peppermint all the time!

Oh MY am I glad I got this.  I was on the fence at first because I really didn't need another peppermint-centric scent, nor did I want another gourmand that was heavy on the cloves.  This gorgeous blend is NEITHER on me.  In the bottle:  Very soft peppermint and anise, with only the slightest bit of spice.  Very bottle-tight.  Once I put it on, the magic really starts.  On, wet:  Total old-timey candy shop vibes!  When I was a little girl growing up, Mom would make the most amazing gingerbread houses and we'd go to this one old school candy shop to get the candy ribbons and other stuff to decorate it with.  This reminds me of that shop.  On, wet, the peppermint really calms down to more of a peppermint creme, and more of a Marshmallow Peep note and Easter Basket jellybean and gumdrop note creeps up.  This all dries down to a really pleasant, close-to-the-skin, gently sweet candyshop thing; getting vibes along the lines of those different-flavored after dinner puffy cream candies that have a stripe of some kind of flavor in the middle, mixed with aforementioned Peeps, spicy gumdrops, and jellybeans.  The peppermint pretty much melts into the background and only comes forth as a creme note.

Edited by Threemoons
spacing

Wet: It smells like the all of the fillings of a large box of chocolates, combined. So much so that it seems like I can actually smell the chocolate too.

Drydown: Sweet, fluffy nougat (think Three Musketeers) with an intriguing green spice. Sweet, soft, and warm, with a bit of a tingle to it. As it dries the mintiness becomes more apparent, pushing out the warmth with its chill. Instead of nougat I'm now getting cinnamon ice cream, whipped cream, and old fashioned candies.

Dry: Sugar, spice, and everything nice! This definitely captures the nostalgia of Christmas and childhood; like the game Candyland somehow captured in a fragrance. Sweet, soft, cool AND warm, a touch herbal, and full of whimsy.

8 out of 10 bones

This started off as mint chocolate chip ice cream and dried down to clove marshmallow. If either of those is your jam, I would give this a whirl. Medium throw and wear length.

I really thought this was Yule 22' not Yule 21', whoops. Shows how egregiously behind on reviews I am. 

This is very much giving me the scent of those soft peppermint candies, not the little restaurant ones, but the big ones with the red stripes on the outside, it's like huffing into a container of those, the marshmallow combining with the peppermint to really be a dead ringer for this. There's precious little of the gumdrop here, I'm sadly not getting any anise on me, but I am getting the clove. I'm not the biggest on smelling super pepperminty, but if you are this is def one to check out!

This one goes on with a strong whiff of cocoa powder - it's not in the notes, but it's there on my skin.

Dry, I get clovey after dinner mints. 

There isn't any marshmallow poof or gumdrop juiciness. This is more of an old timey spiced candy than the mixed bag of bright sugary flavors that I was expecting. 

It's growing on me, and I expect to get a lot of wear out of this during Halloween and Christmas.