Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Phantom Queen

An epithet of the Morrigan, crow-winged Celtic goddess of war, strife and fertility. Adoration of this Goddess is expressed both through the ecstasy of battle lust and the ecstasy of sexual regeneration. Black orchid, apple blossom, meadowsweet, and rue over Irish moss, hawthorn and red clover.

In the imp, I'm getting apple and orchid, this could be really interesting. On my skin, it's pretty much the same, and I think the red clover might be doing a honeyish turn on me. Thinking this may go straight on to a second full skin test. Except for the part where it fades to moss and herbs in five minutes. Ugh. Going to pass on this one too. Edited by Shollin

This was a frimp from somewhere-sounds interesting, though I never would have picked it out.

Whoa-this is sweeter than I expected-sweet orchid, apple blossom (very noticeable here in the imp) and green scents.

Huh-this is very pretty-honestly, on my skin it is a VERY strong/heady orchid/apple blossom scent. Very intense and floral-almost reminds me of expensive/fancy soap. Dries down with less of an edge, but is still a distincly floral/orchid/apple blossom scent. When I say it reminds me of soap, I don't mean 'soapy'-it just, reminds me fancy soap. Not sure I would need a bottle of this, but I enjoyed the imp far more than I thought I would-more sweet and floral than I would have expected.

Initially this was smelling sweet, but it has dried down to a darker floral tone (orchid?) that has a very green background with a touch of spice.

Don't think I will buy a bottle, but I will keep the imp.

Juicy wet apple-berries!!

Slightly cool lemon herbiness seeping through.

Sweet, fruity clean and oh so lovely. This wasn't what I expected at all, but I absolutly LOVE IT :heart:

If this oil had a color, it would be a dark peach.

The notes I smell while drying is a sweet apple/floral combination. There is a slight tartness from the apple but it is very subdued compared to other apple scents. Very well rounded. I find myself really falling for the meadowsweet.

Dry, it turns into a spicy floral, with the sweetness of the apple lingering around the edges. This floral is more robust, I can only assume its the orchid. Wish I could smell the moss, but its probably in there to keep the sweetness balanced.

The scent made me feel very light and confidently feminine. Something to wear with a spring dress or skirt.

This lasts for about two hours. It doesn't seem to like my skin very much.

The throw was NOT there. Its one of those nose-to-your-wrist scents.

Verdict: Pretty, and I'll keep the imp around. Can't break the bank over a perfume with no throw, however.

imp: very sweet, fruity floral

wet: I'm getting apple from this, similar to the apple in Delirium (but softer, sweeter without the lemon), with delicate greenery and flowers. Extremely cool and refreshing.

dry: stays the same. Fades too quickly, but it's worth it to reapply.

I really like this! Might get a bottle.

Edited by animalcule

In the Imp: clean (slightly soapy?), lilac and clover, green (like fleshy, juicy stems)

Wet on Skin: It has that clean/slightly soapy feel - the apple blossom?

While Drying: This is similar in feel to blends like Baobhan Sith and Szepasszony, but I like both of those much more than this. The Boy says Phanton Queen smells like the fragrance from hotel bath bars.

After a Little While: Fairly light, low throw. The slight soapiness is sticking around.

Phantom Queen earns a 2/5 on my skin.

Frimp from the Lab. I probably wouldn't have ordered this based on the notes, but the connection to the Morrigan meant I really wanted to like it.

In the imp: Soap. Floral soap.

Wet: Still soap. Like standing in front of a display of handmade soaps, where all the scents blend together, but under it all there's soap. (hm, I wonder how many times I can say that word in this review)

Dry down: Floral and green, but I have a hard time picking out specific notes on this one. Right up against my arm, it fluctuates between high end soap and dusting powder. But with my arm further away, I get a lovely green floral with something sharp lingering after.

Dry: I keep succumbing to the must sniff my arm of new bpal, but really this is much better with a bit of distance. I still can't pick out specific notes, though.

Overall: This is the part in the movie, or better yet, the D&D campaign, where everything is going too well, and things are too quiet. While it's not what I would have thought for the Morrigan, I can feel something of her energy in the sharp and dark lurking just out of sight. I smell/taste/feel this one in the back of my throat, but not in a bad way.

Impressions: Spring green with purpled shadows. Soft with jagged edges.

Wet: Herbal floral with a fruity note. Mainly orchid and apples. Oh, this is good. Wild and strong.

Drydown: The different notes have all melded into a dark, heady, intoxicating purple-green scent. Womanly, confident, absolutely gorgeous.

Dry: Back to orchid and apples on a bed of green things. I wish I knew more of these notes, it's possible that I can smell meadowsweet, rue, hawthorn and/or red clover, I'm just unable to identify them. This is absolutely lovely, though, if somewhat faint. My favourite so far. Of course. I was hoping I wouldn't care for it since it's been DC'ed, but no luck. Will have to hunt for more.

Keep: Yes

Bottle: Please

I'm not usually one for florals at all, in the sense that even being in a room with certain fresh flowers will give me piercing headahes, sometimes, let alone a perfume on my body that I can't escape from. So, when I opened the imp of it and sniffed for the first time, I went aw, man, it's a strong floral. But then I tried it on anyway, and I am very, very glad I did - because apparently the one floral I actually can wear is orchid. I hadn't realized that what what this was, at first, not until I looked it up later, and now I'm going to be attempting to gather/try orchid scents, because I do want to like forals...

On me this starts out very strong and thick, warm-cloying-fuzzy kind of flower that kind of reminds me of mild intoxication in scent-form. I don't get the green smell most people have mentioned in their reviews at first, just that warm headspinny floral, but it's not a bad headspinny. No headache.

As it starts to dry, I notice a faint edge that cools it down, takes some of the heat and thickness away. I still don't get green, exactly, it just chills and sharpens a little, like something coming slightly into focus. It stays this way for a long time, and I really do get the powerful / in-charge sort of impression from this, even not having associations with the inspiration behind it. It's a feminine scent, but one that's not childish or overly flirtatious. It doesn't feel out of place on me.

And once it's fading out, it's a sweet warm smell again, but much fainter. I think the apple blossom has overpowered the orchid, though thankfully it appears apple blossom doesn't hurt my head either. This stage of it reminds me of something, but I can't quite place what it is. My mind goes to fabric softener, but I know that's not it, it's just the thing I'm mentally tripping over trying to identify it. Something from my childhood, or ....something like that. Anyway, I like it a lot.

Basically: this is the one floral I want to buy a bottle of. And, seeing the reviews for it mentioning similarities to Queen Mab, I'll be looking for a sample of that one, for sure. I need more orchid/safe florals in my life. 5*'s, or whatever. <3

I got this imp as a freebie from a forum member. I never would have picked it out for myself. I shy away from florals. Nearly every floral bpal I've tried turns soapy. Not my beautiful phantom queen!

When I smell this I have a hard time picking out notes because it is so beautifully blended. And I don't get the obvious floral either. The best way I can describe it is ethereal. Its fresh and cool and beautiful. My fiance loves this one. It is light, however. Not a ton of throw and fades pretty quickly. So I will just have to slather it on and reapply because I do love it. Its also something I can wear to work and won't seem too heady.

I love phantom queen! :wub2:

Wow.. the things I would never have tried, had I not been frimped them! Yes.. Phantom Queen definitely falls into that category - floral-y things mixed with moss and green things are not usually my cup o'tea at all.

But when I first pull the lid from the imp, I am greeted with a lovely clean apple smell - kind of like a green apple scented shampoo that I used to use years ago. When I first apply the oil, it's all apple blossom - creamy, sweet, soft but not weak.. just gorgeous. Then the black orchid comes out with that lovely waxy texture, and for a little while there this is all the best parts of my beloved old green apple shampoo but without the soap smell.

Ten minutes in, and the greenery starts to come forth - kind of like a little forest of smells slowly and deliberately marching over the top of the soft sweetness of the apple + orchid. Bad, bad forest! Back off!! But no.. the final score here is forest of greenery wins the battle over the delicate apple and orchid fragrance.

This really isn't something I would wear, which is probably just as well since it's discontinued now, but it is quite lovely nonetheless and I know I'll find just the right home for my imp one day, because I see plenty of people do love this one. Great for those who like the sweetness of fruit and floral but enjoy the rich deep tones of dark greens.

The first time I tried Phantom Queen, I felt it was too commercial. I can still smell the underlying floral note that originally made me think that, but this time, there is something that makes it more complex. I think this will be a lovely spring scent - it makes me think of green fields and mountains in the dark before the sun rises, the way the cold night transforms into a beautiful day - but it is not warm or comforting in the slightest. Quite true to its' name.

In the imp: Apple, with a subtle, herby, and almost earthy sweetness.

Wet: Soapy, spicy, earthy apples. Nice, but a bit cleaning product-y.

Dry: Pretty much. Meh.

Dark clover and heady apple blossom. There is an almost minty green note as well, as well as something that smells suspiciously like Skadi. I thought I wouldn't like this but lo and behold, it's rather lovely. I don't think I'd wear it though, so I'm safe.

This was just all aquatic on me. I was hoping for more depth being that it is based on the Morrigan, but alas it is just wet florals.

Wet, Phantom Queen smells very clean on me. Clean and springtimey, like what Irish Spring soap ought to smell like but doesn't. I didn't get a discrete apple note; this was definitely floral and herbal, not fruity on me. Though I like clover scents, this one has too much dew along for the ride. Try Phantom Queen if you like The Fairies, The Passionate Shepherd to His Love, or Glasgow.