Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A shock in a jock: the perfect drag king cologne.

Black leather and a snap of ozone.

I tested this one twice at Drag Con. This one is strong on the black leather at first, backed by the ozone. After it has settled for a while, it becomes an ozone-y, leather-y cologne. I enjoyed that phase of the scent the most, when the leather wasn't as intense.

I did not end up grabbing a bottle of this one, because I tend to prefer my leather with something sweet (like vanilla or tonka), but I think fans of the Lab's leather scents will not be disappointed. :)

Early on, before we even had the scent notes, the DragCon blends I was most excited about were Groom of Frankenstein and Drag On A Slime. Something about my childhood fascination with these particular monsters primed me to adore the resulting perfumes, even if they turned out to be something I wouldn't usually wear.

That turned out to be the case with both of them. The leather/ozone combination is a bit searing in the bottle, it really runs hot across the nose, as if the lightning just struck seconds ago.

On the skin this instantly cools down into a cool, leather-encased blend that borders on subterranean or even aquatic -- to me, anyway. Perhaps I'm being influenced by the green of the label artwork... or perhaps Beth was! In any case the drydown is velvety smooth and inviting.

Hoping an actual drag king will incorporate it into their stage presence and let us know how it worked out!

i tested this at drag con because it smelled of leather in the bottle, and i love a leather scent. however, i do not love ozone, but i was pleasantly surprised by this-i liked it better than i thought i would. at first it's pure black leather with nary another note. after walking around the con awhile, and re-sniffing, i do smell the ozone, but it's not as overwhelming as some ozones i've experienced. the ozone seemed like it almost had a bit of a citrussy sweetness to it, which i liked. it's balanced well, and while i did like the scent, it's not something i would wear often, so i passed on purchasing, but if you're a leather lover, you may like this.

Cool black leather with ozone. The ozone actually stops this from being a super scary screechy black leather (I'm looking at you, DeSade, specifically). It's much more wearable and approachable. Almost skin soft. Low throw, good wear length.

Source: Decant Circle

Preconception: Ozone is not a note I wear. I fully expect this will get swapped off.

Vial : SHEW LEATHER. Black black black leather. Zap.

Skin: Calms down and smooths out. It's actually surprisingly lovely. I know a few people this scent actually reminds me of. It's entirely wearable, although super distinct. Still leather and ozone, 100%. But it comes across as a smoother, strong, robust cologne.

Drydown: Mellows more as time goes on. It morphs into something aquatic, almost. Smooth ocean breeze at moments. But generally the same scent all through. It's simple enough that you could easily layer this. Perhaps even with some of the RPG scents if you want to add some creativity to your RPG characters.

Verdict: Smooth, sophisticated, edgy, well-kept, kinky. Very masculine but surprisingly un-assaulting, considering. On me it had great throw and staying power.

I love bpal's leather scents. They don't always work on my skin, but that's okay with me because I love how fabulous they are on my boyfriend's skin chemistry. Groom of Frankenstein is one of the sexiest leather blends I've smelled from bpal.

Groom of Frankenstein is a morpher. It starts off as heavy ozone and black leather (wet on the skin and in the bottle). The first half hour it is primarily black, smooth, slick leather.

Then the magic happens about two hours in.

It becomes a super sexy unisex scent. Strangely, I get a vanilla musk/perfumey undertone like I do with Ava. All the ozone has dissipated and I am left with a sexy black leather with a vanilla musk background. I absolutely love this. If it doesn't work with your skin chemistry, try it on your partner ;) It borders on high-end commercial perfume without the alcohol background/migraine-triggering artificial notes that I get from most department store perfumes. It is stunning and I am so happy to have a bottle in my collection.

Strong throw, long wear length. Backup bottle worthy.

Wet: Definitely leather and ozone, but the ozone is much stronger than the leather.

Dry: Still much more ozone than leather; the ozone is coming off more sweeter than the wet stage.

As someone who's not fond of leather scents, this is probably the nicest leather blend I've ever tested. I think if you're a fan of leather, this is worth trying out. (That being said, I still don't really like leather, and this really isn't a scent for me.)

Edited by donkehpoo

In the bottle this is all sharp leather. On my skin I get a flash of sweetish-green like aftershave-y ozone. I agree with other reviews, normally black leather goes chemically and screechy on my skin, but the ozone makes this quite pleasant. Not normally my kind of scent, but really sexy! Glad I got a chance to try it!

Disclaimer: I've always been a bit wary of ozone, since, in some combinations, my skin forces scents containing it into Dryer Sheet Syndrome. However, I'm also a sucker for BPAL's black leather and have drag-kinged before, so I risked a blind buy from Etsy in the hopes that I'd be able to swap it away if it turned out it wasn't for me.

Well, long story short, I'm no longer worried about trying to find a new home for it, because this baby stays right here in my paws. The leather is delicious, and the ozone gives the scent a coolness that makes this the perfect leather blend for summer for me (if I wear other leather blends such as Kroenen or Adam, they tend to make me feel too hot in 93 degree F/33 degree C weather, but this one doesn't!). The throw is good, but not OMG LET ME OVERPOWER THE ENTIRE ROOM from what I can tell, and wear length is well within the 12-hour range (it stays even longer on clothes).

tl;dr: Much love for Groom of Frankenstein from me <3

The ozone is extremely aquatic, actually way overpowering the leather, which I didn't expect at all. I was hoping for more leather with ozone than ozone with leather. The ozone is bright and sweet, and it's definitely a clean scent I can see being great for summer.

Groom of Frankenstein wet is black leather and a sharp, almost citrusy ozone note, in about equal proportions.  Both of them settled into a clean leather with a cool edge,  really nice if you like unisex veering towards masculine.  Ozone is not usually in my note pantheon, but it's not going detergenty at all here.  I got good throw from this, which I rarely get with my skin chemistry, though wear length was only about four hours on me.  I envy you 12-hour people!!!

Tried this for the first time today!  I love this...it's kind of a cool leather cologne.  The Lab's "ozone" note always kind of read as marine on me but this time around it really does smell like...cool air conditioning air.  Definitely a "new black leather shoes" leather, not a "leather jacket leather" or "old timey club chair" leather.  I wouldn't call this "masculine" per se but it sure is butch and I LOVE it!