Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Polexia

Silentium Amoris

Unspoken love. Inspired by Oscar Wilde's poem. A scent brimming with pathos and memories of longing and loss. Rose touched with ylang ylang.

As I mentioned in VelvetSky's Flower Power thread, I inexplicably like ylang ylang, even though it tends to be sweet and powdery on me, two scent characteristics that I normally avoid. To my delight, Silentium Amoris is mostly ylang ylang with a touch of rose. It is a very pretty, feminine scent that isn't overtly sexual, which is a rarity in my imp box :P and makes it appropriate for weddings and family functions. I will treasure this imp and mourn the day that I use it up.

In the imp, this strikes me as a sweet floral. Definitely lots of ylang ylang, but not too overpowering. I have high hopes for it.

On my wrist, it turns straight to rose. A rather powdery rose at that. And it just sits there, not morphing any further, content in its rose-iness.

As it warms, it begins to turn soapy. The ylang ylang tries to re-surface but it's not strong enough to overcome the soap smell. This is obviously not a blend meant for my chemistry. It’s very pretty and I’m sure would smell divine on someone else. It’s just not for me.

this was a lovely rose scent. it's not as in your face as some others (moon rose, venus, etc). and there's this softness under it that kind of gets caught in the back of your throat, like mausoleum dust. also, it had a feeling of age about it, like an older lady who smells like roses but is starting to smell like her dusty house, too.

Painfully sweet and utterly gorgeous. This is the only BPAL ylang-ylang scent to date that has not turned to maple syrup on me (hmm, maybe the maple syrup culprit is myrrh after all...)

The powdery-rose that some have mentioned does emerge after a while, but if anything it just adds to the sweetness.

Today's smellie is Silentium Amoris. It's going out tomorrow for a swap. I swapped it without testing it first. I usually don't do that.

In the vial~soap. I don't smell rose. It might be there but very light. I wonder how old this imp is, since Silentium Amoris is discontinued.

Wet~Rose does not agree with my body chemistry at all. It always goes cleaner or soap. I smell like soapy disinfectant.

Dry~Definitely floral and my skin does not like it one bit. That makes me sad. Rose Red smelled horrible on me and it's a wonderful blend.

I guess I made a good decision to swap this one.

Origin - Imp received in a swap

Wet - this is very pretty and light.

Dry - as it dries it becomes dusty, in the same way that Rose Red became dusty. The ylang-ylang is just barely there; it just adds a touch of sweetness to the mix. Since I like my rose grounded by something heavier, this isn't for me, but if you're a rose lover, it's very nice.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2.

silentium amoris

at first: oh, wow. this is beautiful. definitely rose and ylang ylang.

on: so beautiful. i adore beth's rose. the ylang ylang gives the oil an interesting touch, but it's mostly rose on me.

1 hour later: soapy, which isn't good.

2 hours later: just soap.

overall: sigh...i hate it when good blends end up soapy on me. oh, well...hopefully, someone else will enjoy this.

Bottle (Imp): Smooth and sultry.

Just On: Still smooth and sultry, but it smells like flowers.

An hour or two later: Hmmm, I am not getting the flowers I was, it's very smooth.

Around 6 hours: Just a smooth scent, but not like anything I can identify right now.

12 hours: It's just barely there, a tiny whiff of that sultry thing.

Overall: I like it, but it's not something I'm gaga over.

After reading other reviews: Gosh, the roses certainly didn't dominate this for me. That's good, as I usually manage to make soap out of them.

I'm wondering if someone at the lab is secretly reading my reviews and sees how much I love ALL of Beth's rose blends! :P I am so glad I received this as a gift in my last order, which I would never expect seeing it was discontinued.

I'm so sad this was discontinued before I got a chance to try it, because now I'm in love! I add this to the long and growing list of Beth's roses that I've fallen hard for. Wet this is lush, full red roses, very sweet and heady. As it dries down, the roses also take on a drier, less lush scent, but still gorgeous. The ylang ylang does balance well with the roses without overbearing or turning soapy. This is so beautiful, it just filled me with emotion when I smelled it from the imp. It does definitely give me the sense of yearning, unrequited love, or love lost. Just amazing!

Wet on me this was rose, rose and more rose, it's a very sweet, lush, heavy rose, that's a bit too much for me. Dry on me it's much the same except it's beginning to give me a headache. Oh well I guess there are others out there who'll love it.

In the bottle:

This is rose all right, but it's very GREEN rose.

On me:

Rose is just doing it's thing on me and dominating, but this isn't the kind of rose that goes soapy/powdery on me. Instead, I find it rather similar to the rose in Whip, in that it's crisp and fresh smelling. It's very aromatic, the scent just wafts around me and the rose smells wet and freshly cut.

Final note:

I feel so lucky that the lab included this as a frimp in my order, because I always like trying the scents that I otherwise wouldn't have a chance to. As far as rose scents go, this is pretty nice. I say this as someone who isn't really a fan of rose, but it's certainly in the top 2 BPAL rose scents for me (the other one being Whip).

Sweet florals in the imp. On skin, rose rose rose rose, as usual. Nice enough, but not me.

This is really different from any other rose blend I've smelled. It's so light and fluffy and airy, it very enchanting. The ylang ylang is just a breath of undershadow, tucked neatly beneath the pinkest, cleanest, smoothest rose note. It goes a touch powdery, but not overpoweringly so. A very "light pink" smell for me. This is something I would like to wear to sleep, it has that clean, soothing factor. All in all, a really beautiful rose blend, even for people that think they don't like rose. I'm glad I was able to try some.

This one was not at all what I was expecting. So many people described this as a sweet rose, but it's insanely bitter and sharp on me. I can also pick out the ylang ylang, as it often goes metallic and funky on my skin. This is very strong bitter rose with an undercurrent of metallic ylang ylang. It's actually making me feel ill :D

In the drydown the rose starts to go powdery. So it's baby powder, rose, and that metallic twang. I had to wash this off after about 20 minutes. Silentium Amoris just disagreed so violently with my skin chemistry. :P

I would never have guessed rose and ylang ylang. On me, this scent is a very green, floral bouquet. Like a bouquet of meadow flowers just cut in the spring green, not sweet. I don't get rose at all.

In the vial it smells sweet and light, floral and honeyed just a little. Really nice, I wish it had stayed that way on me.

I think I have a thing for the discontinued scents. Heh.

I loved this. Definitely roseroserose, though the ylang ylang emerged about 15 min after I first applied it. It brought up a formerly bittersweet memory of having a guy I liked in college absent mindedly plucking a rose off the bush in is yard and handing it to me while we argued about politics. That memory used to cause me much angst - now it just makes me smile ruefully.

I love this and may have to post to see if anyone has some they can spare. Really a lovely scent.

Preconceived notions: Admittedly, I'm not much of a rose fan. Love the real thing, but it's not a note that works on me 90% of the time. But in the name of science, I'm trying this and hoping it's part of the other 10%.

In the bottle: It's not striking me as uber-rose just yet - I can smell it, but there's a white florally feel to it. Must be the ylang ylang.

On: Again, it is rosey - but not the screaming-pink fake rose effect I get from most rose blends. It smells softer, chillier, more mature. This is a bouquet of white roses to my nose.

I'm still not a rose girl by any stretch of the imagination, but this is definitely one of the better rose blends I've tried.

In the imp - very rose scented, proper roses like in the garden. I liked this a lot in the imp

Wet - again, a true fresh rose scent, very lovely, but unfortunately for me as the dry down started, it became more and more ylang ylang-y

Dry - almost all I could smell was ylang ylang which is NOT a scent I like and I had to wash it off. This is not one for me, but if I could find a scent like the wet rose scent I would be happy!

B

Silentium Amoris

In the imp: rose and ylang-ylang, simple as that.

Wet on skin: still rose and ylang ylang, a nice balance of the two notes.

Dry on skin: ooh, this is lovely. Full bodied, slightly tart and greenish, velvety petalled rose with the heady floral sweetness of ylang. It's a lovely combination, an uncomplicated scent-only comprising two notes, but very effective and pleasant.

After a while: it stays pretty much the same all along, rose and ylang-though the rose is stronger at times.

Verdict: this is another one of those simple rose scents, when rose is combined with just one other note. In here, it works really nicely with the ylang, it's a lovely feminine scent, uncomplicated and not fussy. It's a lovely smell, but not my favourite rose scent-I have many rose scents I prefer to this. I may want to track down an imp of it one day but I won't be pining for this scent.

To me, this smells like tight, pink, tea rose buds and held-back tears. The ylang ylang is sharp and sweet, but with I think an alkaline tinge. Pining, sad, young love. Way too... simpering and girly for yours truly.

I got to try this at a Sniff & Meet - thanks, Astburygrrl! It was funny - two days after the Sniff & Meet, I got a lab order - and they'd included an imp of Silentium Amoris, despite it being discontinued over a year ago! Huh. Anyway, this review is of the aged imp. When I first put it on, I had no clue what was in it, except for roses. I learned. Oh, how I learned.

In the bottle, this is strongly roses.

Wet, it's still rose, but a sweet one - almost like how I wanted 2, 5, & 7 to be.

Dry, my arch nemesis ylang ylang comes out to raze my home and steal my cats. It creeps insidiously into my sinuses and screams 'Death to all who come!' It then sets up camp, in order to better follow through with its cruel promise. Any who try to resist are beaten down with no mercy or quarter given.

In other words, it gives me a headache and makes me sneeze. I hate ylang ylang.

Overall, I'm going to pass this lab imp off onto someone who was sad it was discontinued.

In Bottle: Rose

On Skin: While in the bottle the rose seems strongest, on my skin the ylang ylang amps up right away. The rose is super tart and the ylang ylang fades into a lighter, sweeter base note. I think it’s either a white or yellow rose and very fresh. It gives off a green/white note. For fans of rose and rose blends, this is a perfect scent. It is discontinued though I just found out. The throw is quite strong, you will have people thinking there is a rose bouquet in the room somewhere. I see this as a more formal and elegant scent since it stands so straight up and makes itself known. Not a soft rose at all. I don’t like rose scents personlly since they go all “old-lady” on me, so I think I may to pass this one on.

Oh. My. God.

If Rose Red is my perfect, lush, velvety, crimson black rose, and Eve is the womanly rose at summer's full bloom, then Silentium Amoris is the shy rose just blooming in the hidden corners of the world. It's like a violet peeping out from underneath a leaf, a sweet - but not high - scent that requires up close and personal attention.

Why oh why didn't I discover BPAL before it was discontinued?! :P

Maybe if I :D...

Oro

I'm glad to try this discontinued scent, but I still don't like ylang ylang. Dank vegetation, again, after starting out a little like bathroom soap. Oh well, since most florals like me, I should be nice about the ones that don't.