Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Phantom Queen

An epithet of the Morrigan, crow-winged Celtic goddess of war, strife and fertility. Adoration of this Goddess is expressed both through the ecstasy of battle lust and the ecstasy of sexual regeneration. Black orchid, apple blossom, meadowsweet, and rue over Irish moss, hawthorn and red clover.

This is one of the most heavily feminine, floral BPAL oils I've tried. Very purple and powdery, like something the Dowager Empress might have worn. :P I don't at all get a Morrigan association with this, though not having worked with her, I suppose I really can't say that knowledgeably. This dries down just as it smells in the bottle - strong, commanding orchid. I find this very pretty, but I don't think it goes with who I am. But I'll definitely use up the imp.

Phantom Queen is indeed reminiscent of Unseelie, except it doesn't powder out on me (yay!). Unfortunately, I suspect that Phantom Queen doesn't turn into a powderfest on me because it is sickeningly sweet, probably due to the apple blossom note. I had to wash this one off because of the overpowering sweetness.

I do pick up some of the battlefield nuance in Phantom Queen.

Imagine crushed clover after the soldiers have moved on, and the delicate but resilient flower heads slowly popping back up one by one.

Or it could be clover crushed by the weight of two passionate lovers, to recall the fertility aspect.

The apple blossom and moss make for a very dry sweetness, and I don't find this syrop-y at all. The overall impression is of a woman with dignity, and quiet resolve.

Ok, this is a complicated scent, I think. At one moment it seems to be there and I get a strong whiff of it, then it recedes a little and I think it's gone....so interesting.

It's a floral, no doubt about it, but there is more than a hint of green in it. It's that come and go quality that is intriguing me. It smells beautiful, and almost honeysuckle'ish? No...

Ah, just like it's namesake. You think She's gone for a moment until She comes a calling and makes Herself known with no doubt. It's really lovely. Anyone who likes florals and greens would probably really enjoy this.

I liked Phantom Queen quite a bit. This is a dignified, though not stuffy, floral that I could see as being excellent bait to enable future BPAL fanatics. I really like the green earthiness added by the moss and clover. It grounds this scent, while still letting it be feminine. Phantom Queen didn't linger as long as some, but it is very nice and worth reaplying. Also I really like to incorporate this one into rituals or meditations.

Initially, I get quite a bit of orchid. Mmm, it reminds me of Queen Mab. However, the white florals come out, eventually completely dominating (practicall) the orchid. On the one hand, it's quite lovely, but on the other hand, it, combined with my sleep deprivation, is giving me a slight bit of a headache. When I re-read the description of Phantom Queen and Shollin's description, it all made a lot of sense. This is a bit like Bewitched, because this isn't a straight-up white floral scent. This seems a bit more wild. It doesn't have a berry smell or a grassy smell, but this makes me think of rolling in the fresh grass, with the wind blowing the floral scents over. This is lovely, but not my thing. I so do like the initial orchid stage, though.

ETA: This makes me think of Queen of Hearts, in that this is a white floral, but while Queen of Hearts is a refined sort of scent, this is the white floral out in nature. This also fades in and out. It's faded after five hours.

Edited by malanna

wet: ORCHID. :P My eyes pop out, roll back, fall shut, are retrieved dusted off and replaced in my head, and i swipe it on. Yes, the scent is thick deep and orchid, and i'm deeply falling head over heels. I'm not getting anything "fruity" or berrylike, but then i'm rather focused on this single floral note.

20 mins: dried, it's still all orchid, and though there's a faint faint faint sweet-tang I can't place the scent remains deep. I'm thinking "why not go place another single bottle order RIGHT NOW."

Then i get a clever idea, remembering that i want to try to get a grip on spending by not buying too many too similar scents - I've already got Queen Mab on the "hit list". I've noticed that trying a similar scent in a single point to reference back and forth with can help pick out different notes, though I always try to start a new scent "clean" with no interferance this countersniffing really helps with decision making. So i dot Queen Mab on my right hand and start slowly back and forth sniffing.

Suddenly.. Phantom Queen smells of green apples. @_@ THERE's the apple! Queen Mab now smells.. buttery musky and orchid, and Phantom Queen crisp and bright. Yes, there's the musk in Mab coming up. <3<3<3scampers off to paypal

Phantom Queen dries with a bright light green floating crispness, still orchid but now that i can pick out a bit more of the flavoring it's got a whole new aspect. Fresh and clean, no soap or tang spoiling the orchid but a wistful floral touch. Wow, would this make a wonderful spring scent! {For strong scent junkies like me, it's a floral for non-floralists, methinks.}

I'm SO happy to have the imp, am still "in the market" for another, and will share this one with my mom immediately to see what she thinks. i'll probably order this in February, let it arrive to cheer me up in March/April. It's a delightfully rich floral based on my favorite flower - a winner for orchid lovers.

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :D

First sniff:

This smells like flowers to me. Wildflowers, not flower shop flowers. I'm horribly at picking out individual floral notes, so I won't even deign to try on this one apart from saying it smells like wildflowers in full bloom with a hint of something almost fruity in the background.

Wet on skin:

Floral, but not the kind of floral I usually despise. This isn't overpowering or contrived smelling like most flower shop type floral scents are to me. This is random bursts of color and scent against a background of green. It's still not my kind of scent, but for once it's not because the floral notes are giving me a headache, but rather because I prefer darker, heavier scents.

Dry down:

This reminds me somewhat of Queen Mab, which must be the black orchid coming through. It's a very distinct, almost fruity kind of smell that's not quite my cup of tea, but quite nice all the same. This is a bright, random wildflower kind of floral scent, not a carefully arranged flower shop kind of scent and while neither one really appeals to me, I prefer the randomness of wildflowers to the careful combinations of a flower shop. :P

The bottom line:

Sadly, flowers aren't my thing, although, as flowers go, this is a lovely scent. This one's going to have to be swapped, though, because it's just not me. :D

This is very sexy, sophisticated, yet the sweetness fruity burst in it makes it playful to me as well.

Flowery, yet fruity, and soft, not in your face floral, hmmm, I wish I was better at detecting notes - I like this one a lot though, and it deserves to be dubbed "Queen."

Phantom Queen, for me, is a pretty standard, but not overwhemlingly anything fruity floral. It's nice enough, and lasts a long time with minimal changes, but it's just not anything but a standard BPAL floral to me. :P

Wet - this smelled a lot like Old Glasgow (blackberries and heather), and I was surprised because the ingredients are not the same, but I did picture the same kind of field in my head.

Dry - The sweetness is gone, and the blessed meadow remains. This scent is set to be one of my favorites.

My favorite flowers have always been wildflowers, and this scent is meadows and flowers under a blue sky! :P

This isn't "my type" of scent at all but it's so gorgeous nonetheless. I get VERY strong mental images of a meadow here. It smells very purple and hazy and feminine, but not the girly-girl kind of feminine. The flowers are soft yet deep and not at all what you'd typically think of as a floral (or at least what I do). I can't even pick out the individual notes! I'm not terribly familiar with the Morrigan but this scent does seem to perfectly fit the land in which she originated.

Not bottle-worthy as I wont wear it regularly, but I will cling to the imp and order another if I see fit.

:P

Edited by luxuria

Phantom Queen smells like the candy-sweet floral that I loved in Queen Mab. Phantom Queen is less grassy, which I like. The first time I tried it, I was reminded of potpourri I used to love when I was younger. I like it, but I wish it had something spicy to make it more naughty than nice. :P As I keep sniffing it, Phantom Queen shifts between a powdery floral and a sharp floral that makes me think of Herbal Essences shampoo. I hardly wear Phantom Queen but I'll keep it around because it's so beautiful.

In the bottle: Floral, fresh, and somewhat mossy and damp.

Wearing: Orchid is most definitely the main scent here. In fact, aside from the Irish moss, it's the only note that I can accurately pick out. There's a bit of a sour smell coming from what might be apple blossom...and why do I smell wine? That's not a bad thing, just very unexpected. This is a very dark blue/violet.

Later: Wow, great staying power! Not many changes come about. It's a very stable scent, overall. It's too bad that flowers aren't my thing, but this will make a swapper who likes them very, very happy.

In the Bottle: Black orchid, apple blossom, and something sweet and seductive. I'm really liking this so far.

On Me: Ooooh, sweet and tangy, the black orchid and apple blossom go great together! The apple blossom is very sweet, adding to the sexual fragrance of black orchid, like innocence turned raunchy! This is really good, a nice blend to wear in the bedroom. Bathing in this one!!

Now, this has to be my fave so far from this order, and it was a gimp. It was on my wishlist too. I just love this so much. Oh, where to begin?

In the bottle: Fresh, floral and a little bit green. This is beginning to make me think that maybe I've found my spring fragrance.

On: Oh wow. This IS what I've been looking for in a springtime fragrance. It's a medium-light floral, yet it's sweet (must be the apple blossoms). The touch of green makes it fresh. I'm getting a vision of a maiden with flowers in her hair rushing to the love of her life to give herself to him as he rides home victorious from battle. Don't get me wrong, however, the black orchid keeps this from being too innocent and sweet. It also brings to mind a field speckled with wildflowers and dew as the sunrises and the troops are headed there to battle.

Drydown-The moss is stronger now, bringing a bit of earth to this otherwise fairly ethereal scent.

This lasted for about 4 hours on me, then slowly faded away as it should, being the Phantom Queen. This is going to be a 10mL purchase, for sure!!!

Hmm..interesting. This, to me, doesnt smell berryish at all. I think my skin may amplify floral tones, because anything Ive tried on which is a bit floral seems to end up smelling exactly the same on me!!!

This smelt slightly more.... potent in the vial, and Im glad that it dried down to somethng more powdery, as it was a bit too much at first.

I dnot know if this is even in here, but I can smell honeysuckle mixed with other flowers.....lily maybe, but with something heavier beneath it. (Another floral though)

I dont mean this in a negative way, but for some reason this reminds me of my grandmother. I think it is a combination of lots of florals that were a popular mixwhen she was younger.

That's how Id describe this, an old fashioned floral, but that's not to say that tat in itself is a bad smell.

As I said however, most of the floralish imps Ive tried so far have ended up smelling practically identical, so it may well be that my skin amplifies a floral tone.

Edited by purely_cosmetic

Looks like I can add another 5ml to my next order!

I agree, at first this reminded me of Queen Mab, due to the orchid. Orchids love me so! But this was a darker orchid, a bit shadowy.

A few hours later, and Phantom Queen's slightly wicked undertone vanished, replaced by crisp, sunny apple. It does not smell fruity by any means - it's barely detectable to my nose. It brightens the blend.

I do not get a lot of throw, but I'm content to apply this liberally and often. Every stage is gorgeous.

In the bottle: a lovely mix of flowers

Wet: hmmm...I can't tell the difference between the flowers. It's just a big bouquet.

Drying/Dry: FLOWERS. They've gotten stronger over time. This scent has a massive throw with only a tiny application.

Overall: Too flowery on me. This seems to be the case with all flowery blends. :P Off to swap!

In the bottle it's quite light and oddly chemical, light sniffing paint.

Drying on my skin, it's a pale, soft, green over flowers. Powedery and slightly sweet (apple, I think), it's making my nose twitch badly. The orchid is very nice.

It's certainly lovely, reminiscent of a warm and calm Spring day, though it doesn't suit me very well. It's girlish and wistful, but the apples are doing something odd. I may well try it again come Spring, as in the right weather, this would probably be gorgeous.

Phantom Queen

This was a freebie from the lab.

Preconceived notions: complex and stormy, meadow in spring. Sounds nice, but it wasn’t one of my urgent must-haves, especially since the stormy scents have ended up really light on me, and I prefer darker scents, for the most part.

In the vial: I’m definitely getting the grassy meadow here.

On me: Still a grassy meadow, but it’s a soft and gentle - wind-blowing-through-the grasses kind of scent. And strangely, whether this is my imagination or in the scent, I do get the sense of some kind of warrior power hiding in the dense grasses. It definitely provokes visions of a battlefield. Again, though, this could be me trying to make a peaceful floral scent into something it’s not just because of its name. Just - there’s something unearthly about it.

In 15 minutes: Still a nice, sweet meadow. It’s also less strong than the original scent, as would be expected, but it’s not really fading. I’ve abandoned my battlefield images, and feel that this is actually a very peaceful, calming, and happy scent.

In 45 minutes: The same. I think it’s beginning to fade a bit, now, though.

Overall: This is a lovely, gentle, calming floral. I’ll probably keep the imp, but as I do prefer darker scents, I probably won’t be getting more.

For some reason I was expecting a scent called Phantom Queen to be light and powdery, but this isn't at all. It's really, really nice. This scent is a lovely deep berry and floral. It's much like Glasgow, a favorite of mine, though this is warmer, and less fresh than Glasgow. It's like red, ripe berries, with flowers growing in the underbrush. I really love this. mmmmmmm.

Oddly enough, Phantom Queen is very gentle and sleepy on my skin. I swear that I can smell chamomile although it is not listed as an ingredient. The chamomile is joined by the soft scent of flowers with an herbal edge to them.

There is a lovely hint of apple in the background and I wish that it was stronger because this is the first BPAL apple that smells natural on my skin.

Phantom Queen is a lovely scent but I can't see myself wearing it often, especially since it is very short-lasting. It needed reapplication after an hour.

At first I smell the sharpness of apple blossom, followed by the more deep floral scent of orchid--both scents I love. This is a lovely, regal floral, dark but not overbearing. I think it's the moss or hawthorn that keeps this from becoming a "sneezy" floral. Onto the big-bottle list it goes. :P

Edited for punctuation. blergh.

Edited by Shollin

So way back in the day when I purchased my first order, Phantom Queen was one of the imps I selected. Unfortunately, I was only able to smell it from the bottle before someone at work stole my entire package. But bygones! I remember that I thought it was too sweet and high in the nose so when I placed my second order, I decided not to get it. But alas, this queen is definitely a phantom and has been lingering in the back of my mind for a long time. When I was offered it a few weeks ago, I couldn't resist.

This time around, I didn't think it was as sweet in the bottle. I think my nose has grown wiser since the last time the Queen and I met. It definitely smelled floral and summery.

On, the Queen turns into this wonderful creamy floral. I stays away from all the high floral notes that make me sneeze and lingers somewhere near the sweet grasses and blooming flowers. I imagine a farm in the countryside, rolling hills full of wildflowers, sweet grasses blowing in the wind, and a hint of grains from the farmhouse. I know there are no grains in this, but it feels like there are :P

I'm kicking myself for waiting this long to find a replacement for my stolen imp...but at least I finally got to try her because I definitely love her!