Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ReallyZeb

Give Me Thy Breath, My Sister

Give Me Thy Breath, My Sister

“Give me thy breath, my sister,” exclaimed Beatrice; “for I am faint with common air! And give me this flower of thine, which I separate with gentlest fingers from the stem, and place it close beside my heart.”

Lilith absolutely adores her carnivorous plants. She is doting and gentle… decidedly loving… and tends them with all of her precise, attentive Virgo care. She has a small pot of scarlet pink pitcher plants that are all her own, and two bogs that she shares with mom and dad.

Rosy snap-traps, syrupy mucilage, and pink, ballooning bladders: a scent like honey cotton candy, with hints of mint, sugar crystals, and a hint of crisp, bog-moist greenery.

In the bottle it's minty candy floss. When applied it's sharply mint first, then sugary mint like creme de menthe.

After it dries its fruity and pink, reminding me most of Rosy Maple Moth but less citrusy, more minty. This would be a perfect early summer scent.

In the bottle: When this first arrived, this was somewhat off-putting. There was a blast of bog-moist greenery, and it wasn't very pleasant. I'm not sure how to describe it, except to say that it smelled like a really stinky green plant in the summer heat? The cotton candy note lingered in the background.

After settling for a week, the greenery is still quite prominent, but it has calmed down significantly. The cotton candy, sugar, and mint notes are a lot stronger now. The green aspects of the scent (greenery and mint) are stronger than the sugary notes, but the sugary notes aren't far behind in prominence.

Wet: A rush of sugar, followed by the greenery and mint. Despite the presence of the green notes, this is very a syrupy, sweet scent. The mint is a soft mint, and it is not as intense as the peppermint found in scents like Lick It. Meanwhile, the greenery note really does have a moist quality to it, and fortunately, it doesn't remind me of a stinky plant on a hot day. :P

I'm really enjoying the sugary mint in this scent thus far.

Dry: The scent is a lot softer now. The scent is staying close to the skin. The honeyed cotton candy dominates, followed by what is a very light, smooth mint.

Verdict: I am SO glad that I took a chance on this one. Don't let the greenery scare you away if you are interested in this! The sweet notes steal the show. I feel like I'm smelling a cloud of sweet cotton candy gloriousness with a bit of mint. :wub2: I think I will reach for this one a lot during the spring and summer months.

Edited by dementia_divine

I had a slightly different experience. I get ultra honey with a mossy, boggy, clean backdrop.

Though this doesn't seem to have the citrusy nature of Sundew, it smells very bright, cheerful. It actually smells a lot like a humid sunny greenhouse full of moss and carnivorous plants. But mostly it smells like honey. The mint is present and welcome but not obtrusive.

As it dries down, the honey dials it back somewhat and the whole scent gets softer. Anyone who has the problem of honey turning plastic <i>might</i> have a problem with this at least before the scent dries down. Also anyone who dislikes moss might not like this.

This is interesting! It's sweet and green and a little wet. It's a pretty unusual combination of greenery + pink sugar candy. I get only a slight whisper of mint in the background. I quite enjoy honey notes, but I don't get much honey here, just sugar and candy over damp green.

It feels like a summer scent, something cooling and sweet. I don't generally like "green" scents, but somehow pink + green is fine, if a little quirky. Probably not something I'll need more of, but I'm glad I tried it because I don't think I've smelled anything like it.

Sweet greenery and pink sugar candy. The greenery becomes a mere wisp, and the pink sugary cany and I get more of a rosy floral to it. In some ways, it makes me think of sugary incensed flowers.

Sweet, sugary, flowers.

Herbal greenery at first, with a touch of spicy floral. I'm not to fond of it at this stage, but further in, it becomes sweeter with the honey. It kind of reminds me of a Lilith blend from the Post from last year, a kind of powdery honey with florals and greenery. The other blend had a background of lavender though. I do own that blend already, so don't need any of this one. Quite pretty, though. I'll add the name of that blend when I check... Ahh, no need, I remrmber now...Capax Infinity, I think.

This is mostly greenery on me - it really evokes a kind of bog! There is a bit of sugar in the background, and in the beginning I get a bit of mint, but it doesn't last long.

I kind of like it, but I'm not sure I like it enough to warrant a bottle.

Preconceived notions: I like sweet scents, and I also like Sundew. I'm hoping this will be like a Sundew variation.

In the decant: There's a lot going on in here! There's a "greenery" note for sure that smells herbal and a little minty (oh, I see now that "hints of mint" is written on the notes, I forgot about that), there's a kind of cinnamony spicy note (though it's not too strong), and the overall scent is sweet. What this reminds me of is actually the Cool Tropical room at the university greenhouse -- they have a lot of orchids, some of which have a sweet or spicy smell, and this reminds me of sniffing them combined with the overall wet green smell in the room.

On my skin: Uh, this kind of smelled like weed for about two seconds, but that went away. Overall, it's an almost pulpy sticky green scent with the mint cooling it. It's not as sweet as I thought it would be from the description. The skin-scent reminds me of the Cool Tropical room a little less, but that's still the overall sort of impression - humid, green, plantiness. This is the kind of scent I was hoping for with the jungley scents I've tried like Macchu Picchu, but those have mostly ended up smelling cloying and given me a headache. It's the same sort of overall feeling -- cool, wet jungle -- that I get from Goldenrod Crab Spider.

I like it, but not quite enough to get a full bottle since I do have a limited BPAL budget. I will keep my decant though. :)

Oh my goodness, I have yet to find a Lilith, past or present, that I do not like yet. In the bottle and when wet on the skin at first, this is prominently sweet mint with honey lurking behind as it dries down. Not a cool mint like peppermint. As it dries down, it becomes more sugar cotton candy, but the green gives it a nice balance.

I got this as a frimp as when the 2015 Liliths came out, this seemed too sweet for my tastes, but like I said, the green balances it out - which I am often finding in the Liliths. When I think they will be too sweet, there's usually some natural greenery or earth to prevent them from being so. Next year, I will probably be a bit more...generous in my Lilith selection. :)

There's something about this that reminds me of Southern nights sitting on the front porch, in the spring or early summer, smelling the magnolia trees and mimosa trees as the breeze wafts by. Or passing by a honeysuckle bush, maybe. It is a green scent, but also very sweet. I don't get candy from it, though -- I get sweet flowering trees or bushes. It smells like my childhood, pulling pink mimosa blossoms off the mimosa tree and burying my face in them.

I don't normally do florals or greens but the nostalgia is so strong for me that I may need a bottle of this for when I feel homesick for east Texas.

Unfotunately I don't get any of the candy or mint in this, on me it's all florals and greenery. It's pleasant enough (smells just like a country garden in full bloom), but not really my style.

This is so lovely,

In vial I smell honey. Thick rich honey. 

Wet on skin I first smelled a blast of green. Like fresh spring green. It smelled like a gentle breeze rolling over spring fields of flowers. And I wondered where the honey went!

Next, before drying I got the mint, and it’s a sharp scent. Wasn’t liking the mint...

But, when DRY it is such a lovely honey and spring flowers. I wouldn’t say I smelled cotton candy, but the florals do smell light and airy, like the mouth feel of spun sugar. It is a happy scent. ❤️