Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Venus

Blissful Love - Romance - Passion - Grace - Beauty - Joy Good Luck in Love and Money - Kindness - Affection - Artistic Inspiration and Success - Harmony - Reconciliation - Sensuosity - Charm - Elegance - Delight

venus, to me, smelled like an well cared for garden full of expensive, fragrant roses, with fresh cut grass or something else green in the background. it was very nice, very rich and posh smelling, but sadly turned to a soapy, powdery smell on me after an hour or so. *sigh*

Initial Sniff: An old-fashioned garden with herbs, flowers, and a broken path around a small fountain.

Wearing: Some herb really kicks it up at first - sage, maybe? But then the rose arrives. And drowns out all that is good about this fragrance.

Final Impressions: *sigh* I still can't wear rose. I don't know why I keep thinking that will change.

In bottle: Mint. Mint and green, like dandelions or flower stems. But at the same time, hints of flowers, but they are indistinguishable.

On me: Mint and the continuing green. The flowers are growing more powerful; there's definitely some rose in there. It's quite feminine and all-in-all, quite lovely!

Venus:

Originated from: Celestials circular swap

Wet: Green and herbal, which is not at all what I expected. Oddly, there's something in this that reminds me vaguely of Calliope.

Drydown: Still very green and herbal, with hints of rose.

Longterm wear: A very lovely scent, but I doubt I'd wear it on a regular basis.

Courtesy of the Celestials circular swap!

In the imp: Green florals.

Wet: Oh, rosebuds!

Drydown: Soft, gentle roses.

Final thoughts: This is a nice, gentle rose blend. Although it's green in tone, I don't get the herbal or minty goodness that other people reference. Very feminine, very elegant and very stylish.

Yes, it's rose and mint -- something like the rose from the Empress, but the mint wafts by very gently, like someone with pink lips and minty breath has just given you a kiss.

Soft, comforting and very feminine -- this is the kind of rose that becomes sweet powder on me. My cat wants to lick this off of me...it must be the mint.

This is also the kind of rose that tends to give me a headache, but it mellows after awhile.

I'm learning, with trying the Celestial blends that these are definitely not necessarily meant for wearing like normal perfumes. The emotions that each brings forth when I try them gets confusing after awhile, they all seem very directed toward their purpose and can be overwhelming at times. I can't imagine wearing many of these but I can definitely imagine using them in other ways, if I was inclined to do so. For this I imagine it would go well with pink and green candles and some rose petals when one wanted to send out good Venus vibes. I do wish that I had a complete set of these at least as imps, for whenever I needed to spend some time on a particular planet.

Venus would be a nice place to visit! :P

In the bottle: I know this scent. I really do. It smells exactly like something else I can't recall. That drives me nuts.

First on: A light floral blend with a hint of sweetness. Totally fitting.

Drydown: This stays a nice boquet of flowers without being a floral scent, if that makes sense. It's a very feminine romantic scent, but it's still got some drive to it.

This is something I would wear if I went to a springtime wedding or something sweet & romantic.

Venus - From the Celestials swap.

In the bottle: Light, bright, mint?, floral? Hmmm.....

On me: Smells like expensive soap - like lily of the valley or something. I didn't get rose, even though everybody else seems to. It's a very light and pretty scent.

Drydown: Turning minty, which is also really nice. However, as it wears it turns back to soap. I'd still wear this one, though. :P

Bottle (Imp): This smells sweet, and minty?

Just On: Yes, I get sweet, and it is minty. Not strong mint, just a nice mintyness.

An hour or two later: Hmm, this starts to turn soapy. There must be flowers in here.

Around 6 hours: A hint soapy, not too bad, and some sweet, and a bit of spice.

12 hours: Barely there spicy soap. Nice spicy soap.

Overall: This isn't too bad, although I could do without the soap.

After reading other reviews: I get the green and pink associations with this, and concur. I like it, but don't LOVE it.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Minty rose.

In the imp/bottle: Rose! At first, nothing but rose. Beneath that, something minty.

On skin, wet: A very strong minty rose.

On skin, dry: Same as wet. Strong rose and bitter mint. I can't figure out what kind of mint, though. Something not very pleasant, at any rate.

Conclusion: Minty rose. I love mint, but don't care for rose, so I'm not terribly surprised that this turned out badly for me.

Edited by Aredhel

Forgive my short-ish review, I had to write up a bunch of reviews quickly as part of the Celestial swap circle...

That's it, my nose is broken. I got an ozoney almond out of this one, didn't work on me at all. Plus, makes me sneeze the second I smell it.

minty roses for me.......quite lovely ......lasting power is excellent...

something else besides rose comes out as well....might also be a tad of lavender or lilac....just an all around delightful concoction....perfect for steamy summer evenings :P

Either my nose is off, or I actually am getting something quite different from the other reviews here. First whiff on my skin smells like a green/brown mixture. Almost a resin-y, grassy scent. I notice no rose, a bit of light wildflowers with a little herb- maybe sage? This is an interesting scent, and it morphs on me into something a lot stronger than when I initially applied it. It's not a must have for me, but I am glad I tried it and it will have a place in my repertoire for when I want something different. Thanks jj_j, for the imp!

:P

I will be picking up at least one bottle of this the next time I'm at BB (I will cry if they don't have it). I tried it on the last time I was there, but couldn't spend any more money to get it.

My skin likes to take rose and really pump it up. It's a good thing I like rose. And this particular rose is sooooooooo nice. It's a little sweet and I'm getting a touch of the green that everyone is mentioning, but mostly ROSE. mmmmmmmmmm

I love it.

This would be good for layering too.

-cute roommate review- "mmm I like it. :D " (and he really doesn't usually like floral ones)

Origin - part of the TAL circular swap

Wet - a lovely rose blend with a bit of green as well.

Dry - as others have said, this is all pink and green. This is what I was expecting from The Empress. It's a soft but lovely rose, and not the one that goes powdery on my skin (yay!) A bit too rose for my tastes, but for rose lovers, I would imagine this would be the ultimate blend.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3.

From the Celestial Swap.

A green scent. A whole rose plant, not just the flowers. Maybe a hint of jasmine or gardenia at first. A very elegant floral. Very feminine and very strong.

From the Celestial Swap....

From reading through the reviews, I was expecting pink and green, roses and grasses, sheer utter femininity.

What I got was a fresh, white scent that is mostly sweet fruit with perhaps a hint of sage and lemongrass. There's something lemonny-herbal in here- not a citrus lemon, but the fresh, juicy scent you get from chopping up green herbs.

I think there's something about my body chemistry that emphasizes herbs and spices... not that I'm complaining!

I like this quite a lot (although it starts to go a bit soapy after a bit); it just wasn't what I was expecting!

Feminine, very, very feminine indeed!

Floral with a touch of green, I can smell roses and white flowers (Damascus rose, perhaps?).

This is really a "Venus" scent.

Celestials: Venus::

(Origin: TAL circular swap.) Pink and green and white. This is a very feminine love blend. It is soft and gracious without being submissive or ostentatious. I smell a white floral coupled with mint. I have a hunch that it's wintergreen, as I'm fairly certain it's the same mint that was in Frost Moon. This reminds me of springtime, right after the frost melts and the palest flowers begin to emerge from the shivering soil. As Venus blends go, this is much lighter and airier than others I’ve smelled. I like it quite a bit for ritual purposes, even if I wouldn't wear it on my skin.

112809750.jpg

In the bottle

Smells like light roses with a soft aquatic background.

On

So normally this might smell like Kurukulla or Two Six and Seven but because of some herbal or otherwise lunar-ty[e oils this is so much better. Instead of being a rose scent, this is a lunar type oil with a bit of rose to it. Pungent pickling spice herbies in there. Very ethereal like but more feminine than Blue Moon say. But Venus doesn't have that cool cucumbery air. Instead it has the rose.

30 minutes

Now this blend has some kind of "ewww" factor. I know it's just an herbal thing as I've smelled this before in a blend or two. It's pickle juice like.

Throw:

A wee bit more than average

Scent category:

Floral/Herbal

Summary

This is more rosey and more pungent than I initially thought.

This is very close to Kurukulla. :P

Purchase again?

No.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

First sniff: Wet flowers, wet rose, with a tiny hint of mint. The aquatic-ness caught me off guard a bit… but then, of course, Venus was born of the Sea.

Wearing: Rosey rosey rosey! And still that little bit of mint. But it’s primarily rose, and there aren’t many rose scents I can wear.

I was expecting Venus to smell sweeter and more floral, but it is neither on my skin. It smells like an herb garden and has a definite minty bite to it. Like crushing fresh mint leaves between your fingers. There is also a slight aquatic note underneath the herbal mint scent. I don't really like mint, and this doesn't smell like anything that I would normally wear.

In the drydown, this starts to get both soapy and powdery. It's not awful, but it's also not something that I would ever choose to wear. I'm afraid that Venus and I are going to have to go our separate ways.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed Venus yet!! I've had and loved her for so long, now that she's about to be re-released, I feel I should do my duty.

I'm one of those people that can't do florals - 99% of them turn into soap (especially roses) or air freshener on me. But I think Venus is the floral for us "anti-floral" people. When I wear her I finally understand the appeal of rose scents. I picture the tiniest little pink rosebuds among a mass of pale green leaves, like a bedspread/wallpaper pattern, only with living plants. She's minty and sweet and lovelily delicious.

(In hindsight my love for Venus doesn't surprise me actually - I've got Venus in Libra in the 2nd house, so the planet and I understand each other pretty well.)

To anyone who's thinking they don't need to try Venus because she sounds completely wrong for you, let me urge you to give her a try, even if it's just an imp - from reading the reviews I never in a million years would have believed she would work on me.

Edited by roesmoker

minty roses. 2 notes that generally don't do well on me. It starts out great, but then my body amps up the roses till its so strong I have to wash it off

Received today in record time (16 days) with my Budding Moon order. Thanks so much, Lab! You rock, but you already knew that ... it never gets old saying so.

Lush, pink roses, bottled. Strong throw from the bottle, as it's sitting on my desk, open, and I can definitely smell it. I'm in a rose garden! Definitely a richer rose smell than Parlement of Foules, which was an instant favourite for me, but not quite as rich and opulent as The Peacock Queen. I should also say that this isn't a sinister rose. This is a prize-winning exhibition rose in a rose-growing competition.

... And on my skin, it apparently KNOWS it's a prize-winning rose. It's just a little bit proud, not haughty or arrogant, because it knows it's beautiful and deserves the accolades it's received. As pink is in between red and white, this rose is between the innocent yet sharp white and the arrogant, dark red.

Are people getting mint from this? I'm not, but then again, my skin likes rose more than anything.

Oh, wait. There it is! Fresh mint - those sprigs of mint that go into fancy cocktail drinks. Country club spring party, much, complete with arrangements of roses on every table? Mint blends with rose for a very pink/green, refreshing scent.

Eee love. 9.5/10.