Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Cold Moon 2020

This year’s Cold Moon is a frozen chocolate confection because we’re too deep into 2020 for me to feel like being profound.

Cold moon starts off as a cold, frosty, chocolate milkshake and then some winter outdoor elements, like fir/spruce and maybe even a little snow come out. It's basically like enjoying a milkshake outside in winter. I'm here for it.

This initially goes on like the chocolate from Jólabókaflóðið, with a hint of a coldness under it. Sadly, there's an ozoney slush note that has a hint of aquatic that comes forward, and overpowers the chocolate. This doesn't work for me.

Strangely enough, I don't get any of the chilled chocolate that others have experienced.

It goes on my skin wet like a gooey and warm fudge brownie. Once it dries down a little the chocolate all but disappears and cools to a chilly winter night. After it's dried and I've worn it for a little while I get more of the feeling of walking through an evergreen forest on a snowy evening. I actually love that scent of fresh pine needles, so this one will definitely be a keeper for me. I also enjoy a scent that morphs a lot so I get to enjoy several scents in one wearing.

Medium wear and has a good throw when first applied. I'm curious how this one will smell as a DIY room spray.

Edited by DarkMagelet

Okay, so just got my bottle last night; showered this AM and put it on along with the matching T-shirt, and drinking some fudge-flavored iced coffee from Bones Coffee, so I am all set to go on this one.  In the bottle:  Straight-up perfect Fudgesicle from afternoon snack time at summer camp growing up.  As in perfect sensory memory match.  On, wet:  Fudgesicle note bursts open along with a few bright sparks of some kind of winter garland thing...getting a bit of white chilly floral and a hint of fresh evergreen balsam.  Now it's festive fudge that you get from the candy counter of a Christmas tree ornament shop!  Drydown--after about two hours it dries down to a sort of sophisticated cocoa powder, snow notes, and that chilly winter garland thing with tiny glimmers of balsam in it.  Really pretty and so comforting -- again this is one of the most memory-triggering scents that I've come across in a while.

On 12/24/2020 at 2:36 AM, DarkMagelet said:

Strangely enough, I don't get any of the chilled chocolate that others have experienced.

It goes on my skin wet like a gooey and warm fudge brownie. Once it dries down a little the chocolate all but disappears and cools to a chilly winter night. After it's dried and I've worn it for a little while I get more of the feeling of walking through an evergreen forest on a snowy evening. I actually love that scent of fresh pine needles, so this one will definitely be a keeper for me. I also enjoy a scent that morphs a lot so I get to enjoy several scents in one wearing.

Medium wear and has a good throw when first applied. I'm curious how this one will smell as a DIY room spray.

How do you do DIY room sprays?  Thanks!

Despite how simple the description is, this one's a real morpher.  As a big fan of cold things I had pretty high expectations for something called "Cold Moon" and this oil really hit it out of the park.  It begins with the tiniest hit of chocolate and a frigid blast of frozen conifers.

When I say a frigid blast of frozen conifers, I'm talking "it's raining liquid nitrogen on a Christmas tree farm."  This is the kind of cold that I was hoping for from the peppermint and pine duet.

As time passes it gets more chocolaty.  8 hours later (it lasts quite a long time) I'm pretty much left with exclusively chocolate.

Cold Moon is pleasing to me and I find it decidedly Christmasy somehow.

It's a Fudgesicle! A chilly frostbitten one, with a lot of ice on the chocolate! Good throw and long-lasting - it doesn't seem to change much on me, maybe a touch more chocolate-y over time.

I find myself reaching for this one a lot - I'll be looking at my little cluster of recent purchases and trying to decide, and then I'll end up picking up Cold Moon again! There's something about it that makes me want to keep wearing it. (Awesome Husband's comment: "chocolate, but not like the usual BPAL chocolate. kinda chilly.")

This is like a fudgesicle mixed with the somewhat slushy, sugared confierous snow note from scents like Snow Bunny, NYC Snowball Fight, and Marshmallow Snow Bath Oil. But that snow note is so overpowering that it quickly takes over the chocolate and becomes a single note of that snow for several hours before allowing a bit of chocolate to shine through again beneath the pile of snow.

This was fun to try, but I have enough scents with this snow note, so I probably wouldn't reach for my decant of this. I do like the chocolate, though! I just wish it were stronger on me.

I mainly get a perfumey fudgesicle. It smells like a perfume interpretation of a fudgesicle. Low throw, average wear length.

In the bottle: A piney scent with chocolate undertones.

Upon application: There is an initial waft of powdery milk chocolate. Then this does honest to goodness turn chilly, like fresh air filling a room when you open a window. I get a 'green' vibe from it, like spruce branches, or juniper, though in spite of the blast of pine I got directly from the bottle, I really don't feel like I'm huffing trees all the time. It is just a frosty, outdoorsy scent, with a solid, fudgey chocolate that almost operates on a subconcious level. The overall word I'd describe it with is clean, and it's very pleasant. I got to smell little wafts on me all day, so this is a win.

Verdict: Love it. I don't usually go for the lunacies but I'm so glad I bought a bottle of this. I may need another!

Oooh! Slushy, snowy evergreen notes combined with frosty chocolate! I have reached for this one quite often this month and love it.

This does not smell like chocolate ice cream to me. It's like Tootsie Rolls? But for some reason there's a faint fruity scent too. Not getting any kind of snow note. Either I didn't let this decant rest long enough or my skin chemistry is weird. I wish it lasted longer, it faded a lot within 15 minutes and is almost completely gone about 2 hours later. 

Would not upgrade because it isn't what I expected and the wear time is very low. Which is a shame because the scent is actually nice when it lasts.