Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Moss-green sugar spun lace dusted with mandrake root and sweet aged patchouli, dusty cedar, and crushed toadstools with a cauldron-splash of nightshade accord, tobacco flower, green cognac, and woodsmoke -

…plus a pinch of ethically-harvested, locally-sourced vegan eye of newt and toe of frog.

I am a big fan of this Lace.  😊

Wet, it is very green (like 95% green), a little bit cologne-y, and a little bit sweet, with a little bit of a bite.

Dry, the green dies down a little, and the sweeter notes take a bolder stance. It continues to keep the sharp spicy-bite, which I think counterweighs the sweetness nicely.

I was personally hoping for a little more of the patchouli and mushroom notes. I love The Grave-Pig, so I was hoping for WL to be a little like it, but I can barely place the patchouli, and I definitely can't pick out any mushroom notes.

The cedar, tobacco, and woodsmoke are very nice in this; I think they are my favorite part.

I really expect this to age well; I'm not super into the greener notes, and I have a feeling that they will fade out after a while, leaving the best bits! 👍

After having used this a few times since I first posted my review, I can safely say that Witches' Lace is like Jolly Roger's swampier sister. 😊 WL has the same salty/spicy/crusty quality that JR does (which is my favorite part of JR 😆).

Edited by AirimirOfGondor

I get a very green herby mix over lace, patchouli, cedar, and a whiff of woodsmoke. This is like herbs sent on a nice bonfire out there. Herby, green, smoky. Good throw and wear length.

I'm not as good at picking out "scent colors" as many are on here. This is an all time favorite of mine though. I wish it wasn't limited edition because this could become my signature every day scent if it wasn't. Alas, I shall be hoarding my bottle. 

It starts out almost "bubble-gum" on my skin (similar to High Strung Daisies for me -- WL actually paits with HSD hair gloss amazingly) but that fades away to a beautiful watery, herbal lace on me. I know the other notes are at play here but I am typically garbage at picking the individual notes out. All I can say is I want to bathe in this scent. It's perfect for spring, and when I have it on I cannot stop sniffing myself. 

I tried this back when it arrived and amped the cedar, so I decided to let it rest for several months before giving it another try. Eight months later, I get a lot of moss from this, backed by a much lighter, dusty cedar. I was hoping to get some of the Lace vanilla, but alas, that hasn't happened during either test. It's all about the moss and cedar on me.

I'm glad I got to try this Lace, but it's not a keeper for me. I'll stick with Emerald Lace for my green Lace scent.

Curiously, the strongest note in Witches’ Lace for me is a poopy oudh... It’s surrounded by murky green vibes. I get some of that bubblegum Reine mentioned, just for a moment in the wet phase. It takes at least an hour for the  sneak oudh, or combo of above notes that are imitating, to fade out. By then, the sugar lace emerges, and it’s a soft, muted pale green scent. Where did my friend cedar go? 

Funnily, my partner smelled it at this end phase the first time I wore it, and loved the scent. The re-application had him looking around for a dirty diaper... :wacko2: haha 

I’m hoping the scent shifts after some more aging, because I love the concept and the final drydown is lovely enough to give me hope. 

Edit for new experience~ I opened WL to get a little sniffy for someone, and lo, no funk. :eek: I’ve opened the bottle since the first application and smelled the funk... It’s only been a couple weeks! Yay? Yay! Now I have to give it a new full day test.

Edited by artisjok

I tried this right after receiving my bottle last year. It had a green sour and sharp smell, and was not at all like I had expected. I put it into my box to let it sit, and pulled it out once or twice a month or two later. It was still a no-go. Set it back again.

I pulled this out to try again without reviewing the notes first. Wet, it was still slightly sour, green, and I thought it was going to be time to let it go. Then it did what BPAL does... on drydown, it morphed into the familiar Lace base, with a dusty dry herbal overlay. There was a note that at first I thought was cumin, so I read the notes. Of course, it's the cedar! For some reason cedar and cumin smell similar in my skin. Usually in a bad way. Somehow, this doesn't amp and remains under the surface where I really have to look for it. After an hour, this has softened to a wearable scent for me. Hooray! The notes are well blended at this point, and I think the patchouli has stabilized them to a lovely blend. Keeping this and adding it to my rotation. Finally! 

And this is why I never let my bottles go.

Oh wow. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a decant. It's so good! 

Wet, it's a bit sharp with the moss and cedar, which was still good. Dry, just amazing. It's a beautiful sweet patchouli, with soft herbs and tobacco. It's just a wonderful blend. Can't. Stop. Huffing. 

I was very fortunate to get a decant of this! If Emerald Lace is bright grass-green, this is dark woodsy forest green. I also get a whiff of indole-y sourness (patchouli?) when this is wet on me, but it's not too bad and goes away quickly.

The cedar here is different than the BPAL cedars (mostly Shungas) I've tried -- it's like an old, living cedar tree covered in moss rather than a piece of sawn wood. I don't get much cognac from this one, though it gets much sweeter and Lacier as time goes on, until it reminds me of a witchy, herby, gently spiced tea. A really unique one!

Now this is lovely! This the second Lace that  have tried and I am pleased that works on me much better than Vampire did. I'm getting lots of sugary mushrooms, which sounds pretty weird but it works, mossy woods and lace in the background. This reminds me of the GC scent Death Cap a little. The sugar note dies down a lot when it dries. There's a faint smoke and incense that comes out when it's dry, but on me it doesn't overtake the earthy notes. Really lovely and very witchy, going to cherish this decant!

Let this one rest after travel for sure. Cedar in combination with some of the other notes will complain loudly about the trip. Even now after the better part of a month of rest, I could swear this has narcissus in it, but I like that note anyway. I think these must be swamp witches, in their sugary mossy lace among the cedars. 

Just got this yesterday through a swap and it’s definitely a keeper. It definitely morphs. It’s hard for me to pick out specific notes but I can compare it to other stuff. 

it morphs pretty immediately on my skin rather than whiffed from the bottle. And it’s got a very green quality almost like zestfully clean soap, which I don’t hate. It’s green clean and a bit more stereotypically masculine. 

that calms down pretty fast and let’s the other sweetness emerge. 

it does smell more perfumey than most others, if that makes sense, but I don’t mind. Actually, after a bit reminds me of Dior Addict, which I wore a lot many years ago. According to what I currently like more, though I like this more than that. It’s been very long though since I smelled it and I don’t have any around to compare it with side-by-side, but it definitely makes me think about it. Two commercial perfumes I do have a little bit left of are Viktor and Roth flower bomb, and Terry Mugler Angel. And there is some thing in this that maybe put it in the category with those as well. 

The longer I wear it, though the more it changes into a classic lace bpal scent. And even sort of reminds me of its co-release Sugared Lace, which I adore. It’s sugary sweet and warm, with a bit of green spice. Spice might not be the right word. 

Maybe it’s just because I was thinking about it because I thought I read this in peoples reviews comparing it to having an apple scent, but especially earlier on application and work from the bottle. I do feel like I can smell some red apple in there and I don’t mind. Maybe it’s green apple. 

Yes, I’m glad I got this. And yes I’ll currently wear it. It’s amazing how much my body chemistry and my nose/tastes have changed over the years. 

I want all of the laces!!!  Though there are some I’ve tried that I just wouldn’t really wear like summer lace, which I traded away sadly recently, but I wanted it to go to a new home with people that appreciated at my.

this one’s a keeper. Definitely up there with my favorite laces. But very different. That reminds me a little bit of sugared lace after hours of wear.  It’s much better after it’s dried down and the sweeter notes come out and last and it’s well blended. 

oh, and it also seems to have decent throw and longevity. Which makes me happy because lately it seems like my skin just eats up these oils.