Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Libra

Libra, from Celestials - Astrological Oils:

apple / white musk / rose

rose geranium / sandalwood

ylang ylang

First sniff: A fresh, clean scent, pale green in the bottle and in my nose. Slightly astringent. It strikes me as a bit stiff and formal, which isn't terribly Libra-ish - I expected something a bit more wishy-washy. :P

Wearing: First touch -- lily of the valley or possibly hyacinth. A sweet spring flower.

First sniff, I thought I had applied Delight by mistake. Very rosy and floral.

As it starts to dry I can just detect the apple, a slight freshness above the floral tones. The ylang ylang is noticeable now too.

Once dry this has all blended together to make a quiet, gentle floral smell. Not pretty, but calm and peaceful. I like this very much, It feels at one with me and I am so comfortable wearing it.

I thought this scent was going to be extremely light, so I saved it for warmer weather. I was surprised when this ended up being pretty powerful and longlasting. It was mostly, ylang ylang and rose on me with the sandalwood grounding it. I've only worn this once and it was the kind of day that I was like.....hmmm I think I like this........hmm I'm not sure if I like this all day long. I'll have to try it a few more times. I think I shoudn't have worn it the day after I tried Venus, as Venus blew me away. I am a Libra.

I am so unexpectedly pleased with Libra!

In the bottle, and wet, I smelled mostly white flowers and immediately feared that this would smell like a drugstore Lilly of the Valley perfume. :P

However . . . on, this fragrance really agrees with me. In fact, so far, my body chemistry has brought this oil to life more so than any other! I'm a Libra; go figure!

There's no denying that it's floral, but on my skin, the bright white floral scent dissappears almost immediately and is replaced by a warmer, calmer floral with a grounded feminine character. It's not heavy or overbearing, nor is it too light or wispy -- it has a definite presence, but not one that is distracting or overwhelming. It's not sexual or overly mature, but it's not girlish or innocent either. In short, as is befitting Libra, it achieves perfect balance.

It makes me feel comfortable in my own skin. I normally go for more "exotic" fragrances, but this one has a very pretty, fresh, everyday feel about it that is very appealing to me (especially on a day like today, when I started out feeling kind of off-kilter and misunderstood; something about this fragrance brought me back into myself and banished all that). This is a fragrance that I will wear for myself. Not to attract men, not to feel powerful, not to achieve any heightened or altered state of mind. Just to feel like me. :D

I'm not normally that partial to straight rose scents - I usually feel very take-it-or-leave-it about them - usually they smell too fussy and traditional to me. However, this is such a pretty, girly rose that I think I'll hold on to it to wear on those days when I want to remind myself to honor my very libran need for peace and beauty around me.

"You see Mary,' - and here Flora began to grow earnest and to wave one finger about - 'unless everything is tidy and pleasant and comfortable all about one, people cannot even begin to enjoy life." - Cold Comfort Farm

Note: about two hours later, this scent deepened into a spicy, richer rose on me - very unexpected. Girly rose grew up.

I am so utterly pleased by the fact that I was able t get my hands on a 5ml of this off the forums. I just missed being it from BPAL directly as I followed a link to the site the day of the discontinuation. :P

In the bottle: Very strong. When I got it in the mail and opened the envelope, everything smelled like it. Very strong, very floral. I was afraid it would send me into a sneezing fit, but I had wanted it and wanted it so I applied it.

Wet: It touched my skin and lit everything up with a very subtle warmth. In fact, to me the scent itself it warm. Sandalwood is very prevalent to me along with the apple and perhaps a kick of the ylang ylang.

Dry down: As it dries, more of the apple becomes apparent and begins to fight with the sandalwood for dominance of my left wrist. My right wrist smells of apple and rose.

After a few hours: This is the longest latest scent I've gotten so far. Meaning that I put it on at 7am this morning and only now just reapplied. Not because it needed another shot but because I wanted to do an accurate wet and dry down description. After time, my left wrist smells like sandalwood and my right is rose. It's very odd but very nice. I do like Libra and wish the scent hadn't been discontinued because now I can't have more of it. :D

Light dry floral, this was a lot of dusty rose and geranium (and wow dead on geranium) pale green, and faintly herbal in that strident way geranium has. The sandalwood crept in to sweeten this a bit but it's so very light on me that none of it really sticks around. Off to swaps with this one. Not bad, but not great with my chemistry either.

Note ~ I’m trying this oil on day 3 of my period, so it may not be the same as the last few times I tried it. My sun sign is Libra, and this is the third time I've tried it.

Bottle ~ This reminds me of a tea rose perfume I fell in love with in high school. I soon fell out of love, though, as it was incredibly strong and cloying. This initial sniff is, too.

Wet ~ The scent has calmed down greatly, but it's far too floral for me. The geranium may be coming in to calm it down, but I'm not sure. Pity I don’t like geranium.

Drying ~ Lighter than when wet, but it's still the same cloying floral. It's tickling my nose hairs in ways I don't like.

Dry ~ Huh. The scent is still at the drying strength, but it seems to be maturing. Maybe it's just that it's not crawling up my nose anymore. I still don't like it, but it's not as obnoxious as it was before.

Final Thoughts ~ It's my sun sign and it's discontinued, so I'm loathe to part with it. At the same time, I don't like it. Perhaps, mixed with something else, it might work as a ritual scent. Heh. Maybe I should mix it with Danse Macabre and see if it brings out the green notes for me.

Libra - I bought this because it's my bf's sign so I thought it would be a nice companion to mine (which is Leo)

In the bottle it smells a bit citrusy - maybe some floral mixed in.

Once on - very lemony! Now that I see what notes are in this I'm surpised since I don't see lemon or anything citrus listed. I usually don't like lemon in a perfume but this is nice - I'm not getting that lemon pledge scent that normally happens so this is probably my nose being weird. After about an hour the lemon fades and something sweet emerges - sandalwood and flowers. It's not rose to me and I have no idea what rose geranium smell like but it's very pretty. Definitely not a scent I would have bought based on the notes listed but it turned out very nice. I may try layering it with Leo.

this is sooo florally, white lilies and geranium, i don't get any citrus or sandalwood....must wash offfffffff btw i am an aries :P

at first: a very, very light scent. i think i can just smell a bit of rose, but that's all.

on: pretty. different. floral and a bit watery.

half an hour later: this has completely changed. it's way more earthy and dark.

1 hour later: a mix of freshly-cut roses and earthy notes.

1.5 hours later: a mix of soapy flowers.

overall: this is nice, but not something i'd wear often. i'm glad i grabbed an imp of it when i had the chance.

First impressions: yum! Like sticking my nose in a bouquet of fresh flowers plus something else familiar. Maybe like apple juice? *checks the note list* Yup, that's a hint of apple I'm smelling.

after 5 minutes: baby powder, strongly, but not completely overpowering the rest.

15 min: baby powder is less strong, but so is everything else. Very nice though.

30 min: faded further, but I can't stop sniffing my arm. :P

35 min: vowed, "This is the last time I commit an imp to a circular swap without sniffing it first." I love this! Baby powder has faded slightly more, richer floral scent, mostly rose I think.

Gosh this is pretty. I'm going to have to check out the local Occult store's Libra just to see if it might be similar. Falling in love with discontinued scents is a very very silly thing to do.

Final word: Yum. This would be a keeper. Except I already said I wouldn't. Doh. (I'm a Leo, maybe Libra is balancing to me?)

In bottle: Ylang ylang, rose and apple. This is a very spring-time, sweet and creamy fragrance. The apple brightens the florals and makes this very energetic.

On me: The sandalwood grounds the florals and keeps them from growing overwhelming, while the apple sparkles. I really like this - it seems quite different from the other astrological oils. Much, much more fun!

Libra:

Originated from: Celestials Circular Swap

Wet: Oh yes, I can smell the apple and the white musk. It almost reminds me of the apple smell that I get out of Prague and Phantom Queen. Crisp, biting, delicious.

Drydown: Oh, this is a gorgeous scent. It's mellowed down by the musk and hints of everything else the lab lists. :P I don't normally like rose scents, but this is gorgeous.

Longterm wear: Libra is a beautiful scent that I'd love to wear often. It's very sad that it's been discontinued. :D

Courtesy of the Celestials circular swap!

In the imp: Clean, green florals. It's slightly soapy.

Wet: White musk and geranium are what I smell first. This is definitely florally.

Drydown: The rose never really comes out on me, but after a little while, I can smell the ylang ylang and apple. It's crisp and crunchy.

Final thoughts: Not for me, but very nice!

I wrote down a review of this while I was sniffing it and then promptly forgot to type it up here!

In the vial: hmm...what is this? Lemony fresh rose? It's the kind that shoots straight up into your sinuses, an almost piercing, shrill yellow and pink floral. A little overpowering, like Havisham, but less cold.

This dried down uber-pwdery, according to my notes, but I can't remember now. I do remember that I liked it enough that I wouldn't mind having some around to sniff when I need a little balance in my life but I didn't anticipate that I'd wear it. Now that I look at the other reviews and see the actual ingredients, my impressions make sense -- the rose is definitely the piercing, biting kind that I'm not as fond of, and I think the apple must have contributed to the powderiness on me.

I think rose geranium will probably go on my "headache" list of fragrances though!

Forgive my short-ish review, I had to write up a bunch of reviews quickly as part of the Celestial swap circle...

My initial impression was WOW! Sweet but not cloying light floral with a hint of mint and light fruit. It's what I'd expect Pisces to have smelled like. But at the end, the mint comes out very strongly and the rest of the notes are kind of overwhelmed, and it's not as nice as it is while wet.

Bottle (Imp): Smooth, and airy.

Just On: Fresh and airy, with a bit of flowers.

An hour or two later: The scent of flowers floating on a light breeze.

Around 6 hours: Faint flower scent on a really light breeze.

12 hours: It went bye-bye.

Overall: I like it, and I think it fits. I dunno if The Mate would wear it (being a Libra, I think he's give it a fair shot though).

After reading other reviews: I didn't get apple, and this certainly is a musk that works on me. All in all, I like it.

Origin - a gift imp from the amazing Allamanda

Preconceived notions - I saw a post where Beth said something about people liking blends based on their moon signs as opposed to their sun signs. Well I have already tried Scorpio, my sun sign, but when I saw the notes in Libra, my moon sign, I had to try it as well. It's true that as much as I love the bold, spicy Scorpionic scents, I also love apple, rose, sandalwood, in short the notes in this blend.

Wet - the only note I can pick out when wet is rose, but it's a lovely rose.

Dry - As it dries the ylang ylang comes out to play. So far I am only getting the rose & ylang ylang, with a little bit of grounding sandalwood in the background. I would love to get some apple out of this, but no go so far. I see similiarities to both The Empress and Silentium Amoris, but both of them went powdery on me, and so does this. Just as I am about to give up on this, the powdery note goes away, and I get a lovely musk scent with the tiniest trace of apple! Eventually (2+ hours in) this becomes a lovely rose, apple and musk that lasts a long time. Oils rarely last this long on me, so what scent it left is very faint.

I would love this more if it didn't have a powdery stage on me, and if the apple came out stronger (and sooner) on me, but it is quite nice. But not nice enough that I am heartbroken that I can't get a bottle of it.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3.

Libra: September 23 - October 22

From the Celestial Swap.

It was weird at first, I couldn't place it at all. A bunch of strong flowers hitting me at once. But as it faded it went into exclusively strong rose scent, which doesn't usually work well with me, this one was no exception.

Courtesy of the Celestials circular swap!

I don't get rose or rose geranium- what I *do* get is a lovely fresh, white floral that straddles the line between sweet and soapy without being either.

The sandalwood and apple held keep it bright and juicy, yet grounded.

This fragrance expresses balance extremely well!

This is a beautiful perfume indeed!

I can smell rose and rose geranium (one of my favourite notes) with something more, a perfect bottom line of white musk, sandalwood and a bit of ylang-ylang.

Very feminine and with throw.

I'd love to have a bottle of this one!

I was expecting this one to be much sweeter.

It smells very clean in the bottle. There is a hint of apple in the background, but just barely. The combo of the sandalwood, musk and geranium give it a very clean floral.

My skin latched on to the cleaner notes and amped them up a LOT...not really for me. It had good staying power, though.

112746823.jpg

In the bottle

Mmm, I do believe this might be the best rose scent ever.

On

Okay maybe not. Roses, light and watery, light blue color in the minds eye. Pretty like two, five and seven or kurukulla. But with more of a bitter bright fruitiness almost like wine or cider.

The rose geranium is strong in this blend. I do smell the slight twang of ylang ylang and the crispness of the apple but the apple doesn't stay long unfortunately. I don't smell the sandalwood at all, pity as this would definitely add what I think is missing. My skin must zap all the sandalwood in this blend. I don't smell any musk either.

30 minutes

It's turned a bit bitter, and soapy. The apple is really saving this blend.

Throw:

more than average, yes.

Scent category:

Floral/Fruity/Animalistic/Incensey (I only smell Floral and Fruit)

Summary

My mother is a Libra. Need I say more.

At first it's roses and champagne.

Then it's soapy and headache inducing. The only saving grace is the tiny glimmer of bright crisp apple.

The sandalwood and musk up and left apparantly, maybe because of the nagging.

Purchase again?

No.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

Libra really hates me. First on it is very sharp and astringent. The ylang ylang is coming out in that perfumey metallic scent that it usually turns on my skin and I keep thinking of cheap dollar store hairspray :P. A bit of a watery/fruity apple comes out after a few minutes and this blend gets more bearable for me. I wish that the apple were stronger, and I normally don't even like fruity scents.

Over the next hour this turns into a screaming soapy floral fragrance on me. It's intensely perfumey and giving me a headache. Never did smell any sandalwood.

I'll be scrubbing my wrists of this one and adding it to my swap pile.