Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
LiberAmoris

Mother's Hot Ghosts

I let the decant rest a few days before reviewing.

The scent is rich and soft. Sadly, on my skin the agarwood goes past "indolic" and right on into "fecal". With the softness of white musk it is very much like a dirty diaper. 

After an hour the fecal aspect has lessened (or I'm getting used to it). There is a note like delicate wood, but fizzy. I think this is the agarwood, it is elegant and interesting to smell. I have only smelled agarwood before in incense so I'm glad I got to smell this.  

I wouldn't wear this as a perfume but I'm sure it would smell much nicer on someone else. My skin chemistry is the kind that highlights indoles.

Edited by Myrrha

Like the poster above, the Agarwood makes the scent very sour, in a very...unpleasant way. I feel like the name should be mother’s hot B.O honestly. I’m afraid to try it again, but if it changes my mind I will update this post accordingly

My first sniff of Mother's Hot Ghosts caused an involuntary throat spasm. Mother's Ghosts are FILTHY. The agarwood here smells like excrement. this is POWERFUL agarwood. I can't smell anything else. I could not bring myself to skin test, although I did sniff several more times out of sheer curiosity. 

HAL 9000, if AI is the future, this ain't it chief.:lol:

Wet: OOOOF. This is one of those rare scents that my nose just crinkles up upon sniffing. Kind of smells like sour body odor. Also, (unfortunately), the throw on this is.. pretty impressive, and overwhelming.

Dry: Okay, it's not as sour as before, and the throw has calmed down; the scent is a great deal more.. baby powder smelling. I guess I'd call this a soured baby powder scent? 

This was.. an experience.

The reviews for this were scaring me, because I often find bpal's oud notes to be fecal and off-putting (which is weird, because I've never gotten that impression from any other companies' oud notes).  I don't find this to be anywhere near as rough as some of bpal's other oud blends, though.  I can see how this has a certain animalic dirtiness, but it's more of a dark brown, feral muskiness than.. poo.  On me, at least.  And I'm really enjoying the fossilized amber and white musk.

On my skin, this reads like a deep, resinous, warm, only slightly powdery amber, with a feral, dark, animalic muskiness and an interesting, clean, glittery gleam from the white musk.  It reminds me of an old fashioned chypre, the sort that is full of labdanum, oakmoss, spicy civet musk, and earthy woods.  The oud has a hint of gray smokiness and pale, gray wood feel, and the white musk makes me think of shiny, mirrored glass. 

I actually enjoy this a lot.  It reminds me of a heavy vintage chypre perfume with some oud and creamy white musk added in.  I usually find white musk to be too sharply musky, but sometimes it's creamy and pleasantly clean with a hint of sweetness, and I'm getting that lovely white musk in Hot Ghosts.

Cat Event Exorcist is a horror show on me, but this one actually smells great on my skin.

Jesus, this one is not for the faint of heart. Baby diaper oudh that then dries down to civet musk, amber, and resin. But with still a whiff of diapers. Great throw and wear length.

In the decant: I just sniffed this, like, eight times. The first time was agarwood with something that made my eyes start to water -- possibly the combination of petitgrain and white musk. In subsequent sniffs, however, both of those notes became less prominent while the amber makes itself known. There is something mesmerizing about this blend -- maybe not in an elegant, sophisticated kind of way, but I'm entranced nonetheless. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's back to sharp oudh and a smell that immediately translates to "lemon" in my head (probably the petitgrain). The eye-watering quality is back as well. I need to sniff this like I need to ride rollercoasters that almost make me pee my pants. 

After that initial phase, however, the agarwood scales back considerably, revealing the petitgrain and the white musk. Soon, it's the white musk and petitgrain that announce the scent's throw, with the oudh a smaller piece of grounding power close to the skin. Even then, it doesn't take the oudh too long even to recede from that. 

This scent ends up being mostly airy white musk on me, tinged with the not-sweet citrus of petitgrain. The oudh is only faintly present at skin level. I can't pick out the amber as a distinct note, but it's very likely trying to bridge these two worlds. It's actually very pretty. Not sure if it's quite good enough on me to justify keeping, but I'm definitely glad to have tried it and pleasantly surprised by the result. 

I don't know why I felt the need to try this (OK, yes I did, the name is hilarious and I refuse to accept that oudh/agarwood is always going to smell like poo to me)

Amber and white musk sounds like my dream scent right now, and I do like petitgrain, and for whatever reason I just decided to pretend this was not going to smell like poo.

It smells like poo. Poo and glittering musk. UGH. Why did I actually put it on my skin? I don't know what I thought might miraculously happen, but it didn't, this still smells like poo, it will always smell like poo.

I think if the purpose of this review were to see how many times I could use the word poo, than it has been a success. Poo!!

Side note: A bit later, it does smell a lot less like poo, but I am still never going to be willing to go through that initial phase to get to the place where it's less poopy.

Ok. I'm gonna try Mother's Hot Ghosts. Even though it smells like FEET! Straight up FEET.

In the bottle: I'm scared. I don't wanna F this G at all, she smells like FEET. As I keep sniffing, I wonder if the FOOT smell has dulled my senses, cause I'm getting some of that lovely amber and white musk. Is it possible? Ugh. Here goes.

Wet: Oh God, POO!! Ew! Why?! Sour, footy poo! I get whiffs of gorgeous, glittering amber and musk, and naively sniff my wrist and am slapped in the face with POO!

Dry down: As long as I don't sniff my wrist, it's beautiful, ephemeral white musk sweetened with dusty amber. Seriously, the poo is gone. Even when I sniff my wrist now. It's only been about 5 minutes. Phew! I thought I was gonna hafta shower! I can smell the petitgrain and the woody note of the agarwood.

Dry: Ok, as long as you can make it through that first stage (just don't sniff your wrist!!!!!), this is actually quite lovely. I get why they used "billowing" in the description. I'm looking for the poo smell, and it's gone. Mostly just white musk and a minuscule sour woody note. Almost like paperwhites, but toned down by a million. I'd totally wear this, actually. Dang, I was so scared to try this! It's a helluva morpher. Now, I can't stop sniffing my wrist. Geez. Ok, Mother's Hot Ghosts, you got me. Kinda reminds me of Jovan Musk (don't tell me no one gave it to you for Christmas when you were a kid!!).

I see one reviewer said it smells like feet.

Not quite accurate for ME. I wish it had been only feet I smelled.

To my nose, Mother has pooped herself in the nursing home and the staff has not come to change her. The initial pungency had me like the Kombucha meme lady, initially grossed out, then I considered it, then I decided once more, no. No.

Then in the spirit of all oudhs I've worn, within 5 minutes that poopy, intensely fecal odor diminished. Fossilized amber and pettigrain remain with a feral animalistic undertone that isn't unpleasant at all. Once again, I'm glad I endured the opening raw-butt smell. The result is lovely.

Why does this smell so awful? There’s nothing in the notes to justify this ghastly odour!!

At first, this smells like unwashed penis, ass crack and sweaty feet.

And then it changes! But does it get better? No, no it does not. Now it smells like the odour that greets you when walking into a bathroom after someone has just vomited up their blue cheese pizza with so much force that they accidentally and quite violently shat their pants. 

But don’t let any of that put you off - after about half an hour it dries down nicely to the smell of sour pee-soaked baby powder and dirty socks and honestly I’m really glad I stuck around for that stage, because I wasn’t really feeling quite sick enough already. 

That’s it. I’m done.