Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Ylang Ylang, Sandalwood, & Vanilla Absolute

So what I was hoping for here was a cousin to Bath and Body Works' Jasmine Vanilla - I still have some of the old formula, which is so much richer than it's been the last several years, the epitome of dark and sexy vanilla floral. 

This is much brighter. It was a little much on first application - nose-wrinklingly potent ylang ylang with high-pitched candyish vanilla behind it. But within ten minutes or so, the ylang ylang calms down, and the sandalwood comes out to mesh smoothly with the vanilla, and it becomes much more gentle and feminine. Not much throw at all, sits close to the skin, lasts for a good few hours but I have to put my nose to my wrist to really smell it. Probably going to order a backup bottle...

A sister scent would be A Spirit, Katie. 

Hello, ylang ylang! You tropical, waxy, sexy beast. You are forever seared into my memory since that time I spilled a bottle of you in the bathroom. Good times.

This is Ylang Ylang SN for a time, and then some more time. But, after drying, a gorgeous golden sandalwood comes out. It blends well into a sweet vanilla. Candy-sweet, actually, like Marared mentioned. The trio is lovely and well-balanced at this point. 

UNF. This to me is a  super sexy ylang ylang blend. I get a ton of sweet vanilla, some ylang ylang and a base of smooth sandalwood. URGH, I sort of really really love this. Medium throw and wear length.

Yep, this is nice.

Initially, it's a blast of ylang ylang, then rounds out to be balanced with vanilla and sandalwood. Very nicely blended.

I just wish this perfume had more throw and lasting power. After a couple hours I really have to get my nose into my wrist to smell it, which is disappointing because it's just that darn good.

Edit to add: this is fabulous in a scent locket and has better throw and lasting power. I get a little more ylang ylang than on my skin but it’s still nicely blended. Scent locket for the win!

Edited by brineydeep

I've been finding vanilla and sandalwood combos really calming lately, so this is lovely. The ylang ylang starts strong, but the three notes blend together nicely after it dries down. The scent actually stays pretty close to the skin after dry-down, so not a lot of throw. Overall, this is an almost creamy vanilla-sandalwood with the cheerful sweetness of ylang ylang.

Oh god it's so good. In the decant, I get a blast of ylang ylang. Once it's on, a really nice, creamy, not-too-sweet vanilla amps up and blends fantastically with the ylang ylang. The sandalwood is subtle, but it's there under the ylang ylang and vanilla. Eventually, the ylang ylang seems to get stronger tha the vanilla again, but the notes are so well balanced that it doesn't make a huge difference. Overall, a sweet, creamy, sexy vanilla floral. Bottle-worthy for sure. 

this starts with a lovely ylang ylang, which is very creamy, which seems to blend well with the vanilla. after about 5 minutes the sandalwood comes out, warming up the scent a bit. i really like this, just wishing it was stronger and had more projection. i've been craving a YY-vanilla to be honest and this one is quite pretty!

Edited by theseagrows

This smells like it belongs in the Lupercalia update.

It starts off heavy on the ylang ylang, backed by some dusty sandalwood, and some vanilla. Over time, the ylang ylang calms down, and the sandalwood gains strength, along with the creamy vanilla. If you're a fan of scents like Volcano in Springtime, you'll like this one, too.

This is a creamy ylang ylang up front. I have a ylang essential oil and this smells a lot like that-- quite strong on the ylang ylang, and jasmine like, but the vanilla is making it slightly creamier which I like. It reads mostly as a ylang ylang SN at the moment though. As it absorbs there's a slightly dusty feel rather than smell (but it's not dry, it's definitely still creamy). On: It's quite strong on the ylang ylang and I guess that time the essential oil spilt is ruining this for me a little. I like it, but it's not the Love and Sleep fig milk dupe I was hoping for. Actually, no, the more I smell it the more it does kind of remind me of it. Just the ylang ylang is strong. I think once it dries down it might be okay. It's so heady though, and I think the dry sandalwood is starting to emerge. Later: Hmm still a creamy ylang ylang SN. It has a really good throw and I prefer smelling this from a distance. Hours later: it's kinda more fruity and less floral. Skin close. In the bottle, it smells more like a blend. Someone else mentioned ylang ylang amping on the skin and that this is better in a locket, so I might have to do that because in the bottle it does smell nice and comforting and similar to Love and Sleep.

This is beautiful! Simple, but really - there’s no need to be complicated, these three notes merge together perfectly. 

If you think you might like this, get some. It’s very, very nice. 

PS and if you’re craving Antique Lace, this is the closest BPAL I have found to AL to date - on me, anyway :luv2: