Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nymph87

Perfumey scents

I dont think theres a thread for this yet!

What are your favourite perfumey blends? When I say perfumey, I dont mean fragrances that necessarily smell like mainstream scents, but more those blends that have that perfume like quality to them.

I am digging Ava at the moment and Media looks like it might be another I need to try. Any other recs?

Honeyed Apple is the most gorgeous perfumy honey I have ever smelled. The vanilla in Antique Lace is beautiful too, until the drydown when it turns to complete musk on me.

Ah, Wendy took the words right out of my mouth! As a lover of "perfumey" scents, I concur Closet Raid is very! And should still be easy enough to track down.

Harder to find, 2014 Lilith Venustas.

I also find GC Debauchery (Egyptian musk, civet and opium) a "hard core" perfume that reminds me of classic scents with those notes. I love this one! Mega sexy and feminine.

Seconding Venustas and Coin Trick. I find that amber-rich scents have an old-fashioned, perfumey feel to me -- like Brisingamen (GC) or Jacob's Ladder (Yule). And searching my scent notes for "perfumey" I also came up with Cordelia (which I haven't tried for ages) and, to my surprise, two rose + fur scents: The Bear Prince (Yule) and Lady Cecily Sasquets, from a sasquatch themed Emerald City Comic Con release.

Also, on my skin, dirt and dead leaves notes often morph into "perfume." Not sure if that's a skin chemistry thing or what.

if you're into Ava, I found De Vos Unicorn and Zorya Polunochnaya to be in the same vein. I seem to remember Eternal from the GC having a strong perfume vibe as well.

Edited by aniemel

I love "perfumey" scents a lot. Here's my list:

Ava, Media, Liz, Lady Death: Savage, Mabel, Inez, A Dusty Moth, Cemetery Creep, Closet Raid. I am sure I am missing a few....

In general, the more listed notes something has, the more "perfumey" it smells, to me. Something about not being able to pick specific notes out of the jumble, I think, which I never can with commercial perfumes even if I'm looking right at the list of notes. Base notes of white/"pale"/"crystalline" musk, white or grey amber, white sandalwood, and white patchouli also often give me a "perfumey" effect, especially in combination, and so do "orchid" and "aldehydes."

From the GC:

- Shoggoth (citrusy floral over white musk) and R'lyeh (citrusy aquatic over white musk) had very perfumey drydowns for me.

- Hades and Hunger immediately made me think "Wow this sure is a Perfume!" even wet; the note they share is "black narcissus," whatever that is.

- Oberon was "old-fashioned traditional perfume but with juniper on top." (It has orchid + white musk.)

- The Caterpillar, on me, was almost an exact dupe for Yves Saint Laurent Opium - very "Floriental."

For LEs, you've already mentioned Ava and others have named Coin Trick (metallic aldehydes reminiscent of Chanel) and Zorya Polunochnaya (which is simply fantastic dry.) I would add Privilege (which is cool and green, not sweet despite all the flowers, and somehow makes me think of Calvin Klein), Dolce Stil Nuovo (complex rosy white musk), Swift as Light... (vanilla + white musk), and Butterflies, Flowers and Jewels Attending, which I got a decant of recently and was annoyed to discover really is as good as everyone says. Of all of these, BF&JA is the most distinctly "Fancy Perfume, For Her" besides Ava.

Then there are a few older Lupers/Shungas (Snowy Mountains and Kingfisher, Sumai no Sechie, Street Festival, The Sorrow of Love) that also make me think "traditional perfume." These might be hard to find now though.

I second Lady Death: Savage & Ava and would like to add Mother Ghost (a cold, sheer white musk gleaming with black orchid, benzoin, labdanum, and blackened amber embraced by white rose, tea leaf, and vanilla flower), Love Lay Upon Her Eyes (White amber & Bulgarian rose) & This World, Where Death Reigns (Myrrh and black roses). Unveiled (Red bush tea, vanilla, white peach, golden amber, mandarin, lotus root, and myrrh) reminds of the oriental type perfumes that my Mum used to wear.

Beautiful Death is also lovely (sandalwood, vanilla, green cognac, white tobacco, chamomile, black tea & belladonna). It's like a poisonous berry perfume in the Lace family.

Edited by alterosen

Egle and cave of treasures are two of my top favorites in this category. Hearts for ghost friends is a recent addition to this category. I have been tempted by closet raid a few times but the lilac vegetal gives me pause.

ETA Privilege which i am testing atm and find to be very similar to egle in my opinion

Edited by DiZZysTARdust

Any new "perfumey" (whatever that means) recs? I am deeply in love with Ava (although it is a very assertive scent, so I don't wear it as often as I might otherwise), and I also love Zorya P, Beautiful Death, and Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending so curious to hear if there are any new discoveries out there?

1 hour ago, Lill said:

Any new "perfumey" (whatever that means) recs? I am deeply in love with Ava (although it is a very assertive scent, so I don't wear it as often as I might otherwise), and I also love Zorya P, Beautiful Death, and Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending so curious to hear if there are any new discoveries out there?

You might love Silver Lace! I found it a bit perfumey and bright, and the drydown is such a beautiful vanilla. Also, Colemanite Phoenix from the most recent anniversaries is really beautiful desert scent that has a high-class vibe. 

13 hours ago, artisjok said:

You might love Silver Lace! I found it a bit perfumey and bright, and the drydown is such a beautiful vanilla. Also, Colemanite Phoenix from the most recent anniversaries is really beautiful desert scent that has a high-class vibe. 

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I'll keep these in mind-- they both look good to me.

On 2/21/2020 at 10:49 PM, Lill said:

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I'll keep these in mind-- they both look good to me.

Have you tried Media from American Gods? I LOVE Ava too and probably reach for Media more often. 
Fake News too, but it is a little more unisex if you're into that at all. 

4 hours ago, Jenjin said:

Have you tried Media from American Gods? I LOVE Ava too and probably reach for Media more often. 
Fake News too, but it is a little more unisex if you're into that at all. 

Haven't tried either one of those; thanks for the recs! I am especially interested in Media now since it sounds like we have a similar relationship with Ava.