Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
monet

Anubis

... His scent is a blend of holy myrrh, storax, balsam, and embalming herbs.

Imp: Sweet myrrh.

Wet: Arrgh! Sweet overload! MOLASSES ALERT FIVE!

Dry: After this hits my skin it's pretty much game over. Some of the sweetness dies down a bit but this is ultimately just a gross, molasses-y wreck on my skin. I can smell a very faint hint of balsam and there's still a touch of spicy myrrh resin but otherwise it's all sticky sweet molasses all the time. It's really overpowering and unpleasant on my chemistry. A wash off.

Throw: At least it's relatively mild.

Overall: For some reason I think there's poppy or something similar in here. It has that sort of vibe and it's simply not working on my skin. Want to love it, sadly my chemistry just doesn't let me.

This goes on a little foody, but then turns somewhat fresh yet resiny. Difficult to describe, really - Anubis doesn't really remind me of anything I know and the notes themselves are hard to distinguish.

Verdict: kinda nice, will try again to see if I can understand it a bit better.

I hate myrhh. I don't know WHY I keep testing blends with my arch-enemies in them, but whatever.

Shockingly, Anubis is not gross gross overpowering myrrh. It's actually kind of pretty, if not for me.

By Steve's Fuzzy Ears, this is AMAZING.

It's worth slogging through a bunch of imps to find something like this. Starts resiny, and then develops the thick red plumminess of Frumious Bandersnatch that I love so. That plum does fade back, but as the source is myrrh, it still keeps that thick heady sweet resin.

FABULOUS!

In the bottle: Dark and mysterious, it smells to me like wafting smoke of a burned offering. Definately I can smell the myrrh, and perhaps a slight wood-ish note.

Wet: I smell some herbs, very lightly, and spicy. I also smell something slightly sweet, like a fruit. Citrus? Grapefruit maybe? The myrrh really stands out, but so does the musk.

Drying: The myrrh is still quite present, and the I can smell the herbs more refined. The fruity smell is still there, toning down the myrrh. It is like witnessing an egyptian burial through smells.

Dry down: It seems that it has blended well, for it is purely balanced. It's a light powdery scent that seems combined with incense and fruit. It lingers on, I have had it on for four hours now, it is still sticking, just not nearly as heavily. I like it quite a bit. Anyone who likes heavy smoky scents, I recommend it to you!

In the imp: Fruit and something shimmery and sparkly... not what I imagined from the name!

Wet: Sweet, fruity and a touch of something that I associate with incense (pretty sure it is the myrrh). And WOW - does it have throw. It is reminding me of another scent I really like, trying to remember what though.

Dry: This one has a lot of throw. Sweet and fruity with something almost otherworldly and shimmery. It smells divine.

A while later: Slightly fruity and almost shimmery. It smells like freshly spritzed Angel, without the alcohol, on me. LOVE! :evol:

In the bottle, vaguely bubblegummy.

Wet: myrrh. Quite sweet. Remains pure myrrh.

It's got a fairly decent longevity--four hours and still going strong. I just wish it was a little more complex, or that the myrrh didn't drown everything else.

Cocoa and pear. Seriously, that's what it smells like to me.

Then after a few minutes it just smells like super sweet sugary BERRIES for some reason. ???

In the vial this is an unusual combination of smells that form a slightly herbal, deep and floral-sweet scent. On my skin, it starts to smell of incense and sweet, green herbs - unusual but quite lovely. After a few hours the herbs fade and it becomes a soft and slightly sweet incense scent. It is, all in all, quite a nice scent.

In the imp, this is a really, really sweet scent; exactly where this is coming from, I'm not quite sure. On my skin, it's turning into a really sweet, spicy sort of scent, almost like honey. Hrm. This seems to be going well. It's really warm and sweet and spicy, this is going to warrant a fuller test, and possibly a death match against Mr. Jacquel, which is a similar scent to my nose (which makes sense, if you know American Gods).

On the full skin test, I'm still getting that sweet, warm spicy scent that deepens out the more its on my skin. Will depend on how exactly this turns out, but I'm betting this one will be a bottle, along with a death match against Mr. Jacquel. Compared to Mr. Jacquel, this is a lighter, higher-pitched scent, so I'll be passing on the a bottle for this.

Edited by Venneh

Myrrh?? I don't get any myrrh? I love myrrh! All I'm getting is a strong floral. I'm bummed! Flowers, flowers everywhere and no myrrh! Damn.

Sweet myrrh and something fruity. I had expected this to be more green with the herb note, but instead it is much nicer than I thought it would be.

fruity bubblegum under just a little spice

transforms into a candle shop

Sweet and reminds me of stores at Christmas, did I mention I'm not big on the smells of stores at Christmas?

much later sharp sour

much later rather nice, pity it took so long light sweet incense smell

There is a bit of incense in the background but more like potpourri than anything else, mostly it is very very sweet.

Definitely not something I like, at least not on my skin. Not what I would have expected from the name and description, sigh.

I was really drawn to the myrrh and balsam and the promise of herbs :) I just had to try an imp! Storax, apparently, is sweetgum, which I had to wikipedia. I have no idea what precisley the list of embalming herbs includes.

In the imp - yep, myrrh, balsam, and something distantly sweet.

On wet - Oh hello, sweetgum, I see you've made yourself at home. Yep, this one starts off very sweet, sweeter than I thought it would. I was hoping for something deep, resinous and herbal and instead it smells like incense and chewing gum :P It's not entirely unpleasant, though.

Drydown - hmm. I mean, it's very nice - the imp is definitely a keeper - but it's definitely not what I had in mind when I imagined it, I thought it would be more resinous and green somehow. As it stands, it's a very sweet herbal scent, tasty without being foody, like molasses plus incense.

In imp: Whoa, not pleasant. Clinical, herbal...? I couldn't quite place it, until a friend said "decay". Indeed it's a decaying smell.

On skin: Ugh, bad bad BAD! This is entirely sickly, cloyingly sweet and wetly decaying. Makes me sick to the stomach and want to retch. I tried Anubis a few times hoping it would change, but ended up washing it off pronto.

Verdict: Well, the jackal-headed god smells like death and decay alright, and he'll be swapped. This same putrefying odour (yes, odour :sick: ) was in Mictecacihuatl - it may be copal, storax or balsam, or any combination of those. (UPDATE: The culprit is actually honey.) I'll be steering clear of these notes from now on!

Edited by Vega

I am new to the scent describing thing and don't feel like I can add anything that hasn't already been said. I'm not even sure I can pick out which note is myrrh and which is the storax or balsam either, but on me this is very resiny/woody and sweet in a pleasant way. I am also joining the millions who said it smells "golden". I don't feel like it's death or decay related, at least it doesn't give me that impression at all. I do get the temple feeling from it, and sometimes also "crazy magical wood". Haha, that was my favourite description. :)

I think it's delicious, and seeing as I only have an imp, I will have to start collecting this very soon, because the reviewer who mentioned "anointing" herself with it was also dead on for me, and I would like to anoint in the way the Eqyptians did, frequently and with plenty of it!

(I love the smell so much I wrote 82 run-ons! WHEEEEEEE!)

Strong, sweet myrrh, lasts for hours, wich is rare for me. Incense gets stronger by the hour, it kind of reminds me of Kathmandu, one of my favorites for the past few months.

It's strangely warm and comforting, but in essence misterious and dark, like something dug up from the ancient tomb. For me, it has a quality of an old school perfume, but with a modern twist. I really like this one. :yum:

This was a frimp from a forumite, and I would never have put it on my list to try.

But I am loving it! (Note to self: Duh, you love myrrh!)

In the imp: Myrrh and floral.

On me: I thought this scent was supposed to be masculine or gender neutral... I can sense the gender neutrality, but it is so sweet! Resiny and floral and herbal... slightly soapy but that just gives it a freshness, not a yuckiness.

It is well blended and really pretty!

Sweet, almost gourmand but not. Incensey to where I can see the embalmeyness but not too much.

I think I need more time with this imp, but this may be bottle worthy!

I don't know what it is, but in the imp and wet on my skin, this smells like old soy sauce! :blink: Silly skin chemistry. As this drys down it becomes soft and smooth, but I can detect the tiniest hint of soy sauce every now and again. Other than that, this is a fairly nice scent, I'm just not sure I could wear this one.

For some weird reason this scent is in my blindspot. I can't really smell it in the imp. A swab on the back of my hand and I thought I could smell something for a second and it seemed like honeysuckle and then less than 20 seconds later and I can't smell anything except for maybe a very faint, far off whiff of something resinous. Weird.

I don't think this smells like what it's supposed to smell like. It's really sweet, with moments of strong bubble gum. Lotus, maybe? Unfortunately, not a keeper.

This starts off oddly citrussy and floral. Anubis is definitely frolicking in the spring flowers and when I say flowers I meant huge giant ones.

On drydown it just stays ...floral. It is a really lovely and sophisticated floral, like lotus drifting on the Nile, but just not what I expected from a blend called Anubis.

ETA this is a lab-fresh imp I think it needs some aging for the resins to show.

Edited by Monday

Wow, this is really sweet! It has an almost syrupy feel to me when wet. As it dries, it still retains its syrupy feel. It has to be coming from the styrax or embalming herbs; balsam and myrrh don't smell like this. I pick up more balsam as it continues into the drydown, but the syrup is still there. Unfortunately, this is not a keeper for me.

Maybe this is supposed to be a more masculine scent but I really like it anyhow.

Bottle: Sweet and.. fruity? Smells like warm resins, too.

Wet: Mainly myrrh. Also has this slightly greenish, herbal appeal and makes you think you can detect a bit of honey (but maybe there is?).

Dry: Myrrh and storax. Very sweet and soapy. I also detect some green florals.. like lily or lotus perhaps. Though lotus would be more befitting to the scent name. I get the masculine vibe but this appeals to me, especially since I plan on testing layering options.

Layering: Put Anubis over a layer of Boo! 2010. This is.. interesting. The sweetness is amped, and I would describe this scent as "Sweet cake offerings at the altar of Anubis" (although I am sure Egyptians never actually did this). Ack, OK, laying not so good. Smells like pee now. thud.gif

Edited by Honey

Anubis-

In Bottle: Resin, floral, wine, sweetness.

Wet: Honey-sweet, a little floral.

Dry: Very sweet; the resin is not medicinal at all.

Overall: A little too resinous for me to want it as a wearer.