Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sarah

Kyoto

A gentle, soothing blend of cherry blossom, white sandalwood and star anise.

Though it's nail polish remover at first, Kyoto blossoms into a pretty black licorice scent on my skin. After a few minutes, there's a note of sandalwood that balances well with it. Usually sandalwood takes over all other notes in any blend I wear, but these two notes work with each other and Kyoto ends up being very pretty.

I never do notice any cherry blossom, though. I think my skin eats cherry blossoms. Tasty.

eta: Wow, this one fades fast. Less than half an hour later, there's barely any trace left of it. I'm not a slatherer, so I guess I'll be on the prowl for a scent similar to Kyoto that will stay put on my skin. Edited by karen

My first reaction was "hellllllo almond!" even though almond isn't listed. A minute later I sniffed and it was suddenly floral (thar be the cherry blossom). The next moment it became anise and cherry blossom together, and still is. I'm not catching the sandlewood here. It's a pretty scent. I'm not sure if I want to smell this licoricy. Going to have to sit on this one a bit (not literally, though, we don't like squished imps).

Let the tongue-in-cheek begin!

In the bottle, it smells like the first exhalation of a jar of maraschino cherries, and when it touches my skin, instantly I'm overpowered with fond memories of staying home from school sick and drinking cherry Robitussin by the gallonful. (Granted, "reminding others of their childhood illnesses" is probably not the signature scent I want to choose for cocktail parties.) Anyway, the overpowering cherry-tacularness subsides to reveal a quieter, more subtle aroma of...evergreen? Good lord. It's a toxic waste-ridden Kyoto, where all of the sushi has three eyes and the ancient pines have started sprouting cherries! In fact, I fear that if I leave this on for too much longer, my wrists will grow cherries, and I'll have to find a way to explain my sudden resignation to my boss.

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled with this. I could wear it if it were the last perfume left in a post-apocalyptic world, and I had the choice of smelling like a cherry blossom car air freshener or breathing deeply of nuclear decay - but seeing as we're not quite there yet, I'll probably pass this one along.

Verdict: Yummy in the bottle, but my skin mutates it. Horrifically. Oh god.

Kyoto, I wanted to love you.

Cherry blossom loves me. White sandalwood is my friend. I can handle a LIGHT anise.

I open, the imp, sniff and pray. Its mostly cherry blossom. Apply sparingly to wrist. Most cherry blossom. And I'm encouraged, so I apply more.

WOAH LICORICE

Damned anise. I'll be passing this one along, as I'd rather not smell like a Good & Plenty.

In the vial, this is... hm. Something I can't quite pin down, not any of the listed notes, but somehow sweet.

Wet on my skin, it's nothing but star anise. It's the star anise show, starring star anise, with a special guest appearance by star anise. It's overwhelming and almost cloying; it makes my nose burn.

If I ride it out and give it a while to settle, the star anise stops being such a huge drama queen and instead deigns to share a wee bit of the stage with the cherry blossom and sandalwood. At that point, it's lovely, evocative of hanami, should one manage the miracle of finding a secluded spot. Sadly, it's also as fleeting as cherry blossoms themselves; it's barely settled into perfection before it's gone.

In the bottle: The lab says cherry blossom. I smell cherry.

On my skin: Cherry... cough syrup. No, actually, that's anise leaping out, strongly reminiscent of licorice. I wasn't a big fan of this combination in Kabuki, and I'm not liking it much better now.

Dried down: It pretty much just vanished, making it a definite pass.

Bottle: holy mother of god, this is the same maraschino cherry I get at the beginning of Hecate. and this is not gentle, no sir.

Wet: oh, hello anise. My grandmother makes these anise cookies, her German mother's recipe, only at xmastime. This really reminds me of those cookies.

Dry: I can just make out the sandalwood behind the anise. this is very interesting, not unpleasant..but I really like licorice and I'm craving, now. And this anise really clears the sinuses. Wow. I'm not complaining, they needed it, but..wow.

Later: I rather like ouzo, I just don't want to smell like it.

In imp: bleaaaaarg. Anise. And something fruity.

Wet: Anise!

Drydown: There's a fruity-cherry note that comes out. I have high hopes!

Top notes: A cherry-ish floral with a waft of anise.

Middle notes: Is that cherry-floral note cherry blossom? Anyway, that's the predominant note now.

Base notes: A dusty anise.

Throw: medium.

Overall: 3 out of 5.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Anise.

Preconceived notions: Star anise almost always ruins blends for me, so I'm not too optimistic.

In the imp: Sweet cherry blossom and anise!

On skin, wet: Oddly enough, this kind of smells like strawberry ice cream. Beneath that, the tell-tale tang of anise. After it calms down, it settles into cherry blossom and, well anise.

On skin, dry: Anise, anise, anise. It's the Anise show! It's not unpleasant in this blend, it's just.... very strong, not what I was hoping for, and not a note I particularly care for. The cherry blossom lingers, but only beneath the anise, far in the background.

Conclusion/Notes: A blend that smells like Anise single note with a brief hint of cherry blossom? No thanks.

Kyoto Review

In Senryu:

Frimp of Kyoto

Seems quite truly exotic

Reflects Japan clear

Wet it is lovely

The sweet pure cherry blossom

Tempers star anise

But I have never

Since wintergreen Crest toothpaste

Liked any anise

Kyoto is true

To the soul of its city

But sandalwood, come!

It cometh too late

Anise takes, rules and conquers

Bring on the soapsuds

Poor dear Kyoto

I love Japanese culture

But prefer Moscow

Any good woman

Wish to provide a good home

For little Kyoto?

Edited by indicolite

*applauds indicolite*

I can describe Kyoto in two words: "Ugh, Smartees."

I'm guessing that the the anise? I love cherry blossoms and I got absolutley none of that. It truly did remind me of Smartees which I also can't stand. Such a pity.

In the imp: Cherry blossoms. Mmm.

Alas, the imp's promise of that lovely cherry blossom scent was not to be. My skin picked up the anise and ramped it up through the roof, and it's inducing a headache. So it's definitely off to the swap pile with this one.

Kyoto - Hello, Licorice! When first applied, Kyoto is all licorice and nothing else. Lucky for me, I like licorice. After full dry-down, the licorice note becomes very subtle and becomes little more than a backdrop for the cherry blossom. There is the faintest hint of sandalwood, but it’s hardly noticeable. It rounds out the other notes and makes them blend together beautifully and smoothly. I love this fragrance. I am really enthralled by it. Unfortunately, it has little throw or staying power, but I’ll still keep wearing it because it’s so pretty.

I tried this once a long time ago, but I didn't review it-- it wasn't my Imp. Now I have my own, so it's time for a proper test. :P

In the Imp: Cherry blossom! Much lighter and less thick than the actual cherry note, although very similar. I can smell the anise, too, but not the sandalwood... yet. The overall effect is of some tasty Oriental candy. Mmm. (Oh, man, now I'm craving licorice and cherry Twizzlers. Great.)

Wet: A dry, pretty sandalwood comes to the fore, softening the impression of sugar. The anise drops back to a strong background note, spicing things up a little, and the cherry blossom floats lightly overhead, a faint impression of fruit and floral. It's a very unusual sort of smell for a perfume, but entirely pleasant. Not very strong, though, and I bet it'll be gone inside of five minutes.

Dry: Soft but still there! Each note is now perfectly balanced, creating a melange of interesting, but very good, smells (I like anise). The overall impression is friendly but exotic. This is nice-- much nicer than the vodka spray version I originally tried it in-- and I'll probably hang on to the Imp, although I'm not feeling any pressing need for a bottle. For some reason, I'm getting the impression this would be good to travel in. *shrug* Go figure!

Verdict: It's pretty and I'm glad it works on me.

Cherry blossom apparently turns into Sweet Tarts when it hits my skin. This one's getting swapped for sure. It's too bad, since I love the cherry blossom scent that Bath and Body Works has.

rating: 1/5

Edited by Nightbird

This one surprised me (in a good way!!!)

In the bottle: Eww. I smell cherry cough syrup. Figured it would not be that good, put it on anyway. Smelled nothing but cherry cough syrup.

Drying: Cherry cough syrup. Something a little spicy, but still cherry cough syrup. Yuck.

Dry: Oh. My. Goodness. :D I am in love. The cherry cough syrup has softened into a beautiful, delicate yet robust Sakura-- I get a small hint of the sandalwood and the star anise began to mellow beautifully. I smell feminine and delicate and lovely and wonderful but yet, mysterious and strong. This is now a huge favorite, I MUST get some of this.

So, goes to show, ya never know unless you put it on! I worship Kyoto now. :P

Edited by CelestialNM

In the imp: Booze soaked maraschino cherry, full of licorice. Is this what would happen if you soaked maraschino cherries in Jaegermeister? I hope the anise mellows on my skin. A little licorice can go a long way.....

On the wrist, wet: Licorice. Bugger. Don't do this to me Kyoto, I want to love you! There's a slight hint of something sweeter, but the waft is total licorice. :P Closer to the skin I can almost smell.... sandalwood maybe, but then it's all licorice again... Here's hoping the drydown is a big morph.

Drydown: Ooh! It's morphing. It's... sandalwood? Maybe a little bit of cherry. This is actually becoming quite pleasant, the anise is still there, but not as strong now...

Final Analysis: I can't decide on this one. It has a lot of licorice in it. Too much for my tastes, but at the same time it is a very intriguing scent, and when the licorice mellows, it's very pretty. I may have to try this again.

Cherries, citrusy cherries is what this smells like to me. The back note of sandlewood came out stronger after drying, but overwealmingly this smelled like astringent citrus cherries to me.

In the bottle: A hint of cherry-almond, florals and possibly anise.

Wet: Cherry blossom and green anise becoming stronger and stronger.

Drydown: Lovely, delicious anise and cherry blossom, a simple but very gentle and pleasant scent. Neither becomes overpowering, and it's a really lovely green/pink floral, with a fresh cool base of white sandalwood.

Overall: I never thought that I'd like cherry blossom and anise, but this is really lovely. It's gently spicy, beautifully fragrant, very green with anise, and pastel pink/white with cherry blossom and sandalwood. A beautiful springtime blend, I'll certainly wear it again. And I've found out that I love star anise!

Indicolite has composed the perfect review of Kyoto for me. :P

At first I am overwhelmed by very sweet cherries, and then the anise becomes "star" of the show. Too much "licorice" for me; as far as cherry blossom scents, I think I prefer Kitsune-Tsuki.

Wet: sweet, soft anise

Drydown: the cherry blossom is pretty faint, and is overall it's like a softer version of Kabuki, which is a blend I love to wear. The combination of the anise + cherry blossom produces a soft pink, but slightly metallic smelling combination.

It's really pretty, but I prefer the heavier in-your-face cherry note in Kabuki.

Mmm... cherries.... AHHHH... anise! < hides > Black licorice nastiness... this is what ruined Kabuki for me and now it's ruining Kyoto. < cries > Such a nasty sickly sweet note... anise really amps on me and it STINKS. After the initial drydown all I get is anise... blech. I was hoping this would be one of those notes that just never rears it's ugly head but here it is again... < sigh >

Kyoto-

In Bottle: Oh, yes, cherries and sandalwood. It's almost chocolaty, that sandalwood. And the cherry has the floral undertone that seems like cherry blossom instead of cherries.

Wet: Oh, my, I do like that. Woody and sweet; a little soapy. Very rich and spicy.

Dry: This is innnnteresting, and I say that with fondness. Such a spicy rich blend; the woodiness of it never gets too heavy, though. I may come to like this one a lot, I suspect.

Overall: I like; must try again.