Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

The Fool

Ah, the Fool. Gotta love him/her...

Wet: innocent exuberance. This isn't exactly a scent for the young, but it's not mature and sober by a long shot. Immediately I picked up on a sweet mint smell with lots of fir/holly. So immediately I thought of candy canes and Christmas.

Dry down: starts to go powdery on me. Still lots of greens and sweet mint, but quickly fades.

The fade out: no idea how this happened, but the sweet started to make my stomach go sour. Too sweet, too powdery and something lying underneath that was entirely unpleasant. This could take a stale winter day inside and brighten it up as a room scent. But I'm not sure I'd want this floating off my skin again...

this smells like mint and turpentine in the imp. it dries down to a fruity-mint. maybe apple or peach? not really my favorite, as i dont really like fruity scents.

Wet, this is all pennyroyal or mint. Or maybe a combination of both. I’m not usually a fan of minty scents, but this smells pretty good. This is such a happy, vibrant scent. It makes me feel refreshed, and I find it quite calming. I feel like I can concentrate better too, and it occurred to me that there may be some similarities or commonalities with the TAL Concentration.

The pennyroyal burns off (fairly quickly when I tested it last night and not so quickly today) and something floral and fruity comes out. It’s familiar but I can’t place it. It smells like apple. Another wonderful oil.

Wow, this blend successfully manages to be fruity and minty at the same time, without one overpowering the other! I really like the smell of this breathing in, but when breathing out, it has an odd kind of almost urine like smell to me that is just slightly off. I have a really strong sense of smell, so I doubt this would be detected very easily, but it happens to be the dealbreaker for me.... I have had this in a blend before, and will have to sleuth out which note it is that does this for me... maybe the pennyroyal?

In the imp, this is peppermint candy.

On the skin, this is clear, bright peppermint candy - just like those pastel dinner mints.

When it dries, it's a sweet, light mint - nice, but not a WOW.

Oh, mint, I chase after you so.

This on wet was a little minty slightly herbally scent. However, as it dried the mintyness went away, and I had a touch of apple blossom came out, and then as it dried I had berry hints.

This really was a mish-mosh of things, and I am left a little befuddled. It was slightly earthy, and yet not. Slightly sweet, and yet not. It didn't give the impression of florals, nor of anything else. And yet... there's a vague, indescribable quality I can't put my finger on.

Yes, very much the Fool.

Deep golden oil. Very strong MINT(s) and other herbs. Definitely some pennyroyal, alas. Something slightly soapy, and something slightly bitter. Strongly herbal on the whole, masculine.

Peppermint and pennyroyal, very mentholic, sinus-clearing. A bit sweeter, less bitter/harsh on my skin - the peppermint note is almost candyish and reminds me of the note in the Lick Its. There's a slightly rotten floral note which makes me suspect iris, and the soap makes me think lilac - these are not good florals, but old lady florals. Eeek. Much more unisex, even feminine, on my skin.

Oh gods. There are all sorts of horrible florals in this. Lilac and iris and EEK LILAC that came out of nowhere and completely hijacked the entire blend. And the clashing with the mints is atrocious. Strong mints and strong florals really do not work. This is like a bouquet a really dreadful man would send you, that's started to rot.

There is a vague fruit note under this but with the dual superevils of FLORAL and MINTY I can't clearly identify it, but I do think that pear or apple is very likely. I'm leaning towards apple. You'd think this might help redeem the blend but no, it just further adds to the disgusting mayhem.

I have to wash this off, it's just so revolting and nauseating. Pennyroyal, peppermint, lilac and iris over faint apple. The pennyroyal and lilac really amp and dominate the blend. There could be some other herbs here too but who the hell knows. This has REALLY strong throw and longevity.

:ack:

imp: minty sweet floral.

wet: sweet, soft bright mint. so pretty.

dry: this dries to a very soft floral with a waft of mint. much softer than most of my mint scents, very beautiful.

In the imp: Bright and yet somewhat earthy. There's definitely mint or something reminiscent of mint in here, possibly some apple blossom, and maybe a smidge of dirt.

Wet: This is intensely minty. I don't think it's peppermint, spearmint, or eucalyptus. Or, if they're here, it's not just one of those mint notes. I'm thinking it's probably pennyroyal. I'm also getting some bergamot.

Dry: Not as intense on the mint as it was before. The scent stays close to the skin now. I think I may be getting some apple blossom and lilac, but I'm not quite sure. It's a light, clean, herbal, floral scent.

Verdict: The scent is fitting for its inspiration, but it is not something I could see myself reaching for.

I never reviewed this when I first received it, back in 2006. I remembered that it became toothpaste on me, and I amped the mint so much I had to wash it off. I only kept it because it is The Fool. I tried it again and again and each time the mint just seemed too much. I still have my bottle so I thought I'd test it aged.

Wet/Bottle: Fresh, vanilla orchid, mint, something that makes me think of patchouli.

On: Thank the Tarot Gods that this is no longer over the top toothpaste on me! There is a sharpness from the mint, and the sweetness from the vanilla, that makes this quite pleasant... Yes, someone mentioned aniseed, and perhaps that is what I couldn't pinpoint, but then 15 minutes later it's basically all gone.

Dry down: If I sniff hard enough, I think there is a touch of lemon, and herby mint in the background, but it's so faint I'm not even sure. What a cheeky scent.