Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

The Fool

Mint, vanilla, and some kind of floral at first. Oh! Pennyroyal--could be. I used to have it around my room, but I'd have to find some again to be sure. There's the fake mint note at the top, and possibly some jasmine or lotus underneath? That floral, that only hits at the very last breath of the whiff, is intriguing, and quite elusive. I can't get past that very high-in-the-nose mint to figure out what's underneath, and it's driving me crazy. Settles down to a nice, fresh floral.

At first sniff, the first word that came to mind was "pleasant". This is definitely a pleasant blend--it actually made me smile. I get a lot of mint, and possibly something else kind of sharp, like eucalyptus or pine or something. There also might be something fruity? It's very difficult to put my finger on, but it's really very lovely.

Origin:

The Tarot Series Circle.

First sniff:

Hmm, I can't even begin to identify this. I'm not even really sure how to describe this...sort of...herbal? Minty, maybe? Could be some fennel, maybe? Whatever is in here, it's unusual and not really something I care for.

Wet on skin:

I'm still not sure what's in here, but it smells better on me than it did in the imp. It's almost floral with an herbal/minty/fennel-like background. I'd love to know what's in here because it's very unusual.

Dry down:

Almost like wintergreen and some sort of floral (could be pennyroyal since it's simultaneously minty and floral, but I'm not sure).

The bottom line:

The Fool is definitely unusual but, unfortunately, it's not for me.

I am not fond of The Fool. I don't really like mint for some reason. It's just something that I associate with toothpaste and that's about it. Something about the smell is very off putting to me, and I hate smelling minty (I prefer to be spicy, lol).

The mint stayed strong for 3 hours before I washed this off. In the background was a sort of creamy vanilla and berries smell. The mint isn't so sharp in the drydown, more like a sweet/powdery spearmint. I would say that this is a happy and playful scent. It just isn't something that I would wear as a perfume.

Wet:

Oh dear lord this smells like permanent marker. You know, the big fat black ones. Stinky stink! It's all chemical and.... hm, anise. I am a Fool for putting so much of this on my wrist, hehheh.

Drying:

Hmmmm stronger anise. Maybe slight coconut. :P Ermmmm I wish this had a bit more to it on me because I dislike anise intensely.

After a while:

Floral hmmmmmm .... lilac perhaps? Not a sweet floral, an herby-floral. The anise has faded.

In the bottle:

Very sweet fruity, like strawberry candy.

Wet:

OK, this is making me smile. Now there's mint with the strawberry candy. It's very pretty and exuberant, and very remiscent of the Fool in my tarot deck

Drydown:

For the first twenty minutes, it was like strawberry bubblegum mixed with mint bubblegum, with maybe some herbs in the background (anise, probably) -- cute, although maybe not for me. Unfortunately, it soon turned plastic and became little girl's lip gloss, which definitely crosses the "cute" line for me. Think I'll stick to Strawberry Moon and layer it with mint if I want the initial smell of The Fool.

The first thing I noticed was the mint in it, but I didn't find it overpowering.

As it dried, I started smelling light spring florals, very soft. I didn't get any fruitiness, but the non-mint part of it was definitely light and tangy like some fruit scents can be.

The overall scent reminded me of something but I can't put my finger on it. Something about the floral part of it reminds me of lilacs on a summer evening, with perhaps a touch of lily in it and maybe just a pinch of something green/earthy. When combined with the light, cool mint, it's really nice.

I will keep my samples for sure, and I just might buy a bottle. :P

This has always been the card that symbolizes my life in the Tarot, so I splurged on a bottle. I can pick the notes of mint, probably spearmint along with bubblegum, apple blossoms, and something that smells a little like lemon. It's a light, carefree scent that fully expresses what The Fool is supposed to be. I'm also finding it to be a nice scent when the depression begins to sink in, since Fool keeps me feeling better.

The Fool

Minty, very minty. With a sort of herbal backing note to it. This is one of the strongest minty oils I've tried and unlike a lot of the others, the mint is not fading off into something else.

Fresh springtime scent, very energetic.

In bottle: pennyroyal

Wet: pennyroyal, flowers, plus an odd, rather earthy, almost rotten note

Dry: The odd note disappears. Bright pennyroyal, sweet apple blossom, and I think I detect hyacinth as well. I've been finding that I don't much care for floral scents, at least on me, but the mint (pennyroyal) makes this one more complex and crips, and less overtly floral. It's still not something I would wear regularly, but I'm thinking it might be a nice occasional scent in spring and summer.

In the bottle: Pennyroyal

On my skin: Pennyroyal and what smells like hyacinith.

Later on: Still smells like pennyroyal and hyacinth. Not detecting much else.

First sniff: This is so familiar. It’s bright and fizzy and breezy and light. It’s lemon-lime soda with a smidge of peppermint.

Wearing: Mintyfizzybright. I really like this. Even though I never did figure out what the heck it reminds me of.

In the bottle: Grapefruit? Some tangy citrus, maybe some ozone, and a very small amount of a light mint.

First on: I'm definitely getting grapefruit, maybe some fresh lemon as well. I can smell the pennyroyal more as well now.

Drydown: I can barely smell it at all, and what I do get is a clean, citrusy sweetness, like a very very light lemon vanilla.

Overall: At first, I would have said it was perfect to describe the fool. But it faded so fast, and I generally view the fool as blindsighted and therefore stubborn.

First off, have to thank the generous forumite who sent my an imp of this to try. So, thank you! :P

This reminds me quite a bit of Frost Moon, though I think between the two, The Fool is definitely the one I like better.

Upon application, I get a minty, bubblegum/floral type of scent, with the same underlying hint of rot I get from Iambe. Not a flat-out "animal carcass" sniff, but more like the mere suggestion that something is "off", like fruit that is a little ways beyond it's peak ripeness. The difference is that this sniff fades quickly with The Fool. When it dries down, it is mostly mint, maybe backed up by a floral (I don't know why, but lotus has been coming to mind. I'm probably way off base, though). I have been feeling really good for the last two days since I've been wearing this, & I cannot help but wonder if maybe the oil itself has something to do with it. I like The Fool, & I think I am going to have to get a bottle.

At first, The Fool is spearmint bubblegum. Not just mint, but the gum smell too. Then lilac comes out to play, and for awhile it's an oddly zesty mix. The mint is like having your head in the clouds, and the lilac is like having your feet on the ground, being grounded and calmed by an earthy bouquet. Perfect!

After awhile, I also get this nifty HUMID scent! It's the same smell I get when I stick my head in our hermit crab cage, or like how a reptile cage smells, without any food/poop/animal scent. Just the heavy humidness. It's very hard to describe in scent terms.

At first it's sweet mint chocolate cookies. Then once it was on my skin the evil mint took over. It went to a tingly, dry ground and mint. bummer. I really wanted this one to be good as a scent. I don't know if I will really want to use it like I had hoped because the scent goes so off on my skin. boo!

At first this was all wintergreen and english breakfast tea. I liked it but I have other mint scents. As it started to dry it changed to a fruity blend. In my notes I list it as Perfumed Garden - jasmine + mint. It had a nice tart apple quality to it.

In it's dried phase it smells like my Yankee Candle lilac tart! I LOVE lilacs!!!!

It's so funny...the blends that don't have their own description, I take snippets from the reviews that best incapsulate the majority opinion. This is what I had: "mint/pennyroyal or lilac/apple blossom would go together with fig very well"

It's funny how it really does smell just like that!

Ohhh, a lovely scent. It's a...hm. Odd one tho.

It's like a deep candy scent, but whereas I usually associate candy smells with 'pink' this is...like a green and brown scent, but sweet.

It's as if it's new growth, a new maple branch perhaps, with it's sap flowly so freely right beneath the bark that you can scent the sweetness of it's potential, right on the edge before beginning to rot from the sweetness.

The Fool - At first whiff, it’s 100% minty. When I apply it to my skin, “mint” is again my first impression – but not a sharp, biting mint, more of a soft, rounded, clean mint that is fresh without being sharp. And then, about a minute after I apply, I suddenly detect lilac. The longer it’s on my skin, the lighter the mint becomes and the more I smell lilac. After about 10 minutes, something fruity becomes evident. It’s hard to tell what it is – apple? Pear? It’s difficult to distinguish the fruit because the mint keeps getting in the way. No matter what, this is a beautiful scent and one of the few mint scents I really, really like. I don’t foresee myself wearing this often because the mint makes just a tad too “foody” for me, but I will definitely hang on to my imp because I do believe there will be occasions when this blend will really fit my mood – especially on hot summer days spent outdoors. Really fabulous blend.

In the imp: spearmint? maybe pennyroyal. And something sweet, almost vanilla-ish behind it.

On me, wet: sweet juicy-yet-powdery mint with that vanilla sweetness behind it. This is a very *cold* scent.

On me, dry: a sllightly fainter and slightly more floral mintiness, and less sweet too. Still very cold and bright and with a powdery tinge that just softens it enough to stop it being too sharply cold.

Verdict: I like this - if I'd discovered this before the heatwave of this summer, I'd have alternated it with Nuclear Winter to keep cool. As it is, I'll hang onto the imp and try it on again next time I get overheated.

Very sharp and minty, with possibly a touch of eucalyptus. This is a *very* strong mint, like "singe your nasal cavity" mint. I get a touch of floral behind the mint, but it's pretty subdued. Also maybe a touch of leather? Overall, this is too sharp for me.

Deep and lovely. An herbal, maybe even bitter, mint -- washed with floral reminiscent of lilacs.

Sweet, powdery, almost marshmallow-y wintergreen, tinged with a bit of something fruity and almost alcoholic. I'm not much of a mint fan, but at least this one didn't go weird like mint often does. It might be nicer in the summer.

Smells mostly like wintergreen to me. Like breath mints. It's an interesting scent. It seems like maybe there's some sort of wood note underneath it, too.