Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Polexia

Silentium Amoris

Unspoken love. Inspired by Oscar Wilde's poem. A scent brimming with pathos and memories of longing and loss. Rose touched with ylang ylang.

NB: I don't know what year this imp is from. It is a Lab-labelled imp, though.

Wet: ROSE. Very rose. But a pink sort of rose, with fresh cut stems.

First on: Hmm. It's a nice rose, very fresh and light, but at the same time something is very green.

Dry: It's gone a bit sour on me. :D

ETA: Forget sour. It gave me a headache for hours. :P

Edited by Melissa Della

If I put this on my feet, I could say that my feet smell like roses! This is not a heavy, cloying rose, but the sweet scent of those climbing roses with simple petals. I am finding that I enjoy the scent of roses! I used to not like roses, because they were so overdone as a flower - but having only my nose to rely on, I find I'm very fond of them.

On the drydown - all of a sudden, the perfume is going from sweet, lively roses to rose soap. Augh! It does smell like my grandma's bathroom now. No, this is so not right! It's not okay with me for fresh wild roses to turn into granny's soap dish.

I think this will have to be a room scent, and not one for wearing since on my skin it makes me mad.

Aaaannndd... The rose is coming back for a second show, but powdery this time. Softer and sweeter. Like petals in a pillow, muffled somehow. Now Faerygirl is telling me she likes it on me. Did I judge it too hastily, too harshly? This second rose is somehow nostalgic of the first, and kindof sad and forgiving.

Hmmm... This scent is living up to its name and inspiration - full sweet love, the bitterness when it all turns to soap, and then the softer memory of what came before. Dang it, another awesome scent adventure! Even if I don't like it as a personal perfume, I love these trippy scent stories Beth's babies keep bringing me.

(Faerygirl, age 8, review)

This is what it is like: :D :D It smelled like a rose garden on me and then it smelled like the really gross soap. It still smells like it, even though I tried to wash it off! :P

Edited by JennyGardener

This brings to mind a flurry of images: Soft, powdery roses. Frozen rose petals. Lush but ethereal blooms. I get mostly rose, but there's a kick in there that might be some of the ylang ylang.

Gorgeous, feminine, ethereal.

The rose doesn't dominate this at all for me. Wet or dry.

It's perfectly blended rose and ylang ylang.

Pretty, simple, but without something else to make this more interesting for me it's not a keeper.

Oooh, very bright! The rose in this is pretty, not overwhelming. (Are we getting the sense that I get overwhelmed by rose easily?) It's a nice combination.

In the imp: Sweet roses. Mmm, I hope this one works on me.

Wet: Roses bolstered by ylang ylang. This is shockingly sweet. Wow.

Drydown: Silentium Amoris begins to get a little sharp, which is a problem I often have with rose blends. It begins to powder out a bit as well, which makes for an interesting combination.

Dry: It's both prickly green and powdery. The ylang ylang really shines through, but my skin amps it like whoa. It's unusual and pretty, but I don't think I'll have to track this one down.

This is the same rose that's in Persephone, which I've finally admitted doesn't work for me.

This...doesn't really work for me either. The smell reminds me of when I've made rose water in the past by boiling down rose petals. You'd think it'd smell nice, but it kind of smells like the roses are decomposing. I'll have to pass this one on.

I knew without question I would love this because it has rose and ylang ylang. Two of my favorite notes that I adore in any form. Together?....it's just perfect on me. Simple, beautiful, and classic. The rose is lush and heavy, and pairs so well with the warmth of the ylang ylang. It's very sensual but in an elevated, disembodied sort of way. I don't think of it was sultry or seductive in a tactile sense.

I really love this. It's just a perfect, classic fragrance that I can pick up without over thinking it.

Oh man, this would make one hell of a soap. Rose and ylang ylang? This is in your face, but it isn't overly aggressive, simply feminine and full. When I uncorked the imp, I was a little worried, since it smelled like nail polish when I opened it, but upon skin both the rose and ylang ylang bloomed. The rose appears to have more of a staying power than the ylang ylang.

Definitely would make a great soap.

A lovely bpal frimped me this blend-I had never even heard of it! It was d/c-ed before I ever got into bpal :o I love finding new hidden bpal I never thought I would get to try!

In the imp, this is rich, thick rose and ylang ylang. The lab's rose is hit or miss on me-I love the way it smells wet, but it tends to go a bit sour/off on my skin.

Oh yeah, super strong rose on my skin. I mean REALLY strong. I mean, this blend is pretty much as described-rose and ylang ylang. Pink rose. I don't know why I imagine this as pink roses, but I just do.

Overall, this was a really nice rose blend. As it dried it calmed down on the OMGROSENESS and didn't go super powdery or sour or anything. And it wafts a gentle rose scent that is really pleasant. I'm not sure I'd need to track down a bottle because there are so many lovely bpal rose scents, but I am very glad I got to test this one.

In the imp, on drydown and for the first hour, it's rose, Rose, ROSE! Not the icky soapy rose, more like freshly opened pink roses. Then the ylang-ylang appears and the scent becomes a little sweeter, but not cloying. Very nice mix of the two! :wub2:

Posting from my old (summer '06) BPAL review journal; I will update as I retest

(circa July '06 - don't know if imp was lab fresh or ebay lot, so imp age/freshness is unknown)

In the imp, I'm smelling rose and maybe lilac? must be the ylang ylang. Wet, it smells like rose with lemon peel, and a bit soapy. Rose is always a good note Note of Amazing Love on my skin, and never (never say never?) turns soapy. Hmm.

Dry, it changed, and not for the better. At first it was very rosy with...something. Not a *bad* something, but an odd something. After about three hours, it smelled like dried, old, dusty roses. Not the nice sort that have been hung upside down in a dry place in order to preserve them; no, this smelled like roses that were left to desiccate in the dregs of their nasty florists water. Dry, dusty, and a bit rotten. DH says I smell "sour". I suppose that could be considered the "pathos" listed in the description, but apparently my skin doesn't like smelling of pathos. I think ylang ylang might be a Note of Doom for me.